The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Luthien on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 pm

I think it's way too much and a money-grab by Hollywood, but I'm old and crotchety about movies these days. I really dislike this "split the story in half" thing that's so popular. I didn't really like it with Harry Potter, it's needless for the paper-thin plot of Breaking Dawn, and I hate the idea of Mockingjay being cut off midway to make room for a second movie. Three Hobbit movies is overkill. I haven't been keeping close track of what is being added to the Hobbit's plot: are they pulling the material from the Silmarillion, and/or the Unfinished Tales? I hope they're not making stuff up. That would seem pointless given the reams of material Tolkien created.

Luthien

Posts : 204
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  laddical on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Saul Zaentz's rights don't include "The Silmarillion" or Unfinished Tales, so everything extra is being pulled from the Appendices to "Return of the King".
avatar
laddical

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  ulkis on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:29 am

Luthien wrote:I think it's way too much and a money-grab by Hollywood, but I'm old and crotchety about movies these days. I really dislike this "split the story in half" thing that's so popular. I didn't really like it with Harry Potter, it's needless for the paper-thin plot of Breaking Dawn, and I hate the idea of Mockingjay being cut off midway to make room for a second movie. Three Hobbit movies is overkill. I haven't been keeping close track of what is being added to the Hobbit's plot: are they pulling the material from the Silmarillion, and/or the Unfinished Tales? I hope they're not making stuff up. That would seem pointless given the reams of material Tolkien created.

I agree, except for Deathly Hallows. Although now I'm sorta regretting they did it because now every successful YA franchise thinks they can do it too. Unless your book is 700 pages too, you only need one movie! And in HP's case it was also because they already cut so much shit out of the other books.

For the Hobbit to be three movies is ridiculous. It's like 200 pages!

ulkis

Posts : 762
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Cynara on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 am

Oh God. They are going to have to put in every single goddamn song/dance/epic poem/digression/thinly veiled British history lesson Tolkien wrote. Oh more God...what if this means Tom Bombadil?

Cynara

Posts : 421
Join date : 2011-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  laddical on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 am

I almost think I'd feel better about it if they'd just rebrand the project. Stop calling it "The Hobbit" and just call it "The Lord of the Rings" prequels - including putting "The Lord of the Rings" in the titles and logos.

Which would suck, because I liked the way they'd titled the two "Hobbit" movies "An Unexpected Journey" and "There and Back Again", but at this point it'd just be truth in advertising.
avatar
laddical

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  punzy on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:33 am

Cynara wrote:Oh God. They are going to have to put in every single goddamn song/dance/epic poem/digression/thinly veiled British history lesson Tolkien wrote. Oh more God...what if this means Tom Bombadil?

Noooooooooo! Please no. Although if they work in the whole Tom Bombadil is evil theory, I would be less inclined to set fire to things.

punzy

Posts : 966
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Luthien on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:57 pm

The appendices only? I wonder what that will include, exactly. Will Sean Astin and Sarah McLeod return as Sam and Rosie, and show us all thirteen of their children? I know Orlando Bloom is supposed to be appearing, what about John Rhys-Davies? Will they show Legolas and Gimli building the boat and sailing to the Undying Lands? Or will it all be First and Second Age stuff, long before any LOTR characters appear, apart from elves? Even with the appendices, two movies was more than enough.

This person on twitter said it best:

@TolkienLibrary @theoneringnet Bilbo's reaction to the announcement of 3rd movie: “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

Luthien

Posts : 204
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  wenchsenior on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Luthien wrote:The appendices only? I wonder what that will include, exactly. Will Sean Astin and Sarah McLeod return as Sam and Rosie, and show us all thirteen of their children? I know Orlando Bloom is supposed to be appearing, what about John Rhys-Davies? Will they show Legolas and Gimli building the boat and sailing to the Undying Lands? Or will it all be First and Second Age stuff, long before any LOTR characters appear, apart from elves? Even with the appendices, two movies was more than enough.

This person on twitter said it best:

@TolkienLibrary @theoneringnet Bilbo's reaction to the announcement of 3rd movie: “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

I haven't looked at the appendices in years...didn't the Hobbit-era stuff cover a bunch of stuff about Elrond's wife being captured by orcs and raped/tortured, and about Aragorn and Arwen meeting, and Aragorn's wanderings with Gandalf and them capturing Gollum? I always assumed some of that would be in the Hobbit anyway, but then they took so long to actually film it, and Viggo didn't return and Liv Tyler didn't return, so I figured all that was out the window. Honestly, I'm not sure what's actually supposed to be in the movie already, and what could potentially be added in...

wenchsenior

Posts : 153
Join date : 2012-01-23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 pm

punzy wrote:
Cynara wrote:Oh God. They are going to have to put in every single goddamn song/dance/epic poem/digression/thinly veiled British history lesson Tolkien wrote. Oh more God...what if this means Tom Bombadil?
Noooooooooo! Please no. Although if they work in the whole Tom Bombadil is evil theory, I would be less inclined to set fire to things.
Yessssss, Tom Bombadil!! Hee hee. I am Tom Bombadil's only friend.

I agree the three movies thing is ridiculous. What's the third one going to be called, "The Hobbit: Back Again from the Unexpected Journey, But Still Doing Things and Stuff"?
avatar
Instant Monkeys

Posts : 1783
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:12 pm

I like Tom Bombadil too, but I'm not sure he's really movie material.

Red Wolf

Posts : 707
Join date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Guest on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:00 pm

It really should be one three-hour film.

All that being said, even if it were nine hours of Ian McKellen walking back and forth across the screen, I'll be there all three opening nights.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Luthien on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:41 pm

I am Tom Bombadil's only friend.

Well, you and Stephen Colbert. I like Tom Bombadil fine, too. I wasn't the least surprised or upset that he was cut from the LOTR movies, but he's kind of fun to read about in the books. The slash fans would have all their dreams come true if they read the part where Tom tells the four hobbits to run around naked in the grass after the barrow-wight attack.

Luthien

Posts : 204
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:52 am

This article from io9 makes me more optimistic about the three-way split. Also, if the following actually happens, I'm already prepared to declare it/them the best film(s) ever:
In his statement on Facebook confirming the trilogy Jackson singles out The Battle of Dol Guldur as something he couldn't capture without breaking the book into three parts. This is the battle where Galadriel kicks a lot of ass. They fight orcs who ride werewolves and giant spiders, so yeah, awesome. But Galadriel just rips down the walls. It's impressive, and helps explain why everyone is so petrified of her awesome power in LOTR.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  bookworm on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Honestly the whole thing with the White Council and the fight with the Necromancer could be its own movie. I trust that PJ will continue is excellent adaption of the material.
avatar
bookworm

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2011-10-22
Age : 37
Location : Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  chibimanda on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 am

Oh wow, I had some serious doubts about them cutting this up into 3 movies, but this does sound amazing. Especially because in the books you know that Galadriel is awesome, but that's only because they tell you she is. They don't really go into detail of why, so the fact that they are going to go over that in detail just has me super excited. She's one of the oldest living beings in Middle Earth, and we will get to see the extent of her power. I forsee a lot more of Cleolinda's Galadriel icons.
avatar
chibimanda

Posts : 81
Join date : 2011-11-13

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  bookworm on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 pm

At first glance I expected Brad Pitt to start mumbling about Chanel No. 5.
avatar
bookworm

Posts : 1083
Join date : 2011-10-22
Age : 37
Location : Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Guest on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Stephen Colbert to have a cameo in The Hobbit?

After Luthien's link, I hope it's as Tom Bombadil.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  laddical on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Empire.com is streaming the complete Original Soundtrack Recording, officially.

They explain that legal reasons mean you can't search through the soundtrack at will, but you can listen to the whole thing - 1 hour and 45 minutes.
avatar
laddical

Posts : 1607
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Gillian on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm

We did the Lord of the Rings marathon at the movie theater this weekend in preparation for spending more time at the theater for The Hobbit this week, and damn. I don't even care that it took the whole damn day, that was a Saturday well-spent. I felt like I was in high school again.

When we got to The Two Towers and the extended flashback bit of Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor (where Boromir is a party dude, Denethor is a gigantic ass, and Faramir is a sad panda), I was thinking to myself how I would watch the shit out of a Gondor TV series. I don't know anybody's back-stories because my only experience with this world is through the movies, but I would be all over the family angst, political intrigue, and hot brothers. And then I realized that's probably what Game of Thrones is, so I should probably just start watching that instead.

Gillian

Posts : 472
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Ji Xiang on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Hey, we did that too!

Okay, tried to. I got through Fellowship and then just got so uncomfortable we went shopping for strollers. Then watched "The Two Towers" at home on the TV :-( But still, I love these movies so much.

And midnight tickets to the Hobbit this Thursday...

Ji Xiang

Posts : 219
Join date : 2011-10-23

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Agent Sculder on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Gillian wrote:When we got to The Two Towers and the extended flashback bit of Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor (where Boromir is a party dude, Denethor is a gigantic ass, and Faramir is a sad panda), I was thinking to myself how I would watch the shit out of a Gondor TV series. I don't know anybody's back-stories because my only experience with this world is through the movies, but I would be all over the family angst, political intrigue, and hot brothers. And then I realized that's probably what Game of Thrones is, so I should probably just start watching that instead.

Pretty much. Although instead of one dysfunctional family there are MULTIPLE dysfunctional families. And of course
Spoiler:
DRAGONS
.

Agent Sculder

Posts : 263
Join date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  MichiSichi on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Loved it! Too bad it's a trilogy... I think it could have been shorter in places
avatar
MichiSichi

Posts : 291
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Raksha on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 am

I got to go to the midnight showing last night and it was great! I didn't feel like it was too long at all. I really would have appreciated an intermission somewhere in the middle (they got to Rivendell with all that rushing water and I was like "Oh, no. No. Please stop that"), but I ended up not even getting up to go because there wasn't a part where things were slow enough that I wouldn't miss a ton of stuff. My mom was the same way. It was such a fun, beautiful movie!


I will once again complain about 3D, though. The 2D showing was already sold out the day before, so when my mom's friend was buying all of our tickets, she ended up with the 3D tickets. This movie didn't really need 3D. It added nothing. And by a half hour in I had a splitting headache and by 45 minutes in, my entire face was hurting. Finally, I just took the 3D glasses off, but the picture on the screen is funky to help make the 3D effect, and that hurt my head too. Luckily, I happen to be nearsighted and we were sitting at the very back of the theater (great seats, actually), so I took off my glasses and the blur from my nearsightedness actually re-integrated the image a bit. It was still blurry, but not too bad, and my headache went away!
avatar
Raksha

Posts : 963
Join date : 2011-10-22
Age : 36
Location : 137

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  MichiSichi on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:25 am

I generally hate 3d and after reading your comments I am so glad I did not go that route
avatar
MichiSichi

Posts : 291
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum