Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

+49
Fiammetta
Skyblade
slmader
naughty zoot
vwlphb
Poubelle
particle_person
Putli Bai
lisa
Jamie
sagitare
Coneycat
Snarryfan
jensa
inversed
year of the cat
QueenSix
epudom
The Glen
Raksha
MichiSichi
Agent Sculder
Ji Xiang
Gillian
chibimanda
Red Wolf
Instant Monkeys
wenchsenior
Cynara
ulkis
laddical
punzy
Wildog27
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
sixchooks
rivki8699
Cutebutpsycho
xyzzy
sen3
bbridges
Tabby
Unlucky Bear
Simbelmyne
ActonBell
queenofdenile
Luthien
elleth
bookworm
53 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  Gillian Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 am

It was a gorgeous, gorgeous movie, but yeah. I hate 3D. Wearing those glasses for almost three hours was the worst. They squeezed my head the whole time, so I had to take them off and watch the movie be blurry a few times. Never again!

But seriously. This movie was so gorgeous. I need to see it again to firm up my opinion on the actual story (I think I'm getting too old for midnight showings. I totally dozed off when they were in Rivendell), but I'd watch the whole movie again with broken sound just for the visuals. It was absolutely beautiful.

Also, spending 3 hours listening to Richard Armitage's voice is never a waste of time.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings - Page 3 Empty Re: The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

Post  laddical Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:32 am

I could take or leave the 3D, but I thought the high frame-rate was gorgeous, and that can only be seen in 3D at the moment.

Unfortunately, that's a minority opinion, so the likelihood that the technology will get the attention it deserves to get better is slim.

I'm not going to even try to defend the movie to haters or even just to people who thought it was too long - I can definitely see the points to be made. But I enjoyed every minute of it, didn't think it felt like almost three hours, and I wouldn't cut a thing.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 am

Ditto. It was awesome and went by quicker than I thought. I need to read the Silmarillion and all the appendices again.

Also, Bofur is my jam.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 pm

I'll hopefully get time to see it this week or over Christmas, but I'm quite excited after these comments!

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:23 pm

I saw both the IMAX 3D and the 2D (I KNOW), and I have to say that while the 3D was gorgeous, it was a weird watching experience. It was a bit overwhelming at times.

My thoughts are that I liked it, thought not as much as LOTR, but it still awoke all those feelings of joy and wonder.

Last edited by bookworm on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 am

So I'd like to reiterate my support for the High Frame Rate format. Especially after just coming back from seeing it again in IMAX 3D. What a miserable experience - too dark, too blurry. I'd rather have the occasional hiccup where it looks like someone's moving just a hair faster than they should be and have a clean, gorgeous image than deal with that again.

If they can't project it at a resolution where you can't see the pixels, they have no business blowing it up into IMAX.

So if you can't see HFR 3D (and sadly, you can't see HFR 2D), stick with 2D. But if you have a chance, I recommend checking out the HFR. It really is stunning, especially if you're able to compare it to a different presentation format.

ETA: I don't know if it's just the format change or what, but I kept thinking that Aidan Turner looked an *awful* lot like Dominic Monaghan. Like I started wondering if maybe Merry has a little dwarf in his gene pool.

Also also - I wondered this both times, why do Radagast and Bofur have such similar hats? What is that wing style they're rocking and is it meant to signify something?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am

I saw IMAX 3D. It was beautiful, but it was so fast at times that is was kind of blurry.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 am

laddical wrote:I don't know if it's just the format change or what, but I kept thinking that Aidan Turner looked an *awful* lot like Dominic Monaghan. Like I started wondering if maybe Merry has a little dwarf in his gene pool.
I agree! When Aidan Turner and, uh, the other goofy dwarf came in and acted silly, my sister was all, "Well, hello, Merry and Pippin." Then Turner made a face where he looked SO MUCH like Monaghan, and we were like, "WHAAAAATTT?" It was after midnight and I was exhausted, so I reacted to the resemblance a little more strongly than I should have.

Is Lee Pace going to have more of a role in either of the other two movies? Because his elven "IIIIIIIIIII don't think soooooooo" face (and his MOOSE!) were absolute comedy gold. I totally get why Gimli is such a bitch to Legolas now.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 am

Lee will be in the next two movies
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 am

He's the King of Mirkwood, so when the Dwarves get captured there he should have an extensive role. And then I believe he shows up again at the Battle of Five Armies.

I totally didn't recognize him the first time through. I miss the Pie Maker.

It had never really occurred to me how directly the bad blood between Legolas and Gimli flowed - it was more than just the standard "Dwarves and Elves hate each other." "Yer father gave the finger to my da and his cousins when the dragon came to Erebor, ya dumb Elvish princeling! Feel lucky ya do'na have my axe already lodged in your nervous system!"

I had forgotten that Brickleberry Bumbershoot was playing the Necromancer as well as Smaug. I couldn't figure out why he got a credit on this movie without showing up while Evangeline Lilly didn't. I guess he did some motion capture work for that two second fog shrouded shot of a vaguely man-shaped thing?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Saw this on Saturday in Edinburgh with my old room mate with whom I watched each of the LOTR films, so it was a nice trip down memory lane. I never finished reading the book as I got annoyed by all the songs, so when the dwarves started singing at Bilbo's I was a bit concerned, but at least it was only once.

It was mostly nice to see Middle Earth/ New Zealand in all of its glory once again, and even though I can't yet tell all of the dwarves apart (aside from Richard Armitage, Aiden Turner and James Nesbit), I loved Martin Freeman as Bilbo, and might've squeed a bit when Elrond and Galadriel showed up. I now want there to be lots of Gandalf/Galadriel fic (non sexual but mostly telepathic.)

More than anything I'm looking forward to the DVD release so I can see how Richard Taylor, head of WETA workshop is doing via the DVD extras. I've missed him.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:28 pm

We went to the late show on Saturday night. It was in 2D but I still thought the first few scenes looked a bit odd until they got into the story proper with Young Bilbo. Was that the frame rate doing that? I don't know. It didn't deter too much from my enjoyment, it was just a little "what's this now?"

Anyway, we really enjoyed it. My mother was happy to see Gandalf again (after she saw Fellowship back in 2001, she was bereft thinking that Gandalf was dead. I never told her he was going to pop up in The Two Towers so when we went to see it a year later, I got an almighty puck in the ribs and she hissed at me when he appeared. It was worth it), and I was happy to see Aidan Turner. I am very glad that they didn't put too much prosthetics on him so I could gaze happily upon his features because I have missed seeing him in Being Human UK.

I haven't read The Hobbit in over twenty years so had no idea what was changed and what wasn't so we just went with it. Galadriel looked as supreme as ever - loved the turntable way they had for her to turn around while the train of her dress stayed put. Oh, to be able to do that!

It was solid entertainment, good fun, good action and I liked it. Not sure if I'm as rabid about seeing it umpteen times like I was with Fellowship but that may be more that my circumstances have changed and as well, I'm not in a job that used to break my brain so I was happy to seek refuge going to see the LoTR trilogy more than once.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 am

If I have anxiety issues, will I still be able to watch? I saw RTK in theaters, but had to skip the Batman movies and i would like to go if I can this Christmas...
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:08 am

It's fairly lighthearted. The most intense scene is actually non-action, I think - the "Riddles in the Dark" moment with Gollum, which doesn't begin to approach the intensity of Shelob's lair or the Frodo/Gollum fight in RTK. So if you made it through that, this film should be a walk for you.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 am

I saw it last night and was pretty "meh" on it, to my supreme disappointment. The first 20 minutes or so, the frame rate drove me CRAZY. I felt like I was watching a video game or a soap opera! But I (mostly) got used to it in the end. But it just didn't pull me in and grip me tight like LOTR did. I kept reminding myself that the Hobbit is a very different story (more lighthearted, as laddical said) but it just didn't hold together for me. And it was definitely too long, which is saying something since I can watch the Extended Editions without batting an eye. I mean, it was cool
Spoiler:

And now I feel like a bad fangirl. :(

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  jensa Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Saw it this weekend in plain old 2D and loved it. I don't care about the film speed or whatever, for me it was all about seeing the Shire and the hobbits and Gandalf and the elves and Rivendell and even Gollum. I have watched the LOTR movies so many times that this felt like coming home. Just seeing Bilbo and Frodo almost brought me to tears. I haven't read the book in many years, so I didn't notice too many changes and probably wouldn't have minded them anyway. It never felt like it was three hours long, I kept worrying that it would end too soon. My only disappointment was that it will be another year until Part 2.

I remember seeing the old Rankin and Bass cartoon when I was probably 6 or 7 years old and the goblins terrified me. My son and I watched it a few years ago and he thought it was the funniest thing ever, so during the movie he kept elbowing me and pointing at the goblins. At one point he even asked if I needed to leave. Stupid snarky child.
jensa
jensa

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Watching ROTK last night and I was reminded of a question I always had about LOTR. I have never read the books so could someone explain why the eye of Sauron is so terrible? He's all-encompassing evil but...he's an eyeball. He can blink in a threatening manner. And what can he do with the Ring being that he's an eye? Would they toss it into him and *poof* body? I get that he has armies of bad but so much time is talking about his specific threat and he's an eyeball.

Also, I get so uncomfortable when Aragorn eats Arwen's face at the end. Dude! Her dad is right there!!

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  chibimanda Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 am

Well, a giant flaming Eye would probably have been a lot scarier in Tolkien's time, but for us jaded folk we just want to poke it or kick dust in it. When reading the books though, I always got the impression that it's not just the giant disembodied eye of a demi-god, but the force of evil behind it. It's mentioned several times in the book that The Eye can see everything, through rock and clouds and flesh and bone. You can't hide from it, even in your own mind. If you came into contact with anything that had to do with Sauron, he was aware of it, and could see you. Frodo was naked before him everytime he put on the ring, and just wearing it put him under his influence. The Palantir was used by Sauron to sway the Steward of Gondor into giving up all hope and driving him to madness. So it's more the force of evil will behind Sauron than the eye. As for what would happen to him once he got the ring, I always just assumed there would be lots of smoke and fire and then a giant figure would materialize out of nowhere to kick ass.
chibimanda
chibimanda

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 am

We only ever see Sauron as a giant eye in the "modern" time, but he does have a corporeal form as seen in the flashback to the "Last Alliance of Elves and Men" at the beginning of "Fellowship". There's debate as to whether he has any corporeal form any more, or if he needs the One Ring to regain it, but as Chibimanda points out, even if he's just a disembodied eye he has a force of will behind him that can bend others to his bidding and even without the One Ring he's insanely powerful and cannot be killed. If the One Ring had never been found, Sauron would still have pulled his armies together and marched on Gondor and probably would have won in the long term - it's only the destruction of the Ring that ends Sauron forever before his army stampedes right over Aragorn at the Black Gate.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 am

Making Sense of Kili, the Hot Dwarf

I didn't see this movie entirely for Aidan Turner, but as a fan of Being Human (UK) I confess I had no problem with the fact he was there. With his own face.

That dwarf-ranking referred to in the story was bullshit, though. No way anyone is hotter than Thorin Oakenshield!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:01 am

He really is, as noted in my favorite fan review:
..the movie doesn't want you to ever forget how smokin' the Dwarf Lord is, so it spends all his shots licking his face with light. In the forest? Dappled flicker! Goblin cave full of fire pits? Perfect amber glow! ("It's a trap! I can't believe it! I am so handsome about this.") This comes in handy as a distraction when he's a rampaging jerk, or when he's telling Bilbo to get his whiny ass back to the Shire, or refusing to go to the elves for help because elves are the worst and if you are a wizard who brings him to Rivendell for shelter he's going to be pissed as hell. ("I am so handsome at you right now, Gandalf.")

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:26 am

I always get a little confused about actual power levels, but the Valar are all god-like beings who live in the West, and Sauron was one of their rank originally (sort of like a fallen angel-type). I believe he originally led a small band of followers of slightly lesser rank, which eventually became the balrogs. Incidentally, Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, and those two blue wizards who buggered off to the Eastern lands are (I think) lesser Valar, too, of approximately equal power to those that became balrogs (which I think is the reason Tolkien had the big Gandalf/Balrog duel in FotR).

So essentially you have Sauron as insanely powerful god, who originally was apparently very beautiful and charsmatic, too, but who tricked the elves into teaching him speshul arcane powers about rings, which he used to make himself SOOPER POWERFUL, and he fell into EEEEVIL and all that. Sauron's original power came from his sneaky 'seductive' charisma (a little like Saruman, come to think), but eventually he made himself powerful with spells, armies, castles, super-armor, minions, and all the usual trappings. By the time he's in eyeball form, the threat he poses is mainly his ability to see into minds and souls, to corrupt them, and to control events from afar (which in my opionion is a lot scarier than just a big armoured guy on a battlefield). However, it's hard to convey it with an eyeball. I think that's why in the book, you get scaled down metaphorical versions of the same concept: Saruman's fall into evil (he's basically a Sauron stand-in, what with his charisma, desire for power, envy of Gandalf (much like Sauron envied the elves' knowledge), tower, minions, lusting after the ring, etc). And of course, powerful beings like Galadrial and Gandalf are terrified by the temptation the ring poses. If they took it, they would soon be nearly as powerful as Sauron, and just as evil.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Given that the creation of Earth in "The Silmarillion" is a variation on the Fall of Lucifer, Sauron is roughly equivalent to an archangel. He's not actually Lucifer/Satan - that honor goes to Melkor, the Ainur who first broke ranks from Iluvatar's song of creation to make his own theme and create discord. Melkor became Morgoth (as in "a Balrog of Morgoth" as Gandalf describes it in "Fellowship of the Ring") and was eventually driven out of Middle Earth, leaving behind his lieutenant, Sauron, who claimed to have seen the error of his ways and offered to help with the rebuilding of Arda/Earth following the war with Morgoth. While pretending to help with reconstruction, Sauron taught the Elves how to fashion the Rings of Power and then surprise surprise he turned out to be Really Evil All Along by turning out to have created the Master Ring to control all the others.

Maybe it's just because I've read it a million times more than the rest of the book - or maybe it's just the fact that I love a good creation story - but my favorite section of The Silmarillion is "The Song of the Ainur". I love the notion of Iluvatar/God creating a simple theme and then inviting his angels to create harmonies for it and that being the core of creation.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

And if you have never read The Silmarillion but are still curious, there is a LOTR wiki to help. I may have spent an hour or two there this morning. That counts as research right?

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 pm

sen3 wrote:He really is, as noted in my favorite fan review:
..the movie doesn't want you to ever forget how smokin' the Dwarf Lord is, so it spends all his shots licking his face with light. In the forest? Dappled flicker! Goblin cave full of fire pits? Perfect amber glow! ("It's a trap! I can't believe it! I am so handsome about this.")
"I'm so handsome about this" - HA! That's brilliant - and true! (*dreamy sigh*)
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum