Celebrity Fashion

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Celebrity Fashion

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue May 06, 2014 1:28 am

I love the color of Rachel McAdams' dress, but the shape is so blah. I love her though, so she can really do no actual wrong in my book. Zoe Saldana looks stunning as always. I love the upper half of the dress, but the bottom? Not so much. Sarah Silverman's gown is OUTSTANDING on her. Gorgeous color, cut, shape, everything.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 am

Kirsten Dunst's dress is fun, and pretty too.

ETA: I should probably provide a link.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Tue May 06, 2014 6:31 am

The other thing I liked about Sarah Silverman's dress was that it was very much in line with the theme this year which was honoring Charles James. He was famous for his mid 20th century ball gowns, and I was surprised at how many women weren't wearing ball gowns. I had heard that this year Anna Wintour was determined to class up the joint (particularly after honoring punk fashion last year) and that the dress code for this year was pretty clear that ladies were supposed to wear big ol' gowns, and that gentlemen had better wear white tie. There's actually a cute article at NYT today wear a bunch of the designers explain why they aren't in white tie and tails. Among the excuses: "They're shortening."

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 am

I didn't know that, and that explains why so much Zac Posen and Marchesa, but I wish most had gone in a different ball gown direction, like Oscar de la Renta.

I appreciate that the theme required the men to put in some effort too, though, it's true that tails are shortening.

ETA: ok, I looked through some of the photos again, and there was a lot of Oscar de la Renta, a lot of it not great.

Last edited by puddingcup on Tue May 06, 2014 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 am

I also laughed at Lea Michelle because you know TLo's sole reaction will be, "Of course."
I had the exact same though. And laughed out loud.

Is Lupita's gown referencing a certain design of Charles James? Because it seems so out there. Failed homage or not, I have to believe there's a reason? Also, there's a lot of wrinkled satin going on on that red carpet. Awkward.

I actually kind of love Katie Holmes's dress, although her hair is a hot mess. I loved Emmy Rossum's gown as well. Apparently I'm into yellow right now.

(Unrelated to fashion: Jim Parsons and his partner are adorable. That's the first time I've ever seen them holding hands anywhere. Yay!)

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 am

I too think Katie Holmes dress is pretty great, the bust is CRAZY, but that's what the MET Gala is for, going big.

I have to believe there's a reason?

Like was said above I saw it as a Josephine Baker reference, it missed the mark, though I actually still kind of like it, but like Blanchett her poise and confidence can often make a bad dress work more than it should.

Aside form Katie, my favorites, were Maggie Gyllenhaal, Kirsten Dunst, Hailee Steinfeld, Hayden Panietierre, Marion Cotillard. Maggie's dress is both 60's mod and fashion forward.

There was a lot of satin and a lot of nipples (OHAI Elizabeth Olsen) on display last night.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 am

I'm usually pretty understanding about the difficulty of trying to match formal wear to the theme (superheroes, punk, wha?), but there's really no excuse for the misses this year. The theme was literally "as fancy as you can possibly be". I don't know how so many people were going for minis, cocktail dresses, figure skating costumes. This year should've been a gimme.

And to contradict all that, I weirdly liked Cara Delevingne's tribute to Grease outfit. I mean, why not, I guess?
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Tue May 06, 2014 11:53 am

Hadn't really noticed the tails shortening thing until I got to Johnny Depp, who looks like John Leguizamo as Toulouse Lautrec in Moulin Rouge.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 pm

swsa wrote:I'm usually pretty understanding about the difficulty of trying to match formal wear to the theme (superheroes, punk, wha?), but there's really no excuse for the misses this year. The theme was literally "as fancy as you can possibly be". I don't know how so many people were going for minis, cocktail dresses, figure skating costumes. This year should've been a gimme.

Upon learning that, I agree. By that standard, there were a lot of low key prom dresses.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue May 06, 2014 3:13 pm

"as fancy as you can possibly be"
Ah! Messrs. Harris and Burka now can be positively re-evaluated in that context.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan on Tue May 06, 2014 3:57 pm

Corvus wrote:
"as fancy as you can possibly be"
Ah! Messrs. Harris and Burka now can be positively re-evaluated in that context.

Eh. I think about the only gentlemen who genuinely served up white-tie-done-right (with a healthy side order of cheekbones) was Benny Cumberbund. But then, he's had plenty of practice with his period work.

(Oddly, my runner-up in the men's division would have to be Kanye West. Pity about his arm candy, but at least she didn't look like drapes this year)
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue May 06, 2014 5:18 pm

nazlan wrote:This may be Lupita Nyong'o's first ever strikeout for me. It's like she's trying to channel Josephine Baker and something got garbled on the astral plane.

While definitely not a hit, I don't think her outfit was completely a miss, especially compared to some of the others. It looked funky and fun, and I liked her make up and headpiece.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Benny Cumberbund
I leave the evaluation of the merits to others - I am relieved to know they were working toward a specific remit. Ms Nyongo as well, I presume. As opposed to just going kooky clear out of nowhere. Perhaps the invite was worded to be very subjective. (Personally, I'd have loved to have them swap outfits with the Olsens.)
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue May 06, 2014 6:26 pm

I stared at Katie Holmes dress for a long time before deciding I liked it. I think I would have liked it better (or sooner) in a different color.

I have no idea who "Arizona Muse" is, but her gown is stunning. I also liked Lily Aldridge.

Shailene Woodley looks like she's wearing a craft project.

Finally, I need Anne Hathaway's shoes in my life.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Wed May 07, 2014 12:31 am

I think that some people confused the dress code (White Tie & Decorations) on the invite with the actual theme of this year's exhibit which is "Charles James: Beyond Fashion". I know I've seen commentors at fashion websites referring to theme as "white tie and decorations". Too bad people didn't take five seconds to google what that phrase means. As I understand it: gentlemen should wear white tie and tails, and any medals and/or investitures they have earned (like Order of the Garter) and ladies should wear full length ball gowns, gloves, and lots of jewelry. Since ball gowns themselves can be kinda boring sometimes, I had been hoping that this year's theme meant that the ladies would be dripping in diamonds and major gems, and that MAYBE someone might even bust out a tiara.

I know Anna Wintour specifically wanted to honor Charles James at the Met Ball because then people would have to really dress up this year. Unfortunately, only a few guys did the full on white tie (major snaps to them all) and very few of the ladies (the major exception being most of the models) wore big gowns. Not many designers do big ball gowns, so I would have thought some people might have tried to go vintage and track down some actual mid-century gowns because Charles James was a huge influence in that period.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed May 07, 2014 11:05 am

Putli Bai wrote:I stared at Katie Holmes dress for a long time before deciding I liked it.  I think I would have liked it better (or sooner) in a different color.

I wish Katie hadn't been slouching. Is it really that hard to stand up straight when wearing a ball gown? /grumpy old dowager

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 am

KStew's dress is the sort of "edgy" mess she usually wears, but, as one faux redhead to another: good grief woman, touch up your roots! It's not like you didn't know the Met Ball was happening. (Or at least have your colorist use a darker shade closer to your natural color.)

I liked Rihanna's dress for being very her. Same goes for Janelle Monae's outfit. SJP's dress looked like an actual midcentury ballgown, so props for theme. And I 100% agree that Mr. Cummerbund was the best dressed man.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Tell me the asymmetrical peplum dress is not going to become a thing...

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 pm

Arabella wrote:Tell me the asymmetrical peplum dress is not going to become a thing...

I usually love her style, but oh no no no.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Oh Gods, that is hideous.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Hah! Hahahaha! (chuckle)

Oh dear.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:10 pm

She looks lovely, but noooo. Peplum isn't meant to be asymmetrical. It just looks dumb, like she didn't tug her dress down all the way.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:She looks lovely, but noooo. Peplum isn't meant to be asymmetrical. It just looks dumb, like she didn't tug her dress down all the way.

Hate the dress, but wow, she's really grown up to be stunning. And is now looking quite a lot like January Jones, much moreso than when she was cast as her daughter.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Yup, Emmy fashion was so boring it doesn't even warrant posts in this thread.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:09 pm

There was soooo much white and sooo much red.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus was hands down the best dressed for me. Lena Dunham was the absolute WORST.

The OITNB ladies looked great (mostly), and I also loved Anna Gunn's gown.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top