Parks and Recreation

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Parks and Recreation

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 pm

That was simply perfect. I absolutely *loved* it. So sweet, so happy.

Apparently it was purposefully ambiguous as to who the secret service were there for - Ben or Leslie. Though in Leslie's speech after being a two term governor, she mentioned moving onto bigger things. (Or something like that.)

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I think my favorite bit was Leslie's complete inability to play it cool in trying to get Oliver and Sonia together.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm betting that Leslie becomes the first female president. Wasn't that another one of her dreams as a child?

My only complaint: no Jamm. Oh, and I kind of hoped Louis CK would come back, because I adore him and thought he had a great character on this show.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  shamoogity on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Apparently they filmed flash-forwards for Jamm and, kind of hilariously, Shawna Malway-Tweep, but they were cut for time. They're supposed to be in the producer's cut that's going up on nbc.com soon.

shamoogity

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:19 pm

I hate the smug assholery on display in the Geico "Everybody knows that" ads, but I admit I was tickled to recognize Shawna Malway-Tweep in the "Literal Genie" version.

I like the way they subtly hinted at President Knope at Garry's funeral but didn't elaborate on it in Leslie's future. Part of me thinks I should feel cheated, but with everything else we got, it's hard to complain about something like that.

Disappointing finales are such a rule that I keep trying to poke around and find something that didn't set well with me but, no, this finale was practically perfect.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:51 pm

So...I actually *didn't* like how the finale tied everything up in a neat little package, and I thought the pacing was a little odd. Actually, were there talking heads? I just realized I don't remember if there were talking heads. I feel like talking heads are central to the feel of P&R.

Normally I am a sucker for "how everything turned out for everyone" epilogues in TV shows and books, but the common criticism of those is they are self-indulgent, and honestly, although I love this show, and I love that everyone on this show loves making this show together...there were some great moments in the episode, but this did feel self-indulgent to me. Also, everyone on the Internet is comparing it to SFU, but the SFU thing was a five-minute montage at the end of their finale, and it was absolutely fantastic, but it wasn't the entire episode, and it was central to the theme of SFU.

I sense I am in the minority on this...
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:01 pm

No talking heads, true, but there were the odd sideways glances towards the camera (particularly from Ben).
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:31 pm

I loved it! And everything didn't turn out okay for everyone, did you not see that Leslie is going to have to deal with the fact that she has a LIBRARY named after her!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  shamoogity on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 am

Normally I am a sucker for "how everything turned out for everyone" epilogues in TV shows and books, but the common criticism of those is they are self-indulgent, and honestly, although I love this show, and I love that everyone on this show loves making this show together...there were some great moments in the episode, but this did feel self-indulgent to me. Also, everyone on the Internet is comparing it to SFU, but the SFU thing was a five-minute montage at the end of their finale, and it was absolutely fantastic, but it wasn't the entire episode, and it was central to the theme of SFU.

I totally agree that parts felt quite self-indulgent. I always liked that this show repeatedly allowed its characters to fail and that it acknowledged that just trying your best didn't mean that the public was going to appreciate you. The characters were lovable underdogs. But then they had Garry be mayor based on write-in ballots? And then Pawnee kept electing him for the rest of his life? And he died on his 100th birthday? That was a bit too cartoonish for me. I'm actually really glad they only subtly hinted that Leslie became president, as a full-on reveal would have been too over-the-top for me. I also found Leslie touching each person before their flash-forward really awkward.

It was a very sweet and moving finale overall--I just didn't find that it fit the tone of the show up to now very well. I sort of felt that about this whole last season though.

shamoogity

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 am

I totally agree that parts felt quite self-indulgent. I always liked that this show repeatedly allowed its characters to fail and that it acknowledged that just trying your best didn't mean that the public was going to appreciate you. The characters were lovable underdogs. But then they had Garry be mayor based on write-in ballots? And then Pawnee kept electing him for the rest of his life? And he died on his 100th birthday? That was a bit too cartoonish for me. I'm actually really glad they only subtly hinted that Leslie became president, as a full-on reveal would have been too over-the-top for me. I also found Leslie touching each person before their flash-forward really awkward.

It was a very sweet and moving finale overall--I just didn't find that it fit the tone of the show up to now very well. I sort of felt that about this whole last season though.

I agree with all of this. The touching before each flash forward was so awkward and unnecessary and self-consciously magicky. However, I still really enjoyed the finale in general, because I am a sucker for any kind of flash forward, or epilogue-type explanation (even if it's only some text scroll or photos at the credits - Four Weddings and Funeral had the best ones). It's so satisfying.

The Garry future was totally ridiculous, but because the Garry-bashing on the show is one aspect I never enjoyed, I liked how he got his absurdly beloved ending. It was funny how Christie Brinkley looked exactly the same when Garry was 100, and only Ben seemed to find it odd. And his future was more fun than Chris and Ann's realistic one, which could be summed up as: we're the same and happy and moving back to Pawnee. I would've rather seen focus on so many other minor characters during the time given to Craig (or Jamm or Shawna M-T, for that matter): Tammy 2, Perd, Bobby Newport, Barney the accountant, Crazy Ira and the Douche - if they had had one line on each? But i know everyone has different favorites and you can't please everyone.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:05 pm

I was a bit skeptical when the flash-forwards started, but by the end, I just loved it. It was totally self-indulgent, but in the best possible way. I was glad they got to send the show off the way they wanted, and that everyone turned out just fine. I felt ok with saying goodbye at the end. (Well, as ok as I was ever going to feel about this.) I wish we'd gotten one more scene with Ron and Diane before the end, but I guess Lucy Lawless just wasn't available. I would have swapped out Craig's flash forward for Jamm's, or one from Tammy2 even, but that's a minor beef.

Mike Schur says it's supposed to be ambiguous whether Leslie is President or not. She totally is. And she and Ben are the best. (Is this where I shamelessly confess that "Benajmin Wyatt" is currently on our baby name list?)
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Such a sweet finale. On any other show it would have been too treacly for me, but Parks and Rec has always been about friendship and optimism and decency, and the fact that it embraced those things so unapologetically in its finale makes me tear up a little. The show really was like nothing else on the air.

And Leslie shoving Ben out of the way to get to Ann? Perfect. It makes me think of Ron's reaction to seeing Leslie's word cloud: She definitely loves Ann.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:34 pm

I ended up rewatching the producer's cut and I liked it better than I did on first watch, though I still think they went way overboard on wrapping up everyone's lives... 

Deleted scenes:
I am sad that the portrait of Jamm and Leslie a la John and Yoko did not make it to air, and also, Shauna Malwae-Tweep's wrapup was pretty hilarious.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:25 pm

I enjoyed both versions and am over the moon that everything turned out swimmingly for everyone! I adore the characters oh so much that I am happy they all got their happy endings.

I also have absolutely no problem with Jerry's storyline either. It has been established throughout the course of the show that the Mayor Gunderson was a bit of a buffoon who did nothing, yet was beloved and elected time and time again so it didn't seem a stretch for the voters of Pawnee to simply keep up the status quo, one of the reasons they didn't like Leslie is because she wanted change and progress. Plus, I imagine many of the voters just wanted a chance to look at Gayle at official events.

I liked all the additions to the directors cut but understand why they were cut. I especially
Spoiler:
Andy going Neeson on Dr. Saperstein to change the date on the birth certificate and the scene that explains why Tom wrote the book because writing a book seemed a little non-fabulous an idea for Tom so I am glad his first thought was to write a ridiculously over the top action movie but because of a few words of wisdom from Ron and a supportive gift basket from Leslie and Ben he went a slightly more mature route.

Also, Bobby and Shauna's wedding was perfect for them her earnest "remember when you gave me a piece of gum," and his reaction like he was looking back so far in his memory when it was in fact five hours before was spot on for both characters. Which also is one of the reason that I will miss this show so very much, that even characters who only made a few appearances were so well defined that I both cared about their happiness and feel that something was in character.

A few other little things that I enjoyed, Belicheck is still being accused of cheating in the future, JJ's is still in business, Jean Ralphio went into the wine business, and in the ffwd with Donna April is clearly pregnant even though we haven't gotten to her ffwd but it was done subtly enough that you might not notice on first watch.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 pm

puddingcup wrote: I would've rather seen focus on so many other minor characters during the time given to Craig (or Jamm or Shawna M-T, for that matter): Tammy 2, Perd, Bobby Newport, Barney the accountant, Crazy Ira and the Douche - if they had had one line on each? But i know everyone has different favorites and you can't please everyone.

I think that's what they were doing throughout the whole season because they wouldn't have time during the finale. I was looking out for both Nick Kroll and Jason Mantzoukas, and they both appeared this season.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:06 am

Yeah tons of people were sprinkled through the last season, even the Ted who gave us Patton Oswalt's crazy awesome fillibuster (I wouldn't have minded a Patton fast forward where he sells his movie to one of the Gryzzl millionaires!) There was also a new Lerpiss! The two who I missed the most making an appearance, though they were both mentioned is Orrin and Greg Pikitis! The fact that there are so many little characters that made impression with viewers is what I will miss the most about the show. Heck, I would watch a spinoff where we follow Keg Jeggings moves to Orlando.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 am

I don't know how I missed this the first 20 times I saw the episode, but yesterday, I was watching the episode where they try to save the animal shelter, Ann's job, and the Parks budget, and I looked up just as they showed the framed "Pillner for Pawnee" napkin. I died. I was laughing so hard, it took me 5 minutes to explain what was so funny to my husband. I love that even though this show is over I can still pick up on little things that make me laugh, (even if they lead me to being very embarrassed that the WW fan in me never noticed it before).
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

View previous topic View next topic Back to top