Community

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Community

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm

I finally broke and ordered the first two seasons on DVD. I couldn't help myself. But sometimes after I finally commit to buying DVD sets, the show starts going downhill. So if the quality starts to drop you can blame it all on me, folks.

I recently got my little brother into the show and he absolutely loves it. Shirley's his favorite. I think that's nice.

I have also now seen "Remedial Chaos Theory" seven times in honor of the number of timelines.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Re: Community

Post  blixie on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:06 pm

I think that's nice.

Hee. Excellent.

Troy's lines are still killing me a week later. "It FEELS fun. You're BAD at gift giving!" I loved that Chevy got to laugh at Joel doing physical humor, I know some people hate how meta it all is, but Chevy really seemed to relish that and it made me laugh SO hard.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

"I DEMAND TO BE HOUSE-WARMED!"

I also love the "pregnancy test" setup for the reveal that Annie has a gun in her purse. I really want to live in Troy's mind for a week.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:02 am

I just got into the show this season and I am so crazy in love with it I don't care if it's "not as good as it used to be". "Remedial Chaos Theory" made me laugh until I choked. I think it was second season How I Met Your Mother the last time that happened to me.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 am

First yay, new fan!

it I don't care if it's "not as good as it used to be".

Yeah definitely, the thing is the show always been uneven generally, but particularly in the beginning of the season. Season one things didn't quite gell until Football, Feminism, and You and the Halloween episode. And last year again seemed rough until the zombie Halloween episode/Aerodynamics of Gender.

Compared to last year at this same point, the show is actually better than last year. Biology 101 was their best premiere yet, and we've had an all time classic in Remedial Chaos Theory by episode 4. I had issues with the two in between, but both contained more laughs than Basic Rocket Science/Pierces mom dies episodes last year. So no I don't get the it's not as good as it used to be, it's as hilarious and as creatively brilliant to me as ever.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 am

I know there's a difference between S1 and S2 in terms of rewatchability, at least for me.

S1, I've watched each episode roughly the same amount of times. Debate 109, Environmental Science, Comparative Religion, Physical Education, Contemporary American Poultry, Modern Warfare, and English as a Second Language got a few more views than the other episodes, but for the most part, I'd just watch the season from beginning to end.

With S2, there are some episodes I've only seen the one time and don't feel particularly fussed to watch again. But the episodes I've rewatched, I've seen an embarrassing number of times. There's not a single S1 episode I've seen as many times as Cooperative Calligraphy, Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design, or Paradigms of Human Memory. So with S2, I think the show's lows were lower than in S1, but the high points were higher.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:11 am

I would expect this season to take a little while to get going, that is generally the pattern of seasons and they have a bunch of new writers. It's going to take a little while for them to completely work like the team that was writing last year, but Dan Harmon is still in charge so I wouldn't expect it to suddenly get terrible.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:09 pm

I saw the cold opening of the Halloween episode, the psyc tests Britta gave to the group are the impetus of the ep. With the exception of Dean Pelton you don't see any costumes yet.

"We had the creppiest pizza guy."
"So in other words he was a pizza guy."
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Behind the scenes video of the first Halloween episode. Nothing huge or noteworthy; I just think Gillian's really cute in it.

I'm doing a mad rewatch of the first season right now and the early group dynamics are just fascinating to me. Somehow, knowing how awesome and hilariously dorky Britta would eventually become makes watching her in the first few episodes even worse. I can't tell if the writing for her was bad, or if Gillian just hadn't found the character yet, or if it was a combination of both, but I just find early S1 Britta so very, very painful to watch.

The first Halloween ep is where I first see the glimpses of later, much better Britta. The way she says "Yippie-ki-yay" when looking up and down at Jeff's cowboy outfit, and aggressively introduces herself to Slater, just kills me.

And calling this show the live-action Simpsons is really quite apt, because just like with The Simpsons, I can see an episode a million times and find a different funny thing that I missed the first time. "Beginner Pottery" is not one of the best ones, but it had Troy saying, "I hope I develop multiple personalities. I get lonely during long showers." I've been giggling over that all day.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:49 am

queenofdenile wrote:[url=http://www.nbc.com/community/video/hanging-with-the-cast-halloween/1169791/]I'm doing a mad rewatch of the first season right now and the early group dynamics are just fascinating to me. Somehow, knowing how awesome and hilariously dorky Britta would eventually become makes watching her in the first few episodes even worse. I can't tell if the writing for her was bad, or if Gillian just hadn't found the character yet, or if it was a combination of both, but I just find early S1 Britta so very, very painful to watch.

The first Halloween ep is where I first see the glimpses of later, much better Britta. The way she says "Yippie-ki-yay" when looking up and down at Jeff's cowboy outfit, and aggressively introduces herself to Slater, just kills me.
It's like they flipped a switch on Britta with the squirrel costume.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:03 am

This was definitely the weakest of the three Halloween episodes, but I understand that it would be hard to keep that episode fresh each year.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:36 am

I really liked this year's Halloween episode. Sure, it paled in comparison a little having to follow another episode that featured seven storylines, but everyone's scary stories were a lot of fun and there were many laugh-out-loud moments. I particularly liked Troy using pencils as a weapon. I didn't find the ending incredibly satisfying, but enjoyed everything else.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 am

bookworm wrote:This was definitely the weakest of the three Halloween episodes, but I understand that it would be hard to keep that episode fresh each year.
Yeah, but I liked it.

"Gay Marriage!"
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:32 am

I really liked this one, especially the radio announcer in Britta's story.

"There's a guy who escaped from the asylum, and he's all mental and stuff. He's got this ... thingy for a hand. Know what I mean?"
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 am

"I heard the Dean has free taco meat from the ARMY!" Nice call back to zombies, hee. Also some nice continuity in Annie's hilariously graphic *twist* ending, since she also got super into the role play of DD.

I think this episode only paled in comparison to having Remedial Chaos immediately precede it, especially since the framing device/structure were so similar. I think it was actually straight up funnier than last year, and aww I liked the end, with the sweet Happy Halloween from the group. And the jokes, they were flying heh, Fast and Furious, tee.

What the hell kind of party is this?! Just pick up a good book, and READ! And then she flossed her teeth with his tendons..., That is my kinda pot bong! WTH, why are you always so determined to have us relax, and put down our weapons? Wow, you britta'd britta'd You're using it wrong! Way to pull an Abed. Shirley don't Pierce!

Gillian Jacobs is KILLING it this year too, as a practitioner of the mental arts. "I don't care, I lived in New York. Ugh, it's like New York out there." Hee.

I always hope this cast is recognized for their stellar work, but I feel like GJ has been on fire, and this episode let us see how much Britta has evolved over the course of the show. We were able to see all the different "versions" of Britta, bitchy/smug disinterested mash partner to Jeff, nerdy lover of Halloween/ghost stories, stoner/hipster, and most importantly a woman who really *cares* about all these people. It's easy to forget, but the reason they're really together is because of her. She turned Jeff's come on into an actual study group, and makeshift family of dangerously insane people!

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:21 pm

I thought last night's was great. I loved Pierce's racist imagining of burglars. "Give us all your expensive brandy and your hubcaps!" And Troy had Coolio hair.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Troy and Abed stuck together!

I loved this episode. I thought last year's Halloween episode was a bit weak, but this one was great. It's just re-affirming my theory that less Chang = better episode.
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Dean Pelton looked extremely at-home in devil drag. Bwah.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:46 pm

I was dying when watching this.
"Devil here! Just stopping by here for a little damnation orientation, here's the sched: at 10 you'll be buried neck deep in scorpions, at 11:15 lava enemas, followed by Pilates! Pilates is the demon that eats your genitals."
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:32 pm

I liked this one a lot. Very cute, and I agree that it only suffered because it followed "Remedial Chaos Theory." Of the five episodes we've seen so far this season, this was my second favorite. I may even like it more than "Epidemiology."

My only complaint with the episode is Shirley's story. It was funny, and what I like about both her and Annie is watching the twisted anger lurk beneath their sweet surfaces, but I feel like they're beating the "Shirley's a Christian" drum a little too hard. I want to know more about her.

Britta continues to be on fire and better than ever, and blixie, I seriously "awwed" when you reminded me that she's really the reason the study group came apart in the first place. Sometimes I worry that the other characters/show are too hard on her, and I cringed when she realized they made her name into a verb, but it was saved with "pulling an Abed" and "Shirley, don't Pierce."

Who else immediately pegged Abed as the only sane one of the group?
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Double posting because I watched the episode again and also read the A.V. Club review, and I thought it was pretty interesting:

One of the biggest things fans of the show argue about is which show it’s the “new” version of. Is it the “new” Arrested Development because both shows share a gag-a-second pace and strange elements of satire? Is it the “new” NewsRadio or Cheers for its deep, exceptionally well-used ensemble? Or is it the “new” The Simpsons, simply for how it works genre parodies into the midst of more character-based stories? And while I think the arguments in all of those directions make some degree of sense, the show that it has the most in common with, to me, is Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Like that show, Community has a wild, weird mash-up of tones. Like that show, Community is in conversation with previous series in its own genre. And like that show, Community does all different kinds of episodes, trying out all sorts of spins on different genres and TV episode types, just as Buffy tried out silent movies and musicals and art films with minimal dialogue and scoring. (The two are also focused on tight groups of friends who end up feeding into each other’s dysfunction as much as anything else, and I’m sure I could think of plenty of others if I really tried.)

I've always said that I love Community because I consider it a live-action version of The Simpsons, with Greendale being such an inherently weird place that it reminds me of Springfield, but this Buffy comparison really tickles me. No wonder I love this show so much - It has AD, Simpsons, and Buffy all in one!
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:38 am

Even better: Buffy without the obsessive Wheadon fans.

"Like a Dorrito?"

"Which of you girls knows how to count to 30?"

"You drained and tainted bitch dog!"
"I'm fine with this."
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:41 am

I dunno; it doesn't have Whedon's longevity so it's not quite as pervasive, but there is a core of Community fans that are the equal of the most obnoxious Browncoats or Arrested Development fans.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:03 am

I'm just glad I haven't run into any of them myself.

Unless...someone on this board has homicidal Community fannish tendencies. Oh my god, what if it's ME? Or maybe a different asshole who just filled out his test at random...

queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm

I haven't encountered the crazy smug proselytizing either. Community, it's cast, it's creator, and it's fandom all seem to want very much for it to be a big hit that appeals to EVERYONE, instead of just a tiny slice of the viewing public. I hear less how stupid people are for not GETTING it and more laments about how/why people don't watch it and what NBC can do to increase the audience (namely scheduling/promotion).

IDK, I love the characters, I love the cast, I love the writing, and it makes me laugh really hard most weeks. I wish more people felt the same, but they pretty much obviously don't.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top