Pottermore

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Pottermore

Post  Jamie on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:21 am

So how do the duels work? It looks like they're back up but I did a duel with a random Ravenclaw and just saw a message that I lost. I didn't get to cast a spell or anything. I just got a message that we both cast a spell (it did say which spell) and I lost. WTF? You're welcome for the free five points, Ravenclaw. I already know I suck at potions, so I haven't tried that again recently. I really don't like being bad at being a fake wizard.
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:31 am

Every time I see the site mentioned, a little voice in my head intones, "Quoth the Rowling, 'Pottermore.'"

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 am

Jamie wrote:So how do the duels work? It looks like they're back up but I did a duel with a random Ravenclaw and just saw a message that I lost. I didn't get to cast a spell or anything. I just got a message that we both cast a spell (it did say which spell) and I lost. WTF? You're welcome for the free five points, Ravenclaw. I already know I suck at potions, so I haven't tried that again recently. I really don't like being bad at being a fake wizard.
In the Duels, you click one of the houses to the right of the screen (or your own house to practice), then it should let you choose a spell, then you either click or type each letter twice (once to start the bubble and once when its the largest). Then you can come back in a few minutes and you'll see if you won or not since the duels are asynchronous.

I've noticed that you pretty much always have to do Petrificus Totalus because its the strongest spell.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:02 pm

I got registered, but have to wait to get in. I'm AshRose12330. That was easily the best out of several crap options. Fingers crossed for Ravenclaw or Gryffindor!!!*

*I swear, I am a 31-year-old woman.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:02 pm

I am apparently Neville-lesque in potion making; It's gone from "Oo, potions" to tedious in a matter of minutes.

I ended up in Ravenclaw, my first choice. Whether I will be able to contribute house points is up in the air, though.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 pm

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:14 pm

I'm FrogHex14384!

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm MidnightAsphodel5051. I haven't received my email yet.

ETA: Ah, there we go. I see Rowling DID add that additional content that was mentioned. Also, I see we can add nicknames for people, so I'll have at least a fighting chance of remembering who you all are.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  PrettyPenny on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm PixieSun2839! Finally! Now I'm just waiting for them to tell me I can start exploring.

PrettyPenny

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Checked out the site again today after not really paying attention to it in months and if they don't get the next book out soon, I'm going to get cranky. Found a lot of things in the first book that I'd missed out on previously, and discovered that while I seem to be pretty good at potions, my spell-casting sucks. I will never be able to duel with anyone if I can't get this figured out! I feel like I'm letting my other Ravenclaw house-mates down by this.
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm enjoying spell casting - I have to use the keyboard, though, since I'm on a laptop. As soon as I get back to a mouse I'll try it that way.

I think the potion brewing needs serious game balancing. It's just too much work with not enough payoff. If they're going to have such strict time limits, they need to a) let you practice all potions before wasting galleons, b) either have the time limit to come back be shorter, like 5 to 10 minutes, or not require you come back within the same amount of time once the first step is done (I did the first step, was waiting 45 minutes, had to go to a couple meetings, and by the time I came back it was expired and I had to start the first 45 minutes over again.) If the wait is that long, let someone start a brew in the morning and finish in the afternoon. Maybe it's more accurate to the story, but we're not actually in class where we can attend it all day. And c) make it worth waaaaay more house points. I can earn more points in a ten second duel than I can spending 50 minutes on a potion.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:59 pm

So I'm answering Ollivander's questions to figure out my wand, and it says I'm walking down an abandoned road and the path forks. I can walk by the sea, I can walk through some woods, or I can explore a castle ruin. What made this really funny for me is that I had a slightly less picaresque version of EXACTLY this situation on my walk this Saturday — I was between towns and I was passing an abandoned house. So I knew damn well I'd explore because that's what I did. (The other pics are here.) Anyway, it was a bit of deja vu.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 am

So what wand did you get?

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:17 am

I didn't get my validation email. I am not magic.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 am

I searched for your name and you were in there. Maybe check your Spam folder?

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 am

vwlphb wrote:So what wand did you get?
Fir and Phoenix Feather, 10 3/4 inches, unyielding.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 am

I got Hufflepuff which is cool because I wanted Hufflepuff. Yay!
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 am

Well, it took me three tries and a number of cleared caches (because some of those username choices are horrid) but I am now in Ravenclaw, and GhostWolfsbane2642.

Considering what I did to get there, I concede the hat might have had a point putting me in Slytherin the second time.

Now to see if I can stop failing at potions.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 pm

My username is ThornHex9475. I am a Ravenclaw who doesn't deserve to be one because goddamn if I cannot brew this damn potion.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I finally successfully brewed a potion. And dueling is working, though it's still wonky sometimes. Occasionally it will show the results of a duel even though I never picked or cast a spell. But when it does that, the points don't count. I wish the spells were a bit more dynamic. It'd be cool if some spells worked better against other spells, or with certain wands, or something. As it is, I'm getting pretty good at typing Petrificus Totalus, but it'd be fun to duel with some of the other spells and have a chance of winning.

Is HazelBat20109 someone from here?
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm

If you're interested in reading what the welcome messages are to the other three houses you didn't get into, someone has managed to get them all together:

http://lilyevans-snape.livejournal.com/200599.html
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Luciano wrote:I searched for your name and you were in there. Maybe check your Spam folder?
You=Genius. Thanks!
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  mo pie on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I haven't had a chance to log in yet, but I'm GhostNiffler14703.

mo pie

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Ok why are potions so hard? Just doing the first sample one is a mess.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 pm

I think part of it is wonky flash controls, and a major part for me is that reading the potion instructions counts towards your time, but that seems to be the only time you can read the book. They either need to have the hourglass pause while you're figuring out what to do, or have the potions book be accessible outside of trying to brew one. It's just too punishing right now.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top