Celebrity Dumb Quotes

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Celebrity Dumb Quotes

Post  biakbiak on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Kim Novak "clarifies" her statement that watching The Artist was like being raped because of the use of the score from Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, by saying it felt the same way as when she was raped when she was a child:

"It was very painful," said Novak. "When I said it was like a rape, that was how it felt to me. I had experienced in my youth being raped, and so I identified with a real act that had been done to me. I didn't use that word lightly. I had been raped as a child. It was a rape I never told about, so when I experienced this one, I felt the need to express it."

Seriously, everyone STOP USING RAPE AS AN ANALOGY or a metaphor or anything other than an actual rape!

Last edited by biakbiak on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

I honestly don't even know what to say.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Before I read the article I was thinking that The Artist had somehow appropriated footage of her from Vertigo, which is still a ridiculous thing to call "rape" over but at least I might understand some level of violation on her part.

But Bernard Hermann's score? The score that she had nothing to do with other than starring in a movie that he wrote it for? Hearing it in a frothy little comedy like The Artist brought to mind the emotions of being raped? "Fuck the what now?" doesn't even begin to cover it.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:19 pm

The only response I can think of is to quote Emporer Joseph from Amadeus: "Well, there it is."

Seriously, The Artist, of all movies, makes someone feel like they've been raped? I can't even.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:38 pm

biakbiak wrote:Seriously, everyone STOP USING RAPE AS AN ANALOGY or a metaphor or anything other than an actual rape!

THIS.

Jessica Simpson is afraid of having an athletic daughter.

"Ah swear, ah will croak if she asks me for a pair of Nikes instead of Christian Louboutins!" Simpson...tells the magazine in her signature Texas drawl. "If she ends up bein' this volleyball-playing, basketball-playing woman I'm looking up at! Eric is so athletic. We're gonna have this ath-a-letic girl and I won't even be able to take her shopping, 'cause all she's gonna want is sports bras and Nikes!"

Because everyone knows you're only allowed to like just one thing. Personalities are like bedrooms on Extreme Home Makeover: you're only allowed to pick one thing to like and then you're stuck with it forever.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm

Its Jessica Simpson. I am pretty sure her entire life is one giant dumb quote.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm

curryalley wrote:Because everyone knows you're only allowed to like just one thing. Personalities are like bedrooms on Extreme Home Makeover: you're only allowed to pick one thing to like and then you're stuck with it forever.
Best simile ever.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Ugh...I just read that somewhere, and my slapping hand got itchy. What the fuck is this, 1953?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 am

biakbiak wrote:Kim Novak "clarifies" her statement that watching The Artist was like being raped because of the use of the score from Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo, by saying it felt the same way as when she was raped when she was a child:

"It was very painful," said Novak. "When I said it was like a rape, that was how it felt to me. I had experienced in my youth being raped, and so I identified with a real act that had been done to me. I didn't use that word lightly. I had been raped as a child. It was a rape I never told about, so when I experienced this one, I felt the need to express it."

Seriously, everyone STOP USING RAPE AS AN ANALOGY or a metaphor or anything other than an actual rape!
I think I'm somehow more appalled now because she's actually experienced the violence and degradation of rape and STILL won't back down from comparing the appropriation of a mothereffin' film score to that despicable act. It's not even a case of plain ignorance where someone shoots their mouth off on a topic that they know nothing about. She's been violated IRL and thinks it can compare to the use of the Vertigo score in The Artist? REALLY?! That's insane to me, honestly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Jeremy Renner shares an "amusing" story about the time he choked a stranger for calling him gay. His private life is his own,however,this isn't very convincing.
Straight people don't usually go ballistic when presumed to be gay.

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/renner.html
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm

It seems to be more that he choked him out for pushing his sister to me anyway.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Kiran wrote:It seems to be more that he choked him out for pushing his sister to me anyway.

True,but still. Maybe not share that story.
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 pm

It says the other guy attacked him and Renner "put him to sleep," not that Renner went ballistic? I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong about him (or that the story really happened that way...) but let's get the alleged sequence of events right.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:28 pm

particle_person wrote:It says the other guy attacked him and Renner "put him to sleep," not that Renner went ballistic? I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong about him (or that the story really happened that way...) but let's get the alleged sequence of events right.

To me? Any attack is a little overboard,but I agree with you.
I guess he rubs me the wrong way. Like Cruise does.
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I agree, but I read the article and maybe it reads different in context, but I didn't really pick any homophobic vibes. I read the full article and he was more just describing the rumors that hes aggressive and putting into context. I didn't pick up that that is why he put him in a sleeper hold, and more got the vibe he was putting into context that this guy was acting aggressive for no reason towards him and then pushed his sister.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:26 pm

He comes across as an asshole more than anything, although I think his friend being murdered in front of him had something to do with it.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 pm

I don't know why I imagined that Renner would be a really kickback, mellow guy. All this discussion about him choking someone out sure throws that notion out the window.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  zip on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Hello, long term lurker, but I had to share this with some people who would appreciate it -- Boris Johnson, Mayor of London and British celebrity clever-buffoon, might have read MBTV back in the day:
[Jenny] Jones [the Green Party mayoral candidate] said: "[Boris] tends to treat men with a much more jokey matey attitude, whereas he tends to put [women] down and say things like 'I think you've added up your figures wrongly'."

... Other exchanges drawn from the past four years include Johnson answering a question from Jones [in the London Assembly] with "blah blah blah fishcakes" and on another occasion telling her to "ask better questions".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/22/boris-johnson-denies-being-sexist

(Thanks for your entertaining celebrity commentary, everyone! Back to lurkdom.)

zip

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Boris Johnson is such a buffoon. And now, apparently, also sexist. Lovely. Though, as a resident of Toronto, currently run by a mayor that people have compared to Peter Griffin of Family Guy, I can't judge.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Ted Nugent said something in public, which is synonymous with the title of this thread.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 am

Case wrote:
Kiran wrote:It seems to be more that he choked him out for pushing his sister to me anyway.

True,but still. Maybe not share that story.

I think he was trying to explain that no, he didn't attack the guy because of the gay slur. He choked out a guy who happened to harass him with a gay slur but who also choked him with his scarf, and shoved his sister. The story was apparently being reported minus the latter two bits.

I really like Jeremy Renner as an actor, and have no idea if he's gay or if he just doesn't like celebrity (which is what that interview comes off as, IMO.).
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

The Dude wrote:Ted Nugent said something in public, which is synonymous with the title of this thread.
Loved this, Mr. Dude. SO much.

And now, Joan Cusack's advice to Gabourey Sidibe.

There are times you're not helping, even when you think you are.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Argh. But I love Gabby's good-natured telling of it - she's just so damn nice.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm

That was bad advice, but I sort of get where Joan was coming from? Hollywood is just not kind to non-white/non-skinny actresses with regard to casting. And something like 90% of actors are out of work at any given time anyway. I love, love love that Gabourey Sidibe is doing pretty well, but she's an exception, not a norm. Joan totally should have just given her an e-mail or something if she wanted to talk about casting woes though.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 pm

I also think Joan has struggled with that herself? Like she's never been the skinny, pretty to type actress. I wonder if she's felt limited by that.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top