Twitter

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Twitter

Post  particle_person on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Yup. It's not really private that way, though, it just doesn't broadcast it to EVERYONE who's following you. For privacy, use Direct Messages.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm

If you start the tweet with @example, it'll also show in the feed of anyone who follows both you and @example. So like when Nathan Fillion tweets at Felicia Day, I see it without looking for it because I follow them both.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Choubetcha, that's kinda the situation that had me second guessing and confused.

I started a jokey twitter (and tumblr) a couple of weeks ago revolving around a Celebrity. The tumblr has been picking up followers daily, which has been fun. I'd linked to the twitter from the tumblr, and had a single follower for the first week, and then Celebrity started following me on twitter!! (Cue happy dance! and a zillion OMGs!)

I'd been tweeting a link to him each time I had a tumblr post, begining it with @CelebritiesName. I guess some of his 2.4 MILLION (!!!) followers noticed me in the section for who he follows, and have begun following me! But then I started following my jokey-celebrity account with my regular twitter account, and noticed none of the tweets to celebrity were showing up in my timeline. But I was following both Celebrity and my jokey-Celebrity account.

All of which left me confused as to whether my tweets were going just to him, or to all the people following as well. The last one I sent out I put the @celebrity name in the middle of the tweet, and my regular account got that one.

I don't ever tweet from my regular account, just follow some people, so I'm very confuzzled.

Eta: I have another question. So if I no longer send the tweet directly to Celebrity by putting @celebrityname first, they'll still see it because they're following me, right? Otherwise would it only be seen if they looked under 'mentions'?

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 pm

I have no answers but now I am curious about which celebrity!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 pm

That's definitely annoying and weird. Twitter always seems to have these screwups, where it eats tweets or stops recognizing the handles of people I follow, and their help people are usually not that helpful. Clearing my cache and re-logging in sometimes seems to work.

I also want to know who the celebrity is!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:45 am

How do I Twitter? Specifically, I have both a Facebook account and a Twitter account. What am I supposed to do with Twitter that's different from what I do with Facebook?
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I have a smaller, more cultivated group of people who I follow and who follow me on twitter, so I feel like I can go on there a bit more freely/annoyingly than I do on facebook. Like I will live tweet shows or the Oscars, and not worry about clogging up people's feeds. But I also feel less connected to a lot of the people I follow on twitter - a lot of them are not friends but people I find amusing.

I have a group of internet ladyfriends that love to talk about books, so we do a lot of that on twitter - it's where I get a lot of my book reading ideas.

Also, I use it a bit like an RSS reader (I think, I don't actually use one of those) - I follow a lot of bloggers who link to their work and so I can see when they've posted something new without having to just check their sites.

Does that help at all?

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Follow a lot of snarkers and talk to them? Twitter is more conversational than Facebook. People "post" to Facebook and then others reply. People "talk" on Twitter like it's an ongoing conversation. (Those terms in quotes are how I think of what I'm doing, not some officially recognized wording.) When you post to Facebook, YOU are the center of attention and other people are replying to a thing you wrote. On Twitter, you're just saying something into a pool of people who like to talk to each other and folks will either talk back to you or the tweet will be swallowed up and vanish. It's closer to chat than anything else.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 am

In the past 2 months, I have gone from being completely dead on Twitter to maintaining 3 separate accounts. One is solely for a friend that I talk to every single day. Another is for all my icon-making friends on LiveJournal, which I barely read cuz there are just too many things flying at me that it completely overwhelms me. The final one is to follow people and things outside LJ that I love, mostly authors and musicians.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't RT a lot on Twitter, despite the fact that I'm on there every day. But ever since I discovered Bill Murray's on Twitter, I've found myself retweeting nearly everything he says. So hilarious! I didn't think it was possible to love that guy more, but now I do.

Bill Murray on Twitter

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm

(Just to clarify: that's a parody account, not Bill Murray himself.)
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Oh crap...is it really? I'm usually so careful about this stuff, and he's SO funny. Yeah...now I see it.

Argh. Now I feel like an idiot. (Not that that's anything new!) Someone had RT'd him, and I just assumed. Which just goes to show...

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 am

I laughed my ass off seeing Louis and Liam of One Direction fighting with Tom from The Wanted two weekends ago. I thought it was a joke at first, but once I saw Liam tweeting, "Our drummer has more followers than you," I knew shit had gotten real.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm

I finally got on the Twitters and followed some of you in a haphazard manner. I like my social media platforms to stand the test of time for a decade or so before I get on board.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

What's your Twitter name?

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh -- it's tea_and_robots.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:01 pm

I never realized how much I try to keep certain portions of my life seperated from other parts. My cousin on Instagram tagged me in a pic using my Twitter handle. I almost had a heart attack. One, I don' know how she got my twitter handle and two, I have too much family on Instagram that I don't want following me on Twitter. Any time my sisters or my other cousins mention Twitter I play dumb. "Ugh, I don't even use that." LOL.

And now I just had to put it all on private until I get everything sorted.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:37 pm

One of the most common ways is when it asks you for an email address, and it then uses that email to correlate all your social media accounts and infer they are all the same person. Then companies such as Facebook use that info to ask people, "Do you know XYZ? Friend them!" 

This is how my sister found my second Facebook, the one I save for online people (aka the one I actually update). I politely told her that I wanted to keep my online and offline lives separate, and she said that on reflection, she kinda felt the same way, and it was fine.

By the way, if you are curious how they can use your email to do this, and you are mathematically and/or historically inclined, you should read Using Metadata to Find Paul Revere.
London, 1772.

I have been asked by my superiors to give a brief demonstration of the surprising effectiveness of even the simplest techniques of the new-fangled Social Networke Analysis in the pursuit of those who would seek to undermine the liberty enjoyed by His Majesty’s subjects. This is in connection with the discussion of the role of “metadata” in certain recent events and the assurances of various respectable parties that the government was merely “sifting through this so-called metadata” and that the “information acquired does not include the content of any communications”. I will show how we can use this “metadata” to find key persons involved in terrorist groups operating within the Colonies at the present time. I shall also endeavour to show how these methods work in what might be called a relational manner.
In that example, substitute your email address for the names of the (suspected) patriots terrorists, and your various social media accounts (my two facebooks, for example) for the organizations.

Back when I used to grade papers, I used this technique a few times to infer which people in the class were working together because they made the same mistakes on homework...

ETA: Also, there was a followup post

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:21 pm

The Twitter chat that's been going on today among Zach Braff, Anna Kendrick, Josh Groban, and others is pretty funny. Sorry, don't know how to link.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 pm

One of the Twitter language options is LOLCAT (go to Settings).

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:17 am

Thank you for pointing that out. My tab now reads "TWITTR".

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Twitter has been down for an hour and I don't know what to do!!
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:29 pm

It's up for me?

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Right after I posted that it came back but there was a good hour there it didn't work at all.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 am

So Twitter is having an IPO, and will probably raise the character limit.

"They're very short messages, very concise but for an advertising vehicle it doesn't allow advertisers much room to really sell their wares." In other words, Twitter spam for everyone!

I'm not actually a user, but as I see it the character limit is the one distinctive feature. When you lose that, what's the point?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top