Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holiday Music

+29
maxell131313
Poubelle
philophobe
choubetcha
Putli Bai
Eris Rising
Menshevixen
mayram
bookworm
Tabby
Gillian
mrinsouciance
sobe
slmader
CherryFlame
Algae
Crowbridge
oxymoron
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
Francie Nolan
Instant Monkeys
MLIS
queenofdenile
katesti
whatthedeuce
jcpdiesel21
punkysdilemma
laddical
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Holiday Music - Page 2 Empty Re: Holiday Music

Post  Gillian Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I love "Wonderful Christmastime" because it makes me nostalgic, and nostalgia is my favorite holiday emotion. If it were a regular song about non-holiday things, I would hate it. But it's Christmas! My mom played it all the time when I was a kid, and hearing it brings back all kinds of little kid Christmas memories. I am a huge freaking sap.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 am

Minnesota Public Radio has activated their Holiday Classics stream - go to http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/cms/ and you'll find the link to the stream at the top of the page.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Crowbridge wrote:This is the only good thing about "Christmas Shoes":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq10bz3PxyY

Awww, it isn't that bad!

My favorite Christmas album is Let it Snow Baby ... Let it Reindeer by Reliant K.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Tabby wrote:Minnesota Public Radio has activated their Holiday Classics stream - go to http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/cms/ and you'll find the link to the stream at the top of the page.

Yay!

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Gillian wrote:I love "Wonderful Christmastime" because it makes me nostalgic, and nostalgia is my favorite holiday emotion. If it were a regular song about non-holiday things, I would hate it. But it's Christmas! My mom played it all the time when I was a kid, and hearing it brings back all kinds of little kid Christmas memories. I am a huge freaking sap.

That's exactly it for me as well. I don't like the song itself, but it played so much during the Christmases of my childhood that I automatically associate it with that.

Besides the truly awful Christmas Shoes song, I also hate all of the Beach Boys holiday stuff. That "Run, Run Reindeer" song makes me stabby and not even the fact that it also played a lot in Christmases past can save it.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:50 am

bookworm wrote:My favorite Christmas album is Let it Snow Baby ... Let it Reindeer by Reliant K.
I've known the current bassist of this band since elementary school; he would be pleased by your praise! I have heard many good things about this album and should purchase it. Are the songs overly religious? I like the band, but have never been able to get into Christian rock in general.

She & Him's holiday album is adorable, I love it. And because I am weak when it comes to holiday music, I just may buy Michael Bublé's new album soon.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:55 am

I can't wait to hear Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys! That is one of the cutest Christmas songs ever, and I love that it's so got such a laidback vibe.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:26 am

Heard The Christmas Shoes for the first time. Now it's really Christmas. Bleargh.

However, I did hear Snoopy vs. The Red Baron and I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas back-to-back. Hooray!.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:39 am

I love the Tori Amos seasonal album, Midwinter Graces, as well as Loreena McKennitt's two holiday records (A Midwinter Night's Dream and To Drive the Cold Winter Away). I also have some Charlotte Church Christmas stuff on my iTunes...no shame.

And Christmas With the Puppini Sisters, released last year! Looking forward to enjoying it again this year.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

jcpdiesel21 wrote:
bookworm wrote:My favorite Christmas album is Let it Snow Baby ... Let it Reindeer by Reliant K.
I've known the current bassist of this band since elementary school; he would be pleased by your praise! I have heard many good things about this album and should purchase it. Are the songs overly religious? I like the band, but have never been able to get into Christian rock in general.

She & Him's holiday album is adorable, I love it. And because I am weak when it comes to holiday music, I just may buy Michael Bublé's new album soon.

I would say that it has one song that is more oriented towards Christians than the others. I like Merry Christmas Here's to Many More the best off of that album. It isn't a traditional carol, but I think the sentiment is something a lot of people feel around the holidays.

I just bought Pink Martini's Joy to the World and so far I really like it.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I was hoping to avoid Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree this season, but they played it on TV last night. Now I'm dodging Jingle Bell Rock.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 am

Menshevixen wrote:And Christmas With the Puppini Sisters, released last year! Looking forward to enjoying it again this year.

Yes! That one's fun. Also seconding the love for Tori and Pink Martini.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 am

Menshevixen wrote:And Christmas With the Puppini Sisters, released last year! Looking forward to enjoying it again this year.
I love this album! It's bubbly and cute and wonderful and absolutely perfect.

One of the definitive holiday songs for me would have to be Burl Ives' "A Holly Jolly Christmas." I love everything about that song and it just gets me bouncing happily along with it.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32 pm

April over at Regretsy has posted a ton of truly horrible holiday songs, free for the taking.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:53 am

That is an impressive list, though I dispute that Dominick the Christmas Donkey sucks. I love that song.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:09 am

John Valby's Herniated Jingle Balls (Amazon link) are pretty much my standard for disgusting Christmas tunes.

"I just couldn't find the bath-room door, I passed out and woke up with green sleeves...."

Seriously, it's gross.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:56 pm

I've heard maybe five or six different versions of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in the past week, between Spotify and Christmas shopping, and EVERY version I've heard has had the 'hang a shining light upon the highest bough' lyric. This bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I like 'until then we'll have to muddle through somehow'! I had to seek out the Judy Garland version on youtube to make myself feel better.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Have Yourself A Merry Litte Christmas depresses the ever-living fuck out of me, especially when it's Karen Carpenter's haunting voice singing it out solemnly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is the worst. The absolute worst. It's the kind of thing that friends of mine used to play whenever they wanted to come across as the life of the party. It's the aural equivalent of a drunk uncle wearing a lampshade on his head and a hula skirt around his waist.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:35 am

I spent years (I wish I was exaggerating, but I am totally not) searching for the song from Sleepless in Seattle when Meg Ryan's character is driving with the "horses, horses, horses, horses" line. I finally found out that it was Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. It's now one of my favorites. I must share. . I mean, come on... there's yodeling in the middle. What's better than that?

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:52 am

Whoops! Wrong thread.

Last edited by Unlucky Bear on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:06 am

choubetcha wrote:I've heard maybe five or six different versions of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in the past week, between Spotify and Christmas shopping, and EVERY version I've heard has had the 'hang a shining light upon the highest bough' lyric. This bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I like 'until then we'll have to muddle through somehow'! I had to seek out the Judy Garland version on youtube to make myself feel better.

I've always preferred Judy's version and the "muddle through somehow" lyric better, too. A few years back, EW did a fascinating article about the history of the song. Apparently, Sinatra's to blame for the alternate line (and also the song's popularity).
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:26 pm

For me, the version that matters is Ernie and Bert (starts at 7:37 if the magical YouTube thing doesn't work). "If the fates allaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooowwwwww," bless you, Frank Oz.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:06 pm

I really can't listen to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" without getting weepy and thinking about family members I've lost. I think the Judy Garland version is beautiful, but I prefer for Christmas songs not to remind me of my own mortality and the mortality of others. "If the fates allow"? Thanks, Christmas song, for pointing out that there's no guarantee that we'll be here next Christmas! Merry Christmas! It could be your last!

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll Be Home for Christmas is another holiday song thats pretty depressing when you listen to the words.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next