Unpopular Musical Opinions

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:30 pm

I do dislike Katy Perry, quite a bit, and Darren Criss's hero worship of her makes me die a little inside*, but I think the Last Friday Night video is fun to watch and I like Rebecca Black's part in it.

As much as I can't stand Katy Perry and think most of her songs suck, though - I really do like "Firework."

*And it somehow also makes me like him more since he's so gracious and grateful to the woman whose song made him famous.

Last edited by queenofdenile on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Katy seems like a genuinely sweet person, and I've given in and admitted this year that I totally love her music. It's cheesy and the lyrics are awful, but that's half the fun! Lady Gaga's pretty damn nonsensical half the time, and if I can enjoy her inanity, why can't I love Katy's as well, right?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:36 pm

I just can't get beyond the fact that she's somehow become some sort of LGBTQ icon and hero when she a) has a song that fetishizes lesbianism for the male gaze, and b) has a song that uses "gay" as an insult IN THE TITLE.

I mean, good for her for voting against Prop 8 and speaking publicly about it, but that disconnect and mixed messaging just infuriates me.

Though weirdly, I like her and Russell Brand's marriage even though I don't like either of them individually. Not even in a "good, they can't infect other people!" way. I can't stand them as individuals but I think they're cute together. *shrug*
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:16 pm

She seems to be evolving somewhat. I mean I don't think shes ever gonna be genius but I think she has grown a bit. I read an interesting Rolling Stone article about her past and her family and it put things into context. Like I will never like those songs you mentioned, ever and I don't think this excuse makes it right but I almost feel that was born out of ignorance more then maliciousness and she seems to be getting beyond that.

Maybe I give her too much credit.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Oh no, I've never gotten the impression that she's a malicious person, and she probably means well. My feelings for her are more of a strong irritation than outright loathing.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't like her ton, because of the that whole Kissed a Girl crap, but I can't deny I loved every single off her last album. I blame Darren Criss for wearing my tolerance down. Sadly I cannot blame anyone for my lack of resistance to Ke-dollarsign-Ha.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 pm

I often like her songs when someone else is singing it ("Teenage Dream" being the best example), but not even Darren could save "Last Friday Night" for me. Fun video but the song hurts my soul.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Without a doubt, my favorite Katy Perry song is "E.T." The lyrics suck, but it's so damn catchy.

I like Springsteen well enough, but I don't jizz over him the way some people do. Except for "I'm On Fire." That song is amazing.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 am

"E.T." is Katy's masterpiece. That song just sounds so different and atmospheric than the rest of her tunes. I like the darker, spacey quality of it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Pinkie Pie on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:04 am

After hearing Elton John all day on the radio at work, I have to say that my unpopular opinion is that I don't like Elton John's music. Some of it annoys me less than others, but overall, his music does absolutely nothing for me. I'd be happy to never have to hear Benny and the Jets ever again.

Pinkie Pie

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 am

The only Elton John song I like is Pinball Wizard. So I'd say my dislike of him is just the material, he's technically quite good.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 am

Red Wolf wrote:The only Elton John song I like is Pinball Wizard. So I'd say my dislike of him is just the material, he's technically quite good.

That might be because that's actually a Who song.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Pinkie Pie wrote:... I'd be happy to never have to hear Benny and the Jets ever again.

Oh, I hate that song! Also Crocodile Rock. I do love The Last Song, though it makes me cry.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm

I love Elton's "Honky Cat." Just saying.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:10 pm

I like to love most of Elton John's music.

But... his song Sacrifice? Sinead O'Connor's cover of it is 1000x better than his version.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:36 pm

I like a lot of his music, but not a big fan of his voice. Roger Joseph Manning Jr.'s cover of "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" is probably one of my favorite live tracks anyone ever did (even though his intonation is a bit...questionable in places, it's part of his charm.)
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:22 pm

That might be because that's actually a Who song.
Yes, I know. That's why I say it's the material. :)

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:16 pm

"Benny and the Jets" and "Crocodile Rock" need to die in a fire, STAT. But otherwise I'm fine with the majority of Elton John's oevre. Especially "Your Song," which is so lovely in its simplicity.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 am

Shamefully, I like "I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues".

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 am

Bad Username, you're not alone, my friend.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy on Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 pm

I KNOW they sound different. I KNOW this. I have to REMIND myself of this, but...

Whenever I hear OneRepublic, I constantly think of The Fray.

And I have no. freaking. idea. why.

And I'm a HUGE fan of The Fray.

(Oh, and it doesn't work the other way around. Really, don't ask. I don't get it.)

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Ha, tru fax, they are so totally samey, but I like One Republic better. The Vampire Diaries music director abuses them them both.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm

You know what? I'm getting tired of hearing people say, "Chris Brown was amazing before he beat the crap out of Rihanna." No. No, he wasn't. His music was always boring, MJ-wannabe shit that put me to sleep. He has always sucked.

*whew* That feels good.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  P.D. Noosh on Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm not a huge listener of contemporary R&B or pop, and I've consciously gone out of my way to avoid any Chris Brown song following that incident. But except for the single they played on "The Office", I am happy to report that I cannot name or recall any snippet of that asshat's songs or identify his voice.

Granted, I have an IV drip connected to the Kool-Aid, but I count MDNA and American Life as two of Madonna's best albums. (Like a Prayer will always be my favorite, but those two are in a neverending Ragnarok battle for second.) Furthermore, the work (esp. the concerts but even the music itself) from the latter half of her career is vastly superior to the work of her easier-to-digest pre-2000s era.

P.D. Noosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Bedtime Stories is my favorite Madonna album. I think she showed a mature, reflective side of herself that was still very provocative and sexy with that album, and I can't think of a single song I dislike. I still listen to it all the time.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top