Unpopular Musical Opinions

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Post  Poubelle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:22 am

Cutebutpsycho wrote:My thing is that I hate this new faux-bluegrass indie rock trend with Mumford and Sons and their ilk. I got into a rant about this with my friend (well, I ranted at her, and she's a Mumford and Sons fan) about how it's a dilution of bluegrass -- it's like a copy of a copy of a copy. And it sounds like this weird Coldplay tribute band. But with less rhythm. If that was even possible.
ME TOOOOO. It's so BORING. And repetitive. You belong with who now? In your sweet what was it? Hold on a sec--are you going to wait for--me? I'm not sure I heard you the first dozen times. And the stuff they're copying--it wasn't boring. I guess it wasn't made by young, hip British people, but there was a lot more going on.

I really enjoyed Rihanna circa-Good Girl Gone Wild (though I can't do Breakin' Dishes, awesome as it is, anymore, thanks to Chris Brown. "I'ma fight a man tonight" probably was very literally real. Disturbia--which Brown cowrote, iirc--isn't much better). But since then, I've veered between "meh" and "ugh, so annoying." I think the last thing of hers I was actually willing to listen to was Only Girl in the World. Diamonds makes me stabby. HOW ARE WE GOING TO SHINE BRIGHT? I'm still not sure! Tell me YET AGAIN!

So that would be message to current pop music today: it doesn't matter if your instruments are acoustic and played by a real human or electronic and synthesized in some producer's computer, STOP FUCKING REPEATING YOURSELVES OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER. It's VERSE chorus VERSE structure. Different verses. Maybe MULTIPLE lines in the chorus. It worked for pop music for years and years. It still seems to work for Adele! (Who, admittedly, only has a limited number of songs I actually like, but if one of the ones I don't like comes up on the radio I'm okay with it.)

Fun's music is totally bland to me (what tone deaf idiot compared them to Queen?) but I hate them solely based on the fact that their name is not supposed to be capitalized and has to have a period at the end. Yeah, that silly stylization is as likely to last through the second album as Panic at the Disco's exclamation point did.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 am

I wouldn't compare them as a group to Queen, but "Some Nights" is very Queen-y in my opinion. Their other stuff not so much, but I'll have to take a stand for that one song.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 am

I obviously don't like them but I can see how they are influenced by Queen and so is that song (I mean lots of musicians emulate Queen or are clearly influenced by them), but that's not what enrages me, its people saying they are the second coming of Queen.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 am

I recall reading some glowing reviews of Rihanna's latest album when it dropped, but it's so goddamn boring. Her latest single is the only one I can stand. "Diamonds" just plain sucks ass. I thought I could get used to it, but NOPE.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:35 pm

I have a pretty high tolerance for abrasive voices. I love the Decemberists, and I could listen to the Pogues all day. But I cannot stand Tom Waits' voice. I wish I could, because he seems like the kind of artist I'd really get into. But I just can't get past the fact that the man sounds like a bullfrog with an intestinal blockage.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:31 am

I hate the Skyfall song, so, so much. I get that it goes with Bond themes overall, but it's such a mediocre song to me, and I cringe when I hear it.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:54 am

I thought it was dreadfully boring when I first heard it, but on repeat listens, it's begun growing on me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:05 am

Ellie Goulding's "Anything Could Happen" makes me want to punch something. For God's sake, write some freaking lyrics instead of just repeating the same three words for two minutes.

I'd like to think that's not an unpopular opinion, but considering the fact that I hear it *every time* I turn on a radio....
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm

I loathe "Lights" and was surprised at how much I love "Anything Could Happen" though I concede that it's quite repetitive. I never hear it on the radio, which is a bummer. Where do you live that it gets played all the time, laddical?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 pm

The Seattle market. KLCK 98.9 plays it - and I'm not even being a little hyperbolic here - frequently enough that I hear it every time I get in the car.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:07 am

Well, I feel your pain because that's exactly what I endured last year with "Lights." It was on every other second, and I couldn't stand it.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top