Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disney Movies

+57
Jude
emrie
Agent Sculder
particle_person
Wildog27
jaraga
Skyblade
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
vwlphb
dreago
Coneycat
Menshevixen
Matinee
rivki8699
Sincerity
Poubelle
SNeaker
mandalaya
katesti
Miss Moneypenny
Kookla
VodouDoll
Algae
Shalamar
Auroura76
bbridges
Maestro
jcpdiesel21
allochthonous
blixie
whatthedeuce
sagitare
Instant Monkeys
Scarlettfish
Crowbridge
Luthien
Unlucky Bear
big chicken
mokey75
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Putli Bai
tothemax
Gillian
Sheli
Kiran
Cutebutpsycho
SelfAmused
ulkis
boutros boutros kitty
Rhilin
laurelin_kit
queenofdenile
choubetcha
laddical
punzy
61 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Disney Movies Empty Disney Movies

Post  punzy Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am

Brave. Yes, please!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Disney Movies Empty Re: Disney Movies

Post  laddical Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm having the same uninterested reaction to Brave that I've had to every Pixar movie except the original Toy Story and The Incredibles. With the exception of the two Cars movies, my reaction to the trailer has no bearing on my reaction to the movie, so I fully expect it to be the same here. But for now, all I see are unattractive character designs (I love Merida's hair, but her head... ye gods...) and a subtle-as-a-hammer "anything you can do I can do better" message.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:25 pm

I didn't realize until after I finished watching that I'd been waiting for a love interest to be introduced the whole time, and it never happened, so major points for that.

I followed Brenda Chapman's ouster from the movie with great interest last year, so I'm really excited to see how this turned out.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Due to my niece's Christmas gifts (polly pocket Jasmine and Mulan sets) this is a real discussion my family got in: who is the better role model of Disney Princess characters? My sister and I were on Mulan's side (because she kicks ass) while my brother-in-law thought Jasmine was better (because she was willing to kiss Jafar and he was gross possibly?).

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:10 pm

Mulan. Full stop. But since I love to talk about this kind of stuff, I'll go on anyway. It's not just because she kicks ass but because of her reasons for going out and kicking ass - of all the "Princesses" (she's not, but... you get it), Mulan is the one of only two who takes action for reasons beyond herself (the other is Belle). Even the two newest Princesses, who do a great job of breaking free of the "waiting for a prince" mold, are both driven to get something they want for themselves, whereas Mulan is driven by the need to protect someone else.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:17 pm

I dunno. Obviously Mulan's devotion to her family and father is laudable, but I wouldn't say that Jasmine or any of the other princesses are less of role models because they're acting out of self-interest. As far as I'm concerned, girls could do with more characters that do things for themselves instead of being self-sacrificing all the time.

I do think Mulan is the best one, though (even though Belle and Ariel are my favorites). She's the least sexualized of the Disney female leads, and romance is barely a subplot in her story.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:40 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I dunno. Obviously Mulan's devotion to her family and father is laudable, but I wouldn't say that Jasmine or any of the other princesses are less of role models because they're acting out of self-interest. As far as I'm concerned, girls could do with more characters that do things for themselves instead of being self-sacrificing all the time.

I agree 100%.
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I agree. I guess it's just that for most of the other princesses, self interest equals "waiting for a man". My personal favorites are Tiana and Rapunzel, so I'm not against the idea of self interest in general, just in the specific. I realize, on further reflection, that that doesn't really apply to Jasmine - she's not really waiting for a man, either. So... never mind, I guess.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:54 pm

My 9-year-old self wanted to share her opinion. Yes, 9-year-old self?

"Jasmine has a pet tiger. So she's the best."

(Objectively, Mulan is probably a stronger character. But I think "pet tiger" is still a pretty compelling argument.)

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  boutros boutros kitty Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Tiana is my favorite - worked her ass off for what she wanted, didn't quit when it got hard, kissed a frog even though GROSS and out-smarted Facilier. I love her.

But it is hard to argue with a pet tiger. I'll give you that.

boutros boutros kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:43 pm

My sister and I were on Mulan's side (because she kicks ass) while my brother-in-law thought Jasmine was better (because she was willing to kiss Jafar and he was gross possibly?).

I like Jasmine, but girlfriend is self-absorbed. She was sitting in Aladdin's hovel and kept comparing her own problems to his. After she said "this is your home?" she should have said, "hmm, guess my problems aren't so bad after all."

I joke. But seriously, Mulan, because she works hard to achieve her goal. She's kick-ass, but she's not kick-ass instantaneously.

Also, I'm excited for Beauty and the Beast to come out again!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:42 am

She's kick-ass, but she's not kick-ass instantaneously.

The moment where she figures out how to get the arrow is SO AWESOME.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:24 am

Oh lord, I love that sequence. The fact that it's set to one of Disney's most exciting songs just makes the moment even sweeter.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:55 pm

queenofdenile wrote:Oh lord, I love that sequence. The fact that it's set to one of Disney's most exciting songs just makes the moment even sweeter.

Great--now I've got the chorus singing "BE A MAN!" in my head.

I'm another one who's Team Tiana, not only because she's a hard worker, but she was pretty funny, too ("No way I'm kissing a frog and eating a bug on the same day!").

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Team Mulan. But I'm kind of prejudiced because she and I are Chinese and even the emperor saw she was badass. But I also love Rapunzel and Tiana. Self-interest outside of romance is totally awesome in my book.

But can I show love for Charlotte too? She was dizzy and draft, but such a good friend to Tiana that I kind of want her to have her own prince, but kind of works to earn it in her own Southern belle way
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I love Charlotte, too. She could have so easily been a complete stereotype but turned out great.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Ariel. Whatever she wanted to see the world up there before Eric and she collected things and had awesome hair. Plus I identified with the overprotective single dad.

Its been my favorite since I was 3, leave me alone, you don't know my life, I look good.

I always get Belle in those what disney princess are you quizzes, so her too.

I like all of your picks also.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Ariel also has the most iconic song of all the princesses. You can argue over who has the BEST song, but I don't think anything tops "Part of Your World" in terms of which is the most memorable.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Yes. That movie in general had great songs. I also loved the first poster of it too. With her swimming up to the upper world. Gorgeous.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Singing "Part of Your World" and "Poor Unfortunate Souls" back-to-back at karaoke night is an unforgettable experience, let me tell you.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:51 pm

My favorite was always Belle because she liked to read and had awesome clothes and loved her daddy.

I do think Mulan is more badass and a great role model. I thought she was so cool. But I never wanted to be her or anything. Saving the world did not appeal to me.

It's funny because The Little Mermaid was actually my favorite Disney movie. But Ariel was never my favorite character. I didn't like that she gave away her voice or let the sexy version of Ursula take her man.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Belle is the best. I don't know why this is even a discussion. January 13 re-release, y'all!

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Gillian wrote:Belle is the best. I don't know why this is even a discussion. January 13 re-release, y'all!

Truer words were never spoken.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:23 pm

The song "Belle" is just a sublime piece of musical theater, I have to say. Though maybe not so much when it's sung like this.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:
But can I show love for Charlotte too? She was dizzy and draft, but such a good friend to Tiana that I kind of want her to have her own prince, but kind of works to earn it in her own Southern belle way

Agreed. One of the many things I loved about that movie was how Charlotte was not the stereotypical Rich Girl, and that it wasn't all about the Prince having to choose between the two friends.

True confessions time - I've never seen Beauty and the Beast. But that will be remedied shortly. I just hope I like it, after all the build-up, because I hadn't seen The Lion King either, and was pretty meh on it.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next