Disney Movies

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Disney Movies

Post  ulkis on Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I tried to watch Pocahontas on ABC Family a few days ago and was appalled at how boring it is! I remember not really enjoying it as a kid, but man, it was painfully dull! I was basically waiting for John Smith to call someone "Sugar Tits" at some point. Also, calling a woman a "savage" will not get you laid, Smith. Idiot.

It's boring, but I think it was okay, except Mel Gibson has ruined everything he's ever been in for me. I remember trying to watch it and I was like ugh I cannot deal with him.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri May 24, 2013 9:58 am

His accent was wonky, too. He sounded Australian at first and then had a flat American accent with twinges of British flair thrown in every now and then. So odd.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri May 24, 2013 10:41 am

I despise "cute" animals in Disney movies. I kept waiting for that obviously rabid raccoon (since it's out in the daytime, it's got problems) to bite Pocahontas.

That movie has plenty of problems but lord how I love that score.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri May 24, 2013 4:09 pm

I wanted Meeko to bite Smith and all the other British dudes.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm

http://disneyconceptsandstuff.tumblr.com/post/53222802639/frozen-promotional-stills

They look pretty! I'm excited. Never gonna stop wishing they'd go back to 2D for the fairy tales though, I'm a fuddy duddy.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 am

Monsters University was really cute. Not as good as the original, but still really fun. I was pleasantly surprised that 
Spoiler:
Mike and Sully stayed expelled, and worked their way up to where they are without a college degree. I really expected Hardscrabble to swoop and and be all "Oh look, I got you back in!"
I also liked seeing where Randall's animosity toward Sully and Mike came from. 

I didn't love the short film - it felt too reminiscent of Paperman to me - but you can't win 'em all.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Here's a good analysis of the Little Mermaid:

link

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:05 am

Frozen was so good. I loved Olaf, which is not something I would have called based on his treacly first trailer (which is not a scene that's even in the movie).

Spoiler:
I was so thrilled that the act of true love that saved Anna was not romantic - and that it was an act she performed instead of one performed for her. What a nice change of pace.

Though I did feel a bit underwhelmed by the change of heart on Hans part that I saw coming from his first song. I kept hoping they wouldn't go that way. But I feel like someone in the story department kept pushing for a clear cut villain, a Gaston type. I figured an angry mob would be villain enough. It was the one sour note in the show. And there were a lot of great notes, what with Idina Menzel singing and all.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:31 am

I loved it. Can't say I *loved* Olaf, but I liked him, and I usually hate the wacky characters in a Disney movie

haha they totally got me. When Anna sang the love duet
Spoiler:
with Hans I was like but I thought she was in love with the other guy! boo! he's cuter! but this is too soon! but they have the LOVE DUET. I kinda wish he had been good though, to play further on the trope.
But I guess they already do that in enchanted in a way? Not sure because I never actually saw that one but
Spoiler:
the princess thinks she's in love with the prince but falls in love with the guy from Grey's anatomy but the prince is still good,
do I have it right?

I also liked the twist at the end.

At first I was cranky for having to pay for 3D but it was sooooooooooo cool (no pun intended, haha).

And because I'm a weirdo, the icing song in the beginning is totally my favorite.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:10 am

I think it's his line delivery that pushes him to "love" for me. Especially things like staring up at Kristoff and just calmly stating, "I don't have a skull" - that one killed me. And his whole number about doing whatever a snowman does in summer. My daughters and I figured he should talk to Phineas and Ferb about "swinter".
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:21 am

Saw Frozen the other day and liked it a lot but didn't love it. Except for the choral bits I didn't love the music. It sounded dated, like it came from 80s cartoon movies that were trying to be Disney like Swan Princess or something.

For the GFY fans out there, if you watched the credits for "additional voices" you would have seen one Courtney Peldon listed there. I was delighted when I saw her name.

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:25 pm

oh man, I loved the first song about ice mining. But I like folk music, so. I've seen people call Elsa's song the next "Part of Your World" and it's an okay song but a) it's Defying Gravity lite and b) I cannot imagine 5 years olds singing to this. I mean I'm sure a lot of them can but it's way too overdone. If both songs were dresses both would be pretty but one would be simple and elegant (Part of your world) and the other would be cute but way too many details and trimmings and glitter, etc etc.

I've started to watch Fox and the hound on netflix. I've never seen it before and I'm scared. Somebody hold me.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:24 am

I saw Frozen today a loooooved it.  It was such a weird movie sometimes, but the weirdness worked.  I don't think it was as good as Tangled, though.  I can't put my finger on what was missing, but something wasn't there.  Character development, I guess, because I felt like there wasn't enough with Kristoff to justify everything at the end.  And seriously, did they really get Jonathan Groff and only let him sing one goofy song?  Boo!

Still loved it, though.  I loved Idina's big song.  I've probably listened to it five times since getting home. And I had no idea Veronica Mars could sing! She did a great job, especially considering all her Broadway co-stars.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:37 am

I saw Frozen today a loooooved it. It was such a weird movie sometimes, but the weirdness worked. I don't think it was as good as Tangled, though. I can't put my finger on what was missing, but something wasn't there. Character development, I guess, because I felt like there wasn't enough with Kristoff to justify everything at the end. And seriously, did they really get Jonathan Groff and only let him sing one goofy song? Boo!

I feel like, even though I liked them, Kristoff and Anna were Rapunzel and Flynn lite, but Elsa really elevated the whole thing for me. That and the animation is probably what gives it the edge on Tangled for me.

Kristen Bell has a great voice, she more than held her own.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Finally saw this. Loved it so much. The whole relationship with the sisters was so well written and fleshed out. I really thought the whole thing was really excellent. Bought the soundtrack the next day and it's basically been playing nonstop in our house.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:53 am

I just RANDOMLY CRIED at this.

Impromptu singalong of "A Whole New World" at a piano bar. Featuring Darren Criss on piano, and oh yeah, Lea Salonga is there too.

I love her so much.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:39 pm

I actually won't watch that because I really am prone to tearing up when I hear Disney songs and don't need to kick off the waterworks today. I cried watching the damn fireworks at Disneyland yesterday because they played that sad Dumbo song, "Baby of Mine."

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I actually won't watch that because I really am prone to tearing up when I hear Disney songs and don't need to kick off the waterworks today. I cried watching the damn fireworks at Disneyland yesterday because they played that sad Dumbo song, "Baby of Mine."

I cry to Disney like crazy too (not just the songs!). The Tarzan opening song gets me, and just the other day I may have freaked out a 3-year-old by starting to weep during Lilo and Stitch (because of how well written the sisters' reactions to having lost their parents is).

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:13 am

My husband (randomly) played "Do you want to build a snowman" and I felt the tears...

And then he did "Love is an Open Door" and since he hasn't actually seen the movie yet, he doesn't understand my hatred of Hans. He thinks I'm strange.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm

My daughter has a CD of Disney songs, and for some reason "Now I See The Light" from Tangled makes me tear up EVERY TIME it comes on.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Same here, but I know exactly why: because I always remember the moment where we see the king and queen getting ready to light the lantern and the queen looks into the king's face and he looks down and I have never seen a more perfectly captured moment of sadness and loss in animation. It crushes me every time. It even beats out Stitch taking the ugly duckling book into the woods and Simba curling up beside Mufasa.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 pm

I can't forget how badly I wanted to ugly cry in the theater when Quasimodo gets rotten produce thrown at him in Hunchback of Notre Dame. I toned it down to a quiet sniffle because I didn't want my sisters to laugh at me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

"Do You Want to Build a Snowman" made me cry in the theater. I had to keep reaching under my 3-D glasses to wipe my eyes.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 am

Did y'all see this list? I don't agree with it completely (the ranking system doesn't really make any sense), but it pretty much sums up every scene I have cried out in the theaters.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I also do not agree completely, but for the most part the scenes they picked out made me cry. And then I started reading the comments and thinking about the bits that were mentioned and started to tear up (damn you Dumbo!). Disney/Pixar grow strong on my tears apparently.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top