Disney Movies

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Disney Movies

Post  ulkis on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:24 pm

At least it had the opposite effect on me when they listed all the bambi's moms for "Bambi".

You know what they should have counted, even if it was a short? "The Little Matchstick" girl. Oh my God. Brutal. I was ugly crying for 5 minutes.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 pm

It's not Disney, but oh God, Somewhere Out There. I was maybe three when An American Tail came out, and I would weep uncontrollably anytime I heard that song, which was often since the pop version got a lot of radio airplay. It was completely involuntary, and my mom thought it was hilarious. I remember having a party at the house, I was playing in the backyard with the other kids, and my mom called me inside when the song came on the radio so I could cry in front of all her guests. Its popularity passed, life went on, and I didn't hear the song for years. Then one morning when I was in high school, the song came on the radio as my dad took us school. He was like, "Hey, didn't this song make you cry when you were little?" Meanwhile, I was completely choking up/tearing up in the backseat all, "WHAT is HAPPENING to me???" I even cried when Troy and Abed sang it on an episode of Community. Needless to say, I do NOT listen to that song voluntarily. I wish I understood its power over me.

The incinerator scene is Toy Story 3 was sad and all, but it didn't make me cry. I saved the ugly cry for when Andy gave away Woody. That deserves all the Bambi's moms.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 pm

That's hilarious, it's like post-hypnotic suggestion or something. I remember when that song was on ALL THE TIME. And then it was being sold on video in CALL 1-800- commercials and they'd play the song for that too. (For some reason the Rankin-Bass Hobbit and LOTR also got the 1-800 treatment. I distinctly remember "In VHS or Beta!")

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Algae wrote:Did y'all see this list? I don't agree with it completely (the ranking system doesn't really make any sense), but it pretty much sums up every scene I have cried out in the theaters.

My favorite part of the article was one of the first comments, where someone posted a .gif of Fry's dog from Futurama. The very next comment was "NO NO YOU PUT THAT AWAY!"

Gillian, I'm with you - Andy giving up Woody at the end of Toy Story 3 broke me. I'm not admitting anything, but it may be getting all dusty in here, just with my typing about it.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:15 pm

ulkis wrote:At least it had the opposite effect on me when they listed all the bambi's moms for "Bambi".

You know what they should have counted, even if it was a short? "The Little Matchstick" girl. Oh my God. Brutal. I was ugly crying for 5 minutes.

Seriously. I knew it would be sad because I knew the story before watching it, but throw in the gorgeous animation and the music, and I am an absolute mess any time I watch it.

It's almost funny, I think animated movies have made me cry more than live action ones. But of all of them, no animated movie has made me cry more than Toy Story 3. I lost it multiple times during the last 20 minutes or so.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:14 am

Guys, I was pregnant when I saw Toy Story 3 and my son had just started kindergarten. I was a mess at the end of that movie.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:06 am

I just had a total sneak-attack Disney cry moment - I came home to find my daughters watching the end of Treasure Planet and when I tried to sing along with "Always Know Where You Are", I found myself choking on the words.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Speaking of Disney, there was a pretty amazing article in the NY Times over the weekend Reaching My Autistic Son Through Disney. Highly worth the read even though it's lengthy.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Random thoughts on Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, which I rewatched for the first time in forever when I showed it to my little cousin:

-No one really uses the full title, do they? I called it "Snow White" and my little cousin (who is 5) started talking about Smurfs and I was like how do the Smurfs come into play here and she was like "whatever those men are I don't know their name".

-Snow White isn't really as inactive as I remember. She's pretty dumb when it comes to the witch but otherwise she's the one in charge of the Dwarves' house, heh.

-The Queen is awesome, design-wise at the very least. I wish there had been more of her.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:27 pm

I'm so torn about Frozen.

On one hand, I too thought I would hate Olaf (I usually hate the goofy sidekick) but I loved him. I could watch him say "I don't have a skull...or bones" on loop and never stop laughing. What a delight! And I loved the Scandinavian design elements, from the countryside to the wooden decor. "Let It Go" was terrific, and I actually can't get "Love is an open door" out of my head. And I liked the message about sisterhood, and the plot twist
Spoiler:
where the handsome prince turns out to be evilllll.

But, but, but...there were so many things that didn't work for me as well. I felt like there were a lot of plotholes or underexplained things:
1. Why was Kristoff raised by the trolls when he was with the men in the beginning? Did I miss something? Did he get lost? Did he not belong to all those grownups?
2. The trolls in general, didn't work for me. I hated their song.
3. I wish we'd seen a bit more of palace life and who raised the girls...we got Anna's loneliness, but someone must have been interacting with them. Those servants were practically faceless.
4. Was the Duke
Spoiler:
in cahoots with Hans
? He was painted as evil-ish but didn't really do anything. Was there more to his plot that got cut? What a waste of Alan Tudyk!
5. "Let It Go" was such a powerhouse moment, and it seemed like Elsa had found her mojo. But then it was apparent she...hadn't? The revelation seemed mistimed.
6. Why is Kristoff so unfriendly at first?
7. I feel like the whole search for Elsa should have taken place over a longer period of time. It was only a few days, right?
8. Some of the modern slang bothered me.
9. The ice animation was so incredible, and then stuff like the palace ball seemed...super shoddy. Every woman was shaped exactly the same way and wearing one of three dress colors. It seemed half assed.

Basically: all this and more. I'm probably overthinking an animated movie, but other ones were so well developed and plotted, and this one didn't quite hang together for me.

But: Olaf.

Last edited by emrie on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm

I completely agree that you can see the fingerprints of the older versions. This was in development hell for ages. I'm convinced that originally Anna was going to be with Hans and Elsa was going to be with Kristoff. Red head with red head, blonde (and fan of ice) with blonde.

Though I have to say kudos to the marketing team for putting a smiling Hans on every poster, so that they didn't spoil the ending. They even made dolls of him and everything.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:06 pm

I didn't like "Let It Go" when I first heard it, but now it's the #1 song on my Top 25 Most Played list. *sigh*

Still haven't seen the movie, though.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm

But, but, but...there were so many things that didn't work for me as well. I felt like there were a lot of plotholes or underexplained things:
1. Why was Klaus raised by the trolls when he was with the men in the beginning? Did I miss something? Did he get lost? Did he not belong to all those grownups?

Yeah, I assumed he was just a hanger on that the men didn't even notice. (Also his name was Kristoff :) ) I didn't like the trolls either

I agree about the quality of the animation for the winter v the people, but I guess the snow is really the whole point of the movie. Also, shallow, I didn't like Elsa's boring ice dress.

I think the Duke was just supposed to be a
Spoiler:
red herring for Hans

I get where people are coming from with the "where did Elsa get her powers bit" but I don't really care. I mean, no one ever wonders where the villains got their powers. Well, I guess sometimes, which is why we're getting the weird looking Maleficent movie

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am

As a big fan of Veronica Mars, I always knew Kristen Bell was talented, but I had no idea she could sing like that (though I vaguely remember her singing during one of the VM episodes? Maybe?). And especially, I had no idea that she could pull off something like this: All three ages of Anna.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:58 pm

1. Why was Klaus raised by the trolls when he was with the men in the beginning? Did I miss something? Did he get lost? Did he not belong to all those grownups?

Yeah, I assumed he was just a hanger on that the men didn't even notice. (Also his name was Kristoff :) ) I didn't like the trolls either

Haha, chalk that up to my ongoing confusion - why did I think he was named Klaus?

Hanger on or not, I still think it's weird that not one of those adult men wouldn't say "hey kid, be careful!" or "hey kid, where are your parents?" or "hey kid, don't fall off the sled before we're home"!

In other news, I wish I could watch the entirety of Josh Gad recording Olaf.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:19 pm

KBell has some musical experience... (technically SFW, but...just be aware of your surroundings)

Do You Want To Build A Snowman is so goddamn catchy. It's slowly sucking my soul, but CHEERFULLY.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Hanger on or not, I still think it's weird that not one of those adult men wouldn't say "hey kid, be careful!" or "hey kid, where are your parents?" or "hey kid, don't fall off the sled before we're home"!

Maybe they were trying to get rid of him lol, like DAMN I HOPE THAT ANNOYING BRAT FALLS INTO THE ICE.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu May 29, 2014 2:06 am

Friend saw Malificent. (these are tweets)
Malificent: Gorgeous visuals and characters that will make a spectrum of girls happy. And just gay enough to really piss off conservatives.

It's fun! No surprises for a big middle chunk, but overall I liked it.

More pretty than anything, but I enjoyed it.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Thu May 29, 2014 2:48 am

Well, now I know what I'm doing tomorrow night! Plus, I can't get Lana Del Ray's "Once Upon a Dream" out of my head.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Fri May 30, 2014 1:32 pm

I can't stop playing Let It Go. I've heard that the LGBTQ community has adopted it as an anthem of sorts, which is kind of cool.
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:29 pm

We went to see Maleficent in 3D at the weekend and I was a bit disappointed to be honest. It looked lovely in 3D but I thought Imelda Staunton was wasted as one of the 3 fairies and everyone else but Angelina Jolie was just okay.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:18 pm

I really liked it actually. Its not like awards worthy or anything, but I thought it was super fun and all the actors were good. Angelina Jolie was perfect imo.

Its probably my favorite of the fairytale/Disney revisionist films of the last 5 years.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Angelina Jolie was the perfect Maleficent, absolutely. But Elle Fanning's constant smiling felt a bit more show, not tell with regards to her being full of grace and everybody loving her. And as for the Prince, he didn't make an impact at all. It felt a bit generic casting there.

I know that sounds unnecessarily harsh for someone who has posted defending Man of Steel and other films that people were unhappy with so if you're rolling your eyes at me, I completely understand. Heh. This film just didn't click with me.

I only realised that young Aurora was played by Vivienne Jolie-Pitt when I saw it in the credits. I thought the child looked familiar but couldn't remember where I knew her from (which just goes to show that that tabloids have not been doing their job right!!)

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I thought the prince was charming enough but like...he was in two scenes? So I didn't think his impact matter more than oh he likes her, she likes him and hes not fully rapey.

I enjoyed Elle Fanning myself though. She seemed genuinely light and joyful to me, but I've had a soft spot for her since Phoebe in Wonderland.

People like different things. Like I said, I didn't think it was oscar worthy, I just thought it was really fun.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:28 am

I'm way behind the rest of the planet and just barely saw Frozen two weeks ago. Why didn't Olaf suck, guys? He looks like he should have been irritating and smackable, but OMG, he was so freakin' ADORABLE. I wanted to hug him til he melted.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top