The Works of V.C. Andrews

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Works of V.C. Andrews

Post  swsa on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:42 pm

I think they were both equally fucked up, just in very different ways. And in the end, Cathy's "I'll make all of you pay!" rage is a whole lot more understandable than Chris' "Eh, it wasn't that bad. We got to be together and play house!" denial.

I have always wondered what Chris would've been like if he'd had a "normal" childhood. Cause I think that kid had mommy issues that were probably going to mess him up, attic or not.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Hee. I think your right, he would have probably been creepy and hung up on his sister/mother/lover issues either way, but at least when he's in the attic I can feel like it's tragic and sad, that he's happier like that than free and out in the world which he knows will never let him bang/marry his sister. And I was about to say that their dad dying was a big piece of it too, but then I remembered VC and her Russian Nesting Dolls of Incest and Perversion. Nothing is CLEAN.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Oh shit, I had forgotten that their parents were brother and sister as well as half-uncle and niece. Eeek. Those kids never had a chance.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:22 pm

LadyGayle wrote:Oh shit, I had forgotten that their parents were brother and sister as well as half-uncle and niece. Eeek. Those kids never had a chance.
Pretty much. Even without the attic, I think Chris would have had some messed up ideas about sex and relationships, just because his parents were related by blood. That secret was bound to come to light eventually, since Corinne and Chris Sr. looked *exactly* alike. Even the housekeeper was suspicious.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Ah, Chris was already cast as well? I've never heard of Mason Dye but he's definitely got the look I think of when I think of Chris.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:48 pm

I think I always hated Chris because of that rape scene. I was old enough I think where it REALLY disturbed me and I could never get over it. Especially because she was like OH IT WAS MY FAULT and he NEVER GOT ANY PUNISHMENT.

But yeah I think Chris would have been fucked up even without the attic. He had some deep seated mommy issues even in the first two chapters.

I think Bart was the love of her life too. Bart Jr gets her to admit it at one point. Bart Jr. Now THERE was a fucked up horrible person loved. So awful. And yet he was my favorite of her kids.

Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:22 pm

I never so much thought Cathy truly blamed herself for the rape or thought it was no big. I think it was more that she had no one in her life she could rely on other than Chris, which both warped her perspective of what love is, and made her desperate to get over it just because she had to. She literally couldn't survive if there was a wedge between her and Chris if she allowed herself to feel betrayed by him. I just think it was big-time denial on her part. Once she's out of the attic, she seemed much more resentful over the whole thing.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Cathy at least tried to make a life for herself apart from the shit that went down in the attic. Chris never tried, which made him one of the creepiest fictional characters I ever read. I remembered being stunned that some of my friends shipped Chris and Cathy, because I thought he was all kinds of gross.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Yeah, Chris was obsessed and creepy and Oedipal to the max. Didn't he try to rape her again after the attic, when they were living with Dr. Paul (another creeper!)? And he found the food she'd been hoarding under her bed? I swear I remember that. I never got the sense Cathy ever really wanted to be with Chris - in the end she was just too beaten down to fight him anymore.

I say again, I wish Bart had lived. I thought he was awesome.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 pm

LadyGayle wrote:Yeah, Chris was obsessed and creepy and Oedipal to the max. Didn't he try to rape her again after the attic, when they were living with Dr. Paul (another creeper!)? And he found the food she'd been hoarding under her bed? I swear I remember that. I never got the sense Cathy ever really wanted to be with Chris - in the end she was just too beaten down to fight him anymore.

I say again, I wish Bart had lived. I thought he was awesome.
I think Chris tried to do Cathy under the Christmas tree at Dr. Paul's house, then carried her upstairs and found the food she was hiding under her bed. It's been a while since I read it, though.

I agree that Bart Sr. was the best of Cathy's men. The biggest sin he committed was adultery, which is nothing compared to raping your sister or perving on your ward.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 am

Evil Evelyn wrote:I think Chris tried to do Cathy under the Christmas tree at Dr. Paul's house, then carried her upstairs and found the food she was hiding under her bed.  It's been a while since I read it, though.
One of the great delights of Snarkfest is watching people discuss these books when I haven't read them. (I have read 50-page bits of lots of them, but I always get bored.) Freed from context, they are especially wonderful.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:55 pm

They cast Bart. Here's hoping this means he has an actual role in this one.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Evelyn on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 pm

That's a good looking Bart.

Evil Evelyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Now I'm kinda hoping they do them all (and recast KS before Cathy/Bart happens because she is amazing but...no). Even if they are train wrecks (in...a different way then the books) they will be entertaining.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Okay I just finished my first re-read of FitA since I was um 16 and GOLLY-LOLLY did I not remember how heavily Cathy uses variations on that phrase. Also I forgot that Chris was a pretty huge creep even while in the attic and how he bids their prison/death chamber adieu as if it were the source of his fondest memories.

I could not help laughing when they kept putting of leaving the attic even though they had a KEY, cause..money, and conveniently the very day they finally decide to get off the pot is the day the powdered donuts of FATE will deliver the cruelest blow. Wowsas Corrine is the WORST person in the world. Really.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Here's the trailer for the 'Flowers in the Attic' remake. Incesty!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Who would've thought it would take a tv movie to actually tackle that part?

Not sure what I think. Kiernan looks good, but Graham and Burstyn don't seem nearly threatening enough to me. I suppose it makes sense though since just about the ONLY things the first movie got right were Victoria Tennant and Louise Fletcher, who were both right out of the book for me.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:10 pm

I suppose it makes sense though since just about the ONLY things the first movie got right were Victoria Tennant and Louise Fletcher, who were both right out of the book for me.
For me, Heather Graham seems perfect as Corrine -- I always pictured her as someone slightly younger and more erratic/unstable.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 pm

Yeah to me in the book she was so awful because she wasn't threatening. She was just weak and willing to throw her own kids under the bus.

I agree Fletcher was terrifying, but I think Burstyn more then has that in her.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabella on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Another trailer link. In watching, it occurred to me that the whole attic set-up didn't exactly help with preventing inappropriate attachments between relatives, you know? Maybe Corinne was all whatever about that, because she did knowingly marry a half-uncle and they had the most perfect blonde existences ever before her husband died. But you would think Olivia would just send Chris or Cathy to an orphanage or something. But then there's no story and she wasn't the most rational person, so...

Arabella

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:40 pm

Wasn't it that she basically WANTED them to fall into it? I think her mind was so warped with bitterness and anger that she wanted them to validate every horrible thing she'd done/thought so that she could assure herself it was all worth it.

I also remember in the prequel that she felt if the Grandfather knew about the kids, he'd end up loving them, because he was a sucker for pretty people. And I think that belief just made her hate them even more.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Yeah I think it's about validating what she thinks about fruit of the poison tree (Alicia's blonde children and sin!), and also REVENGE. Showing Corrine what she was really made of was the point, that she was as rotten as Olivia if not worse, that she would murder/imprison/abandon her own children out of greed/vanity. Once Malcolm was dead, I don't think she gave much of a crap about Corrine's kids outside the confirmation bias.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 pm

When exactly did Malcolm find out about the kids? Did he know of them before they even moved in, or was it after? I can't remember.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Crowbridge wrote:When exactly did Malcolm find out about the kids?  Did he know of them before they even moved in, or was it after?  I can't remember.
The series implied he didn't know but the last prequel book (not actually written by VC) says that he knew about them the whole time, since their birth.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I haven't read any V.C. Andrews (the covers were too creepy), but I've seen a bunch of articles recently because of the movie, and this one is pretty good, I thought.

She started writing at 48!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top