Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theatre

+28
Snarryfan
laddical
puddingcup
Algae
jstilwe
dinahmoe
rivki8699
dionneshea
katesti
Raised by wolves
Coneycat
ulkis
TiffanyNichelle
Instant Monkeys
choubetcha
BrightEyes
mokey75
naughty zoot
Matinee
Carrie Ann
Rhilin
punzy
Morning Angel
epudom
Case
maxell131313
Auroura76
harvey the penguin
32 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Theatre - Page 2 Empty Re: Theatre

Post  katesti Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:44 pm

#Hamiltunes, you guys. Hamiltunes.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:21 pm

UGH, katesti, I listened to it all the way through twice yesterday and cried both times, in multiple places, and am just waiting until this afternoon when I can listen again. I'm thisclose to spending an egregious amount of money that I don't have to get myself to the show. My FOMO is out of control.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:59 pm

We DID spend an egregious amount - we're going to NY (from Denver) at the end of March, and we have never been so happy to be fiscally irresponsible.

We (me and my husband) have been following Lin-Manuel Miranda's career since In the Heights and, as a Twitterican, I've gotten to see the process of the making of this show right up close. I love Heights a lot, but this work is so much deeper and more layered. His rhymes are stunning, his references - theater, rap history, poetry, Shakespeare - are brilliant, and the music needs just as much attention. Listening to it all the way through, listening to how it references itself, finding themes as they reoccur...there's so much to unpack. It's a dense, incredible work, and I'm proud of him like he's actually a real friend of mine.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:07 pm

I've only been following the process for the last six months or so, but I can still relate! LMM is so accessible and still seems very down-to-earth about all of this, so it does feel like watching a friend go through something incredible. Every time I see a Big Name get excited about Hamilton, I get all squishy inside.

And, yeah, my husband and I are pretty close to just spending that money. It's just flights + tix because we have a room to stay in at my BIL's in Greenwich Village...seems like we need to just do it.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:54 pm

You do! Especially because you have a place to stay! We've actually only bought the show tickets at this point, but...we have six more months to do the rest.

(Can't believe we're really going! Eeeeeek!)

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:46 am

High-five for spending egregious amounts of money! We are going in July!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:58 pm

WAHOO! Fiscally irresponsible adults FTW!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 pm

My boss got tickets for next month due to luck and happenstance. I'm seething with jealousy. (However, he did promise to bring me back black and white cookies and bagels, so my jealousy is tempered.)
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:59 pm

I saw Hamilton in August and it's just as amazing as you can imagine.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Joining the fiscally irresponsible adult club--looks like we're going in June! It's so far away...*sobs* *restarts cast recording*
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:27 pm

YES, Carrie Ann, that is super great news!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 pm

I am silently raging at my sister for selfishly moving out of the city to Maine to raise a family, thus depriving me free accommodations... while also concocting for my parents a clever birthday/Christmas (they occur in the same week) package deal wish-list request (probably for the next 20 years.)
dinahmoe
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 am

Guess who just got two Hamilton tickets for her birthday?? In September, but whatever! I am just so obsessed.

Also kind of in love with King George.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:55 am

Oooh! So jealous!

Can I come? Please? I promise I'll behave.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:33 pm

Awesome!!!!

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 pm

I kinda listened to Hamilton with trepidation*, and I am STILL have not listened to the whole of it yet, but yesterday was the first time I listened to "non-stop" and that is maybe the first song I loved, although I like what I've heard so far. Also Lin Manuel Miranda looks pretty good in period clothes.

*because usually when I get sucked into a musical I get obssessed and I don't feel like being obsessed, heh. So luckily for me I don't love it. Yet.

Meanwhile I am grouchy because the original cast recording of The Hunchback of Notre Dame has not come out yet, but I am grateful it is being recorded in English at all, so there's that. Although I'm also grouchy they took out Tanz auf dem seil.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:34 pm

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:25 pm

puddingcup wrote:Hamilpeeps

hee, cute.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun May 15, 2016 12:05 pm

The Studio Cast Recording of Hunchback is out. I've been listening to it via AppleMusic. It's amazing. I love every change they made from the movie and most of the new songs. The gargoyles are still there but not for sidekick comic relief. Quasimodo speaks like Lon Chaney's version when talking to other people but then has a normal voice when singing his internal monologues. "God Help the Outcasts" is still the most beautiful thing and "Hellfire" is still great to sing along with, even if the song is all kinds of creepy and fucked up. Esmeralda dies and Quasi straight up murders Frollo.

Basically, it's everything I always want the animated movie to be. I love the movie, but every time "A Guy Like You" comes up, I'm reminded that it's very much still a Disney movie - one that could have completely broken their mold, but didn't.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue May 17, 2016 12:42 pm

When you guys were all talking about Hamilton a while back, I didn't really know much about it. Time passes and it becomes a pop culture juggernaut, and one can't escape the "impossible to get tickets" mentions in the media.

And then a few weeks ago Lin was on John Oliver and they showed a clip, and he sang. And...I was hooked. Got the cast album and pretty well haven't listened to anything since. Actually looked into scalper tickets to see if I could somehow swing a trip to NYC. I think if I could've got tix two days in a row for under $500 each (ha!) I might have done it. But alas, current prices are out of my budget. They changed the rules on Wednesday for how many tix one person can purchase. A ton of tickets got cancelled and released on Wednesday. And I missed it. Wah!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed May 18, 2016 12:17 am

Welcome to the obsession that will consume your waking days. I'd say it's not worth all the fuss but that's a lie from the lips of Aaron Burr. Mwahahahaha.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Wed May 18, 2016 9:37 am

Once you listen you won't know how to say no to this.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed May 18, 2016 8:38 pm

I got the Hamilton libretto and the Ron Chernow book for Mother's Day!

I actually looked for tix again yesterday when I chose a random date in July and the airfair was about half what I was expecting. Except the tickets are not only crazy CRAZY expensive ($1200), they only seem to come in pairs. Ugh. I want to see it with the original cast so badly.

It doesn't help that my husband is all "go for it!!". Someone (me!) has to be fiscally responsible! Cos I couldn't fly all that way and only see it once...

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Wed May 18, 2016 8:41 pm

Supposedly the resale tickets drop in price the closer you get to show date. But that's a long way to fly without having tickets. You could always buy two and resell one of them, but that's a bit of a gamble, too.

I have tickets for September and January (got lucky with those tickets that got released the other night), but I am constantly fighting the urge to spend an obscene amount of money to see the original cast before July.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed May 18, 2016 8:43 pm

What's happening in July? Is someone leaving?

Also, ridiculously jealous!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next