Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

Page 2 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

Post  sagitare on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:11 pm

"A very small man can cast a very long shadow..."

Woo!! And I hope that long shadow puts the righteous smackdown on Joffrey, who looks to be up to his usual power-mad business, oy.
sagitare

Back to top Go down

New Season 2 trailer

Post  wenchsenior on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66PDW1Mjf8&feature=player_embedded

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:42 pm

And this one too!
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:45 pm

I rented the first two discs today and MAN, I could watch Tyrion slapping that little bitch Joffrey all day long.

The opening credits are amazing, too.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 pm

The Simpsons does a Game of Thrones style intro - awesome!
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:I rented the first two discs today and MAN, I could watch Tyrion slapping that little bitch Joffrey all day long.
One of the best scenes of season 1. If you search You Tube for "game of thrones tyrion slaps joffrey" there are a bunch of vids that loop the slaps over and over and over. I would have linked directly, but some of the related videos contain spoilers.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Simpsons take on GoT

I also love Tyrion's comment about "Someday my awful nephew will be king". He is the one member of the family who has him figured out.

April huh?
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am

Man, you guys, I had the perfect plan. The DVDs released at Netflix today. I purposely held onto two DVDs at home, which I returned yesterday, so they would hit Netflix the day GoT was released, thus allowing me to skip the inevitable "very long wait," and hopefully the wait would have eased by the time I was ready for disc 3. This morning I got the e-mail that they had received my DVDs. But then later I got the shipping notice for stuff on my queue underneath GoT. Booooo. And yes, they're at "very long wait." I guess everyone had this idea.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 am

Well, they're available on Amazon Instant and iTunes now, so there's that.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 am

I had the same plan, Instant Monkeys. Luckily, I'm unemployed and could be at the video store at 10:01 this morning to snag their copies.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:22 pm

I also love Tyrion's comment about "Someday my awful nephew will be king". He is the one member of the family who has him figured out.

I think the rest of them (Cersei, Tywin) know Joffrey will make a crap king as well, although Cersei may have hope for the future. The difference is, they think they can control Joffrey, and so welcome the power that they think will come with him, but Tyrion knows off the bat that Joffrey has no affection for him/can be controlled.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Nice work, Unlucky Bear -- did you have to fight anyone on the way out?
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Surprisingly, no. But I was in and out by about 10 minutes after 10:00....and someone had beat me to the first set of DVDs.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

For the unitiated I ask that you burn through the series before you come back here spoilers will ruin it for you and if you would record yourelf watching the show it would be appreciated.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm

The Dude wrote:For the unitiated I ask that you burn through the series before you come back here spoilers will ruin it for you and if you would record yourelf watching the show it would be appreciated.

HEH.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Hee! I bet that's a subcategory on YouTube.

I've read the first book (and begun the second) so I think I know the stuff that's gonna happen already, unless there are drastic changes from the book. I figure I should be able to stay well ahead of the HBO airing schedule in my reading, unless I read as slow as GRRM writes.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:50 pm

If you're anything like me, you will go into this fugue state for 3 weeks where you all you do is go to work, eat, and mainline the books. You'll have the whole series read by the time the show starts.

(And no, no major changes. Which is actually connected to something that's been bugging me a lot--I've read in several places, including multiple times in EW, about how HBO deserves credit for killing off their show's main character. Every time I see that, I'm like "HBO didn't make that decision, assholes! GRRM did!" Does HBO deserve credit for taking a huge, expensive gamble and making a fantastically written, acted, and directed sword-and-sorcery series based off a bunch of doorstopper books with nothing but a relatively small cult following? Absolutely. Do they deserve credit for adhering, to the letter, out of narrative necessity, to an already existing plot? Not so much.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:15 pm

WAIT WHAT, A MAJOR CHARACTER IS KILLED???

I definitely got that way with the first book. I'm trying to take breaks in between them so I can whittle away at my pile of New Yorkers (and so I don't use them up too fast), but I couldn't take it anymore and (virtually) cracked the second one. Now all I wanna do is read it. Sorry, work.

BTW, every time I think of the series I think of this from Parks & Rec. I love that Ben.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:06 pm

And no, no major changes.

From what I understand though that is majorly going to change this season and all the rest.
Spoiler:
I haven't actually *read* the spoilers, but it sounds like they are going to kaleidoscope things in CoK and really rework Dani's storyline, as she essentially sits on her ass in the desert for three books getting trippy and then watching a bunch of people fight/die for and around her. Plus Dragons.
The first season is the only one that will fit a one book/one season pattern.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:22 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:Hee! I bet that's a subcategory on YouTube.
This NSFW clip has to end up on Tosh.0 at some point.

I can see it being a gutsy call for HBO to go with a series where you lose the protagonist in the first season as he was the bankable star. It fits narratively with some other shows they did, but we knew it was coming with Ceasar and Wild Bill. i guess the producers figured if need be they could have brought in a name for Renly, but from the sounds of it his character is kind of a dullard. It's all moot since Dinkledge acted the shit out of his part.

Even though I figured that was where it was headed after episode 8 I haven't had much of an "oh shit!" reaction like that since Sopranos season 2. Still I just can't imagine this series with Ned being traded for for Jaime having any umph. Now I'm all like "Fuck the Blond Man!"
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 am

My husband is watching the series unspoiled, and I feel bad for him because he has to pause the DVD at least a couple of times an episode to ask me who this person is, and how they are related to everyone else, and so on. I know if I hadn't read the book first, I'd have no idea what's going on.

Also, I thought I had a high tolerance for graphic sex and violence, but this show is seriously testing my limits.

And for someone who claimed to not enjoy or care about Downton Abbey, my husband sure recognized Iain Glen (Sir Richard Carlisle) as Ser Jorah pretty quickly.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:34 am

The Dude wrote:This NSFW clip has to end up on Tosh.0 at some point.
OMG, that is PRICELESS. The friend's reaction is almost funnier. "I thought somebody really died!"

I think I just absorbed through general cultural osmosis an inkling that Ned was going to die. I knew SOMEONE big was going to die. I was prepared for a lot MORE people to die actually. I know, I have a lot of books still to go though.

And I did know about some of the casting, and I knew Peter Dinklage is Tyrion, and I don't know if that's influenced my enjoyment of the character or what, but I love Peter Dinklage and I LOVE Tyrion. He is totally my favorite character. Dinklage is so perfect for the part, with all the dry sarcastic humor. I love him, so therefore I fully expect him to be killed at any moment. (If you don't mind, don't spoil me here if you know. I promise I'll stay out of the book thread.)

Also, I think I like Sansa more now because of the campaigning at Fandom March Madness. Clearly I am easily swayed because I really pretty much hated her in the book, but after seeing that stuff I had a total turnaround on her. It helps that, obviously, she's turned a corner here at the beginning of the second book.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:
The Dude wrote:This NSFW clip has to end up on Tosh.0 at some point.
OMG, that is PRICELESS. The friend's reaction is almost funnier. "I thought somebody really died!"

I think I just absorbed through general cultural osmosis an inkling that Ned was going to die. I knew SOMEONE big was going to die. I was prepared for a lot MORE people to die actually. I know, I have a lot of books still to go though.

And I did know about some of the casting, and I knew Peter Dinklage is Tyrion, and I don't know if that's influenced my enjoyment of the character or what, but I love Peter Dinklage and I LOVE Tyrion. He is totally my favorite character. Dinklage is so perfect for the part, with all the dry sarcastic humor. I love him, so therefore I fully expect him to be killed at any moment. (If you don't mind, don't spoil me here if you know. I promise I'll stay out of the book thread.)

Also, I think I like Sansa more now because of the campaigning at Fandom March Madness. Clearly I am easily swayed because I really pretty much hated her in the book, but after seeing that stuff I had a total turnaround on her. It helps that, obviously, she's turned a corner here at the beginning of the second book.

That clip is so hilarious because it's true...everybody who got remotely invested in the books, let alone the newbies to the series, went through that. Although I personally went through it mostly in book 3 OMIFGOD so many people die, and so much jaw dropping stuff happens in the last third of that book. After that, I figured all bets were off, and I have tried to brace myself. But even so, the last 50 pages or so of the last book STILL had me all upset. And I should know better by now.

Re: Tyrion...he was my favorite character in the books, and I was desperately hoping that Dinklage would be cast, which made Tyrion even more awesome, if possible.

Re: Sansa...and Jamie and about a billion other characters: one of the things that I love about the series is that I started out with solid character loves/hates, but 5 books in, my loyalties are now confused and all over the damn place.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

I had to laugh today I had to have a mole removed and my derm used his "special knife" made of Obsidian, aka Dragon Glass. Heh.

I so can not wait for it be April already.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Apparently obsidian blades have a finer edge than steel. They're just brittle.

I am starting to worry about GRRM's writing speed again. Is the show gonna catch up to him before he gets the sixth book out? I thought the writing was supposed to come along faster once he had dealt with the Mereenese knot....*wringing hands*

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top