Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

+57
dionneshea
PirateCatarina
Carrie Ann
nazlan
Corellderaan
mandalaya
emrie
gannetguts
Shalamar
Kiran
laddical
FiggyPudding
Esseilte
truecrystal
bbridges
Eris Rising
inversed
BrightEyes
harvey the penguin
Corvus
draco vulgaris
Matinee
biakbiak
themis
jstilwe
midnight radio
xyzzy
MaddyCat
ariadne
punkysdilemma
TiffanyNichelle
RiverThames
sen3
Charishawk
Fiammetta
blixie
Cynara
laurelin_kit
Instant Monkeys
Unlucky Bear
allochthonous
wenchsenior
sagitare
punzy
queenofdenile
The Dude
tothemax
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
Caramel Coffee
Wilhelmina
ulkis
oresteia
NewYorkStranger
ActonBell
naughty zoot
Red Wolf
61 posters

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey) - Page 22 Empty Re: Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

Post  blixie Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:46 am

might be coming for Arya (not that I think it will get that far, but I definitely think she's going to be in a threatened position),

I'm not that mad about this, she's the threat, not Trant, she has the angle and will kill him, but yes they had to decide the way to kill him was via Trant's wholly invented pedophilia.

I thought that was strong episode, but a disjointed one, like I could not follow what was happening with Elaria, and why is Doran sending his only heir to Kings Landing? Because it worked out so well with Oberyn? He must have some trick up his sleeve, and it did feel a tad like a set up. Here's hoping.

The burning of Shireen is horrible, but not something I haven't anticipated out of Stannis both in the books and on the show. FUCK STANNIS. FUCK MELISANDRE. Roose is all damn BOYEE even I wouldn't burn my child alive for power yo. (Though now that I think it over....)

Dany and the Dragons was a good scene I guess, but in terms of storytelling I find it all to be a hot mess Hizdarh was NOT aligned with the Sons of the Harpy, and it was crucial in the books that even after the showdown in the pits, that Dany had a Mereenese group still loyal to her, now she and subsequently Tyrion/Daario do not. Still I loved Drogon barbecuing all those bastards.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey) - Page 22 Empty Re: Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

Post  wenchsenior Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:49 am

Sacrificing Shireen I somehow did not see coming. I should have, but I didn't, and it was so horrible. I felt so emotionally jacked around by the end of the episode, I didn't know what I thought.  But here is the strangest part:

So, I just happened to have read Euripides' Iphigenia at Aulis earlier in the day (yes, that's the type of weird recreational thing I'm liable to spend my Sunday afternoon on), and as this episode unfolded, I had the WEIRDEST and most irrational sensation that my reading of it had actually influenced the way the episode was going!  I felt so guilty, like if I hadn't read that play, the writers would have gone a different way.

Sorry for my evil influence, everyone! I'll try to use my powers for good from now on. Ok, maybe not good, but so that the correct people die in the most horrible ways LOL.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:29 pm

dionneshea wrote: My only wish now is that when Davos comes back he murders Melisandre and Stannis and then goes back to join the Night's Watch to support Jon.

I figure that rather than kill Stannis (because I think Davos is ultimately a good guy) he's just going to abandon Stannis and head for the Wall, and maybe even take the Black. That would free up Brienne to kill Stannis which I would find VERY satisfying. Not only has she vowed to kill him for what he did to Renly, but it would be so awesome to see the man who has striven so hard to be "just" to get taken out by probably the noblest person in Westeros.

And while I do hate what happened to Shireen (and I hope it doesn't happen in the books!), religious fanaticism and it's consequences have been a big theme this season. Here's hoping it comes around to biting Stannis on the ass, just like it did for Cersei.

As for Melisandre, I just want her to die after she realizes she done screwed up REAL good and backed the wrong horse. Stannis is NOT Azor Ahai reborn, and instead that's someone else. And hopefully that someone else will be the person who also kills her dead. And if that person is Dany and she BBQs her, I don't think anyone is going to complain.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Davos is still married and his wife still alive as are two of his younger sons. Taking the black is not something he would or could do. Sorry his devotional love for Marya is one of the many things I adore about him.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Davos is still married and his wife still alive as are two of his younger sons. Taking the black is not something he would or could do
While I don't see Davos taking the black for any number of reasons, I don't think having a living wife and/or children means he COULDN'T. After taking vows they're not allowed to marry or father children, but prior marriages/children aren't an issue. Mormont clearly had living, albeit grown children.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Correct. Once a man takes the Black, he may not have children or marry. There's no rule that a man who takes the Black must be childless or a widower. I'm pretty sure that at least some of the criminals who joined were probably married. And before he was executed, most people expected Eddard Stark to be given the option to take the Black, and he was very much married to Catelyn.

However, I would tend to agree that most men of a certain class don't join the Night's Watch if their wives are still living. My only reason for thinking Davos might be joining up is because we know what's about to happen to Jon Snow. The Watch is going to probably need a new Lord Commander, and Davos would be a good choice. Of course, for that very reason, he probably would not be selected.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:08 pm

The Dude wrote:You might want to read Arya's preview chapter from WoW Carrie.
I did--I don't remember every bit of it, but it doesn't really change my feeling about this. She's going to get close to Trant by playing a prostitute. And yeah, she IS the threat, but he's a member of the King's Guard, is way bigger than her, seemed to have some moment of recognition when he saw her, etc. I think it will be set up for us to feel like she is in danger, physically and possibly sexually, because we can't do anything without threatening a woman with sexual assault before, during, or after.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:Correct.  Once a man takes the Black, he may not have children or marry.  There's no rule that a man who takes the Black must be childless or a widower.  I'm pretty sure that at least some of the criminals who joined were probably married.  And before he was executed, most people expected Eddard Stark to be given the option to take the Black, and he was very much married to Catelyn.

However, I would tend to agree that most men of a certain class don't join the Night's Watch if their wives are still living.  My only reason for thinking Davos might be joining up is because we know what's about to happen to Jon Snow.  The Watch is going to probably need a new Lord Commander, and Davos would be a good choice.  Of course, for that very reason, he probably would not be selected.

The guy John replaced is Sir Friendzone's father.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:28 pm

In the episode post-mortem Beinoff revealed a bit of a spoiler about the books.

Spoiler:
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Pretty sure the internet will lose its collective shit about Jon. And given we're now even with the books, I have to say I wonder how he's getting out of that one. Warging into Ghost, perhaps? But that talent hasn't been as well established in the show... (edit: reddit has reminded me that Melisandre is now at Castle Black and we know the red priests can raise the dead...)

Glad to see Sansa picking those locks but jeez, Sansa! Maybe use that GIANT ASS BATTLE as a time to escape and not wait until everyone's coming back in the door?

Loved the visual of the Dothraki surrounding Dany like a giant whirlpool.

It was excruciating to watch, but I thought Lena Heady nailed Cersei's entire walk. Something about her skin and hair color all together made her look like she was made of gold, otherworldly almost. Incredible acting. (And I read that they had to get special dispensation from the city of Dubrovnik to film a naked person like that...)

I didn't like that way Jorah was looking at Daario. Jorah, my friend, I like you but you'd BEST not touch one hair on pretty Daario's head.

Go, Arya, go!

Last edited by emrie on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:40 pm

emrie wrote:Pretty sure the internet will lose its collective shit about Jon. And given we're now even with the books, I have to say I wonder how he's getting out of that one. Warging into Ghost, perhaps? But that talent hasn't been as well established in the show... (edit: reddit has reminded me that Melisandre is now at Castle Black and we know the red priests can raise the dead...)
This is my guess. Now that Stannis is gone, she needs another king to back...

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:46 am

You already have people who are pissed off about what happened to Jon and are now saying they're going to quit the show because they're no one good left to root for. Throw in the interview that Kit Harrington gave confirming that he's dead and that Jon Snow ISN'T coming back, and it seems that maybe Jon really is dead. I have been hoping that he wasn't because I like Jon, and I'm also weary of most of the "good" characters ending up dead. I'm really hoping this is all a tremendous fake out, and that Jon's going to find himself resurrected and now that he's died he can leave behind his vow to the Night's Watch.

But hey, Brienne got to avenge Renly, and Sansa's out of Winterfell. Here's hoping those two meet up in the wood somewhere and get the hell out of the North.

It also looks like the whole sojourn to Dorne was just to get Jaime to really hate the Martells, and I have no idea where that story line is going.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:54 am

The only moment in the entire episode I was happy for anyone was during the Jaime/Myrcella funcle/daughter conversation. It was so genuinely sweet (if, you know, incesty). And then I was reminded that nobody on this show ever gets to be happy.

I hope Cersei and Dany somehow team up on dragonback and burn the faith to the fucking ground. I don't know how this show managed to make me feel rage on behalf of CERSEI of all people, but the walk of atonement was excruciating to watch. I want her to kill them all.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:03 am

You can already see the wheels turning in Cersie's head over that humiliation. Now while she lacks the skill to plot a good revenge, she sure as hell will take a chunk out of the Faith.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:11 am

That Kit Harrington interview kind of shocked me, to be honest. I still don't believe Jon dies for keeps, but now I'm wondering whether he survives by warging, and will eventually take over another human body, and therefore be played by a different actor? Either that or KH is trolling, big time. I just...won't believe that Jon is dead.

Otherwise, my favorite scene was probably Tyrion and Varys. They are a delight together.

I didn't expect that Jaime/Myrcella conversation to go so well, and my husband called the poisoning as soon as Ellaria kissed her, but I was in denial until Jaime looked so happy. And then I knew, because no one can be happy, ever.

Also a little surprised about Stannis, and not sure what is going to happen with the Boltons now. Maybe the Greyjoys will make a comeback in S6?
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:21 am

Carrie Ann wrote:Also a little surprised about Stannis, and not sure what is going to happen with the Boltons now.
Well, we didn't actually see him die, and that would be the first major character death where they shy away from showing the gruesome details, so I think it's in the realm of possibility he's alive, although that would be a major copout.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:12 am

I suppose Stannis could still be alive. I just figured that since Stannis told Brienne to do her duty that pretty much gave her the go-ahead to execute him even if we didn't see the aftermath.

As for Jon, given Kit's interview maybe instead of a resurrection we are going to get "Jon Snow", but just in another actors body. That could be interesting depending on who Jon wargs into. I'd have to assume that since Jon was so severely injured he's going to have to push into the mind of someone close at hand. I'm not counting out a risen Jon either though. I saw a recent picture of him and his hair was still pretty long.

Anybody have any thoughts on what we're going to see next season? I know there's speculation based on casting notices that maybe the show is going to backtrack a bit and give us some of the stuff with the Greyjoys. I'm also figuring Bran is going to be back in some capacity.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:46 am

Despite all interviews I don't believe this is the last we have seen of Kit Harrington' s Jon Snow until GOts series finale which will come long before the books end or even the next book is published (my money is on the show ending before the end of the next book is published)!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:47 am

I don't believe Jon is dead despite what Kit Harrington says. This would not be the first time that a show I watched insisted that a huge character was dead, no for real, we even took the actor's name out of the credits, only to have that character come back.

But on the off off chance that he IS, I'm done. I can handle darkness, I can't handle monotonous sadism. And I'm pissed that I'll have to deal with the king of monotonous sadism, Ramsay, for another year.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:56 am

Since we didn't actually see Brienne kill Stannis, I'm choosing to picture Poderick stopping her at the last moment for some perfectly good reason which I can't think of right now. They then meet up with Sansa and Theon (and Ghost) and hit the road, plotting revenge on the Boltons and Melisandre.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:15 am

jstilwe wrote:The only moment in the entire episode I was happy for anyone was during the Jaime/Mercella funcle/daughter conversation. It was so genuinely sweet (if, you know, incesty). And then I was reminded that nobody on this show ever gets to be happy.

I hope Cersei and Dany somehow team up on dragonback and burn the faith to the fucking ground. I don't know how this show managed to make me feel rage on behalf of CERSEI of all people, but the walk of atonement was excruciating to watch. I want her to kill them all.

This is exactly what happened to me reading about it. I went from hating her, to kind of understanding her, to starting to feel a little sympathy for her terrible situation (which admittedly, she partly got herself into). By the time book 4 was over, I wanted bloody vengeance on the High Sparrow and all his followers.

Lena Heady was amazing in that sequence. Obviously it is stressful to be nude in front of strangers for most people, but a lot of actors will still do it, esp if they are made to look sexy or attractive. But as I commented to my husband that completely beside the nudity, as an actor you would have to recognize going in that some viewers will be rooting for your character (like me, chanting, "chin up Cersei, fuck ALL these losers around you, keep walking, you know you are a goddess") while some viewers will be taking sadistic pleasure in the whole thing. And the weird part is, both of those reactions are understandable. So if you go into it as actor pumping yourself up to do it by thinking, "all the viewers will suddenly start sympathizing with me," you could be in for some unpleasant regrets afterward.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:49 am

wenchsenior wrote:This is exactly what happened to me reading about it. I went from hating her, to kind of understanding her, to starting to feel a little sympathy for her terrible situation (which admittedly, she partly got herself into). By the time book 4 was over, I wanted bloody vengeance on the High Sparrow and all his followers.

Lena Heady was amazing in that sequence. Obviously it is stressful to be nude in front of strangers for most people, but a lot of actors will still do it, esp if they are made to look sexy or attractive. But as I commented to my husband that completely beside the nudity, as an actor you would have to recognize going in that some viewers will be rooting for your character (like me, chanting, "chin up Cersei, fuck ALL these losers around you, keep walking, you know you are a goddess") while some viewers will be taking sadistic pleasure in the whole thing. And the weird part is, both of those reactions are understandable. So if you go into it as actor pumping yourself up to do it by thinking, "all the viewers will suddenly start sympathizing with me," you could be in for some unpleasant regrets afterward.
That was actually a body double, but I still think filming it would be traumatic, for both Lena and the double. And, yeah, I've already seen a bunch of people with the reaction that that was exactly what Cersei deserved. Great! Perfect message to take from that horror show.

I was sympathetic to Cersei in the books until she kinda spun out into drunken hubris in the last two books (even then, I just found her kind of sad and tedious, like Tyrion); I'm much, much more sympathetic to her on the show, to the point that I realized I was really rooting against Margaery this season. That scene was exactly as awful as I thought it'd be; so glad they didn't spare a second of that. Ugh, I need at least a year off of this show.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:I suppose Stannis could still be alive.  I just figured that since Stannis told Brienne to do her duty that pretty much gave her the go-ahead to execute him even if we didn't see the aftermath.

He also had a pretty bad cut on his leg, which may have been an artery.

I am happy that was the same actor playing the Mountain.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:38 am

Carrie Ann wrote:
That was actually a body double, but I still think filming it would be traumatic, for both Lena and the double.

You know, I knew that, so I expected the scene to be shot with facial close-ups and body-shots from a distance without a clear look at her face. Instead it was-- not that at all. I shouldn't be surprised at the digital technology-- this is a show with dragons-- but it was still pretty astounding FX work.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:55 pm

I was a *little* skeptical that the body double was supposed to be that of a woman who had had three kids, but they did a good job compositing it all. I assume Lena Headey's pregnancy made it necessary, or does she have a no nudity clause?
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next