Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

+57
dionneshea
PirateCatarina
Carrie Ann
nazlan
Corellderaan
mandalaya
emrie
gannetguts
Shalamar
Kiran
laddical
FiggyPudding
Esseilte
truecrystal
bbridges
Eris Rising
inversed
BrightEyes
harvey the penguin
Corvus
draco vulgaris
Matinee
biakbiak
themis
jstilwe
midnight radio
xyzzy
MaddyCat
ariadne
punkysdilemma
TiffanyNichelle
RiverThames
sen3
Charishawk
Fiammetta
blixie
Cynara
laurelin_kit
Instant Monkeys
Unlucky Bear
allochthonous
wenchsenior
sagitare
punzy
queenofdenile
The Dude
tothemax
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
Caramel Coffee
Wilhelmina
ulkis
oresteia
NewYorkStranger
ActonBell
naughty zoot
Red Wolf
61 posters

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Go down

Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey) - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

Post  The Dude Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 am

I liked Gillen's take there too, he was scared she'd actually have them go through it. Probably not the best move to confirm someone's opinion when they say in a backhanded way that they know you're a weasel.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey) - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones (Book Spoilers, Srsly, Monkey)

Post  wenchsenior Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am

This ep has one of the things that has consistently impressed me about the show: the added/changed scenes are often just as great as the stuff in the books. I loved ALL of the confrontation scenes (Tyrion/Cersei, Cersei/Littlefinger, Cersei/Joffrey, and Robb/Jamie), and I don't think any of them were from the books. Great special effects/lighting on Robb and his wolf...made them very menacing.

Shallow note: I have no idea what Ian Glen has been doing during the last couple of years to suddenly become EPIC HOT, when before he was always just sort of ok for most of his career, but I want that secret.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am

I don't know when it happened. Maybe when Grey Wind chomped on that guy's fingers last season but suddenly I have become the biggest Robb Stark fangirl. Mmm. I thought the scene with him, his direwolf and Jamie was well done, as was the stuff with Catelyn. The CGI on the wolf was a bit silly though.

I'm also feeling so bad for Sansa but I'm also proud of her for doing the best she can to survive Joffrey. BTW any episode that includes someone slapping the crap out of that punk is AWESOME!

It's interesting, last season Ned was worried that Robert would kill Jamie and Cersei's kids if he found out about them and here Cersei (Joffrey?) are killing all of Robert's bastards. That was a rough montage.

I'm book spoiler free (only read the first) so I'm trying so hard to be good.

I totally loved, though, that Littlefinger tried to pull his, "I'm going to play my political intrigue games and doublespeak to twist things to my favor." and Sersei's response was, "I have men with knives who kill people at my slightest whim so go fuck yourself."

I loved that scene. It's like really Littlefinger, sometimes a hammer works just as well. She really doesn't need you. I bet he's regretting backing this horse instead of Ned now.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Does anyone else want to shout "GAME! OF! THRONES!" like it was the opening of Wheel of Fortune? Just me?

Well NOW I want to. Hee..

Hee.

Mormont was pissed off because Jon was not hiding his utter disgust and contempt for Craster and his treatment of his daughter-wives. Poker face, dude.

oh, okay. I think Jon looked his generally emo-y self, heh. I don't know if I think he's a bad actor but he hasn't really done much except be emo-y.

I liked the Littlefinger/Cersei scene as well. 'Poor' Cersei, people keep underestimating her. And yeah, duh to Littlefinger for his not-so-subtle threats - he forgot that men like him have to build power by knowledge because some people like Cersei have direct power (kinda . . . as soon as Joffrey comes fully into his own she'll only have what he gives her.)

Also, I hope we see Rakharo again this season!

Last edited by ulkis on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Oh I love Kit Harrington, I actually think he underplays book Jon's whiney bitchness, making him more likable and rootable. Also was that whole thing wholly invented, cause I don't remember Jon getting shirty about Craster in a super obvious way that inspired such a confrontation with Mormont.

Unsurprisingly I loved everything to do with Davos, the actor they cast is perfect, communicating the loyalty and the frustration of being one of Stannis' men. I also liked that he/Melisandre were the *focus* of the Dragonstone scenes, kind of says it all about Stannis, that he's only the third most important part of his own plot. I'm liking what Dillane is doing with Stannis even if it's not strictly how I pictured him in the books, it's playing a little more petulant and bitchy, Stannis is all about the letter of the rule rather than the spirit.

I thought Gillen was weird, his whole take on Peter seemed different than last year, down to the way he talks. Wasn't really bad, or good, but more of a Huh?

Only complaint: Needed more Gendry/Arya.

I'm sort of confused how the series will progress moving forward, there is so much overlapping of time lines and I thought they said not to think of it as one book=one season so I'm really excited to see how it goes this year.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Oh I love Kit Harrington, I actually think he underplays book Jon's whiney bitchness, making him more likable and rootable. Also was that whole thing wholly invented, cause I don't remember Jon getting shirty about Craster in a super obvious way that inspired such a confrontation with Mormont.

When I say emo-y I don't mean whiny bitchiness (although I don't really think Jon is that whiny in the books) . . . (show) Jon's emo is more making a sadface all the time. That whole thing was invented. I mean, he was bothered by Craster but he and Mormont had a mild conversation about it, no huge confrontations.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:51 pm

wenchsenior wrote:Shallow note: I have no idea what Ian Glen has been doing during the last couple of years to suddenly become EPIC HOT, when before he was always just sort of ok for most of his career, but I want that secret.
Ha -- he may be one of those dudes who looks better aged 50 with scruff. (See also Hugh Laurie.)
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:54 pm

I think amping up the cranky value of the Jon/Mormont conversation served to clearly get across in three seconds what slowly becomes clear over 23905 pages of book: Get your shit together, you're next in line, kid. It's kind of like how in the book you had to read between the lines to know that Renly and whatshisface were banging, but in the show they just had nekkid bath time. And if it makes time for scenes like the Littlefinger/Cersei one, I'm all for it.

Could still use moar Tyrion, obviously. And Sansa. I love Sophie Turner's portrayal.
Spoiler:

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

this part of an EW interview with the producers cracked me up:

You guys often work separately overseeing different units. When you see each others’ footage, was there ever a time when one of you said, “No! Not like that!”

Benioff: Once, in season one, you see Maester Aemon chopping meat.

Weiss: Why can’t a blind guy chop meat?

Benioff: He can definitely. I just think: Wouldn’t you probably have your steward do it? I look at the dailies and I called him, ‘Why is this blind 100-year-old man chopping meat?’”

Weiss: The actor doing the chopping, Peter Vaughan, he’s actually legally blind. So whatever he was doing, he’s a blind person doing it. I stand behind that.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:24 pm

blixie wrote:I thought Gillen was weird, his whole take on Peter seemed different than last year, down to the way he talks. Wasn't really bad, or good, but more of a Huh?

Oh, I'm glad it wasn't only me! I spent the whole scene wondering what happened to his voice. He really sounded different, which threw me a bit.

Apart from that, loved it! I just finished watching it so my thoughts are not particularly coherent, just that I love Rob Stark forever, and agree with Wenchsenior about Iain Glen. Some men just need a bit of scruff.

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:08 am

Oh my stars--Robb Stark! *fans self* Wow. And the actor who plays him is great, handling all those complex emotions so believably. But I am on the edge of my seat--not having read the books--fretting over him. He's leading a war, for heaven's sake. Too much danger!

So great to have this show back!

Also, I want my own dragon and my own direwolf. Thanks.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 am

So Fancy Book Learners, I know the first of the three victories being referred to is Whispering Wood and I assume the second is the follow up at Riverrun. What is the third?

Those dragons are kind of cute.

I'll overlook the CGI on the Dire Wolves because it's got my buddies to stop bitching about them not being exact. I've also been referring to the dog as a Dire Pomeranian.

I like how NCW played his scene, trying to be all flip but really not being able to keep it together with the wolf present.

Joffrey is totally in Caligula/Nero mold here.

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:40 am

wenchsenior wrote:Shallow note: I have no idea what Ian Glen has been doing during the last couple of years to suddenly become EPIC HOT, when before he was always just sort of ok for most of his career, but I want that secret.
Ah you mean Sir Richard CarLISLE. I prefer him here in the desert all bronzed and scruffy.

For book readers, I have a question
Spoiler:

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:13 pm

BreezyK wrote:
Ah you mean Sir Richard CarLISLE. I prefer him here in the desert all bronzed and scruffy.

For book readers, I have a question
Spoiler:

I thought Glen was pretty fine in Downton Abbey, as well, even if he was kind of a jerk. But MUCH better scruffy. Of course, I love book-Jorah, too, so that might play into it.

Re question:
Spoiler:

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 pm

The Dude wrote:I'll overlook the CGI on the Dire Wolves because it's got my buddies to stop bitching about them not being exact. I've also been referring to the dog as a Dire Pomeranian.
Is "dire" a Dungeons & Dragons thing? I've been playing the videogame Neverwinter Nights 2, which I understand is based on the D&D universe, and they say stuff sometimes that I also see in the GRRM universe. There are dire boars and dire bears and whatever in this game. Just curious; I think I've heard it elsewhere in fantasy too. They also talk about "grey cloaks" meaning a force of people who wear that color cloak, and they used "sellsword," and I think there were a couple other ones.

Me, watching Season 1 with my friend (who's unfamiliar with the book): "That guy [Mormont, at the Wall] is Jorah's father." "Who's Jorah again?" "Mary's fiance." "Oh yeah."
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Assuming it's not an elaborate Wikipedia joke, direwolves actually existed.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Also, I just remembered they have Dire Chinchillas in The Sims Medieval. Heh.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Unlucky Bear wrote:Does anyone else want to shout "GAME! OF! THRONES!" like it was the opening of Wheel of Fortune? Just me?

Super excited about the new season. I feel like tonight was just a lot of exposition, but I really enjoyed it. Loving Melisandre (and I really hope someone addresses her by name so I can finally know how that's pronounced).
For some idiotic reason, I always add an extra vowel to her name because I'm not sure how to pronounce the dre, so I'll think Melisandre-der or Melisander-dre. I'm special.

ulkis wrote:
I liked the Littlefinger/Cersei scene as well. 'Poor' Cersei, people keep underestimating her. And yeah, duh to Littlefinger for his not-so-subtle threats - he forgot that men like him have to build power by knowledge because some people like Cersei have direct power (kinda . . . as soon as Joffrey comes fully into his own she'll only have what he gives her.)
I think people keep overestimating her. She was supposed to control Joffrey, but she's failing at that pretty spectacularly. Littlefinger was wrong to challenge Cersei, but even as she's commenting on how ambitious he's been, she failed to realize how dangerous that ambition has made him. She might not need him, but he's far more resourceful than she is.

That said, I think Lena Headey did a bang up job this episode. I thought Cersei was inconsistent last season, sometimes good but often flat, but Headey did a great job.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 pm

I dunno . . . the thing is I don't think anyone ever underestimated Cersei because she's inept, but because she's a woman. I think they would have underestimated her for that even if she did turn out to be clever.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:51 am

I think that's certainly what *Cersei* thinks, but she also thinks she's the cleverest person in the room when she's...not, so I don't feel too bad for her.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 am

So glad this show is back.

I never really understand Mother of the Crazy Child King characters, especially when they've been scheming to get their kid on the throne. I mean, Cersei pretty much deliberately raised a psychopath with delusions of grandeur and now she seems surprised that he behaves like one. Oh, Cersei, this is always what happens.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

It got me reading about Nero and Agripinna again.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  midnight radio Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm

xyzzy wrote:So glad this show is back.

I never really understand Mother of the Crazy Child King characters, especially when they've been scheming to get their kid on the throne. I mean, Cersei pretty much deliberately raised a psychopath with delusions of grandeur and now she seems surprised that he behaves like one. Oh, Cersei, this is always what happens.

Yeah, Cersei herself has misguided ideas about what "strength" is in a sovereign, and she passed that on to Joffrey big time.

midnight radio

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 am

So are we in for one incest storyline per episode?

Tyrion as usual getting the best scene.
"Are you questioning my honor?!"
"No. I'm denying its existence."

I think all the schemers like Littlefinger, the Spider and Janos Slynt received a rude awakening from the new management. I'm sure they'll be missing Robert's good timing where they could play their games.

Tyrion sold himself short when he implied he had no honor.

It's freaky how much Gendry looks like Anders from BSG.

Tonight was the night I've joined the Yoren is awesome sauce club.

The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:39 am

Yoren IS really awesome.

Loved this whole ep, but esp the Gendry/Arya-followed-by-Yoren-being-badass scene. The kid playing Gendry has really grown on me.

ETA: Salladan was hilarious...I always forget about him but I love the casting. I also liked that they have one of Davos' sons being a true believer; I don't remember that from the books.

Spoiler:

Oh, and Jaqen H'ghar!!! I AM VERY EXCITED!

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 23  Next