View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Commercials

Post  The Dude on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks, I thought was imagining that.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Oh, that drives me crazy, too! I don't know if the new transparent Amex cards have raised numbers or not, but if they do, I can just imagine trying to run the raised side through the slider and that adds *another* layer of frustration over that shot.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:15 pm

I was expecting it to be some kind of comedy bit where Tina is doing something else wrong.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:36 am

I thought Super Creepy Rob Lowe and Rob Lowe were the same guy.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 pm

This is such a minor pet peeve but since the commercial is on Hulu and thus I end up seeing it four or five times every time I watch something - the Quaker Oates commercial where they say "Oh there's an energy crisis all right - a human energy crisis." Right after they say "A human energy crisis" they show a puppy looking tired. Why there? A puppy is not a human. The rest of the commercial is full of tired looking humans. It just bugs.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:05 pm

Commercials on Hulu in general are just the worst. From repetition and also because a lot of them are just some of the worst examples of the medium that then get repeated during every break compounding their awfulness.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  izzypop on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:42 pm

vwlphb wrote:The Tina Fey "What's your 20?" American Express commercials drive me nuts because they always run the credit card backwards. I get that they want to keep the "american express" visible, but with transparent cards it's very clear they're running the side without the magstrip.

Psst - not just AmEx.  Watch for that kind of error in any other credit card commercial...

izzypop

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Weird Al at Radio Shack singing a modified "Toyland"

Interesting choice of music. From wiki's synopsis of the 1903 libretto:
Orphans Alan and Jane are the wards of their wicked Uncle Barnaby, who wants to steal their inheritance. He arranges with two sailors, Gonzorgo and Roderigo, for them to be shipwrecked and lost at sea, but they are rescued by gypsies and returned to Contrary Mary's garden. Contrary Mary, the eldest daughter of the Widow Piper, believing her beloved Alan is dead, has run away with her brother, Tom-Tom, rather than agree to marry Barnaby. After a second attempt on their lives, Alan and Jane are abandoned in the Forest of No Return. In the Spider's Den, they are protected by the Moth Queen. Old Mother Hubbard's shoe is threatened with foreclosure by Barnaby.

Alan and Jane arrive in Toyland, where they find Contrary Mary and Tom-Tom and seek protection from the Master Toymaker, an evil genius who plots with Barnaby to create toys that kill and maim. The demonically possessed dolls turn on the Toymaker, killing him, and Barnaby uses the information to have Alan sentenced to death.
Weird Al does look like he could sell you demonically possessed quadricopters.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:22 pm

particle_person wrote:Weird Al at Radio Shack singing a modified "Toyland"
Is that Shauna Malwae-Tweep?

Every year I'm surprised by Radio Shack's continued existence. I'll be sad when they finally go, because I have a ton of old household appliances and they're the only ones who ever seem to have the cords and crap that I need to allow them to continue running.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Gillian wrote:Every year I'm surprised by Radio Shack's continued existence.  I'll be sad when they finally go, because I have a ton of old household appliances and they're the only ones who ever seem to have the cords and crap that I need to allow them to continue running.
Same here. There's one right near where I work, and I'm always going there for an iPhone cord or a flash drive or something, and every time I go there's a suspenseful moment before I round the corner where I wonder if it still exists.

If they closed I think my best run-out-at-lunch option for that stuff would be Newbury Comics, and I'd probably end up with a flash drive with a pot leaf or Heisenberg's face or a sock monkey on it. For $50.

(Oh, I guess I could go to Staples actually. Fine.)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 am

I've been an Apple girl since the late '80s, I have an iPhone and I don't ever plan to get anything besides an iPhone. But -- I LOVE the current Android ad campaign. I love the tagline: "Be together. Not the same" -- I think it is legitimately beautiful even though it's a slogan for a commercial to sell cell phones. I love the little Android robot guy (or is he an alien? Whatever) peeking in to give a peace sign at the end. I loved the "whoomp, there it is" one with everybody in the camper and then the toll guy gets in and goes with them. I DON'T KNOW WHY, BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH. It just makes me happy.

And then I guess they wanted to CEMENT MY LOYALTY FOREVER, because now they've got this one, which includes what Cute Overload used to refer to as Interspecies Snorgling. (Was this their Super Bowl ad?) I MEAN, COME ON.

A+ commercialing, Google.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:04 am

I LOVE THAT ONE! Yes, also Robin Hood is among Disney's finest.
--
In other news, Radio Shack is no more. They filed for bankruptcy. Not even Weird Al and the drones could save them. I am sad.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 am

Normally I hate the You're So Money Supermarket ads but this one makes me laugh every time.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Fri May 15, 2015 4:59 pm

So there is an ad for a new Alzheimer treatment that I always hear wrong. It is a woman saying, of her afflicted spouse, "I am his guardian." The first time I wasn't paying attention and I heard "I am Asgardian" and I thought it was the oddest product placement for Marvel and Thor.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:32 am

I hate the Matthew McConaughey commercials for whatever car he is selling. Chrysler? Seriously, I know he's supposed to be sexy and alluring but there is something uncanny valley about it.

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:41 am

Why is George Clooney shilling Nescafe?!?!??!

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:50 am

I know! My jaw dropped when I first saw that ad because I have no idea why Cloiney would ever have himself prominently featured in a commercial. A voiceover, I get, but I mean he's palling around with DeVito in the entire ad!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:37 pm

The thing I understand least about this is that he's shilling for a company owned by the vile, vile Nestle corporation.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:03 pm

The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Back to top