Parenthood

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Parenthood

Post  Kiran on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 pm

I think that Mark and Sarah are totally going to break up if only because someone is going to give Jason Ritter a show that goes beyond pilot eventually. Hell, Jason Katims himself tried to. And he deserves it. Hes awesome. But I think the show realizes that. And yes I agree. If they didn't fear they were getting cancelled, they would have broken them up.

This works for me too. I can see Sarah putting aside her feelings because she loves him, and she doesn't think the differences matter, I think shes the type of person who would need the wake up call of someone like Ray Romano who forces her to realize how different they are.

Also what with this and Men of a Certain Age, Ray Romano is surprisingly excellent at drama.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:05 pm

I so do not agree with Adam & Kristina's decision to lie to Haddie so that she'll go back to school. Feel like it would've been stronger to tell her what's really going on, but also find a way for her to be OK with going back to school despite it.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 pm

I didn't agree with it but I found it VERY realistic. I've had friends (and my own father) who have had that kind of thing withheld for them due to a misguided sense of not worrying the child or protecting them.

This entire storyline has been very well done I think. In fact the whole season has been truly fantastic.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Oh, brutal episode. I saw last week's preview so the "mature themes" warning to me was a spoiler that the episode was heading straight for Planned Parenthood. I was surprised it happened so fast. I know this is just a TV show but it really struck me here that two kids embarked upon really heavy emotional shit with absolutely no help or support from their parents. (I'm pro-choice but the thought of my kid going through an abortion alone...man.)

Julia has always been my least favorite on this show but her storyline this year has been a bit better -- though I want to shake her because Victor is clearly testing her to see if she'll do exactly what she's doing and reject him.

Sarah: I liked you with Hank earlier this season but this back and forth crap is too much. Please pull a Kelly Taylor for awhile, OK?
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Re: the Victor story, can we also discuss how realistically awful Sydney is? I can see her in ten years and she is going to grow up to be an overachieving but just dreadful person.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:04 am

So the Kristina running for mayor thing is so out of la-la land that I can't really get behind it at all.  I do like what they're doing with Crosby and the baby, though I hafta say the thing they did in the restaurant in the previous episode was insane.  Every parent I know who takes an infant out for dinner basically plans to spend half the outing in the car once the baby starts to fuss.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  shamoogity on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:58 am

Is anyone still watching this? I'm really mystified by how they've been writing Joel this season--I feel like the only time I understood his actions is when he was upset that Julia embarrassed him at work. Otherwise, he just seems very out of character from the extremely understanding husband we've seen in previous seasons. I guess it's realistic in that marriages often end with one party not fully understanding why, but as a viewer I feel like I need more insight into why he's suddenly acting this way. Especially when another parent kissed him back in season one and Julia forgave him really quickly.

They also seem unsure about what to do with a lot of the characters this season (Sarah, Drew, Crosby). I'm guessing this will be the last season and it will end with Zeke and Camille selling the house? That seems like a fitting end at least--it's nice to see Zeke finally acknowledging everything Camille has sacrificed for him.

shamoogity

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:06 am

I am having the same reaction to Joel - I don't understand what has made him so unwilling to even try. And certain things, like his resentment at Julia for quitting her job, seemed to come out of left field. Both actors are nailing it out of the park but I wish we saw some more groundwork.

A commenter on Sepinwall's blog suggested that Zeke and Camille would sell or lease their house to Adam and Kristina's new school. I totally buy it.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:37 pm

I was waiting for Julia to stop being sad and confused about Joel and become angry at him because of the opaqueness. I felt like that'd be a little more realistic to have hostilities over not understanding where he is. The actors are definitely handling it well but the storyline does lack clarity. I guess reconcilable differences can lack clarity.

That said, I wish Roy from the Office hadn't turned into a drunken lech. I'd like to have seen him stick around.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:55 pm

I actually find Joel's actions totally believable. That may have something to do with me being a married man. (Unsure of the gender or marital status of previous posters!)

At least in my marriage (which is mostly happy, but we have our bumps like any other married couple who tells the truth!), sometimes its not a single thing or reaction to a particular item, but just the built up feelings that were suppressed. And sometimes it takes a LONG time to even realize what is the problem. So I buy Joel pissed, but maybe he himself not being able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is.

As a TV couple, I'm rooting for them. As a accurate portrayal of all facets of parenthood, I think there are a TON of relateable stories to be told dealing with divorced parents who are both present (which is something that has been missing from this show). I don't think they'll have the balls to actually divorce them, but I'd watch.

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Binky wrote:I was waiting for Julia to stop being sad and confused about Joel and become angry at him because of the opaqueness. I felt like that'd be a little more realistic to have hostilities over not understanding where he is. The actors are definitely handling it well but the storyline does lack clarity. I guess reconcilable differences can lack clarity.

That said, I wish Roy from the Office hadn't turned into a drunken lech. I'd like to have seen him stick around.  

I think you've put your finger on it for me - it's not that I don't find Joel's lack of communication believable, per se, but I wanted to see Julia being angry about it. That might be coming later though; I don't find it unrealistic that she's in guilt/mitigation mode, but I do find it frustrating.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 pm

I'd find it more believable if Joel was mad and not ready/able to talk about it and making everyone miserable in the house, then after months of this, finally reluctantly going to couples counseling.  But that lacks an appropriate amount of TV bombast.  Him moving out of the house without making an honest attempt to examine what's really going on does seem out of character for him.  To me, if you have kids, leaving the home (even if you're not heading straight to divorce) is the nuclear option.

The Braverman Academy for Difficult Children with a Heart of Gold is from the same well as Kristina Runs for Mayor of a Huge City with No Experience.  I miss reality sometimes.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah, when she said, "How hard can it be?" I actually rolled my eyes and was like, "Oh, NO."

re: Joel, I actually thought last season that I couldn't believe he was putting up with Julia. She was so awful about the kid they adopted for pretty much the entire season. The boy was having trouble adjusting and it required patience and work, so instead she just threw up her hands and was like, "I don't want to keep him. I probably don't love him." I really felt like that was the beginning of Joel being disillusioned with Julia, and I'm surprised they haven't called back to that more. I LOVE Joel and I'm sad they're trying to make Julia the victim in all this, because I really do think that more often than not, she has been awful and he's been patient and so he's allowed to be Over It, if only they'd get him there more eloquently. Or elegantly.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Cricifictorious is going to record at the Luncheonette for webisodes debuting on Thursday.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:05 pm

That is amazing.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 pm

I really felt like that was the beginning of Joel being disillusioned with Julia, and I'm surprised they haven't called back to that more. I LOVE Joel and I'm sad they're trying to make Julia the victim in all this, because I really do think that more often than not, she has been awful and he's been patient and so he's allowed to be Over It, if only they'd get him there more eloquently. Or elegantly.

Yes. This, exactly. I thought so many times last season "That's it, he's finally going to realise that he's super unhappy with the woman he married," so I'm surprised they're not referencing those issues more.

Still, I hope he sticks around, I've always loved Joel.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:28 am

Oh for the love of -- Julia, stay out of his HOUSE, for God's sake.

I found myself completely tuning out of any scene involving Kristina's magical charter school. Meh.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Not to be super pedantic, but as a head of school/president/principal/director, isn't Kristina a mandated reporter? And shouldn't that mandated reporting include "hey, one of my smart but clearly emotionally disturbed students has been left home alone by her parents for so long that she is now seeking out alternative families"??? That seems like a big deal!

Also, I know Amber's pregnant and a little down on her luck, but in every scene it looked like she hadn't showered in weeks!

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 am

Ugh, in this episode Kristina needed to set strong harsh boundaries on Max for sexually harassing his friend, not congratulate him for being so brave for sexually harassing his friend. Yeeeeeeeeeesh.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:59 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:Ugh, in this episode Kristina needed to set strong harsh boundaries on Max for sexually harassing his friend, not congratulate him for being so brave for sexually harassing his friend.  Yeeeeeeeeeesh.  

That annoyed me too. And the poor girl was just trying to fend him off and ended up with her headmaster glaring at her like she is The Enemy. Kristina, I love you, but you are not professionally running that school.

Anyway, combined with Julia and Joel's "we're not angry at you for bullying that girl" speech to Sidney, I'm not super impressed with Braverman parenting this season.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:53 pm

I actually do enjoy this show despite how many times I want to yell at the TV when I watch it.

Joel & Julia: There's a place where people go to talk through things that are hard without having to do it in front of the kids and without letting it fester, and it is called the couples counselor's office. I wish TV would normalize therapy, instead of it being only a last resort, or that thing one character storms out of.

I don't get how Zeek could have a major heart issue and nearly die, then get a stent placed and be going about his normal business, tiring easily but still ambulatory. From the health crises we've had in our own family, well...I expected to see him released from the hospital with an oxygen tank and about a million pills and be basically tethered to his chair.

Finale tomorrow...
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:07 am

Amber married JASON STREET?!!!

Also: goddamnit, Parenthood. I sobbed through the last sequence. It was like Band of Brothers meets Six Feet Under.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:08 am

I gave up on this show last season but tuned into the finale and even I got a little teary at that last montage.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:16 pm

emrie wrote:Amber married JASON STREET?!!!

That's what I said!!

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top