Publishing Scandals

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  big chicken on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 pm

If you hadn't, I'd have never found out why the names of the Girl Scout cookies seems to switch every few years. I had no idea they were region specific. I just assumed they kept getting sued and having to change the name of their product.

This year, instead of the normal lemon cream cookies I generally get, I've got a box of Savannah Smiles. And it's been Samoas for the past few years but I wish someone would sell Carmel DeLites. I like those a little bit better.

big chicken

Posts : 683
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm usually not a big fan of thread derailment, but I think that it's justified in this case.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Posts : 1040
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Jude on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:29 pm

It's a lot more appetizing, that's for sure.

Jude

Posts : 432
Join date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 pm

On another note, Christopher Priest complains about the Clarke Award Nominees, then gets made fun of! Very entertaining.

Red Wolf

Posts : 710
Join date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  RiverThames on Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 pm

Rule one of the Internet, at least for SF/F writers, should be "do not get in John Scalzi's line of fire".

That said, if certain things with the Hugo award nominations next week do not go correctly, I will start some shit.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Posts : 857
Join date : 2011-10-21
Age : 46
Location : Austin, TX

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  katesti on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Poubelle wrote:If I could sneak back to the EW cover: this book only got the subscription cover. The actual newsstand one will be Katniss/the movie that's actually popular right now. HAH.

Except I'm a subscriber, so this is TERRIBLE NEWS. I'm going to have to explain this whole thing to my husband now, aren't I?

katesti

Posts : 559
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  PrincessCleo on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:16 pm

QueenSix wrote:I am so glad this isn't TWoP or I'd probably be banned for mentioning cookies in the first place and derailing the thread!

BANNEooh, Tagalongs?

Re: Christopher Priest: That delighted me in my SOUL. Like I felt kind of vicariously awful and embarrassed at first, and then it went so over the top that it became joyous. HAVE WE LIVED AND FOUGHT IN VAIN?
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Posts : 452
Join date : 2011-10-21
Age : 40

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Gilraen on Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Okay, my dad asked me about 50SoG today - apparently he read about it in the New York Times and the article had all sorts of theories about what it represented about women in the modern day. This whole thing is out of control. (And I tried to explain the extremely effective PR, which hopefully sunk in.)

Gilraen

Posts : 278
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  RiverThames on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm

RiverThames wrote:Rule one of the Internet, at least for SF/F writers, should be "do not get in John Scalzi's line of fire".

That said, if certain things with the Hugo award nominations next week do not go correctly, I will start some shit.

Hugo Nominations are out. No shit needs to be started. At least on my end of things.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Posts : 857
Join date : 2011-10-21
Age : 46
Location : Austin, TX

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Raksha on Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:22 pm

RiverThames wrote:
RiverThames wrote:Rule one of the Internet, at least for SF/F writers, should be "do not get in John Scalzi's line of fire".

That said, if certain things with the Hugo award nominations next week do not go correctly, I will start some shit.

Hugo Nominations are out. No shit needs to be started. At least on my end of things.

Well, Cat Valente didn't get nominated for Deathless or The Folded World, so I'm going to riot. I'm exhausted and in a lot of pain, so it'll be a very short, mild riot, but still.

Other than that, I'm cool with the list.
Raksha
Raksha

Posts : 963
Join date : 2011-10-22
Age : 37
Location : 137

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  swsa on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Fifty Shades fancasting! I can say quite honestly, this is the only part of this mess I enjoy.

Ian Somerhalder would be down with playing Christian Grey.

Oh man, this is going to be hilarious. I want to see what Disney girls throw their hat into the ring for Bellastasia.
swsa
swsa

Posts : 858
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  ActonBell on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 pm

I think I read something about Kellan Lutz wanting to play Christian Grey as well? It's all very hilarious.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Posts : 682
Join date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Poubelle on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Well, what other film would they be tackling?
Poubelle
Poubelle

Posts : 691
Join date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:10 pm

swsa wrote:Fifty Shades fancasting! I can say quite honestly, this is the only part of this mess I enjoy.

Ian Somerhalder would be down with playing Christian Grey.

Oh man, this is going to be hilarious. I want to see what Disney girls throw their hat into the ring for Bellastasia.

I already find him inexplicably icky - this made me do a full body shudder.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Posts : 671
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Jude on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:42 pm

Maybe he can whip her with his eyebrows.

Jude

Posts : 432
Join date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:56 pm

Putli Bai wrote:
swsa wrote:Fifty Shades fancasting! I can say quite honestly, this is the only part of this mess I enjoy.

Ian Somerhalder would be down with playing Christian Grey.

Oh man, this is going to be hilarious. I want to see what Disney girls throw their hat into the ring for Bellastasia.

I already find him inexplicably icky - this made me do a full body shudder.

Is it the perma-smirk? That's what gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Posts : 885
Join date : 2011-10-21
Location : fauxburbia, MA

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Jude on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:31 pm

I've come across some pretty hilarious organized mocking of the 50 Shades saga in my travels lately, so I thought I'd share:

50 Shades of Suck on Twitter

50 Shades of Suck on Tumblr






Jude

Posts : 432
Join date : 2011-10-31

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  particle_person on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:08 am

A heads-up:
The Fifty Shades discussion is going on over in Current Reads right now too, so my recommendation to people is to discuss the book over there henceforth (unless something new that's publishing-related pops up). I'm starting to see signs that people are getting confused, so we may as well try to consolidate the discussion in one place.

ETA: And now it has its own thread.

_________________
"Good news, Katniss, I think we've almost got him convinced you're not a mutt!" — Plutarch, attempting to cheer Katniss up about Peeta's condition.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Posts : 1973
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  harvey the penguin on Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Shit is going DOWN in the classical music blogging world!

To summarize: the Metropolitan Opera has just finished a new Ring cycle, which has pretty much been critically panned across the board. A blogger on WQXR's website posted a blog that pretty much repeated what other reviewers have said. Peter Gelb, the general manger of the Met, asked WQXR to take the story down, which, for some reason, they actually did. The Times found out what happened, and now people are losing their minds. And now WQXR is asking audience members to submit their own reviews of the Ring--no word on whether negative reviews will be allowed to go through.

This is me right now.
harvey the penguin
harvey the penguin

Posts : 123
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Eris Rising on Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 pm

harvey the penguin wrote:Shit is going DOWN in the classical music blogging world!

To summarize: the Metropolitan Opera has just finished a new Ring cycle, which has pretty much been critically panned across the board. A blogger on WQXR's website posted a blog that pretty much repeated what other reviewers have said. Peter Gelb, the general manger of the Met, asked WQXR to take the story down, which, for some reason, they actually did. The Times found out what happened, and now people are losing their minds. And now WQXR is asking audience members to submit their own reviews of the Ring--no word on whether negative reviews will be allowed to go through.

This is me right now.

DUDE. I love it when high art types throw down with each other! It's like Harry Potter shipping/fanfic wars for rich people!
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Posts : 1040
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Jasmine on Thu May 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Okay, so Deadspin had this big reveal on Sarah Phillips from ESPN (who I had never heard of, she apparently wrote gambling columns/blog posts) and how she wasn't who she said she was and has been scamming money from other people, etc. And yeah, that's all bad, but sports media people were all "OH MY GOD I can't believe this! What a crazy story!" about it all -- dude, how long have you people been on the internet? Apparently none of them read about msscribe.

Jasmine

Posts : 290
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu May 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Jasmine wrote:Okay, so Deadspin had this big reveal on Sarah Phillips from ESPN (who I had never heard of, she apparently wrote gambling columns/blog posts) and how she wasn't who she said she was and has been scamming money from other people, etc. And yeah, that's all bad, but sports media people were all "OH MY GOD I can't believe this! What a crazy story!" about it all -- dude, how long have you people been on the internet? Apparently none of them read about msscribe.

The amount of credulity the general public still has about dealings on the internet makes me want to start giving seminars.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Posts : 885
Join date : 2011-10-21
Location : fauxburbia, MA

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  pamchenko on Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 pm

I have friends who are sports writers and they will not shut up about "Sarah Philipps" on Twitter and how scandalous and disappointing it is. Oh, I'm sorry, had you not realized that you got yourself into a business that produces nothing and operates solely to make other people big money? I mean, seriously, that is why the sports industry exists (and I say this as a sports fan and a lifelong athlete). Not that I'm excusing fraud, but if it bothers you that much that people will do anything in the pursuit of promotion and audience, that is not something you should be involved in.

pamchenko

Posts : 32
Join date : 2012-02-01

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Thu May 03, 2012 6:01 pm

pamchenko wrote:I have friends who are sports writers and they will not shut up about "Sarah Philipps" on Twitter and how scandalous and disappointing it is. Oh, I'm sorry, had you not realized that you got yourself into a business that produces nothing and operates solely to make other people big money? I mean, seriously, that is why the sports industry exists (and I say this as a sports fan and a lifelong athlete). Not that I'm excusing fraud, but if it bothers you that much that people will do anything in the pursuit of promotion and audience, that is not something you should be involved in.

I don't know--I'm catching up on everything that's come out since the first article was published yesterday, and it sounds less like she was a fraud and more like she's a full-on grifter. Faking your way into a job is one thing; using that job to scam people out of thousands of dollars is another.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Posts : 885
Join date : 2011-10-21
Location : fauxburbia, MA

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Jasmine on Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 pm

No, I mean, what she ("she" I guess, it looks like a lot of it was her friend posing as her) did was terrible, but the amount of shock that I see that this sort of thing could happen seems so incredibly naive. It feels like fandom was like 10 years ahead of everyone on the internet, those scandals happened so long ago they're legendary. Who the hell are these dudes who are sending a stranger money (thousands of dollars!) and giving over passwords?

Jasmine

Posts : 290
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 9 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum