Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing Scandals

+96
Fraoch
mandalaya
eventide82
inversed
jstilwe
Kiran
ulkis
Coneycat
Lily Rose
Carrie Ann
Jamie
allochthonous
draco vulgaris
VodouDoll
epudom
curryalley
Shadowlass
BreezyK
bosoxgirl
Heather
Decca
Wildog27
woolhat
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
Bad Username
GirlDrinkDrunk
pamchenko
harvey the penguin
katesti
Red Wolf
Tabby
leone
vwlphb
Esme
UmaOprah
blixie
Binky
Eris Rising
Jessica
Lady V
Morning Angel
Putli Bai
sagitare
Brainchild
Pop'n'Fresh
Snarryfan
Gilraen
oxymoron
Escape
MtOlivePickles
VictorLaszlo
laddical
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
TiffanyNichelle
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Cutebutpsycho
Swarley
swsa
punzy
xyzzy
Jude
boutros boutros kitty
pinguerin
puddingcup
Raksha
Luthien
MLIS
Instant Monkeys
mialoubug
biakbiak
Crackie
Auroura76
Rhilin
bbridges
bookworm
year of the cat
Daisy Steiner
Jasmine
DarkSpork
Poubelle
big chicken
Miss Moneypenny
QueenSix
PrincessCleo
Cynara
The Glen
naughty zoot
Paris, Texas
caerbannog
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
Genevieve
RiverThames
100 posters

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 10 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  biakbiak Thu May 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Who the hell are these dudes who are sending a stranger money (thousands of dollars!) and giving over passwords?

I can sort of understand the 19 year old why who, still totally naive, gave administrator rights to them because they had given him money and she had the legitimacy of being on ESPN Playbook at that point. But yeah, people who so easily part with their money to people and things that they legitimately don't know astounds me.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

The 19 year old I get, but if you read some of the later Deadspin posts, he was not the only one. Grown men did this! The nice thing is to know that people are stupid all over the place, I guess.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Thu May 03, 2012 10:20 pm

I think the blame goes on the person who committed fraud, not on her victims.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Someone a long while back--it might have even been Lily Rose?--linked to an article about how people think you're supposed to log into Facebook by googling "Facebook" and getting to it that way. And that this is how they get to a lot of sites. Which is to say, there's a lot of us who understand how the interwebs work (and, more to the point, how people ON the interwebs work), but... there's a lot of people who don't. Really, really don't.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri May 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Yup. I'll never forget going into a colleague's office and telling her a URL to go to, and her browser, which was Internet Explorer of course, was absolutely JAM-PACKED with crap. Sidebars, widgets, bookmarks, all kinds of crap. And she couldn't even find the URL bar, and she did not know how to type in a URL or what a URL was. She typed the URL I gave her into the Bing search bar at the top of her screen. I was like "...But I gave you the URL. You don't have to search for it!" And she's not old or a Luddite or anything; she's in her 50s but she's reasonably tech-savvy, and works with a lot of institution-wide online applications paying bills and other tricky stuff. I have since come to realize that a lot of people do this.

But in a way it's understandable -- I mean, I barely even see it if some "Windows has a virus!" or "You have a Facebook message!" thing pops up on my screen, but if you're not used to the internets, how would you know which are real and which are fake? Facebook does pop up a little thing on the screen when I have a new message, and I do get popups occasionally from the system telling me to install this or that. I would never see a Chihuahua and think it was a cat, but you're not born knowing the difference, and they don't really look ALL that different when you think about it.

Anyway. This Sarah Phillips thing is nuts.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri May 04, 2012 4:58 pm

There's a new spam going around that I've gotten in my work email a few times about your Amazon package being cancelled. And like, that's a thing that I can see people EASILY falling for.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri May 04, 2012 6:15 pm

Someone a long while back--it might have even been Lily Rose?--linked to an article about how people think you're supposed to log into Facebook by googling "Facebook" and getting to it that way. And that this is how they get to a lot of sites. Which is to say, there's a lot of us who understand how the interwebs work (and, more to the point, how people ON the interwebs work), but... there's a lot of people who don't. Really, really don't.

This is so funny because I read your post and I was thinking WHO WOULD DO THAT??? I mean that is absolutely insane. Cut to just now when I mentioned to my assistant about something someone had posted on Facebook, I was standing by her desk and what does she do? Types Facebook into google and links to it that way! This is a fairly savvy 25 year old who spends tons of time on the internet and that was how she always does it! In her somewhat defense she does know what a url is but she thought you still had to type http://www. in front of everything so that her way was somewhat quicker. Her mind was blown when we told her you didn't have to do that.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  GirlDrinkDrunk Sat May 12, 2012 11:01 am

Wow, last time I posted on a Snarkfest forum was v3.0...

Topic: Ven Findlay, a Scottish poet, recently got a collection published by a small poetry press in Ireland, which was also included in the Poetry Library of the Southbank Centre (a major government-funded contemporary poetry collection in the UK). Okay, except for the part where she lifted at least 9 of the poems from different fandom authors, both personal and fandom-inspired (one is a Snape/Harry poem).

So far (this seems to have just started late yesterday/early morning today), the publishers and several online sellers have agreed to pull it. Google books still has a limited preview, and seems to be how the plagiarism was initially found. One of the authors stolen from is seeing if the publishers will email a full copy to her. The publishers are apparently also debating whether to republish it with only the original work once everything shakes out, but meanwhile, Google book reviewers are beginning The Snark.

GirlDrinkDrunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat May 12, 2012 11:46 am

Why the hell do people still do that in this day and age? With the internet and all, it's so easy to catch people out. Also, this is what gets me especially. Say I plagiarise. I even get away with it, no one catches me out. And I get praised for my 'work'. But it's not mine. It's someone else's work. Any credit I get is hollow. I for one don't want that.

Now, I do lift things now and then, repurpose them. A quote or line. But I try to somehow ackowledge it in the text, or would happily admit to it if someone asked me. I believe that on the small scale, the difference between plagiarism and homage is honesty.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed May 16, 2012 9:56 pm

A blogger's article was reprinted in its entirety without credit or payment by a small Oregon paper. The blogger videos himself confronting the editors and asking for payment.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  harvey the penguin Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 am

A few weeks ago, I posted about how

Well now, Shit is going DOWN in the classical music print media world!

Peter Gelb, WTF?
harvey the penguin
harvey the penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Crazy times at The Oatmeal. In brief: Matthew (creator)'s comics were hosted without permission at some content-aggregator site called FunnyJunk. Matthew complained to them (a while back), they took some of it down but not all, and he dropped it. Cut to a few days ago: Matthew receives a letter from FunnyJunk's lawyer, Charles Carreon, demanding that MATTHEW pay THEM $20,000 in damages, or they will sue him. Matthew posts the letter sent by Carreon, with lots of funny/cranky annotations/rebuttals. The upshot: "You want ME to pay YOU $20,000 for hosting MY unlicensed comics on YOUR shitty website for the past three years?"

In the post he proposes that instead of paying $20,000 to FunnyJunk, he will collect $20,000 in donations, take a picture of it next to a cartoon he will draw of FunnyJunk's mom fucking a bear (heh), and donate the money to the American Cancer Society and the National Wildlife Foundation. He raises a ton of money very quickly. (So far he's raised $187,000 in fact.) It made the news, etc.

So what happened next? Carreon sued him anyway -- AND ALSO SUED THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY AND THE NATIONAL WILDLIFE FOUNDATION. (Here's Matthew's post.) I don't think FunnyJunk even has anything to do with it anymore; he is suing Matthew personally I believe, for supposedly instigating his followers to harass Carreon.

Naturally the internet is up in arms, but this guy seems to think he's some kind of civil-rights hero or something.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:07 pm

He compares Inman’s charity campaign to when people would sell tickets to throw balls at women being accused of witches in a dunking tank. Money for charity is raised, of course, but the witches aren’t in on it. He may have a very difficult time proving that Inman “instigated attacks,” as he said on his website, but he’s certain he can find some legal recourse for what’s going on right now – “California code is just so long, but there’s something in there about this,” he says.

Oh it's exactly the same thing! Also, is he basically just admitting that he is filing friviolus lawsuits. I wish Matthew should counter-sue him for copyright infringement and harassment!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:42 pm

While I do think that Internet Trolling often times offers a punishment that doesn't fit the crime, I feel like this guy needs to be taken down a notch if only for the racist, sexist, in otherwise poor taste rantings from him (NSFW!)

I never thought I would ever say this, but these posts are just like the letters my dad used to send me.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:38 pm

New wrinkle in the Oatmeal saga: A crazy guy has gotten involved.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:42 pm

Did you look at the lawsuit against the entire Bush administration, the Pope, and the state of Israel? I've never laughed so hard at a list of defendants in my life!
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Oh man, "OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE." "FRUIT OF A LOOM." "THIRTEEN TRIBES OF ISRAEL." "MEIN KAMPF!" "NORDIC GODS." (How do you sue a book? Or a god?)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  oxymoron Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:45 pm

I know I shouldn't nitpick at the crazy, ESPECIALLY crazy that thinks the Olsen twins, Chris Berman, The Holocaust Museum, the Roman Empire, the Vatican and the Wu-Tang Clan are all somehow part of a conspiracy...

but there were only twelve tribes of Israel.

Well, in THIS reality anyway. Maybe in the defendant's reality, "Bob, the Thirteenth Tribe of Israel" exists.

oxymoron

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:35 pm

It's actually a longstanding conspiracy/Indiana-Jones-like-fantasy theory that there's a lost thirteenth tribe. Some of those who propagate the theory say that the American first peoples were descended from that tribe. Yeah, I don't understand it.

No more likely but slightly less fantastic is the theory that Ashkenazi Jews are not actually descended from the historic Israelites but are actually Turkish converts. That theory was put forth in a book called "The Thirteenth Tribe".
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:22 pm

How has Dan Brown not written a novel on this conspiracy yet?

Among the others being sued in that amazing document: www.accuweather.com, Queen of England, Brad Pitt and his adopted son Maddox Pitt/Jolie (sic), Various Buddhist Monks, and Malcolm X. That document has just made my entire week.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm

How has Dan Brown not written a novel on this conspiracy yet?

He hasn't figured out how to swing it around from anti-Semitism to anti-Catholicism yet?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:37 pm

What on earth did Tony Danza do to insult this guy? Zeus? The Native American Fish Society? The Ming Dynasty? Booker T. Washington? How is Vanna White sued but not Pat Sajak? Ben & Jerry's ice cream? The planet Pluto? Is he suing to get the planet status reinstated? Well, that's the last straw. This means war.

In other news, would anyone like to buy my new line of tin-foil hats? One size fits all!

Last edited by maxell131313 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 pm

However, that document doesn't actually get into why he's suing all those people/organisations/monuments (it mentions Mount Rushmore, doesn't it?). I'd like to know what he thinks they have done to him.

Also, I mentioned a few days ago that he's the one who's suing Kim Kardashian, kanye West, and Al-Qaeda.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:33 pm

AccuWeather thinks it was supposed to storm today, and it hasn't yet, so clearly that "Accu" part of their name is ALL WRONG. False advertising! Sue away!

Is is actually possible to sue the Ming dynasty, what with them being dead for so long and three very different governments since then? Maybe he just wants to decorate with some nice porcelain? Did they add too much to the Great Wall? Was it those sea voyages to America? I really need to know.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:41 pm

He's suing Perkins, Denny's, and the Waffle House, but not IHOP? Perhaps the International House of Pancakes is behind all of this!

Poor WKRP in Cincinnati. What did Johnny Fever do to deserve this?

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum