Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing Scandals

+96
Fraoch
mandalaya
eventide82
inversed
jstilwe
Kiran
ulkis
Coneycat
Lily Rose
Carrie Ann
Jamie
allochthonous
draco vulgaris
VodouDoll
epudom
curryalley
Shadowlass
BreezyK
bosoxgirl
Heather
Decca
Wildog27
woolhat
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
Bad Username
GirlDrinkDrunk
pamchenko
harvey the penguin
katesti
Red Wolf
Tabby
leone
vwlphb
Esme
UmaOprah
blixie
Binky
Eris Rising
Jessica
Lady V
Morning Angel
Putli Bai
sagitare
Brainchild
Pop'n'Fresh
Snarryfan
Gilraen
oxymoron
Escape
MtOlivePickles
VictorLaszlo
laddical
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
TiffanyNichelle
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Cutebutpsycho
Swarley
swsa
punzy
xyzzy
Jude
boutros boutros kitty
pinguerin
puddingcup
Raksha
Luthien
MLIS
Instant Monkeys
mialoubug
biakbiak
Crackie
Auroura76
Rhilin
bbridges
bookworm
year of the cat
Daisy Steiner
Jasmine
DarkSpork
Poubelle
big chicken
Miss Moneypenny
QueenSix
PrincessCleo
Cynara
The Glen
naughty zoot
Paris, Texas
caerbannog
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
Genevieve
RiverThames
100 posters

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 13 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Eris Rising Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 am

Red Wolf wrote:In other news, newbie RPG author courts legal troubles for plagiarising White Wolf, but actually has managed to get something published. However, the fun doesn't stop there. Two people read and review the game, deconstructing it and mocking it as they go. Great read. Especially for vampires.

That is honestly the most blatant piece of plagiarism that I have seen in quite some time.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Want to read a scientific publishing dustup involving the editor of Nature Materials?
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:16 am

Oh dear.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Wow. I'm not a scientist, but I believe an O SNAP is warranted.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:19 am

allochthonous wrote: I have high hopes for Republic of Thieves. If it ever comes out.

I have very high hopes, and with that fears. I heard him give a reading from RoT a year and a half ago, and it was fantastic.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Poem that won contest was stolen almost word for word

The bit at the end is absolutely hilarious.
"I want to be as honest as I can with the poetry community and I know it will take some time to regain their trust," he wrote. "Already I have discovered a 2009 poem called The Neighbouris very similar to Tim Dooley's After Neruda and admit that a mistake has been made. I am still digging and want a fresh start. I am deeply sorry and look forward to regaining your trust in me."
Amazing how you find these accidental similarities. And yes, sir, you are still digging. See the first comment.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm

The poet is adding comments to the article. This little bit made me lol: "I have written somewhere between 5 - 600 poems over the last eight/nine years." Oh hey me too, where's my cookie? I actually wrote five poems IN ONE DAY once.

I know he meant 500-600. That still doesn't give him plagiarizing immunity.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 pm

HE IS LIKE ELIOT. WHERE'S THE JUSTICE?
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 pm

My favorite comment: "That's what happens when you fuck with poets."

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm

"You should also know that there may be issues with the poems that start 'I think that I shall never see/A function lovely as a pee' and 'One upon a midnight beery/Watching clips of Dawson Leery'."
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:03 pm

The Curious Case of Kailin Gow.

According to Goodreads, Gow has written 114 distinctive works since 2010, all of which were published by The Edge Books, part of Sparklesoup LLC, which was founded by Gow in 2001. Gow’s prolific output conveniently keeps up with every major and non-major trend in YA, from paranormal to dystopian to New Adult contemporary romance.
Heh. A new "distinctive work" every 9 days or so?

Blurbs written by Malia Obama? HEEE.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:33 am

Publisher Pulls Jonah Lehrer’s ‘How We Decide’ From Stores

Two weeks after disgraced journalist Jonah Lehrer publicly apologized for the “frailties” and “weaknesses” that lead to his firing from The New Yorker and withdrawal of his bestselling book Imagine, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH), publisher of all three of Lehrer’s books, has decided it will no longer offer for sale his second book, How We Decide. After an internal review uncovered significant problems with the book, the publisher is “taking How We Decide off-sale” and has “no plans to reissue it in the future,” HMH senior vice president Bruce Nichols said in an email.
BURRRRN

ETA: This story is fascinating me. He gave a speech at the Knight Foundation (for good journalism!) in which they paid him $20,000 to stand in front of a giant screen with scathing tweets and give an "apology."

Jonah Lehrer’s Mea Sorta Culpa
"I need rules," said Jonah Lehrer earlier today during a speech at the Knight Foundation that broke nearly every rule of propriety and good taste. (The plagiarist and fabulist received a $20,000 mea-culpa fee for his troubles.) "What I clearly need is a new list of rules, a stricter set of standard operating procedures," he went on, referring to those advanced principles of journalism—don't lie, don’t plagiarize, et cetera—that he neglected in the past. But that dark time is over now: Lehrer has been humbled, and Lehrer has been reformed.

Lehrer has been humbled, and yet nearly every bullet in his speech managed to fire in both directions...
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm

This doesn't really belong here, but I don't know where else it would go. I can't stop looking at these these gender-switched book cover ideas, and then getting really mad about it. It's like, I've always known it was true, and even fantasized sometimes about how certain books would be marketed if the author was the opposite gender. But just seeing these, it's so obvious and really really annoying.

Edit: And then there's this bullshit happening on Wikipedia.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Of course, part of the Wikipedia problem is that fortune favors the bold over there. If somebody cares enough to make a change, then they'll change it. I'm kind of shocked that a lot of people are complaining about what is happening at Wikipedia, but no one is, say, making an account and fixing it.

Which you totally could do.

(Case in point, I have a friend who utterly deserves having a listing at Wikipedia, but she didn't have one. And I get not wanting to put oneself on Wikipedia, because that can feel gross. I get it. But I realized it wasn't just going to magically happen, either, so I made an account and made the page.)
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed May 08, 2013 11:49 pm

I've never understood the hyper-feminine covers. Unless it's romance, you're basically shooting yourself in the foot, saleswise. Plenty of women will happy buy books with non-girly covers, but it's the rare man who wants to carry around that much frilly pink.

(also, the feminized Game of Thrones is so spot-on. That is EXACTLY what it would look like. I think the Carrie one goes a little too far--it is horror, and they'd want to give some indication of that on the cover. Even the VC Andrews ones don't go that, well, chick-lit.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Thu May 09, 2013 12:13 am

Regarding Wikipedia, I do wonder why people can't just appear in multiple categories? Does their coding not allow it? Maybe Wikipedia should fix it, if that's the case? And this:

And Amanda Filipacchi? It seems some Wikipedians need to check the policy on shooting the messenger. The article about Filipacchi is undergoing a flurry of editing, not all well-intentioned. Her categories keep changing. Lambert created a new category, American humor novelists, just so he could move her into it.

Is bullshit and makes me give Wikipedia the side-eye in general. If people who bring up issues with your online encyclopedia are going to get their pages vandalized, your online encyclopedia isn't going to be terribly accurate.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 am

You can be in multiple categories. I really want to believe the whole thing started as something well-intentioned, to create a list of female American authors in addition to just "American authors". But then someone went stupid with it and took the women off the "American Authors" categories.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 am

That doesn't appear to be the case. The Lambert fellow who created this mess seems to have started out from the point of "Create a new sub-category. Remove all candidate items for sub-category from general category and add them to sub-category." Which could be Asperger's or high functioning autism, but that's an explanation, not an excuse. But the fact that he appears, according to the article, to be vehemently defending his actions makes even the explanation shaky. It's sexism, whether it was intended to harm or not.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 am

Ugh. Sigh. Some people.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 am

I don't get why they're continuing to let him do it.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm moving the Hugo Schwyzer discussion to General Blog Talk. (I do want to preserve the Publishing thread for stuff related to authors, editors, publishers, or at least some kind of literary connection.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Wow, I thought Twilight had its own thread, but since it doesn't (and I'm not about to start one at this point), I guess I'll put this here.

Stephenie Meyer promotes "Austenland" and manages to piss off her Twilight fanbase at the same time!

Pass the popcorn!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 pm

It has one in Movies, but apparently not in Literature and Multimedia. This is fine.
--
I really can't wait to see the meltdowns, although we are getting so far away from the last movie that maybe she'll get away with it this time.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:28 pm

From that article:

“What I would probably do is three paragraphs on my blog saying which of the characters died,” she says, adding, “I’m interested in spending time in other worlds.”
It'll take three paragraphs?
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Have you read the books? There are a ton of characters, especially in the last one.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum