Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing Scandals

+96
Fraoch
mandalaya
eventide82
inversed
jstilwe
Kiran
ulkis
Coneycat
Lily Rose
Carrie Ann
Jamie
allochthonous
draco vulgaris
VodouDoll
epudom
curryalley
Shadowlass
BreezyK
bosoxgirl
Heather
Decca
Wildog27
woolhat
Francie Nolan
maxell131313
Bad Username
GirlDrinkDrunk
pamchenko
harvey the penguin
katesti
Red Wolf
Tabby
leone
vwlphb
Esme
UmaOprah
blixie
Binky
Eris Rising
Jessica
Lady V
Morning Angel
Putli Bai
sagitare
Brainchild
Pop'n'Fresh
Snarryfan
Gilraen
oxymoron
Escape
MtOlivePickles
VictorLaszlo
laddical
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
TiffanyNichelle
ActonBell
punkysdilemma
Cutebutpsycho
Swarley
swsa
punzy
xyzzy
Jude
boutros boutros kitty
pinguerin
puddingcup
Raksha
Luthien
MLIS
Instant Monkeys
mialoubug
biakbiak
Crackie
Auroura76
Rhilin
bbridges
bookworm
year of the cat
Daisy Steiner
Jasmine
DarkSpork
Poubelle
big chicken
Miss Moneypenny
QueenSix
PrincessCleo
Cynara
The Glen
naughty zoot
Paris, Texas
caerbannog
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
Genevieve
RiverThames
100 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 14 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  Jamie Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:35 pm

But... Aren't they all immortal?
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 pm

If it's three paragraphs of "Edward DIES, Bella DIES, Jacob DIES, THEY ALLLLLL DIE MUAHAHAHAHAHAH and now I have all your monies!!!" I might start to actually like her. (Nope. Still can't like her.)

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Jamie wrote:But... Aren't they all immortal?
Only if nobody kills them. Vampires seem to die by murder with some regularity in the books.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:27 am

Jude wrote:Wow, I thought Twilight had its own thread, but since it doesn't (and I'm not about to start one at this point), I guess I'll put this here.

Stephenie Meyer promotes "Austenland" and manages to piss off her Twilight fanbase at the same time!

Pass the popcorn!
When I first heard of Twilight I found Meyer kind of endearing on her Web site, talking about her deep, deep love of her shallow irritating characters. "She's like a kid!" I thought.

She still is like a kid. And not necessarily in the good ways. Psst, Stephanie, crapping on the franchise that made you wealthy and gave innumerable people a lot of inexplicable pleasure is a bad idea.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:37 am

(Nope. Still can't like her.)
If she stops writing and keeps funding stuff like Austenland, I can like her fine.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:12 am

Coneycat wrote:She still is like a kid. And not necessarily in the good ways. Psst, Stephanie, crapping on the franchise that made you wealthy and gave innumerable people a lot of inexplicable pleasure is a bad idea.
This is exactly it. I had a little Twitter exchange with Maggie Stiefvater last night, who said this:

No matter what your feelings on Twilight are, I'm pretty appalled by fan-backlash re: Meyer's latest interview.
Meyer has a right to be "over" the insane life Twilight gave her. I didn't read her quote as an insult to her readers OR the books.
I mean, Internet, I love you. I do. But sometimes you are so quick to find an insult or an atrocity when really there are only LOLcats.
I said that Twilight fans are insanely protective of the characters, and she responded that she thought they'd be protective of Stephenie too. But I knew as soon as I read the things SM said that many of the fans were going to be up in arms, and they are. I'm not saying she isn't entitled to her opinion, she is. She may even be very justified in being sick of the whole Twilight thing. But I think she wasn't using much common sense to say that publicly about the franchise that, after all, gave her everything she has now. Especially when she's trying to promote her latest effort.

I agree that she's childish. It's like when Midnight Sun was leaked, and she got all huffily indignant, gathering up her toys and stamping home. I thought then that she was a little too impressed with herself, and that opinion hasn't changed the more I've learned of her.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I mean, what's wrong with saying, "Wow, Twilight-- that was an insane ride, and an unforgettable time, but I think that story is told. Now, about Austenland..."

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 pm

I said that Twilight fans are insanely protective of the characters, and she responded that she thought they'd be protective of Stephenie too.
That's what I think the issue is. Majority of Twilight fans really have no loyalty to Meyer. I'm not sure what it is. I think Edward fans grew to hate her because she really did turn on the character at a certain point and sideline him while propping up Jacob. Jacob fans hate her because well, Renesmee. And I think the more casual fans just plain don't care about anything else she does, and I think it's driven her crazy over the years.

Besides the "so over it" and saying it's "not a happy place" for her, she also blamed Twilight for The Host film doing so badly with critics and audiences, and I think that says it all. She doesn't really get that Twilight was a fluke and those people are not going to follow her to other projects, and at the same time, the people who hated Twilight will never take her seriously.

I get that it sucks to have the peak of your career be a punchline for all the cool kids, but at the same time that lame property is also the only reason you have the career you have now as a "film producer", so at least tackle it with a little humor and less whining.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:23 pm

That's what I think the issue is. Majority of Twilight fans really have no loyalty to Meyer.
 Yeah, if that were true The Host movie would have made more money.  She's no JK Rowling.

Is there one place I can go to see the backlash? I'm having a crazy day and I need a small diversion.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:58 pm

If JK Rowling dismissed the Harry Potter series in such a disgusted manner, I would be a little put-off and bummed about it. I appreciate that as much as she might have been exhausted and ready to be done with HP, she continues to have affection for it and understand its importance to its fans. SM is a hack (IMO), and is lucky to be where she is because of this series she's apparently SO over. She's be smart to keep those thoughts to herself.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:04 pm

bookworm wrote:Is there one place I can go to see the backlash?  I'm having a crazy day and I need a small diversion.
This is one of them.

If you can get past the Brazilian fans spamming the same whiny post over and over again, that is. There are also some comments on Just Jared.

I saw the most on Twitter. They were pretty funny on there last night.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Swsa wrote:I get that it sucks to have the peak of your career be a punchline for all the cool kids, but at the same time that lame property is also the only reason you have the career you have now as a "film producer", so at least tackle it with a little humor and less whining.
ITA. I completely understand why she probably never wants to hear the word Twilight ever again, but there's probably a more diplomatic way of addressing it without hurting all of the fans that have bought those books and made her enough money to enable her producing career.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Looks like her management called her and read her the riot act:

Hi everyone,

I'm just back from my short publicity tour for Austenland, and very glad to be home with my boys. I hope you all are having a wonderful summer with your families, and that you have a few more weeks to enjoy (unlike Arizona, where we were back to school last week).

With all the travelling, I only just heard about the current controversy, and I am both surprised and dismayed. I am horrified that my words could be construed in any way to mean that I am "over" the lovely people who embraced Twilight, made it such a huge hit, and changed my life. The time I've spent with my fans has been one of the most precious gifts of this whole experience and I will certainly never forget them or think of them with anything but immense gratitude. I was lucky enough to see a few of them Tuesday night at the Apple "Meet the Filmmakers" event, and they were so lovely! I'm always surprised and touched that people still care about my stories.

Any of you who have ever watched me answer a question live, especially to an indulgent inquirer like a fansite, know that I do tend to go on. Though I try to be as concise as possible to make editing easier for whichever news outlet I'm working with, I'm (still) not very good at it. If you look at the Variety article, you'll notice that I'm speaking in very short statements. Of course, I didn't actually. I spoke in run-on paragraphs and made the poor, sweet man who interviewed me comb through painstakingly trying to find a few completed sentences that he could use to convey the idea of what I was saying. Unfortunately, in shortening the interview to a usable size, some of the meaning of what I was trying to say was lost, and I believe the statements I made ended up sounding much more harsh than I meant them.

Even those of you who love Twilight the most (in fact, especially those who love it the most) have probably noticed that there's been just a teensy little bit of backlash following the success of the books and films. I try my hardest to be thick-skinned, but I'm not much better at that than I am at brevity. So when I speak of Twilight becoming a negative place for me, it is entirely that near-omnipresent Twilight antipathy that I am speaking of. And I'm not complaining or saying it's unfair—I totally understand and even empathize with its existence. I'm just saying that Twilight isn't the wholly positive place for me that it once was.

Also, in regards to being "over it," I will admit, it's getting harder to answer the same questions about Twilight that I've been answering for the past decade (especially when I'm so excited to talk about Austenland). I can only imagine you are just as over reading those same answers. And the little bit about posting which characters died? That was referring to a solemn oath I made years and years ago to some cool fans. I swore I would not take to my grave the ideas I had for future stories, even if all I could to was list the outcomes in bullet points.

So please, never think I don't appreciate the people who read, watch, and love Twilight. I am grateful for your existence every single day. Thanks for the most amazing decade!

Love,

Steph
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm

ahahaha. She's just really tactless and (comes off as?) kind of snotty when she's just talking off the cuff. One time at one of her readings, the big tour where she had the lead singer? guitarist? from Blue October with her, she said on stage that she wouldn't even be there except to hear him play. What she might have meant was, "Touring makes me nervous and public speaking is not really my thing, but having someone playing music as part of the reading means that I have something to enjoy as well." What it sounded like was, "I don't even want to BE HERE."

I said that Twilight fans are insanely protective of the characters, and she responded that she thought they'd be protective of Stephenie too. But I knew as soon as I read the things SM said that many of the fans were going to be up in arms, and they are. I'm not saying she isn't entitled to her opinion, she is. She may even be very justified in being sick of the whole Twilight thing. But I think she wasn't using much common sense to say that publicly about the franchise that, after all, gave her everything she has now. Especially when she's trying to promote her latest effort.
It's the whole tact thing, is the problem. All she had to say was, "Twilight was a great chapter in my life, but like all good things it had to end sometime, and of course, I'm excited about doing new things. LIKE AUSTENLAND, COMING SOON TO A THEATER NEAR YOU." I actually, totally understand why she feels the way she does. She just managed to say it in the worst possible way. Readers are not going to be protective of authors they feel are shitting on them.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Jude wrote:Wow, I thought Twilight had its own thread, but since it doesn't (and I'm not about to start one at this point), I guess I'll put this here.

Stephenie Meyer promotes "Austenland" and manages to piss off her Twilight fanbase at the same time!

Pass the popcorn!
Boo, I was expecting something much more harsh. I do think she meant it lightly. I agree with Coneycat that she is like a kid. Or stupid. She strikes me as kinda dumb, honestly, but she must be doing something right because she has tons of money and I don't. So let's just go with "acts like a kid."

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 am

I've never liked how she's come off. On an NPR interview she more or less acted like the process of writing a novel and getting it published was some wacky accident that she just sort of wandered into. How did it even happen? Not a clue!

A pox upon her. Fie, fie, fie.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:07 am

I wonder if she hasn't always been like this a little. My friend was super into Twilight before it even blew up, and when the second book came out she dragged me to a signing at the local Barnes and Noble. It was basically just Stephenie Meyer, the two of us, and ten seventh graders all sitting on folding chairs in the store's kids' section. Even back then at this super small and low-key event Meyer said she'd take questions, but wouldn't answer any about the characters or story. She just wanted to talk about herself, her college, her family, her writing process, her pets, things like that. Any kids who asked about Bella or the vampires were shut down. It rubbed me the wrong way, to be honest. I'd never heard of this woman before, but these girls had come out special to meet her. They wanted to talk with her about the story they loved. Why did she think they cared about her pets compared to that?

Though when my friend got to the front of the line to have her book signed Meyer did answer a question for her privately: Bella was Edward's first kiss, in case you were wondering.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am

A living Mary Sue should be a contradiction in terms, and yet there she goes...
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 am

Yeah, I tend to think she said exactly what she meant. But then I've thought she's been insufferably full of herself for years now, so the newest quotes brought me nothing but amusement. I think Twilight will be the excuse she uses for the rest of her life when things don't go her way.

"The sad thing is The Host got punished for Twilight," says Meyer. "There was such a stigma from Twilight. And because I had done The Host, it got trashed in the reviews. We got kicked around for Twilight."

"The reviews are not reflective of the film itself," she adds of The Host.
I saw The Host. They're DEFINITELY reflective.

swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Everything I saw/heard about The Host, both book and movie, was that it was basically the boringness of Twilight without the cracktasticness or the strange zeitgeist-capturing whammy that it somehow put on the world.

I wonder if she hasn't always been like this a little.
Everything I've seen from or about her from the very beginning has indicated that, yeah. I get a vibe of general petulance. Also, don't forget the Midnight Sun flounce in--2008?

And you know, I get being So Over the Twilight Experience, no matter how much she's gained from it personally. On a certain level, I totally get it. I just think it's the opposite of smart to let it come out of your mouth.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Like...I think shes right? I think she'll never be taken seriously because of Twilight? And I really thought those books, what I read of them, were just atrocious. BUT. She WROTE them. And they brought her a LOT of success. And she is not talented. At all. So maybe just be grateful you even have a platform. I mean
as I recall she pushed herself into the spotlight in a way few authors have. Even the super successful ones don't necessarily have distractingly prominent cameos in their films, and wax rhaposidic publicly about the films and actors to the point she did. She ate up the Twilight adulation when it was convenient and now that its a year later she is dismissing the fans that got her to this point.

And like I said, I HATE THOSE BOOKS. But shes still tacky as hell for doing this, and frankly shes not any better than Twilight because I read the Host, or at least part of it, and it was just as bad as Twilight with the added benefit of being boring.

Its like if Paul Walker started insulting the Fast and Furious films. Like, yes, those movies are really stupid and ridiculous, (though REALLY fun), but you are Paul Walker. What do you have outside those films? Like, what are you going to do. You already showed us you haven't got any talent in your non F and F related projects. Sit down and be grateful.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:02 pm

PrincessCleo wrote:Everything I saw/heard about The Host, both book and movie, was that it was basically the boringness of Twilight without the cracktasticness or the strange zeitgeist-capturing whammy that it somehow put on the world.
A more perfect description I have never heard.

I've always thought Meyer is the very Mary Suest of Mary Sues, not even bothering to change the description of Bella from her own physicality (except for the thin part...and that's purely wishful thinking, IMO). And maybe the harsh criticism of Twilight, especially the (super lame) character of Bella, has produced a resentment so great that now she's just lashing out against the whole world, including the one she created.

Eh. I'm done armchair analyzing the creature Meyer. Even if I'm right, it doesn't change my opinion that she's a self-important, arrogant twit. The only thing she's done that's good is that the movies she's producing are mostly staffed by women, and that's a step in the right direction, even if I still can't stand her personally.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:46 pm

VodouDoll wrote:Though when my friend got to the front of the line to have her book signed Meyer did answer a question for her privately: Bella was Edward's first kiss, in case you were wondering.
I don't know why this irritates me so much, but it really does. Your super-dreamy, perfect, forever-seventeen hunk of a main character waited ninety years for his FIRST KISS? I mean, come on. Even before he was vamped, he never even kissed anybody? That lady is crazy.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:07 pm

See, I'm more like, "Oh come on, are you new here? Of COURSE it was his first kiss." You don't even want to know what all else she claimed had never happened before.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Well, now I do!

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content