Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Runway

+38
ActonBell
Kiran
biakbiak
Agent Sculder
Shadowlass
choubetcha
bosoxgirl
mokey75
Matinee
MaddyCat
stephentrendy
SelfAmused
BreezyK
Raised by wolves
jcpdiesel21
roly
killershrew
xyzzy
truecrystal
preciosa
puddingcup
Paris, Texas
whatthedeuce
blooey
paablish
Salieri
punkysdilemma
Binky
maxell131313
Jamie
curryalley
Cutebutpsycho
oxymoron
Miss Moneypenny
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
Jasmine
pizzagirl20
42 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Project Runway - Page 2 Empty Re: Project Runway

Post  curryalley Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 pm

Anya's aesthetic is closest to Uli's but Uli's finale collection had so much more variety and tailoring than Anya's ever could. The judges didn't consider that maybe Anya's looks are repetitive because that's the only thing she knows how to make. She had it in the bag the moment they handed the designers another $500 for no reason.

ETA: What annoys me most is the producer manipulation. There was never going to be a scenario where Anya didn't win. But this crop of designers were so mediocre that it makes it hard to decide who should have won. I think it should have Kimberly. Victor's was great until those sheers happened and Josh is insane. Come on. No women actually wants to wear lime-green thigh corsets.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Salieri Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:43 pm

You know, I actually didn't mind Gretchen winning last year because at least she could design and sew well, and I felt sorry for her for all the shit she was getting. But this Anya thing is just...wow.

I think the worst part is how obviously favored she was by the judges and producers. Other designers get eliminated for having a too narrow POV or having construction issues or either being too wearable or not wearable enough. But Anya was getting praised for the exact same things other people got eliminated for, and that's crazy-making. Like, I don't like being made to feel stupid, you know?

Plus, all the "last minute" challenge changes that somehow always seemed to pop up just when she needed it. Hey, you lose your money? Well, surprise! You have to make a second look, and here's some cash! You're struggling to put out a pair of garments? Well, surprise! You only have to show one of your looks on the runway! You make arguably the most shitty mini-collection and still somehow get into the finals when the judges bend the rules? Well, surprise, everyone! You get $500 and a trip to Mood instead of a typical make-a-surprise-13th-look challenge! And meanwhile the producers are throwing up their hands innocently, all, "What are you talking about? We gave the same money to everyone!" Bleh.

And the thing that kills me is that I didn't hate her final collection. I just hated how the road was paved all season to get her there.

(And did she win every challenge that had a cash prize this season? Between that and the final win and the viewer's choice, she raked in a lot of cash.)

In the end, the judges clearly wanted someone they could build a brand around, and they loved the whole idea of Anya. Her Anya-ness, if you will. The story of the beautiful beauty queen from the exotic islands who can barely sew but is some kind of savant when it comes to fashion.

Whatever.
Salieri
Salieri

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 pm

I TOTALLY think the reason they sent all four of them to FW was because they couldn't bear to eliminate Anya and they knew that if they got rid of Kimberly, they HAD to ax Anya, too. As far as the $500 goes, I don't necessarily think that was Anya specific, but I DO think they were like, "god, all of these are deeply lackluster and this season already sucks. Give them some more money and see if that helps."

My question is, WHY was everyone running out of time AT THE FINALE? Don't they have at least several weeks to do their collections?

I actually don't mind Anya winning -- I actually thought her line was the best when we saw it at Fashion Week -- but Josh being runner-up is amazing to me. I think his work is just hideous.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Jessica wrote:I actually don't mind Anya winning -- I actually thought her line was the best when we saw it at Fashion Week -- but Josh being runner-up is amazing to me. I think his work is just hideous.
What, you don't think you can rock a neon-green vagina corset?
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:18 pm

They made such a big deal all season about how amazing it was that she made X when she'd just learned to sew four months ago (it's like its American Idol equivalent, Randy hollering "SIXTEEN YEARS OLD! SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!!") that I wondered if they were setting her up for an AMAZING win.

I like her, I think her stuff was pretty, and when it was all walking down the runway it looked the least awkward to me, if that makes sense. Like, it looked the most like real clothes. But she really did make the same thing 1700 times. And also, when she tried to branch out -- and how many times have we heard "you're boring me/I want to see you do something new/you haven't grown as a designer" -- they literally were like "It's OK, honey, you don't have to do that other stuff. Just do the stuff you like to make." And she said OK and went to Mood and bought a zillion other prints and made a zillion other flowy dresses. And won.

I think I still would have picked Victor, but the abundance of sheer really was weird. I was highly disappointed in Kim's collection. Josh's was just on crack as usual. If the shorts looked OK in a polaroid but awkward walking down the runway, then what do you think is the more accurate view of them, NINA? Sheesh.

Anyway, I'm not furious she won or anything. But I was like, "Really?"
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:50 pm

My main issue with Anya's win isn't that she won, but that she should have been eliminated long before she even got to the finale. That ill-fitting wool swimsuit was one of the most hideous, poorly-designed things I have ever seen.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 pm

It's a sign of the quality of the contestants when many of them would have been taken out by a challenge to make a pair of pants that fit or to make a shirt with sleeves.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:46 am

I really liked the season when it began, but a few eps ago, I started wondering when the hell it would end already. I was really beginning to worry about Kimberly falling apart, too. Even at Fashion Week, the poor thing's kit went missing, and I thought she'd become a crying mess.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:15 am

Of the collections they had to choose from, I would have picked Anya also. Viktor's transparent S&M stuff was awful and I hated that his prints were too-obviously made out of photographs. Kimberly's collection had some great ideas but didn't look very cohesive, and I think she made a mistake keeping the bubble skirt in after both the judges and Tim commented on it. I think the judges were right--more designs like the white outfit or the black evening gown would have put her near or at the top. Joshua.. ugh. The praise the judges lavished upon his plastic neoprene stuff and that hideous print was absolutely confounding to me.

In my fantasy universe, Bert would have won. I loved his decoy collection.

I agree that this wasn't a strong season, but I'm not done with the show...yet.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 pm

blooey wrote:My main issue with Anya's win isn't that she won, but that she should have been eliminated long before she even got to the finale. That ill-fitting wool swimsuit was one of the most hideous, poorly-designed things I have ever seen.

For me, the phrase "wool swimsuit" just boggles the mind. Or is this a common thing in the fancy swimsuit world and I don't know about it because I bought my last bathing suit at Sears?

I really liked Laura's decoy collection, which was funny because I hated pretty much everything she made for the show.
killershrew
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:11 pm

killershrew wrote:
blooey wrote:My main issue with Anya's win isn't that she won, but that she should have been eliminated long before she even got to the finale. That ill-fitting wool swimsuit was one of the most hideous, poorly-designed things I have ever seen.

For me, the phrase "wool swimsuit" just boggles the mind. Or is this a common thing in the fancy swimsuit world and I don't know about it because I bought my last bathing suit at Sears?

I really liked Laura's decoy collection, which was funny because I hated pretty much everything she made for the show.

Swimsuits used to be made of wool. You know, BACK IN THE 20S.

I also really liked Laura's collection. She's a much better designer than she is a reality show contestant.

Last edited by curryalley on Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I think they used wool for swimsuits back in the day because it retains its insulating properties even when wet, but there's a reason it was dumped the second better materials came along. When the best thing that can be said about a fabric is that it's less likely to give you hypothermia than cotton, it's probably not all that great.

I wonder if part of the problem this year wasn't the talent level of the designers, but that they picked at least some people who were completely unable to work within the constraints of the show. I didn't think Laura had that collection in her, for example, but I guess she just needed to get away from the competition.

That doesn't explain the complete and utter of the judges this season, but it might explain why the contestants were so bad.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm having fun pretending Anya had done a complete 20s collection, with flapper skirts and boater hats. For the skinny flatchested flapper girl.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Laura's decoy collection is loads better than anything she created for the PR challenges.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:07 pm

Me too. Her's was my favorite collection, though she annoyed me the whole season.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Anthoyn Ryan was my fave all season, but his decoy collection is a hot mess. There are a few separate pieces that I like, but most of the ensembles had clashing patterns that were way off the mark.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  roly Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Did anyone watch "Behind the Seams" last night? I found it disappointing. The "Tim Gunn Awards" were super cheesy (although I did enjoy how openly dismissive of Olivier Tim seemed to be the whole time) and while it was touching to see Tim's response to all of the love he was getting from the cast, it made me wish they had gotten some comments from designers from other seasons too. It's not like they couldn't have pulled former cast members aside at the final runway show (there were tons of them there) and asked for a quote about Tim to put in that little montage.

Also, it wasn't until the designers started talking about the time crunch in the challenges and how they're working every day and do nothing in the apartments but sleep that I realized how little we see of them outside of Parsons now. Remember in the first season, when they were stumbling around the apartments all liquored up and trying to do yoga? Why expand the format to 90 minutes if you're not going to give us stuff like that?

roly

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:55 am

Project Runway: All Stars will debut on Thursday, January 5th. While I am excited about seeing most of these designers again (WHY must we be subjected to more Kenley, UGH), I am not particularly liking the fact that there will be a different host and judges, and a fashion mentor other than Tim Gunn seems WRONG. But the guest judges listed could be really fun.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 am

Wait. No Tim? That sounds like a whole lotta suckage to me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 pm

THIS IS BULLSHIT. WHERE IS TIM GUNN?

I wonder if the producers overestimate viewer loyalty to Project Runway as a brand. No Tim Gunn? Why not have the usual mentor and judges who've seen the contestants' work and know what they're truly capable of? Or are they afraid it will seem like the fix is in (who isn't expecting Mondo to win?) and new judges might read as more nuetral?

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Jessica Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 pm

REWIND. NO TIM?

What is even the POINT of doing it if they don't have Tim -- and his background knowledge of the designers, and ESPECIALLY his issues with Kenley -- to lead the way? I can def. live without Klum, but I am even hesitant about no Michael or Nina. The season the show was in LA and they were only there sporadically suffered for it, I thought. That being said, Mizrahi should be good. But no Tim?!! Joanna Coles was a GREAT guest judge, and she's really smart. I'd rather see her in the Nina seat than in Tim's space.
Jessica
Jessica

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 am

curryalley, I think you're right. The producers need something fresh for the big all-star seasons, and since all the contestants have already been seen on the show before, they had to throw in new elements. With that in mind, it actually makes lots of sense to bring in a new mentor and panel. Still, I will miss Michael Kors' critiques and Tim Gunn just being his awesome self.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzagirl20 Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 am

PR All-Stars premiered tonight! While I was worried about the change of new judges, host and mentor, I was pleasantly surprised with the new people. I thought JoAnna Coles gave good critiques.

And it was so good to see REAL DESIGN AND SEWING on the runway again. Looking forward to the rest of the season!
pizzagirl20
pizzagirl20

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 am

I thought the premiere was fine, but admittedly, I had the bar set pretty low. I usually am completely game for innovation challenges, but this one was a bit stale. I hope the challenges in future weeks are unique and more interesting. The judging was okay, but there was definite room for improvement. I thought they were soft on their criticism in particular; their remarks were more biting in private than they were on the runway, so this may change as the season progresses. I did not particularly care for Angela Lindvall. She does not have the effortless charisma of Heidi Klum, and she kept messing up on the terminology at the end of the runway show! Joanna Coles was a decent mentor, and provided some very useful feedback to the designers. But she's missing the warmth and humor that Tim Gunn has. He's the one that I miss the most out of the old crew.

I was pleasantly surprised with the first designer eliminated. Low tolerance for crazy this season, it seems! I'm already a little irritated by Kenley and Michael; their reaction shots are so incredibly over the top. I thought Rami's win was well-deserved; that dress was tremendous and fashionable. Mondo's was fabulous as well, as was Kara's. There are several designers who say that they have grown since their first time on the show, but I'm not seeing it in their first couple of designs, especially Mila and Jerell.

Did anyone else catch the subtle slam that Kenley made on Tim in her comments on Joanna? The way that she commented on how Joanna's opinion was so important because she is a fashion magazine editor made it seem like she didn't value Tim's opinion at all because his current position in the fashion world. Or maybe I'm reading too much into this because I hate Kenley.

Last edited by jcpdiesel21 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:31 am

I was disappointed with the first elimination, because as crazy as Elisa is, I a)find her entertaining, but b) more importantly, Sweat Pea's dress was TERRIBLE and she so needed to go.

I did like Joanna Cole, though, but the Heidi Lite was not good at all. Kenley and Michael are definitely already annoying, but Mondo and Rami were fantastic as expected.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next