Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports Programming

+3
maxell131313
sunni94
truecrystal
7 posters

Go down

Sports Programming Empty Sports Programming

Post  truecrystal Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm

A place to discuss sports-related tv, radio, web programming.

Though I really just started this thread to say OMG STFU STEPHEN A. SMITH AND SKIP BAYLESS!! ESPN has a bunch of worthless "analysts" (hullothere Lee Corso!!) but I swear these 2 get more undeserving airtime on First Take than anyone else. Skip just wants to be contrary for the hell of it and doesn't have any real basis for his analysis, and Stephen A. Smith is just a loudmouth.

And who would've thought Trent frikkin' Dilfer would be a thoughtful analyst?

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Sports Programming Empty Re: Sports Programming

Post  sunni94 Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:39 pm

I want to throw things at my TV every time Hasslebeck is on acting like he knows anything about football. GET HIM OFF MY TV. I also need to take a Xanex in order to watch a college game that Dick Vitale calls. You can't even understand a word he says.

Now, if I were ruler of ESPN. Kirk Herbstreet and Steve Young would be on tv every other hour. They can trade off or be a twosome. I'd be fine with either.

sunni94

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 pm

I frequently want to throw things at the screen when Lou Holtz opens his mouth. He was a great coach, but as an analyst, he really sucks.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 pm

sunni94 wrote:I want to throw things at my TV every time Hasslebeck is on acting like he knows anything about football. GET HIM OFF MY TV. I also need to take a Xanex in order to watch a college game that Dick Vitale calls. You can't even understand a word he says.

Now, if I were ruler of ESPN. Kirk Herbstreet and Steve Young would be on tv every other hour. They can trade off or be a twosome. I'd be fine with either.

Ugh Dick Vitale. He pretty much sounds like "AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGH!! DICKIE V! DIAPER DANDY! TARHEELS BAYBEEEE! AAAAAGGGGHHH BAYBEEE!!!!!" I'm a Tarheel fan and I can't stand him.

If you add Mark Schlereth to the Kirk Herbstreet and Steve Young show, the eye candy alone would have me tuning in.

I frequently want to throw things at the screen when Lou Holtz opens his mouth. He was a great coach, but as an analyst, he really sucks.

What makes it even worse is that they have him and Mark May, by far the two WORST college football analysts, doing the pre- and post-GameDay shows. Why yes, coach, the key is for the team to play better offense. Thank you for that brilliant insight. I wish they would follow the NFL Countdown format (where Boom and Tom Jackson do the Countdown wrap-up on Sunday nights) and have Kirk and Chris Fowler do the GameDay wrap-up on Saturday nights.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  sunni94 Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Oh my gosh, Mark Schlereth went to my University and when I worked doing events there he'd frequently attend the big donor functions and can I just tell you how much better he is in real life? He's also charming, hilarious, and nice to underlings. HD can't even come close to how pretty he is in real life. Plus he's like huge and gave the best hugs. Probably because I was a squirly fangirl but he totally does. How could I forget to add him to my ESPN hot list? After the bowl game win la few years ago he was hosting Mike and Mike in the morning and displaying his Idaho gear. Plus he gets digs in at Boise State all the time and I hate them.

I also want to ax Craig James from anything. I did not realize he basically got fired from College Gameday. After the debacle with his son being an entitled little PAB I just can't believe anything he says.

And while I'm at it? Hannah Storm needs to go. How is she still there? Honestly?

I clearly spend way too much time watching ESPN programming.

sunni94

Back to top Go down

Post  Sincerity Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:01 am

This isn't a national broadcast guy, but a local Dallas one. The guy on WFAA, our local ABC affiliate, is awful. I can't stand him. He's been around forever but he never gives any sports other than football the time of day. We have every major sport here - football, baseball, basketball, hockey, AND soccer. Being a hockey fan in this city is tough enough, I can't even imagine what it's like being a soccer fan, they're NEVER mentioned.

Sincerity
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:17 am

I watch way to much ESPN (plus NFL network) than is healthy for the average human. I don't watch much SportsCenter, since I only watch football and baseball by osmosis, but I watch a lot of the shows. PTI, Around the Horn, SportsNation (love!) and my absolute favorite show is Dan Le Batard is Highly Questionable. I freakin' love that show so much I get pissed when it's bumped. Gonzalo Le Batard is my TV boyfriend and I just love they way Dan and Papi interact they're just so cute together. I sometimes say "Previously on my son's TV show" with a Spanish accent just to amuse myself.

As for analysts I like, I love it when Schlereth, Jon Ritchie, Hugh Douglas, and Lomas Brown show up on Sports Nation. Those guys are great fun. Kordell Stewart and Marcellas Wiley are OK but I'm glad Wiley isn't around as much because the others get more time. Honestly the only one that I don't like is Herm Edwards. He's the Dick Vitale of football for me. Histrionic character that cares more about his TV time than actual analysis.

On the NFL network I really don't care for Warren Sapp much. He's such an ego monster. I also don't like that they got rid of Chris Carter and Dan Marino on Inside the NFL for Simms and Sapp. Absolute downgrade. I used to DVR it, but now I don't because it's gone so far downhill with those two. Other than Sapp I think NFL network's analysts are excellent. Deion Sanders especially. He can do the funny commentary and deep analysis really well, I can't believe he hasn't gotten a network gig on the big 3 somewhere. But they have one analyst I can't tolerate. Alex Flannagan has the most horrid nasal voice I cannot for the life of me figure out how she got a job on TV. She's the worst. Worse than Hasselbeck even, and I agree with you guys, he's dreck. I will turn the channel when she's on.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:48 am

I don't watch much NFL Network, but that makes me sad about Warren Sapp because I loved him as a player. He and John Lynch were the reasons why this NC girl was a Bucs fan. I'm glad about Deion Sanders though because I've always found him extremely charismatic but not in a smarmy way. And his Hall of Fame speech made me cry. I give all the NFL Network analysts/commentators credit though because they have the absolute toughest job since they don't have commercial breaks to fall back on.

The NFL Network's loss is ESPN's gain because Cris Carter is great. I think the current NFL Countdown line-up of Carter, Keyshawn, Tom, Coach Ditka and Berman is the best they've had in a while. Coach is obviously just filling the crotchety old coach slot but I'll take him over Herm any day, though I think Coack Billick would be a great addition. I don't mind Herm in small doses like on NFL 32, but he gets over-the-top if given too much time. The weakest link on Countdown by far is Chris Mortensen. I'm sure he's an insider in the sense he gets scoops early, but he is in no shape, form or fashion a tv personality. He's awkwardly eager and I feel so bad for poor Suze Kolber for having to work around him on NFL 32.

I wish FOX would fire Terry Bradshaw because I love Howie Long so much (Howie was my first football boyfriend. Keep your QB's - I loves me some defensive players), but I cannot stomach more than 5 minutes of Terry's ranting and raving.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm going to take this opportunity to question Joe Buck is a robot. I hate that Fox has the NFC games because I'm subjected to Buck and Aikman way too often. I enjoy the commentary much more when it's on CBS or NBC.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 am

Schlereth is leaving the Denver radio show he cohosts because the station is no longer an ESPN affiliate. He's been a fixture in Denver since he joined the Broncos. The good news is he might be getting a national radio show.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum