Earworms

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Earworms

Post  mayram on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Well even that can be attributed to how much the song lifts musically from Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up", which is why Thicke et al sued his estate before his estate could sue them.
Well that's interesting. I'd been hearing about this all summer long and just assumed I'd never heard this particular Marvin Gaye song, but I just youtube'd it and I definitely know that song.

I can hear some similarities for sure, but I don't put it in the same category as Vanilla Ice/Freddie Mercury & David Bowie or Lady GaGa/Madonna. I heard that Lady GaGa song in spin class the other day and it took me til the end of the song to realize I wasn't listening to Express Yourself (clearly I wasn't paying strict attention to the words, but the tune is SO similar.)

Speaking of derivative tunes, every single time Mirrors by Justin Timberlake comes on, I think I'm going to hear Here I go again on my own by Whitesnake.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Am I crazy for not hearing a similarity between Born This Way and Express Yourself? I even listened to a YouTube vid that has clips of both and don't think they sound alike at all. The rest of the songs mentioned before, like Ice Ice Baby and Blurred Lines, I absolutely hear the similarities of the music to the point where it seems the music was lifted directly from the earlier tracks and just sped up to make them sound fresher.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  00redsvt on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:09 am

The commercial for "The Haves an Have Nots" that keeps saying "It's too damn hot" I cannot stop singing that part. I was frying taters earlier and got popped with grease, looked at my husband and said...you guessed it.

00redsvt

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:24 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Am I crazy for not hearing a similarity between Born This Way and Express Yourself? I even listened to a YouTube vid that has clips of both and don't think they sound alike at all. The rest of the songs mentioned before, like Ice Ice Baby and Blurred Lines, I absolutely hear the similarities of the music to the point where it seems the music was lifted directly from the earlier tracks and just sped up to make them sound fresher.
No, you're not. I've listened to both back-to-back, and while I can hear a faint similarity, it's nothing to take notice of. They sound different to me.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:43 pm

Crowbridge wrote:
whatthedeuce wrote:Am I crazy for not hearing a similarity between Born This Way and Express Yourself? I even listened to a YouTube vid that has clips of both and don't think they sound alike at all. The rest of the songs mentioned before, like Ice Ice Baby and Blurred Lines, I absolutely hear the similarities of the music to the point where it seems the music was lifted directly from the earlier tracks and just sped up to make them sound fresher.
No, you're not.  I've listened to both back-to-back, and while I can hear a faint similarity, it's nothing to take notice of.  They sound different to me.

I totally hear it. They play a mash-up of it in one of the classes at my gym and it flows seamlessly between the two songs.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Crowbridge, I'm glad at least one other person doesn't think they sound totally similar. I feel like I'm deaf when I listen to the songs back to back without hearing the connection beween them. I do wanna hear the mash-up mayram mentioned though so I can finally discern what everyone else so easily hears.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:59 pm

I think they sound similar, but not horribly so, not enough to make such a big damn deal over. I have to give props to Gaga though. At some of her concerts, Madonna was dropping "Born this Way" lyrics into "Express Yourself" as kind of a not-so-subtle burn. Instead of getting into a pissing match, Gaga's public reaction was "OMG, Madonna sang my song."

Link

Dude, you're Madonna. Respect yourself.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:23 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Crowbridge, I'm glad at least one other person doesn't think they sound totally similar. I feel like I'm deaf when I listen to the songs back to back without hearing the connection beween them. I do wanna hear the mash-up mayram mentioned though so I can finally discern what everyone else so easily hears.

This isn't the exact one, I think the one I hear is on some kind of LA Fitness mix cd, but it's pretty close to the one I've heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-D1Iwr7Gw

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 am

Putli Bai, I could definitely hear the similarity more clearly when Madonna sang the Born This Way chorus, but like you said, I still don't think it's a blatant rip-off or anything.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 am

I've been listening to Sara Bareilles' latest album this week and can't get I Choose You out of my head. It's such a sweet song!
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks to oldies radio and some rash actions on iTunes, I have had a Bee Gees earworm for about two weeks now. It's... surprisingly easy to live with. It's like, I go about my business all day with a disco dance party in my head.

You should be dancin', yeah!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:10 pm

"Problem" by Ariana Grande is a major, major problem for me right now.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Big Data's Dangerous is absolutely my jam at the moment. For a more typical earworm though, Rude by Magic has been my crack for two months now.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:53 pm

'Tom's Diner' was on the radio just now. I felt rickrolled and I wasn't even on the internet.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Damn you, Taylor Swift. Damn you. "Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake..."

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:34 pm

Just heard TSwift's new song today and am waiting to see if it'll grow on me. I kinda like it, but it's also twee and annoying.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:10 pm

A bit off of our usual track, but as the father of a child who has developed particular and repetitive tastes in her entertainment, I ask that you share my torment.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 pm

I still think of that stupid song on rainy days. I don't even know, man.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:21 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I still think of that stupid song on rainy days. I don't even know, man.

I'm just singing "Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah".
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:50 am

If all the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops, oh what a rain that would be!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:45 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:If all the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops, oh what a rain that would be!

If all the snowflakes were candy bars and milkshakes, oh what a snow that would be!

Actually...

Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants!
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:44 am

If all the moonbeams were bubble gum and ice cream, oh what a sticky, sticky night that would be!
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top