What's This Book?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's This Book?

Post  Shadowlass on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's forgotten the names of half the books I've read or want to read....

Right now, spurred by Once Upon a Time, I'm looking for a series of books (not comics) I saw recommended some months ago which used characters from classic fairytales. The heroines, at least--and they were kickass. I seem to recall Red Riding Hood, plus some combination of Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Rose Red. They might have been mystery or adventure stories. They weren't kids' books, and I don't think they were young adult, either. The plots of the various books might have intertwined. I think the author was a man.

Help?!

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Re: What's This Book?

Post  punzy on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 pm

The Stepsister scheme by Jim Hines?

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:14 pm

That's it! I was thinking of that and Jim Hines's other Princess books!

Thank you!

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 pm

This is for a library patron. A novel by a German author, either published in the 1960s or taking place in the 1960s or possibly postwar. Postcards figure prominently in the plot. It was set in Berlin. Or Bonn. Friedeichstrasse is mentioned. The patron was somewhat incredulous that I couldn't figure this out for him.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Could it be Every Man Dies Alone, by Hans Fallada?

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:32 pm

OMG, you are amazing. Actually I don't know yet, but it certainly sounds like a strong possibility. Wow.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 pm

All shall behold my Google-fu and despair!

That title...man, that books sounds super cheerful.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Hmm, think I'll add that to my reading list.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:08 pm

I read a book years ago where the main storyline has completely gone from my head, but there was one scene that stuck, and I'd love to find out what the book is.

The main characters were modern, I think, and for some reason were wandering about in the dark or mists or some kind of odd place, and they saw a group of Roman soldiers sitting about complaining about how they'd deserted because they were asked to build Hadrian's Wall. I clearly remember one line in particular - "We're soldiers, man, not bloody brickies!"

I think it was supposed to be the Ninth Legion, but that's all I remember of the whole book - any ideas?
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  ariadne on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Esseilte wrote:I read a book years ago where the main storyline has completely gone from my head, but there was one scene that stuck, and I'd love to find out what the book is.

The main characters were modern, I think, and for some reason were wandering about in the dark or mists or some kind of odd place, and they saw a group of Roman soldiers sitting about complaining about how they'd deserted because they were asked to build Hadrian's Wall. I clearly remember one line in particular - "We're soldiers, man, not bloody brickies!"

I think it was supposed to be the Ninth Legion, but that's all I remember of the whole book - any ideas?

Esseilte, that sounds like Red Shift by Alan Garner, which is set in Cheshire in three different time periods, including Roman.

ariadne

Back to top Go down

Post  mikkitikkitavi on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:13 pm

My friend is trying to think of the name of a children's book from his childhood. It is about an old woman dressed entirely in black who kidnaps children. She carries an umbrella and a bag of bricks. She has yellow eyes. She continuously kidnaps children and it upsets people, naturally. The zookeeper sends his son to school with a boa constrictor around his neck for protection. An Army father sends his son to school in a tank. They finally capture the old woman and she leads them to either a hole in the ground or a cave. All of the kidnapped children are there and still alive. She then slips through the handcuffs and escapes. Anyone know of this book?

mikkitikkitavi

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:23 pm

ariadne wrote:Esseilte, that sounds like Red Shift by Alan Garner, which is set in Cheshire in three different time periods, including Roman.

Ah...could be, I did read all of Alan Garner's books at one point! I'll have to get hold of it and check - thank you!
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 pm

The book I'm trying to find is non-fiction and is either the WWII diary or memoir of a German (or maybe a Pole but I'm pretty sure he was German) published within the past ten years. I remember the title was rather poetic. I also think this was a multiple book project for the writer.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  elleth on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 am

Ahhhh, I'm trying to find the name of a book & my google skills are failing me. It was a book about a young woman who gets diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma, and she dies at the end. I thought she was also into skiing, but I may be conflating 'The Other Side of the Mountain' with this book (at least for the skiing part). I can't for the life of me remember if it's a work of fiction, or a biography of some sort.

There's also a boyfriend/husband in the book. I had this book for years but I must have given it away some time after I moved away from home.

elleth

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:32 am

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with the name of non-fiction book suggesting that the future will be pretty much the opposite of that presented in "1984", because society will break down due to the self-indulgence of individuals, and people not caring about it. I'm sorry, that's all the info I've got to go on, and Google hasn't given me any results.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm asking for this one on behalf of someone I know. The book would have been written and/or published between the 1960s and the 1980s. It's a post-apocalyptic children's novel, featuring a pair of siblings: an older sister and a younger brother. It may have been set in England. She remembers little else about the book other than that there were no parents, and when the siblings had to leave their home, they had to take drinking water with them from the tank on their toilet. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:58 pm

That almost (except for the part about England) could be one of the three Wilanne Schneider Belden books, "Mind-Call," "Mind-Hold," or "Mind-Find." If there was some kind of parapsychology connection then I'd be more sure. Anyway, those are great books (especially the first one) so if she likes that kind of thing, she ought to track them down. I believe they are out of print.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerg on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Nerg

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Nerg wrote:It might be The Girl Who Owned A City.
Oh man, I remember that book.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I was supposed to teach that in my student teaching class nine years ago. I was like "Uh, it says right on the back copy that it's got an agenda. Also I read three pages and it sucks." My teacher agreed and we read some Alice Hoffman YA instead, which wasn't very good but at least wasn't trying to tell the kids to be selfish authoritarian dickweeds (post-apocalypse optional).

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 am

Nelson has stated that his intent in writing the novel was to translate the Objectivist philosophy of Ayn Rand into terms children could understand.
Oh dear.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:48 am

A time travel and/or alternate universe series. Possibly involving a war/cold war between our universe and another one. I only remember one scene. The character, who joined the time police from our universe, goes into an alternate world where the culture is more Celtic than our own. He gets in a car with a woman native to that world, who drives. The car has gas lamp headlights, rather than electric. There are no rules about which side of the road to drive on, and they nearly have an accident with another car when leaving a bridge. No supernatural happenings as far as I can remember. I might have muddled this up, but I hope it sounds familiar to someone.

I read this back either late 80s or early 90s. Could date back a while before then.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Honoria Lucasta on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Delurking (hi!) to post a wild guess on this one - The Keltiad? I haven't read it, but the Wiki description of a separate Celtic-y planet at odds with this one sounds similar to what you're describing. (I mean. How many alternate Celtic universe series can there be? (SEVERAL, probably.))

Honoria Lucasta

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:48 pm

No, that doesn't sound at all familiar, sorry. I think the main character was just in that Celtic world for one book, before moving on to some new alternate world or back to regular Earth.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top