Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Works of George R.R. Martin

+17
Cynara
naughty zoot
midnight radio
Gallifrey Girl
Lily Rose
curryalley
Red Wolf
ActonBell
bbridges
Unlucky Bear
blixie
queenofdenile
tothemax
ulkis
NewYorkStranger
laurelin_kit
BreezyK
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Works of George R.R. Martin Empty The Works of George R.R. Martin

Post  BreezyK Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 pm

JUST finished A Dance with Dragons and I'm really missing SF 3.0, so that I can read about what everyone else thought!

First and foremost,
Spoiler:

Second,
Spoiler:

Third,
Spoiler:

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

The Works of George R.R. Martin Empty Re: The Works of George R.R. Martin

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Spoiler:
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  NewYorkStranger Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 pm

One of my friends at work decided to read these books, but she's only about half-way through GoT and has NO idea what's coming. It's really hard to bite my tongue.

Anyway, as for DwD
Spoiler:

Also, I was horrified by
Spoiler:
NewYorkStranger
NewYorkStranger

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Breezy, I've been bored with Arya's storyline since book 2. Like the character, but running around endlessly in circles in the woods is boring. And I skipped book 4 so I can't speak to that, but if it was anything like her one chapter in Dance it probably would have bored me as well.

Also agree about the whole Mereneese Knot thing or however it's spelled.
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:53 pm

ulkis wrote:Breezy, I've been bored with Arya's storyline since book 2. Like the character, but running around endlessly in circles in the woods is boring. And I skipped book 4 so I can't speak to that, but if it was anything like her one chapter in Dance it probably would have bored me as well.

Also agree about the whole Mereneese Knot thing or however it's spelled.
Spoiler:

Why did you skip AFFC? I loved it.
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm

I do like this series, but I don't love it, so when I found out AFFC didn't really include any of the characters I was invested in, I didn't feel like reading the whole thing. :) I did skim through some of it.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm on AFFC now and it is really jarring to have a lot of new characters without the anchors of some of the old ones. Each book introduces ten quillion new characters anyway, but it's always been helpful to have familiar characters to go back to. I find I just don't care about most of the new people, especially since
Spoiler:

Last edited by tothemax on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I liked AffC the first time I read it, but it was a bit of a slog to get through the second time.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Yes, I didn't care for AFFC. I've read all the books this year, starting in June, so it wasn't like I had a freaking ELEVEN year wait to find out what was up with Jon Snow, Dany or Tyrion, but one of the things that I really liked about the first 3 books was that with the change in location between Westeros, Over the Sea and the Wall, you really got to split up the book quite a bit. I missed the outside of Westeros storylines while reading AFFC and the Westeros storylines while reading ADWD.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

I was the opposite, actually. I didn't care about it (apart from the two Sansa chapters) the first time around but after a second look I really love it. So much Dorne! Arianne Martell is one of my favorites. And I think everything going on with the
Spoiler:
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 pm

ADWD didn't frustrate me as much in that regard because more of my favorite characters were in the spotlight again, but if I had to choose, I would still edit about 200 pages from that book before I would touch AFfC. There were some chapters in ADWD that just felt entirely unnecessary, even some from characters I loved, while in AFfC, there were chapters I didn't particularly like but still thought they served a better purpose.

Also, does anyone at all care about the Iron Islands, other than Asha and Theon? Anyone? I'd like to know because I can't stand those dour people and I don't enjoy that plot at all.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:05 pm

If you're talking about Tyrion in ADWD, ugh, yes, way too much.

I kind of care about the Iron Islands in that someone pointed out to me that
Spoiler:
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I think someone involved with the tv show thinks that the Iron Islands are a big deal too, because they keep referring to 2 wars in the past 17 years - meaning that Balon Greyjoy's rebellion would have been considered a war (I think).

Laurelin_kit, I thought
Spoiler:

Do any of you think that the series will really end in the next two books?

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Like the character, but running around endlessly in circles in the woods is boring.

I love everything about Arya's story in ACOK and ASOS, namely her relationship with Gendry. Yeah, I'm an Arya/Gendry shipper. Yes I realize she's 10. No, I do not care.

I'm in the group who liked AFfC, if I had waited years for it, I probably wouldn't view it as fondly, but to me I didn't perceive it as hugely disappointing or anything. ADWD though was much more frustrating, like it was Martin's "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" moment. As Buffy would say Jump to the Chase!

At this point though my favoritest character is Davos, he is just so damn AWESOME and heartbreaking, and smart, and brave, and loyal and I swear if Martin doesn't let him finish his story happy I will RIOT.

Also would anyone be interested in splitting this into ASOIF (SPOILERS) thread and general GRRM thread?

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:43 pm

BreezyK wrote:
Laurelin_kit, I thought
Spoiler:

Shit, I meant Aeron Damphair. Clearly I don't love the salty bastards enough to keep their names straight. Victarion is hilariously awful though.
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:56 pm

OMG, the Iron Islanders are the worst. I don't care about the iron price or the Drowned God or the Storm God or their salt wives or their nuncles or anything at all about them. They are so boring.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  NewYorkStranger Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:57 pm

blixie wrote:At this point though my favoritest character is Davos, he is just so damn AWESOME and heartbreaking, and smart, and brave, and loyal and I swear if Martin doesn't let him finish his story happy I will RIOT.

Initially, I was not a huge fan of Davos, but by ADWD I realized that I actually loved him and I NEED to know what happens to him next!
NewYorkStranger
NewYorkStranger

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:00 pm

tothemax wrote:OMG, the Iron Islanders are the worst. I don't care about the iron price or the Drowned God or the Storm God or their salt wives or their nuncles or anything at all about them. They are so boring.

Someone on tumblr said they become more entertaining if you replace all mentions of "Seastone Chair" with "Fish n Chips Chair."
laurelin_kit
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:24 pm

I would definitely be up for a SPOILERS thread, given that the show is becoming more popular and more folks are picking up the books.

Also, blix, I continue to love your love for Davos, because I know plenty of people who like him but not many who have him as a favorite, and he deserves to be more people's favorite. He's so nice.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 pm

I love him too. I feel like there has to be at least one character who doesn't at least kind of suck in these novels.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 am

Count me among the Davos lovers. I just want him to be safe with his family is that too much to ask? (In these books probably yes.)

I actually started to almost like
Spoiler:
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I am really enjoying these books BUT because they are so long it has become rough going, because all of the other books I want to read are calling out to me. I feel like I should read them consecutively, though.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:52 pm

ActonBell which book are you on now? I read the first three fairly quickly because I had to know what happened, but then took a break before starting AFFC (which I knew would not feature all the characters that I loved). I read AFFC and ADWD right after each other because that's when they became available from the library. I feel there's a LOT of plot that happens in the first 3, less so in the last 2.

Also, I would be happy to see the threads split up, I was just mimicking what I remembered from SF 3.0. Would one be spoiler free?

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:16 pm

I am right at the beginning of AFFC.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Like the character, but running around endlessly in circles in the woods is boring.

I love everything about Arya's story in ACOK and ASOS, namely her relationship with Gendry. Yeah, I'm an Arya/Gendry shipper. Yes I realize she's 10. No, I do not care.

Don't Gendry and Arya seperate late in book 2/early in book 3? I like them too actually . . . just I'd like them better if there was less wandering around in the woods. :) I wish they hadn't cast the guy so old in the show.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next