Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stars I Hate

+90
Lurker
jstilwe
The Glen
themis
year of the cat
Paris, Texas
puddingcup
Wildog27
epudom
Skyblade
Snarryfan
BloozyTunes
Morning Angel
Sheli
MLIS
Coneycat
gannetguts
Binky
Never Enough
Red Wolf
Raksha
Swarley
slmader
salamandersam
Genevieve
caerbannog
Lily Rose
curryalley
lisa
eco
dinahmoe
Evil Lincoln
mayram
particle_person
Agent Sculder
Pop'n'Fresh
katha
QueenSix
Grainne Mhaol
bbridges
bookworm
Rhilin
Matinee
katesti
dreago
mandalaya
nikita
sagitare
punzy
Carrie Ann
sen3
easybreezy
bosoxgirl
dionneshea
Jude
punkysdilemma
blooey
Unlucky Bear
Decca
sunni94
Putli Bai
TiffanyNichelle
PrincessCleo
Cutebutpsycho
laddical
Raised by wolves
The Dude
Melk
whatthedeuce
Jasmine
Poubelle
ariadne
swsa
Cynara
biakbiak
Instant Monkeys
big chicken
blixie
inversed
Kiran
ActonBell
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
naughty zoot
Eris Rising
Miss Moneypenny
maxell131313
Crowbridge
tothemax
mokey75
94 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Stars I Hate - Page 5 Empty Re: Stars I Hate

Post  Kiran Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:52 pm

He wrote Think Like a Man and Act Like a Lady, and once had a why interracial relationships are awful pow wow with Jill Scott (whom I loved before that) so yeah, I'd say asshole.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:22 pm

interracial relationships are awful pow wow with Jill Scott

Imma gonna keep lovin' Jill Scott and pretend I never heard this.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Oh yeah, every time I see Jill Scott I think of the problem she has with interracial relationships.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:03 pm

whaa? I thought she was over all that. I mean, her and Paul Wall in that cool video?

Anyway. I also do not like Steve Harvey.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:47 am

Doesn't Common also have a problem with interracial relationships? I could swear I read that a long time ago, and I'll feel really bad if I'm actually mistaken and have wrongfully held that against him all these years.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah hes said hes slept with non black women but never dated them because it shows a lack of self love. I think Common is hot and talented but also a jackass since I heard that.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:19 am

Well, I'm glad I haven't partly disliked him all these years for no reason!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  easybreezy Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't know where to put this, so I'm going to put it here.

I have a love-hate relationship with Penn Jillette.

His "Penn's Sunday School" is at least good for some laughs, and he's amusing and funny and smart (though not nearly as smart as he thinks he is but acts like "oh, I'm not very smart"*), but SHUT UP about being an atheist. We get it, you're an atheist. Oh, and did I mention I know you're an atheist?

I have zero problems with atheists, heck, people assume I'm one and based on the ones I know, I find it pretty flattering. I just hate it when anyone parades anything around like it's the greatest thing: your kid (side-eye to Beyonce and Jay-Z), your doctorate, your really cool car, if you smoke pot or drink (welcome back to high school, Justin Timberlake), your this that or the other. We heard you the first time. Now stop being boring and talk about something else.

*Actually, I harbor a certain amount of hatred for all rich and famous people who do the self-depreciating thing in interviews, ever. It comes off as insincere and all "oh my goodness, please love me, I'm such a broken little bird". You don't have to be an overconfident asshole, but you're famous for a reason, so give it a rest.

easybreezy

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Welcome to the list Daniel Tosh.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but rape IS. NOT. FUNNY. Not now, not ever. And all these other comics saying that it's just comedy and he has a right to say whatever he wants during his routine? I call BS. They've either never known someone who's experienced such a violent, brutal crime, or they are mentally sick.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 pm

I've only seen that show once, at the gym, but he was featuring tweets of office gossip or something from his followers. And out of all the tweets he could have chosen, he included one that was INCREDIBLY racist. What a assbag.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 pm

The thing that's bothering me the most about all the defense of Tosh is that his defenders are acting like the issue is that he makes jokes about rape, and they believe no topic is off-limits to comedy. I sort of agree with that. But that's not the issue. The issue is that, when challenged by a female audience member, his immediate and automatic response was to suggest in front of a large, hostile audience that she should be raped, by five men, because that would be hilarious. It was threatening and fucking disgusting. That is the issue. I can't believe that there are still people out there trying to claim that he is NOT the misogynistic asshole most of us have known him to be for a long time.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:37 pm

That is exactly it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 pm

What Carrie Ann said. That's a shitty retort. And all of his defenders going "FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!" fail to see one thing: We also have the freedom of speech to criticize. You don't have the right to silence us.

I swear, with this, what's going on in politics regarding women, Felicia Day, the Women vs Gamer Tropes, etc., I feel like we've suddenly backtracked to the 1950s. What the hell is going on?
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Plus, and take this with a large grain salt as I'm not really into standup comedy, but for all this blathering about how no topic should be off-limits to comedians, I've yet to hear a joke about rape that was actually funny. I'm bummed about Tosh doing this vile thing. I actually kind of like him in small doses. I watched an EXTREMELY VULGAR skit on Tosh.0 over the weekend and laughed until I cried.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:22 am

I'm not sure I can think of a joke that's really about rape that is funny, but I think of things like "Anal-Rapist" from Arrested Development or Darryl Hammond's Sean Connery calling for "The Rapists" category on SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy, and I don't think "rape" in general should be off-limits. A few people mentioned that Todd Glass apparently has a guideline that if you're going to make a joke about a sensitive topic, it needs to be funnier than it is offensive or mean. I think that's a good guideline that would prevent jokes coming from really cruel places.

But again, it's not that he tells rape jokes. A lot of comedians do, including people I generally like, and they don't get this much attention for it. Because if you hear someone like Donald Glover tell a rape joke, and you find it offensive, you probably just stop listening to his stand up. Maybe you boycott him altogether if you really feel strongly about it. Maybe you spread the word on social media. Whatever. It still wouldn't gain as much traction as this has because Tosh went way over the line by attacking an individual in person, in a violent and scary way. The fact that so many people (women included!) don't seem to get that is just evidence of how misogynist our culture is by default. People don't even find it disturbing that a man would do that to a woman. Of course he would. She annoyed him.

ETA: Ugh, just caught up on the last six hours of Twitter and saw a lot of new people defending a rich, famous, white man from all this oppression. The list now includes: Louis CK, Patton Oswalt, Kumail Nanjiani, Morgan Murphy, Anthony Jeselnik, Kyle Kinane, Doug Stanhope, Rob Delaney.

Last edited by Carrie Ann on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 pm

That list makes me sad.

I think Todd Glass' rule is a good one. Especially since working in a comedy theater you occasionally get comics who apparently think offensive and funny are the same thing.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:51 pm

So, what I take from this incident is that stand-up comedians, by and large, are the biggest fucking babies in the world who can dish it out but can't take it. Y/N?
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Has there been any corroboration of her version of the event vs his and Jamie Masada's version?
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:35 pm

queenofdenile wrote:So, what I take from this incident is that stand-up comedians, by and large, are the biggest fucking babies in the world who can dish it out but can't take it. Y/N?
Based on recent evidence alone, YES.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:The thing that's bothering me the most about all the defense of Tosh is that his defenders are acting like the issue is that he makes jokes about rape, and they believe no topic is off-limits to comedy. I sort of agree with that. But that's not the issue. The issue is that, when challenged by a female audience member, his immediate and automatic response was to suggest in front of a large, hostile audience that she should be raped, by five men, because that would be hilarious. It was threatening and fucking disgusting. That is the issue. I can't believe that there are still people out there trying to claim that he is NOT the misogynistic asshole most of us have known him to be for a long time.
Exactly. It's like the Michael Richards situation and someone who pushes the envelope as much as Tosh does should be used to some blowback on his bits.

Part of the deviding line is also like Tropic Thunder. They weren't making fun of mentally challenged people, they were making fun of self absorbed actors who play mentally challenged people to win awards.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Yeah. I've read a lot of responses and blog posts and whatever about it, and a good point that keeps coming up is that you can (in theory) use humor to talk about anything, but it's a power dynamic--are you using humor to talk about something that's wrong to satirize it or make things better, or are you using "humor" to put someone down and make things worse? A long while back, didn't Craig Ferguson say he was going to stop doing Britney jokes for a similar reason?

Whatever Tosh was saying before the interruption, "Wouldn't it be funny if..." took it to an indefensible place. IMO.

(I kind of loathe him regardless.)
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 am

Carrie Ann wrote:The thing that's bothering me the most about all the defense of Tosh is that his defenders are acting like the issue is that he makes jokes about rape, and they believe no topic is off-limits to comedy. I sort of agree with that. But that's not the issue. The issue is that, when challenged by a female audience member, his immediate and automatic response was to suggest in front of a large, hostile audience that she should be raped, by five men, because that would be hilarious. It was threatening and fucking disgusting. That is the issue. I can't believe that there are still people out there trying to claim that he is NOT the misogynistic asshole most of us have known him to be for a long time.

You hit the nail on the head. I've always hated him so this whole thing has not surprised me. The people defending him make me sad for humanity.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:34 am

The Onion has a typically pointed take: Daniel Tosh Chuckles Through Own Violent Rape. Trigger warning, should anyone need it.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:23 pm

The Onion has a typically pointed take: Daniel Tosh Chuckles Through Own Violent Rape. Trigger warning, should anyone need it.

Whoa. That was more pointed - and perhaps "in-your-face" or even "hostile" convey the violence better - than I usually notice from The Onion. And underlines the point for me that the act of rape isn't funny to me, probably no matter how skilled the comedian (this doesn't include comedic wordplay like those noted earlier in this thread like TheRapists), and violent rape really, really isn't funny, not even with loads of irony involved. I wonder if that was intentional on the part of The Onion writers.

I've never liked Tosh and am not surprised that he would suggest violent rape would be HI-larious. Apparently he has apologized, although not sufficiently in my opinion.
mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:36 pm

I hate Taylor Swift.

I hate the way a huge chunk of her identity is built around the kind of girl she isn't: "I don't party! I'm not like all those bimbo starlets who get drunk and flash their girl parts in limos!" Big fuckin' deal, Taylor- MOST people don't do that. Girls like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan are the exception, not the rule. Get over yourself.

I also hate the way she is praised for "honest" songwriting when all she does is whine about cheerleader types and take shots at her ex-boyfriends. She writes her own songs? Give her a cookie. Too bad they sound every bit as lame and formulaic as the next pop star's.

One more thing, and it's minor, but it bugs: I remember reading an old magazine interview where she said people thought she dressed like a "freak" in high school because she wore sundresses and cowboy boots. What? You grew up "country", but you were a freak for dressing that way? MY ASS. She has no right to complain about being a freak when she has always been blonde, perky, and cute. She could have worn a potato sack and still would have been the envy of every girl in school, so she can STFU about not feeling pretty.

Okay, I feel better. Apologies to anyone who actually likes Taylor, but I just can't stand the girl.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next