Stars I Hate

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Stars I Hate

Post  The Glen on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm

ActonBell wrote:Lily Allen made me feel sick with her "joke"/response to the allegations. I feel so sad for Dylan, because even now Woody has people lining up to defend him because of his position as a filmmaker.

Wow, someone's just shown her true colours.

You know, you can argue that Woody Allen was never convicted of anything, and that's true, but when abuse victims speak out and people still, in this day and age, line up to stone them it's nothing short of disgusting.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:26 pm

And then there's this vile article.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:53 pm

So someone does a documentary on Woody and likes him, therefore he can't be a child molester? I hate to break it to that guy, but child molesters can be perfectly charming. How many times have we heard, "I can't believe this happened, he/she always seemed so nice"?

Also, no, Soon-Yi wasn't actually Woody's daughter, but she was a teenager when he took nude pictures of her. Is it really so hard to believe that the man who did that might have molested his adopted daughter? Really? Woody is a brilliant filmmaker, sure, but that doesn't mean he's immune to being a very sick man. He's always had a thing for young, vulnerable girls. Before we dismiss what Dylan has to say, let's look at what's what, here.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I can't with his defense of the Soon-Yi relationship being that she didn't consider Woody a father figure, she just "saw him as her mother's boyfriend". Oh. Well that's obviously fine then. No ooky boundary crossing there at all.

I will never understand why anyone thinks Woody Allen, of all people, deserves the benefit of the doubt. I mean, the one time judging a book by it's cover might actually come in handy...

But really how can anyone look at his relationship with Soon-Yi (who he met when she was TEN) and think "now there's a guy I just can't imagine ever having an inappropriate relationship with a little girl"?

And there's something so gross and condescending in people being so desperate to believe Dylan is just a brainwashed tool of her evil mother. Because THAT scenario totally happens way more often than a man with a known penchant for liking extremely young girls sexually abusing a young girl.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:56 pm

I've been creeped out by Woody Allen ever since Manhattan, in which he plays a 40-something man having an relationship with high schooler Mariel Hemingway, circa 1980.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 am

Me too. Manhattan's when I started side-eying him. When the story came out about Soon-Yi, and then about Dylan, I never had any doubt that it was true. He's just so so gross.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:54 am

I knew a girl who was being abused by her dad. He followed us- the nine-year olds, from room to room, saying nothing. Just watching. It came out during the divorce, and he spent her whole life telling she was crazy, made it up, until she believed him. Last year her cousin came forward. Plus two others we know about. I get the same feeling looking at Woody as I used to get with that guy. An intellectual, self-absorbed personality like that doesn't follow around a little girl at a birthday party and ignore all the adults who have actual conversation skills. He was stalking, plain and simple. I don't blame people that don't see it, really, because until you can identify what you are looking at, its not going to jump out at you. Woody is playing a jazzy soundtrack, so unless you know it's actually a Hitchcock score the scene just keeps looking innocent. If he wants to clear his name there are a billion polygraphs out there. Some people are falsely accused, but Woody is Mayor of Creeptown IMO.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:59 am

Didn't he take a lie detector test in 1992?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:08 am

The VF article states that Woody took a test, but does not state if the results were conclusive for either side.
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:13 pm

naughty zoot wrote:And then there's this vile article.

Wow, that is hideous. Like, Woody Allen should ask that guy to stop being on his side.

swsa wrote:I can't with his defense of the Soon-Yi relationship being that she didn't consider Woody a father figure, she just "saw him as her mother's boyfriend". Oh. Well that's obviously fine then. No ooky boundary crossing there at all.

Right. There is nothing about the Soon-Yi story that suggests he had inappropriate relationships with A) underage girls and B) Mia's children. They should cite that story more often to exonerate him. Ugh, it's all so creepy.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 pm

There is good piece in Salon about compartmentalizing art v. artist, and the collective will to denial about sexual abuse in general and pedophilia in particular. It's hard enough to face up to the fact that you liked (and *identified*) with the work of a man who is a pedophile, but let's say you worked right next to him for years, chose to work with, or were in the social circle of a pedophile for YEARS. It's a weird sense of collective responsibility facilitating the very complicity you are trying to dodge.

I've probably watched five of his movies since 1992 when this initially happened, and I feel like his work has been unbelievably middle brow ever since, as well as his whole filmography being tainted in the more meta sense.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  slmader on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:30 pm

year of the cat wrote:The VF article states that Woody took  a test, but does not state if the results were conclusive for either side.

For what it's worth, I saw an article that stated he passed the test, and Mia refused to take one.

slmader

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Crowbridge wrote:Didn't he take a lie detector test in 1992?

Given the ongoing controversy around the accuracy of those tests and what they actually measure, it probably doesn't matter if he did.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:06 pm

blixie wrote:There is good piece in Salon about compartmentalizing art v. artist, and the collective will to denial about sexual abuse in general and pedophilia in particular. It's hard enough to face up to the fact that you liked (and *identified*) with the work of a man who is a pedophile, but let's say you worked right next to him for years, chose to work with, or were in the social circle of a pedophile for YEARS. It's a weird sense of collective responsibility facilitating the very complicity you are trying to dodge.
Yeah, I mean, at my previous job, a very respected senior partner was arrested (and ultimately tried and convicted) for sexual assault on a minor and it was interesting to see the various responses, and the progression from "Somehow this must not be true" to "OK, it's true, but can I still support him somehow?" to "Well, I hope that 18 years in prison does the trick to help him with his demons." And if the evidence had not been so unassailable, I think some people would have never believed it, even with the testimony of his victim, etc.

As far as the lie detector for Woody, after reading that VF article a couple of months ago, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that his legal team had control of that environment. They managed to control or interfere in every other aspect of that investigation, so why not that?

I've never been a fan of his, so this isn't difficult for me, but I truly could never see him or his films again and it would be too soon.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:18 pm

Coneycat wrote:

Given the ongoing controversy around the accuracy of those tests and what they actually measure, it probably doesn't matter if he did.
Exactly. They are pseudoscience, and I really wish they'd be recognized as such and not allowed in court cases, personnel decisions, etc.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:23 pm

particle_person wrote:
Coneycat wrote:

Exactly. They are pseudoscience, and I really wish they'd be recognized as such and not allowed in court cases, personnel decisions, etc.

I'm not sure I'd say they're pseudoscience per se (physiological reactivity can indicate someone is lying), but indeed, they are way too unreliable to gamble someone's freedom/conviction on it.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 pm

(physiological reactivity can indicate someone is lying)
No, not so much. (First sentence of the abstract, too.) That paper has been influential in discrediting polygraph tests.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:30 pm

particle_person wrote:
(physiological reactivity can indicate someone is lying)
No, not so much. (First sentence of the abstract, too.) That paper has been influential in discrediting polygraph tests.

I know, I've read some of the literature on this.  I wasn't saying there was a typical pattern for everyone; there isn't. It's always a comparative analysis of physiological activation during control questions vs. probing questions.  The idea is that if you can detect changes in physiological reactivity between control & probing questions, it may indicate lying.   However, it's not a reliable method (too many false positives & false negatives)  For example, some people (such as those with antisocial personality disorder, for example) tend to show muted physiological responses so polygraphs are completely useless for some of the most hardened criminals.

Believe me, I'm not defending polygraphs; I was just saying it wasn't totally airy-fairy.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:41 am

I think this Molly Lambert article gets to a good point about the power dynamics. Both the ones that existed then, now, and always. I especially like the way she describes the Daily Beast article as Wiede as saying "Woody's always been cool to me" and how ridiculous that is.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:34 am

bbridges wrote:I think this Molly Lambert article gets to a good point about the power dynamics. Both the ones that existed then, now, and always. I especially like the way she describes the Daily Beast article as Wiede as saying "Woody's always been cool to me" and how ridiculous that is.
Ugh...don't read the comments. Just don't do it.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:42 am

Like the Duck Dynasty controversy, if I can opt to dislike their work because their over exposed, not a fan of reality TV, written out, pretentious, not funny... finding the person behind it reprehensible would seem like a valid reason.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Stephen King apparently regrets weighing in on the Farrow/Allen situation via Twitter. Yeah, Steve, who among us hasn't tweeted something misogynistic cause Twitter is so hard to figure out?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:02 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Stephen King apparently regrets weighing in on the Farrow/Allen situation via Twitter. Yeah, Steve, who among us hasn't tweeted something misogynistic cause Twitter is so hard to figure out?
No, Steve, don't do that! I like you! *sadface*

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:30 pm

naughty zoot wrote:Stephen King apparently regrets weighing in on the Farrow/Allen situation via Twitter. Yeah, Steve, who among us hasn't tweeted something misogynistic cause Twitter is so hard to figure out?

We all say stupid things we later regret though.   I'm not saying it was appropriate & he probably should have put his keyboard away if he didn't have anything of actual substance to add.  He should have also apologized for his choice of words.  I'm just fatigued of people being branded "the worst person ever" over a stupid Twitter comment.  I'm not saying you said or did that, but that's the feeling I get from reading that article.  I would like to think that "Worst Person Ever" should be reserved for people who actually do some really crap things like in this case, Woody Allen.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Morning Angel wrote:

We all say stupid things we later regret though.   I'm not saying it was appropriate & he probably should have put his keyboard away if he didn't have anything of actual substance to add.  He should have also apologized for his choice of words.  I'm just fatigued of people being branded "the worst person ever" over a stupid Twitter comment.  I'm not saying you said or did that, but that's the feeling I get from reading that article.  I would like to think that "Worst Person Ever" should be reserved for people who actually do some really crap things like in this case, Woody Allen.
I agree.  I've lived long enough to know people say stupid things sometimes.  I'm not going to put him on a permanent shit-list for that.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top