Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sims

+9
Eris Rising
Case
Agent_Squeaks
Rhilin
skittlebox
Jude
Jamie
Instant Monkeys
pizzagirl20
13 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Sims   - Page 3 Empty Re: The Sims

Post  Case Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:09 am

I've finally created a Case Sim. Which is odd. So very,very odd.
Case
Case

https://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:08 pm

You're a brave, brave soul, Case!

My latest neighborhood centers on a couple of brothers named Jesse and James (yes, I'm completely lame because I just realized the connection as I typed it). James is a firefighter, which is the first time I've ever had one of those in a game. It's hilarious! He uses "I'm a firefighter" as a pick-up line in his Romantic interactions, which literally made me LOL since I know someone who loved to brag that her significant other was a firefighter back when he was one.

Firefighting is one of those professions that enable you to follow the sim at work. Since I didn't realize that, I generally just stayed with the rest of the family while James did his thing. But then I discovered that I could actually control what he was doing at work -- or try, anyway -- so I started following him. It turned out he was a total slacker at the firehouse, ignoring the alarm bells as he'd sit and read his favorite book for the millionth time. So I forced him to put out small house fires, and that wasn't too much of a problem. Your sim gets graded on how fast he (or she) reacts and puts out the fires, and with small house fires (and me forcing him), he got A's. But then came the disasters, and with those, no matter what I did, I couldn't get him to do his damn job. On the first one, he tried to go home instead of going to the scene of the disaster, and by the time I'd caught him, he was already at C. He managed to get a D in the end, but only just. The second disaster was impossible. I couldn't get him to do what I wanted, no matter how many times I attempted to force him. He'd half-heartedly try extinguishing the flames, but then he'd quit and start playing on his smartphone or start to go home again. So though he'd arrived at the disaster in time for an A, by the time I finally quit trying to make him do what he was supposed to, he was already at a D.

His brother Jesse is just as bad. He's a ghostbuster, and while this is as far as I've ever gotten anyone in the ghostbusting profession, it's been a struggle getting there. He sometimes will do his job without my prompting, but other times if I don't keep on his sim butt, he'll be goofing off instead of exorcising. In fact, he got fired from one of his ghostbusting gigs because he was watching television. The owner of the house was all, "You're watching television instead of getting rid of my ghosts? Go do your job!" And again, I tried forcing him but he was having none of it. She finally told him he was fired and that he was a disgrace to the ghostbusting profession, where "it's hard enough to be taken seriously!" So he went home, and it didn't even affect his mood.

Both of them have recently gotten married and both had bachelor parties. James' party was very successful, but Jesse's party rated a "dull," even though sims were up dancing on the kitchen counters and passing out drunk on the floor! What's with that?? And poor Lark, James' lovely wife, is constantly being "berated for ignorance" by both James and Jesse, which really puts the drop on their relationship points.

Also, Jesse was quite the ladies' man before he settled with his current wife, so he has a reputation of "manipulator," for some reason. I find it interesting that even though Jesse was single when he was dating multiple girls, he had the "naughty" reputation. Once he met Lily, though, he stopped going out or flirting with anyone else. Yet there's a "Confess to cheating" in his wheel even though he's never cheated on her!

So anyway, do any of you ever feel that it's hard to keep up with all you can do in this game? There's so much I'd like to try, but the "hours" fly by so quickly that before I know it, it's too late to do what I want to with them. Between learning their skills, taking classes, interacting with their families and friends, and going to their jobs, I don't have any time to try other things. It's frustrating, and it's also no wonder once I start playing, I don't stop until I'm ready to pass out.

Oh, and a warning from one who's found out the hard way: Do not delete a sim because he or she is stuck because you'll almost never get them back. James and Lark's first son was stuck and no one could hold him; whenever I'd try, their action would be cancelled out. So I deleted the baby, thinking it was like Sims 2, where you deleted the sim and when you reopened the game, there he was at the mailbox. Not so in Sims 3. Even though he's there in the family tree (his picture's invisible but his name is there), I can't get him back no matter what I've tried. A very sad and difficult lesson to learn!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:32 pm

I know what you mean! Most of my time is spent having my Sims do housework, eating, sleeping, showering, and maintaining relationships. Despite having Free Will turned on, they really don't want to do anything but eat and play on the computer. That's my job!

Heh. I kind of dig Jesse and James. Crazy slackers.

So after having the game stuck at "Preparing Captive Simulators", I moved my Sims 2 file to my desktop to see what CC was causing the slow down. I restarted the game? And everything had reset. Blerg. I'm going to copy and paste my CC into the new Documents/EA Games/Sims 2 File bit by bit to try and figure out what's causing the holdup.
Grr. I'm ready to move Vampire Eric and Vampire Bill into a nice two-bedroom Spanish Missionary style home. I've also got an appropriately vacuous looking Barbie to move into a cute Dream Home.

Also? I didn't know that if you have Nightlife you could see the rest of the neighborhood from each Sim's home, instead of that Twilight Zone-y grey void. I'm going to try it out.
I've seen people's videos and pics, and it looks awesome.

Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Hee hee hee. My sim works at the hospital as a resident. I selected the option for her to home visit a patient to check up on them. Her patient? A dog. He was very appreciative though I must say.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:05 pm

I didn't know you could make house calls in the medical profession, Melk! I haven't had a doctor in forever in my game. I keep getting the Ghostbuster career want, which...enough already. It gets old, know what I mean?

I decided to start yet another new game (I do so love this feature of Sims 3), though I haven't abandoned my Slackers neighborhood entirely. I just want to take a break for a bit, because James' household is totally out of control with kids. He already has WAY too many of them, yet he wants more. At this point, what with the dog, the cat, the horse, and all the kids, I don't even have an icon for his wife Lark anymore unless I right click on her!

So for fun, I started a neighborhood where I have just one couple with every negative trait I could give them...insane, inappropriate, stupid, hot-headed, loser, etc., in addition to which I made the guy sim a werewolf. So far it's pretty hilarious, so I'm going to see where this can take me for the time being.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:16 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/26/5847212/the-sims-4-no-pools-toddlers-outrage

I guess we now have a The Sims 4: Wet and Wild pool building expansion pack to look forward to.
To be followed by EPs for Create-A-Style, aliens, toddlers, lot terraforming tools, basements,  and endless furniture packs.
I don't mind the idea of a less open world,  however, if it means a faster game.

Oh, EA.   I'll still buy TS4, but my excitement is cooling with every press release.
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 am

I completely agree, Case. I think it sucks that they're getting rid of toddlers, but the one that really bothers me is Create-a-Style, because that's probably my favorite part of Sims 3.

The genetics sound pretty amazing, although I'm not thrilled about them going to a more cartoony style sim. But I seem to be in the minority on that one, from what I've seen in the comments. Still, I too will buy it if I have the funds. It's EXPENSIVE. Keep chasing that almighty dollar, EA.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:28 pm

I think I'll be waiting a few weeks after it comes out before buying it, Jude.
I'm sure WalMart or Target will have it discounted a little by then.
The first EP I buy will be the inevitable Hot Date/Nightlife/Downtown/Yay!Vampires one.
Naturally.

I don't really mind the way the Sims look now, because I'll be downloading all new skins and hair as soon as the Modding community gets their hands on the game.
Hoping the base game isn't a buggy mess this time around.

Things I like? Multitasking! Facial and body sliders! New body types! Young adults! That pretty new neighborhood with a river in all the promos!
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:59 pm

I haven't been able to find a good article on the genetics of Sims 4. That was my favorite part of Sims 2, and why I never warmed up to 3. I need my alien breeding program!
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 pm

This probably gives the best illustration so far of genetics at work, but I wish there were more detailed articles about it. Genetics has always been the number one thing for me in these games. I'm pretty excited to see how well they did with this version.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:46 pm

That video was intriguing, I can't wait to start building dynasties again.
                                                                                                                              The new build mode looks as if everything I wanted has been added! Maybe now I won't spend ten hours working on an individual house.  Oh, hello there Bella and Mortimer!  Hmm.  I wonder if we'll see the Broke and Lothario families as well.
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:15 am

I am bummed about no toddlers and bummed about pools, but MOSTLY BUMMED ABOUT NO CREATE-A-STYLE, WTF? That's my happy place, picking out sim outfits and editing the colors and patterns. Super, SUPER disappointed about that.

Also, the fact that the teens will be the same height as adults. COME ON. How are you supposed to even tell who's a teen anymore?

I'm getting more and more let down as more stuff comes out. Also they had said before that they were releasing a Mac version and now they're not saying whether they are or aren't. It just feels like they're going backwards, and I KNOW it's a base game but it seems like a pre-Sims 2 base game. No open worlds either? On the other hand, RESOURCE HOGGING is Sims 3's major problem, obviously, so maybe, HOPEFULLY that will be a little better in 4. When you have a bunch of people walking around who are all the same height wearing all the same outfits. GRUMBLE.

I hope people are still ABLE to mod. I guess someone will crack it; they always do. I'm not ready to depend on EA's color/style choices, thanks. (If I have to make clothes in Photoshop though, well, I'm way better at Photoshop than I used to be, so that could be OK.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:01 pm

I wanted to share this thread from ModtheSims with you guys. It's making me literally laugh out loud, which is definitely not good when you're manning a library circulation desk.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:32 pm

I had this on pre-order, but since some of the stuff that's been revealed lately I've cancelled it. I was really glad that I didn't buy the last SimCity game straight out the gate, and while I hope this isn't that bad I still feel pretty wary. The sheer naked avarice of EA has gotten a little too blatant for my liking, I can't help feeling they're releasing the most basic of base games just so they can then charge yet more money for expansion packs to actually complete the damn thing.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Jude wrote:This probably gives the best illustration so far of genetics at work, but I wish there were more detailed articles about it. Genetics has always been the number one thing for me in these games. I'm pretty excited to see how well they did with this version.

Thanks, Jude, that's what I wanted - if you breed two Sims together, you will get a combination of their genetics, not just some random baby.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Jude wrote:I wanted to share this thread from ModtheSims with you guys. It's making me literally laugh out loud, which is definitely not good when you're manning a library circulation desk.
This is very cathartic for me.
Mummies sleep in sarcophogii! Vampires in coffins! Fairies have their own little flowers to sleep in!! Zombies retire for the night in their very own graves!!! Werewolves have super comfy dog beds.... you'll love watching them curl up to have a snooze! Unfortunately, there seems to now be a difficulty with regular beds, but we hope to have a patch out for that in roughly six months. In the meantime, you can download the "fugliest bed" from the store, since it seems to still work. It's bundled with the "Routing Issues Special Edition" world which comes with 4 chairs, 2 hot tubs, an awning, and the premium content rutabaga which is not a part of any recipe. Only $20 for the next 15 minutes, then it will go to regular price of $29.99 including 2.6645 bonus simpoints!!!!
Routing Issues Special Edition World. Heeeee.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 pm

http://segmentnext.com/2014/07/05/sims-4-toddlers-pools-cut-ensure-larger-features/

The MTS forum mentioned in the article is breathtakingly snarky and aggressive towards poor little EA's SimGurus.

You mean the boneheaded decision to make TS4 a mutiplayer was unwise, and now you are scrambling to finish the off-line version?  But in the meantime we should ooh and aah over the Tram and river, even if we can't actually have our Sims use them?  

Lets add story progression, burglars, ghosts, multiple neighborhoods, and aliens to the list of things that are definitely missing.   I'll be buying Apartment Life off of Amazon in the meantime.

ETA: Enjoy the snark.
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=527481&c=1&ht=&page=170&pp=25#startcomment
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:37 pm

The more I read about this, the more disappointed I become. I think the worst thing is to hear that Graham guy say that they didn't include things because (basically) it's too hard. So they include trams and trains that don't work, because that's easy.

People are going to buy this game no matter what, that's true. But at this point, I don't think I'm going to be one of them.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:36 pm

New* gameplay video.

I don't know. *sigh* I mean, I'll probably still get it. ...If it ever comes out for Mac.

*Or, kinda new; apparently this is a demo that they showed a month or so ago, just not publicly.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:New* gameplay video.

I don't know. *sigh* I mean, I'll probably still get it. ...If it ever comes out for Mac.

*Or, kinda new; apparently this is a demo that they showed a month or so ago, just not publicly.

Oh.  The new angular Sims look fine in CAS, but here?  They look..off.  It looks like an iPad game, not the fourth sequel to "The Sims".
There are going to be some disappointed people on day one.

ETA:The music, however? EXQUISITE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsrsJEQUvY
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:33 pm

OK, Sims 2-ers. AND I KNOW YOU ARE IN HERE.

Bad news: They're not going to support the game anymore. (HAVE THEY EVER SUPPORTED IT THOUGH? Oy.)

Good news: If you have ever bought it, they will "upgrade" you to Sims 2: ALL THE THINGS. (Not stuff packs I guess, but expansion packs.) It says only if you bought it digitally, but it seems they will honor games bought in the box as well.

I'm not sure if this is going to be the case for the Mac versions or not (since they were released by Aspyr). I have been thinking of just installing Sims 2 on my laptop via the discs, actually. But for those of you on Windows, have at it.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:08 pm

Me!! (Although I haven't played it in over a year..at least.) I can't find any Sims 2 games in my Origin account probably because I bought everything on disk..but I did register all my Sims 2 games back when I got them. I don't care if I have to wait till the 23rd to get it, as long as I get it, because I'm hoping I can finally play my beloved Sims 2 on Windows 7, which I haven't been able to do since I got my new computer a year ago.

Thanks, Instant Monkeys! Great news! I'm kind of wondering why EA is being so generous, though...

Also interesting is that when checking my Origin account, I see I have the demo in there for Sims 4 Create-a-Sim, so I guess I'll go ahead and try that.

Edited to say...yeah. No.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 am

OK.  I have my Sims 2 Store edition registered , and its been added to Origin.  
I'm just waiting for further instructions from EA. I'd love to have the Ultimate Collection as I've never had Bon Voyage, Pets, Apartment Life, Free Time, or any of the Stuff Packs.
Its time for Mulder and Scully to go on vacation!

Especially now that Mulder might leave Scully for Knowle "ROAR" Rorher.  Things are..strained. Naturally, as Scully keeps catching them in the hot tub. Every day!
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:46 am

Oh that Mulder...such a cad. I'm so excited that you're getting the Ultimate Collection, Case! It will be really interesting to hear what you think of the expansions. I think it was Free Time that added some new interactions and behaviors that I liked a lot, and that's one of the things I missed so much in Sims 3. I just never found the Sims 3 sims to be as fun and full of personality as the Sims 2 sims were. I'm really keeping my fingers and everything else crossed that I can get the collection too and that it will play on Windows 7, because I really miss playing it.

In other news, I played the Sims 4 demo for about an hour, and I can't say I was impressed. The whole pushing and pulling thing to adjust faces and bodies seemed tiresome because for me it wasn't all that easy to use. There were many times when I got frustrated because I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. And I missed Create-a-Style SO much, even more than I expected to. There just aren't enough color options for hair, eyes and clothing, at least for me, and the fact that I couldn't design my own annoyed me to no end. I guess I'm spoiled, but the lack of that ability seems like a severe downgrade to me.

In the end, the sims I made looked okay, but nothing all that special. The options for hairstyles are kind of typically EA, as are the clothing choices. A few were usable, and that's about the most I can say for them. The makeup was really disappointing.

Of course, making sims in CAS is not the same as playing the game, but in all honesty, if I'd pre-ordered Sims 4 I would have canceled the order, based on this demo. It's just not impressive enough for me to shell out the kind of money they're asking for this thing. Maybe some day if they reduce the price a lot, and improvements have been made through patches and expansions -- or through modders -- I might consider it. And I'll probably play with the demo some more now that I have it, just to see if I like it any better with more experience. But for now, I'm sticking with Sims 3 and hopefully 2.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 am

I'm not getting Sims 4. I'll stick with 3 while they're still supporting it, and if they don't come out with something better by the time that that stops, I'll just keep playing that (or, more probably, allow it to sit there on my computer untouched once I've run out of interest). Too bad, I was looking forward to this.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum