The Sims

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Sims

Post  Case on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Jude and Eris, I was looking forward to it as well.   This time last year I was dancing with anticipation.  Now, every new thing I see from the game only depresses me.

Maybe once there are patches, tons of CC hair, skins, clothes, objects,  new terrain to replace the painted on grass and plastic trees, and mods to remove the BLOOM that makes Sims glow...I'll think about it.  
It will still be a multi-platform MMO  (Graphics designed for smartphones. It really shows!) with its online features disabled, however.  No amount of EPs and patches can fix that.   I find the CAS underwhelming and clunky.  Sooo bored with all the pushing and pulling.  

I am super excited about the Ultimate Collection.  There's a mod on Mod The Sims that replaces all the neighborhoods/worlds with an uber-hood.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=301194
 It connects all the Maxis hoods to a Pleasantview as shopping districts  so your Sims can interact with every neighborhood and NPC townie.
Not quite Sims 3's open world, but close enough.   I think Lilith Pleasant would be great paired off with Tank Grunt.  I could also expand my half-alien breeding program to the entire Sims 2 universe!  Best of all? Don Lothario can sleep with EVERYONE.

ETA: I'm a major Sim geek. I have every radio song from 1 to 3 (Half of them in my 2 already), and I think Ilan Eshkeri's beautiful score for 4 will be replacing the music in my Sims 2 game.
Case

http://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Sorry for the post right after my last one, however...THE SIMS 2 ULTIMATE COLLECTION  is downloading to Origin! Every EP and SP.  * Sim fistpump of excitement*

Its easy to get, just follow these steps!
http://help.ea.com/au/article/how-to-get-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:28 pm

I got all excited about that yesterday too. It's only for Windows, but I have a Windows install so I went to download it yesterday. Unfortunately it's something like 12.5GB, and I have something like 12.6GB remaining in my Windows partition. Oh well. It's still VERY COOL that they're doing it (even if it's a reaction to the bad buzz around Sims 4 -- I have no idea whether it is or not, but it doesn't seem out of the question). I'm thinking about installing all my discs on the Mac side though...
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:23 pm

The only positive side effect that I can see to Sims 4 is the discounting of Sims 3 stuff, but with the negative reaction so far, I'm wondering just how steep a discount that will end up being.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm

I have Sims 2 back on my computer! YAY! And I definitely have you to thank for it, Instant Monkeys, so THANKS!

It works fine, although there are black rectangles under each character, which is weird. I looked it up, and it seems that problem has to do with the shadows setting, so I'm going to have to adjust that. I got home so late from work last night that I didn't have time to do a whole lot of playing after downloading it, but I did try out a trial generic family I made just to get back into the swing of using the game again. It's odd how much I've forgotten about it, even though I used to play it all the time. But after having played Sims 3 all this time instead, it seems a real re-learning experience for me playing Sims 2.

I also couldn't resist putting my universe-sized Downloads folder and Saved Sims folder back into the game and trying it with those, and it worked as well! The only problem is that right now I'm having mouse and keyboard issues, wherein my mouse/keyboard randomly decide to stop working all of a sudden. This happened before the installation, so it's not that. I'm now in the process of trying to find out exactly what it is so I can fix it and play!

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm looking forward to all your Sim stories!

Is it weird that I've already started writing out possible family trees and stories..without even playing the UC yet?

Also? There is no doubt in my mind that this is EA's way to deflect attention away from the looming Sims 4 disaster.
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Yay, I'm so glad! I will live vicariously through y'all's stories until I get around to installing it myself. (It won't be ULTIMATE, but I HAVE paid good American dollars for the majority of the expansion packs, and reading about Sims 4 has got me hankering for something besides Sims 3 but I think what I want is really more like Sims 2. So, yeah.)

How did you guys get the Sims 4 demos? I do have an Origin app on my Windows install, and I bet I would have room for that at least. I WOULD like to try it.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Instant Monkeys, I just went into my Origin program, checked under "My Games," and there it was. Have you checked that yet?

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks, Jude! I'll take a look next time I'm in there. (I have to reboot to get to my Windows stuff and, you know, I always have ten million tabs open, etc.) I think I DID look there and didn't see it, but I'm not sure, so I'll check again just in case.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 am

Melody Maddox, an aspiring journalist who looks a bit like a redheaded Cecily Tyson, has just moved into Wright Way Apartments.  It is THE place for young and hip Sims in downtown Pleasantview.  
She's already head over heels for hunky musician Connor Riordan.

I can't blame her, he's a little like a shaggier Stephen Moyer (He's a modified Bill Compton Sim).   Who could resist a violet eyed bad boy rocker?
He's aloof, and would rather practice his guitar.  Melody is winning him over, though.
They seem to be bonding over a shared love of bad jokes and.. finance?  As my Simlish is a tad bit rusty, I'm not exactly sure whats going on half the time.

Unfortunately,  Connor is currently woo-hooing with half-alien scientist Vivianne Cloverdale..who is a ratchet bitchy diva of the highest order and Aureliano Buendia, a rather butch and hunky soldier.
Poor Melody has absolutely no idea.   I'm thinking that there is a massive catfight between she and Vivianne in the future.

This is Vivianne's favorite song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAf4Pt-IfJc
I..don't know.  It isn't really her style, but I shouldn't try to pigeonhole someone.  Even if they are a Sim.
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:29 pm

I've been having a lot of fun with my Sims 2 Rediscovered (as I call it)! The only thing is that it makes me even angrier that EA is such a lazy, cheap, sucky company. Playing Sims 2 again after playing Sims 3 for a few years makes me sad for how much of the charm was lost in Sims 3, and yet it also makes me wish some of the cool stuff in Sims 3 were in Sims 2, like the fact that you can just walk over to a neighbor's house and ring the doorbell most of the time, or drive to a lake or to the beach. But the sims themselves? SO much better in Sims 2! So much more personality and edginess. And then I look at Sims 4 and I think, why didn't they take the best of Sims 2 and Sims 3 and make Sims 4 the very best game, instead of the half-assed thing it's probably going to be? What a missed opportunity for greatness.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Jude, yes to everything you've said! Hearing about The Sims 4 only makes me angry with EA for being so darn lazy and cheap. How difficult is it to have a game that combines the charm, off kilter fun and personality of 2 with 3's open world?

I think the only thing I like about 4 is the look of the Sims themselves.
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:21 am

I don't know how true this is, but I've heard a lot about how the Sims 4 was originally supposed to be online, and they had to make a lot of compromises in light of that. Then the SimCity debacle happened, they decided to scrap the online element, and were left with the shell of a rubbish game to try and polish up and pretend it was always intended to be offline ready. EA's obsession with forcing online play on people really annoys me. I get that they want to combat piracy, but by going about it like this they're just punishing the people who pay good money for their games. They could do with having some pride in their products, rather than just a single minded fixation on $$$.
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:11 am

Melk, its true.   TS4 is an unfinished MMORPG with its online features disabled because EA never could work out issues with their servers.

Oh, frack.   EA has managed to make the Caliente sisters look even worse than in TS3.
The lady next to them is the mother, Nighat (Now renamed Katrina and transformed into a youngish cougar type).
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/56127566qf.jpg
And yes.  That is Don Lothario.  Supposedly.   Why, oh why do they all look like they're the exact same age?
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:03 pm

This is pretty hilarious: EA apparently tried to foil would-be pirates of the Sims 4 by pixellating the game for anyone not having a legit version:
Take THAT, Pirates! - EA

But apparently pirates have already put a fix in for it (of course).

Also, the game launched with a giant patch, right off the bat.

You keep up that fine work, EA. Walk proud.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:32 am

My resistance is weakening with the idea of a brand new Scully and Mulder.
But this isn't quite there yet.

http://thesims4blogger.tumblr.com/post/92179186822/having-fun-with-cas-did-my-favorite-couple-of-all
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:32 am

Meant to post about this when PAX was happening, but in the hustle and bustle I forgot about it.

So, EA set up a photo booth for people to get pictures taken:

Complete with plumb bob!

The focus for their set up was Pancake Bob and their big deal was a free pancake breakfast.

It was a pain in the butt and then some, as it was a mile from the convention center up one of Seattle's "stealth hills" - you barely notice you're on an incline but oh, you feel it. But I guess that was good, because by the time I got to the cafe where they were hosting it, I'd burned off the calories I was about to ingest.

Once there, I was surprised to discover that EA had actually rented out the whole place - it literally was *just* the pancake breakfast, so if I'd wanted something else, I was out of luck. But the pancakes were good, the coffee was decent. But the kicker was the show.

They had actors in various costumes with plumb bobs on their head performing skits all around us in Simlish. There was one where an exercise trainer convinced an elderly lady to get up and do a workout, but it was too much for her and she fainted into the arms of a luchadore. Two Sims got into a fight, screaming in Simlish, then one of them sat down and cried in a booth until another Sim came over and gave him a hug.

Then... there was this. One of the Sims got up and started singing in Simlish, then another one (she was painted blue and sang Eiffel 65's "Blue"). Then they convinced one of the customers to try it and that's when I finally got my camera working and captured him doing "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" in a fairly passable Simlish, which got the entire cafe singing along.

A lot of fun. Almost has me wanting to get the game. But then I remember I'd have to sign up for Origin and all that nonsense and no.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:45 am

Case wrote:My resistance is weakening with the idea of a brand new Scully and Mulder.
But this isn't quite there yet.

http://thesims4blogger.tumblr.com/post/92179186822/having-fun-with-cas-did-my-favorite-couple-of-all
Even though I have no immediate plans to buy it (or ability to run it on my computer), I have of course already made a Mulder and Scully in the CAS demo. Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

I would like to try again someday when I have some custom skins and hair and stuff to make them not SO INSANELY BEYOND CARTOONY.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:35 pm

That looks like it was fun, Laddical.
Why can't EA find a way to make the game that fun?

Instant Monkeys,I'd definitely download your Mulder and Scully!
Mod the Sims already has more realistic hair and eyes, thank goodness.  I get all excited, but then I remember every single item and feature that has been cut from the game.
Then I get mad knowing most of it is going to be paid DLC, and go back to the Sims 2.

Also? If everything is far more cartoony now, then WHY HAVE THEY GONE BACK TO THE CLOSED WORLD?
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Case on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:56 am

You all will forgive my cynical lack of surprise.
Why do I get the feeling that this was meant to be paid DLC..and EA decided to avoid the Internet pitchforks?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/01/the-sims-4-free-content-updates-to-include-pools-star-wars-costumes

So, every base feature that was cut is going to be DLC. Why am I trying so hard to resist buying it ,then?

Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:58 pm

I would bet my house they originally intended people to pay for this DLC.
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Absolutely. Still not buying it due to my annoyance with EA for how they've handled the entire enterprise.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm not buying it either. What amazes me most are some of the EA apologists in the comments. I'm convinced EA could stick a Sims label on just about anything, and people would not only buy it, but argue it's the best damned game in the universe.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:05 am

Currently downloading a buttload of stuff from the Sims store, since all of the Sims 3 expansion and stuff packs are going for $8 a pop. Into The Future added the most fun to the game, Showtime is a bit complicated and disappointing.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm

For those who like me haven't bought Sims 4 yet, there's a free trial going on up until February 4th:

FREEEEEE!! (But only for 48 hours)

I downloaded it two nights ago and played for maybe 2 hours. I hated it. Honestly HAAATED it. I spent most of the time going, "Where the hell is BUY mode??" and "How the hell do I get to the Worlds map so I can send these idiots to the library??" The sims themselves are kind of boring looking, and they don't do much of anything. The much-touted emotions thing sucked because they get into these moods for no reason and are easily embarrassed at the most minor things. Then all they want to do is hide in bed. To me, they don't seem to have a whole lot of personality (to be fair, neither did the ones in Sims 3), though granted I only played for a short time, so maybe I'm jumping to judgment on that.

The other thing is, I created a male and a female sim and gave them a child, intending for them to be a family, of course. Yet in the game, the male and female didn't even seem to know each other, much less like each other. The kid got along better with them than they got along with each other, and every time I tried to initiate something romantic between the two so I could up their relationship bar, one would reject the other, and off they'd go, all embarrassed again. Ugh.

I also felt the game wasn't very intuitive, but maybe that's just me. I just don't ever seem to remember having trouble understanding or learning Sims 2 or Sims 3, but this game seemed to confuse and frustrate me. Maybe I was just prejudiced to begin with, since I really resent how much was left out of this version compared to the other Sims games, but I have to say I'm SO glad now I didn't succumb to the temptation to buy it.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top