Angelina Jolie

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Angelina Jolie - Page 4 Empty Re: Angelina Jolie

Post  Carrie Ann on Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 am

I feel so proud of her, which is silly, but this is such a brave thing to do. I have such a soft spot for her and their family, and I'm sad for her but happy that she did something that makes her feel stronger and safer. Also, writing about it is awesome, just for people like you inversed. I don't think you're weird being inspired by her.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 am

I'm so glad she outlined the procedure in detail, too.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

mayram wrote:Wow, just saw this news on Yahoo and was shocked.

I had noticed recently that she seemed to have dropped completely off the radar, even in the tabloid world, and I kinda wondered what was going on. I'd never have guessed this.

According to the tabloids, it's still about Brad and Jen, of course.

I think she's very brave to write this and try to get some attention on cancer - in a few months she just would have been dealing with breast augmentation gossip.

And the moment I typed that I remember a BI about a celebrity without a reputation for vanity who was sneaking off to get a bunch of post-child birth plastic surgeries and one of the guesses was Jolie. So, someone knew and wrote it to make it sound cosmetic.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  wenchsenior on Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am

I really feel for her. It takes guts to make the decision, do it, and then talk about it publically. I'm not surprised though...from what little I've read about her history, it seems like she's been expecting to get cancer and die young since she was a teen. So I'm not surprised she opted for this. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets her ovaries removed too. Luckily, she's got the financial status to have the best care for prevention, surgery, post-surgical support and so on. It really makes me sad to consider the women who face this without that.

wenchsenior

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

I had a friend who had to go through this and I know how much it means for her to have women like Angelina Jolie and Christina Applegate openly talk about their experience. Good for her. That is so brave.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Tue May 14, 2013 1:56 pm

It's making me think, given my mom had breast cancer on both breasts (and she's fine now -- if our family genes prove correct, she will live for a very, very long time). I recently had a physical and the doctor suggested talking to a geneticist to see if I carry the gene also.

I'm glad she outlined the procedure. And damn she's a good writer.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you've got the same health concerns, inversed. It's wonderful to know that you do feel a but more at ease with the idea of undergoing the procedure because of Angelina's story though. She was courageous to share her very personal experience, and I hope if you do choose to get a mastectomy, that you'll have the support you need and deserve and that it all goes as smoothly as possible.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 pm

That is, indeed, a well written article - my jaw hung open the whole time I read it. But, lordy, can you imagine what the tabloids and gossip magazines are going to look like next week? "Angie's Cancer Tragedy!" "Tragic secret hospital wedding as Angie fights for life," "'It's over!' says Brad, unable to face Fake Boobies," "Brad runs to Jen for Consolation and Real Boobies!"
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Tue May 14, 2013 8:53 pm

I've always admired Angie, but even more so now. This must have been weighing on her mind ever since her mother died, and maybe even before that.

I think when you have kids, just the thought of leaving them motherless is terrifying. I hope this procedure and whatever she chooses to do in addition will keep her cancer-free so she can be with her children for a long, long time. She's an amazing woman, and I think even more of Brad now for being so supportive.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Tue May 14, 2013 10:28 pm

I always really liked her but it's not an exaggeration to say I think the world of her now. This sounds horrible to say but no matter how many charities or causes celebs get involved with there's always a part of me thinking "Yeah but what kind of horror show are they the rest of the time?" But looking at everything she's done for charity, not to mention her many excellent acting and directing roles, and now this--for a woman widely considered one of the most beautiful in the world to make such a drastic change in her physical appearance purely for the sake of her family and her health--I mean, honestly, she'd have to kick a litter of puppies on camera for me to say one bad thing about her ever again. I am honestly a little bit in awe right now.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed May 15, 2013 12:41 am

I remember how thin and fragile and lostshe looked for awhile after her mom passed. I can only imagine the impact that loss had on her and why she wants to do anything to prevent her many kids going through the same pain.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk on Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 am

It's such an incredibly admirable thing to do, to put it out there like that. Especially considering how private she seems to be. We talked about it at work, and we all agreed that it had made us think about what we would do if we were put in that situation, made us that much more aware of it. I think it's great that that's what most people (in my experience) seem to be taking away from this - it's not celebrity gossip, it's an opportunity to discuss breast cancer and its impact on a life.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

But, lordy, can you imagine what the tabloids and gossip magazines are going to look like next week?
And the oh-so-serious concerns of how it will affect her bankability as an actor.
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed May 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Entertainment Tonight really disgusted me by discussing how she may have passed it on to her bio children. It just seemed tacky to me to take her announcement and then spin it into DEATH SENTENCE FOR HER BIOKIDS (BECAUSE HER ADOPTED KIDS DON'T MATTER IN THIS SENSE).
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed May 15, 2013 2:33 pm

It is disgusting because she did this for her kids and that spin makes it appear like DOESN'T MATTER PROBABLY GAVE IT TO HER KIDS.

Angelina can't win tbh.

However despite some gross stuff, I'm happy most of the stuff I've heard has been overwhelmingly positive.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed May 15, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't understand. Are they suggesting that she had any control over whether or not she passed it on to her kids? If so, what a weird thing to insinuate.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I think probably insinuating that she shoudn't have had bio kids.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed May 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Yeah, that is what I got out of it. I could be wrong, but the story is tragic enough without declaring death sentences on her two daughters.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed May 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Which again the genetic testing isn't SOP in the current health system, it's something you have to ask about, that a lot of women don't have access to, or information about because it's quite costly/scary. It sounds like it's something Angie only found out recently, and responded to swiftly and decisively, despite it being emotionally and physically complex to have your breasts and ovaries removed. Not that that kind of crap logic should be justified in anyway, people are allowed to procreate even if the have hereditive health issues in their genetic code. UGH.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm

And it's NOT a death sentence! That's WHY SHE HAD THE SURGERY, SO IT WOULDN'T BE. And who knows where medical science will be by the time her girls are grown? JESUS THIS PISSES ME OFF SO BAD. Fuck the hater, Angie. I swear, I didn't have much of an opinion on her before but now I'm like "WE ARE SOLDIERS IN ARMS, MY SISTER!"

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed May 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Wow. She's an irresponsible cow or something, ET? You think she chose to pass those genes on to her kids? I'm sure the poor woman has lost more sleep than those knuckleheads can imagine just thinking about how her daughters may be affected by her genetic composition. She isn't rubbing her hands with glee like some cancer-inflicting monster. Jesus flaming Christ!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 pm

inversed wrote:And it's NOT a death sentence! That's WHY SHE HAD THE SURGERY, SO IT WOULDN'T BE. And who knows where medical science will be by the time her girls are grown? JESUS THIS PISSES ME OFF SO BAD. Fuck the hater, Angie. I swear, I didn't have much of an opinion on her before but now I'm like "WE ARE SOLDIERS IN ARMS, MY SISTER!"

Word.

Also, it's entirely possible that Zahara also carries a heightened risk for breast cancer in her genes. One in 600 women does. All of the Jolie-Pitt daughters, adopted or not, are going to be vigilant about breast health because their mother took proactive control of her own.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Wed May 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Also just saw a promo from ET wondering "how the surgery will impact her wedding plans." OMG burn it all down.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Big picture: She'll be alive and healthy enough to HAVE a wedding cuz she took a huge precautionary measure. How about you focus on that? Otherwise, shut your pieholes!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Wow. She's an irresponsible cow or something, ET? You think she chose to pass those genes on to her kids? I'm sure the poor woman has lost more sleep than those knuckleheads can imagine just thinking about how her daughters may be affected by her genetic composition. She isn't rubbing her hands with glee like some cancer-inflicting monster. Jesus flaming Christ!

Exactly! I don't have kids but I do worry sometimes that if I did have them, would I pass on the chance of them having Crohn's and it really bothers me. And this is just a hypothetical situation!

I understand that celebrities do give up a certain amount of privacy in order to be successful, but the way the media jumps on things like this and twists it around does the people who run the tabloids and entertainment shows and gossip sites no credit at all.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum