[ 6 ]
95% 95% 
[ 119 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 125

THE FUTURE OF SNARKFEST OMG

Post  PrincessCleo on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Now that Forumer seems to be working again (but is still slow), we as a community need to figure out what to do, it looks like. The options reflect three choices: going back to the old board (which is slow, but everyone knows where it is), staying here at this board (and continuing to tweak the settings and find missing members), or looking for a different board service to use, if anyone wants to or has suggestions. I'm leaving the poll open for three weeks, to the beginning of January, to give everyone time to hear about it, forget about it during the holidays, and remember it again. This also allows for discussion of the pros and cons of each choice in the comments. Once you've made your answer, you can also go back and change it.

Last edited by PrincessCleo on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Re: THE FUTURE OF SNARKFEST OMG

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I have yet to get back into Snarkfest 3.0, it's still down for me.

Needless to say, I voted for staying here!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Stay here, no question. I've already mourned the last incarnation, and I'm not ready to do so again.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarlettfish on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I like it here. It's shiny and new, and not broken.

Scarlettfish

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:01 pm

If I had to choose style-wise, I would say 3.0. I think we have more features there. I did notice that 4.0 was down some this morning, so I hope that doesn't become the norm. I also don't like that we'll lose our archive and data with the old site. Is there a way to migrate?
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm

The complete lack of response for weeks and absolutely snotty dismissive tone when the techs did respond (though never really answered any questions) makes me never want to go near a Forumer forum ever again.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't think there's any way to migrate short of writing custom software to download each post and transfer it here. However Forumer still seems to be functioning in some kind of minimal way for now so we do have access to them. I don't know what will happen long term.

Style-wise, there is actually quite a bit I could do to make the board look more like the old one. I don't have complete control of everything but there is stuff I can do. Please tell me what changes you want most on the tech support thread.

In general, I think Forumer is in its last days. No company acts the way they have if it's functioning properly internally. I don't believe going back there is a real option. We might last there for the year, but eventually whatever process is destroying them will end the company, possibly with even less warning than we had last time. I might be misinterpreting but those snarling responses we got from them sound like a person in an impossible work environment taking it out on users.

(This comment is all my personal opinions, not any kind of statement of...anything really. But especially not the mods'.)

Last edited by particle_person on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 pm

I like it here! Can we please stay here?
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:47 pm

I liked the look of the old forum, but this one actually works. Stay.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Escape on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 am

I'm liking having a forum that works. Stay.
Escape

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

I like how quickly this place moves, and I prefer the style as well. Voted for staying.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:13 am

Voting to stay, keep the current general style.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am

If it's decided that we'll stay, what I might do is make a series of polls on general style questions for people to vote on. (i.e. Does X need to be bigger or smaller, Does Y need to be a different color, etc.) I mean we really only need to resolve those questions once.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 am

I vote to stay here. It's not near as intimidating posting since it's all new as it was on 3.0 with all then history. :)

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 am

I enjoy the fresh start we've all gotten here, and the fact that the board, ya know, functions properly. Forumer is just so unreliable!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:06 am

I vote to stay. This board has been nice and speedy and the behavior of the Forumer people makes me very nervous.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 am

I also voted to stay. Not only was it down for a month and the people who run the place extraordinarily dismissive, it was sooooo slow for weeks before that.
You know, on those rare days when you could actually get past the home page.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 am

Ditto to what mokey75 said - it was so frustrating how slow the old board had gotten and I'm thrilled that this one works so well. I voted to stay.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 pm

I vote stay. Perhaps a big giant announcement can be made over at 3.0 to let any stragglers know about 4.0.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Forumer was the worst. This will be our new land.
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Forumer was running so slow that many people had just about given up on Snarkfest 3.0 anyway. Posting was dwindling down and there were a lot of users I wasn't seeing around anymore. I love how fast and reliable Forumotion is! It's inspired a lot of new people to start posting, but also has inspired the return of a lot of old-timers who had drifted away due to frustration about the slow servers. I think the layout of this board is just fine, but also that if we need small tweaks, particle_person is being incredibly patient and will do his best to get us what we want.

This forum has been down a few times, but for what, a few minutes? An hour or two? I check the forum pretty frequently throughout the day and have never encountered downtime. And when it's not down, it hasn't had periods of extreme slowness. I think that's pretty good.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 pm

If the old board was working reliably and consistently, I'd much rather be there.

This one is OK, but it's all too bright and in-your-face for me, and I don't know where the icons (for new posts etc) come from, but when I access the board from work they won't show up. I'm shallow and would pick the old one on looks alone. You know, assuming it was working properly.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

I vote to stay here. I don't trust Forumer at all, and I feel like we're starting to settle in.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:39 pm

It seems the main big point of going back to 3.0 is to get the posters who never made it here. If we can have a huge announcement on the main page of 3.0 with a link to here, I think that's the best option.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Never Enough, that's been done already. Go look!

Esseilte wrote:If the old board was working reliably and consistently, I'd much rather be there.

This one is OK, but it's all too bright and in-your-face for me, and I don't know where the icons (for new posts etc) come from, but when I access the board from work they won't show up. I'm shallow and would pick the old one on looks alone. You know, assuming it was working properly.

Esseilte, you gotta tell me about that stuff. I already tweaked it so it would work properly with Opera. As for style, I've literally done my best to change as little as possible so far, mostly because when I make changes I risk screwing something up or annoying people who like it as it is. (This much I have learned from LJ's behavior.) However, if we're serious about staying here I do plan to make further changes, probably with polls, now that we know how to make them.

Last edited by particle_person on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next