Doctor Who

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Doctor Who

Post  epudom on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm

When the ads for the new season started, I realised that I still haven't watched the 2nd half of the last season from last September onwards. I've got all the episodes recorded, but I haven't had the urge to watch them. I guess the Moffatt/Pond/River combo isn't working for me any more.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Not a bad start, though I've seen stronger season openers on DW. Daleks are always good.

Spoiler:
Why can't Amy and Rory live happily ever after? What would be wrong with that? This is what happens when a companion sticks around for more than a couple of seasons; the writers have to start messing with them (more than usual). Thank goodness the whole break-up thing didn't last out the episode, I was getting rather angry. I liked that the Doctor was saddened by it too, and wants to fix their marriage. And has no one on TV ever heard of adoption? Yes, it's tragic that Amy can't have any more children, but they did have one, such as it is, and they can still have a family even if it doesn't come out of Amy's womb. There were so many things wrong with the pregnancy storyline from last season and now the aftermath is annoying me. I'm more convinced than ever that the show should never have done it.

"The Predator" is nowhere near as good a name as "The Oncoming Storm".

So, Jenna-Louise Coleman must be continuing the Doctor Who tradition of turning up in a guest-star role, then becoming a companion and a totally different character (see: Ian Marter, Freema Agyeman, Karen Gillian). Because she done blowed up good at the end there, so I don't see her coming back as that character. It would make her sacrifice less meaningful. I didn't like her character over-much until the big reveal at the end; I hope she's better as a companion.

I was reminded a few times while watching of the classic Who story "Resurrection of the Daleks". The Daleks needing help from someone (Davros in that case, not the Doctor), wiping the minds of humans and turning them into Dalek slaves (though the new show goes a lot farther with the conversion). I like seeing things that remind me of the older show now and then. I liked the new colour scheme on the opening credits, though the title card is a little plain.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:27 am

I really enjoyed it, though I did find myself annoyed with Amy for the first time ever. If they hadn't resolved that little thread I was totally going to be Team Rory.

I do find myself worried about the new companion now. There's no way Oswyn is completely unrelated - this isn't like Karen Gillan showing up in Pompeii two years before "The Eleventh Hour". Plans within plans within plans and all relating to that original question: "Doctor Who?"

Oh, man, I nearly peed my pants jumping up and down when all the Daleks were screaming that.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Evil Lincoln on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:03 am

I kind of wish they (or just Steven Moffat?) would quit it with the "Amy's an asshole to Rory because she loves him soooo much" storylines and just call it like it is: Amy's an asshole, and she can get away with it because Rory will always take her back.

I actually quite liked the Dalek plots in the episode for the second time ever (as somebody who's only seen the show from 2005 onward, "Dalek" was the only Dalek-centered story that worked for me until now), but the relationship drama really irritated me. I could have bought it a little if there was anything prior to a 30-second bonus clip to indicate that there was trouble. That it came out of nowhere and was resolved by the end of the episode just underscored that it was drama for the sake of drama. Seriously, girl. This guy waited 2000 years for you and was only sad when you got old that one time because he didn't get to do it with you. How could you honestly think he would care if your kids came out of you?

Evil Lincoln

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:00 am

What bothered me about the relationship drama was my god, haven't you gained ANY relationship skills, Amy?
Spoiler:
How can you have filed for divorce without even saying what your concern was (at which point, Rory would have brought up adoption, or even surrogacy, as a perfectly good option)??? Ridiculous.
If I thought Rory would recover and find himself a woman who treats him with the respect he deserves - which he won't while Amy lives, I fear - I would wish them to break up already.

Dalek eps often leave me cold, but I liked this one, including Oswyn. I didn't know that actress is going to be the new companion, but I actually wondered it as she bantered with the Doctor. Huff Post muses on this ep, including the new companion:

Spoiler:
from the article: "The question is, will she return as Oswin? Obviously the character died on the asylum planet, but could the Doctor grab her from of an earlier point in her timestream? Or -- and this is my somewhat fantastical theory for down the line -- what if the Doctor's enemies somehow preserve her DNA or an earlier version of Oswin, and use her as a lure to get him to the Fields of Trenzelor, which is where (as we learned in last season's finale) there will be a final and possibly fatal showdown? "
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:16 pm

laddical wrote:I really enjoyed it, though I did find myself annoyed with Amy for the first time ever. If they hadn't resolved that little thread I was totally going to be Team Rory.

What annoyed me is the whole thing didn't match the end of "Pond Life", where it seemed Rory was leaving in anger and Amy wanted him to come back.

Other than that, good stuff.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:02 pm

Adored it. The opening was horrifying, the twist in the opening was brilliant and unexpected, and Jenna-Louise Coleman was...dalektable.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm

I C wut u did thar.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:32 am

Luthien wrote:Not a bad start, though I've seen stronger season openers on DW. Daleks are always good.

Spoiler:
So, Jenna-Louise Coleman must be continuing the Doctor Who tradition of turning up in a guest-star role, then becoming a companion and a totally different character (see: Ian Marter, Freema Agyeman, Karen Gillian). Because she done blowed up good at the end there, so I don't see her coming back as that character. It would make her sacrifice less meaningful. I didn't like her character over-much until the big reveal at the end; I hope she's better as a companion.
(Spoiler tagged for future companion speculation)
Spoiler:
She was cast as companion before she shot this episode (as opposed to the others who were cast in guest spots then called back to audition for companion a long time later), so presumably it's intentional and there will be a connection between the two.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Spoiler:
I hope this isn't going to be a storyline in which the first time the Doctor meets his new companion, she dies. Even if he goes back and meets her at a previous time in her timeline, we've already seen this "end at the beginning" story with River Song. Fingers crossed it's not going this way!

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Luthien wrote:
Spoiler:
I hope this isn't going to be a storyline in which the first time the Doctor meets his new companion, she dies. Even if he goes back and meets her at a previous time in her timeline, we've already seen this "end at the beginning" story with River Song. Fingers crossed it's not going this way!

Well, it could be like in the Eighth Doctor audios where
Spoiler:
the Doctor meets Charlie and takes her with him, but it turns out she was supposed to die in the accident he saved her from, and he ends up causing a paradox. I forget how that gets resolved, though.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 am

Was it just me, or did "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" have a very Hitchhikers Guide vibe? Mostly the two robots and Rory and his dad stating the obvious (and the Doctor commenting on that.) That, and the ship was a doomed ark ship that was crashing on Earth.

I'm just saying, I got that vibe.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 am

I spent most of the episode thinking "where do I know the villian from?" Finally figured it out: Argus Filch from the Harry Potter movies. And there was more HP connection in Mark Williams as Rory's dad. I liked him, and I liked seeing that Rory has family. It was nice to see Mr. Williams (ha!) become a world traveler. I laughed when the Doctor called him Mr. Pond. I agree, RiverThames, the robots especially were very Hitchhiker's Guide-y.

Spoiler:
I was rooting for Nefertiti to get together with the African big game hunter, so I was pleased to see that happen. I found Amy to be kind of . . . harsh in this episode. In both episodes so far, actually. Why is she suddenly so mean? She's never been a ray of sunshine exactly, but she seemed to be unnecessarily picking on people for much of the episode. Think about it Amy: the Doctor wouldn't bring them along if he didn't like them and want to. The Doctor seems to be dragging out his leave-taking of Amy and Rory, which isn't really fair to them. I hope when they do leave it's a clean break that they choose to make, not him. I want them to have a happy ending, darn it! And I want it to happen while I still like them.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 pm

I really liked this episode! I agree, it had a Hitchhiker's vibe.

I spent most of the episode thinking "where do I know the villian from?" Finally figured it out: Argus Filch from the Harry Potter movies.

He also plays Walder Frey in Game of Thrones.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Re: Luthien's spoilerness (though just for this episode):

Spoiler:
I didn't see Amy as harsh, but once she was left with Nefertitti and the hunter, she essentially took upon herself the role of The Doctor, with them as her companions. And I thought she slid into that role very easily and naturally.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm

I agree with RiverThames.

Spoiler:
I've always liked Amy and I really saw nothing in this episode that made her seem harsh. I'm really going to miss her and Rory when they're gone

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:07 am

I loved it. And yes, it felt very Hitchhiker's.

It was nice to hear the driving strains of "I am the Doctor" again after their very notable absence last week.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:59 am

Was it just me, or did "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" have a very Hitchhikers Guide vibe?
It was very, very Hitchhikers. While we were watching, I even told my stepdaughter that the robots seemed like they'd been written by Douglas Adams.

It was "identify the actors" night at our place - besides Mr. Weasley and Filch, there was Inspector Lestrade from Sherlock.
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:54 pm

This episode was an absolute riot - wafer-thin, but I loved it. It promised dinosaurs on a spaceship, and that was exactly what it delivered. I loved the golf-ball-fetching triceratops and the Indian Space Agency.

I did think the rapist vibe the Filch character gave off (especially that comment about Nefertiti) was rather jarring and uncharacteristic for the show, as was the Doctor's decision to send him to the missiles, but I suppose the one made the other slightly more explicable (plus, he did for the triceratops. That's in the same league as puppy-kicking to show that someone is Irredeemably Evil).
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

There were two things that gave me pause - not sure if I should spoiler, but better to be safe than sorry -
Spoiler:
1) Why didn't Rory's dad recognize the Doctor from Rory's and Amy's wedding? I found this extremely weird. It might be a potential "Doctor with a jacket on" moment - as io9 recently pointed out.
2) The Doctor's reaction to Amy's "or vice versa" (you know, wrt being there at his/her end) made me instantly think that he had already seen Amy's "end", whatever that means within the framework of this show. As I'm still confused about last season's ending and seeing that they missed out on 200 years of the Doctor's life anyway, he just might have been there already.
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I don't watch much Doctor Who, but I loved this one. DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP! Assembling a team! The ending shot of Rory's dad sitting with the earth below him. Joking about Big Hunter LESTRADE and his whole gender anachronism. David Mitchell as a whiny robot.

Had to save it. This one charmed me.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Wow, that was a lot of angst for a children's programme. I did like the throwaway line about Susan the Horse. No Stormageddon, but close.
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I thought it was a decent episode of Firefly.

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I get that, I do, but if this had been Firefly, the Doctor would have screamed and sulked when Amy stood up to him and either she or Rory would have ended up dead just after we thought all danger had passed.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:41 pm

From the three episodes that I've seen so far, I've come to the conclusion that every writers' meeting begins with the line "Wouldn't it be cool to see.....?"

"Wouldn't it be cool to see The Doctor trapped on a planet of insane Daleks?"

"Wouldn't it be cool to see The Doctor riding a dinosaur on a spaceship?"

"Wouldn't it be cool to see The Doctor as the town marshal in a Western, fighting an alien cyborg?"

I wholeheartedly endorse this approach, and wish to see more of it.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top