View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Doctor Who

Post  tothemax on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Such a pity, that.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:43 pm

I can tell you're all kinds of broken up. Can I get you a tissue? Some soothing tea?
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:40 pm

If you wouldn't mind. I'll be on the couch, prostrated by grief.

In truth, I did feel a pang of sorrow when I read the news, which is one more pang than I thought I'd feel.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I was kind of expecting them to leave soon so I wasn't surprised, but I feel anxious about Moffat describing their story as coming to a "heartbreaking" end. Amy and Rory have already been through so many tragic situations, I'd rather they get a happy ending.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:03 pm

If it means I never have to see River Song again, I'll take it.

Of course, now the next companion will be someone unbearable just to make me wish for River.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm

tothemax wrote:Such a pity, that.

You! YOU!! You non-believer! You did this!!!

You dare to show your face here at this time??!! Begone, and take your false sympathy with you! We have no want of it here!!!
*goes bonkers because it's been a quiet week*

I'm going to miss them. And River Song. It's been an interesting and fun journey with them.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:00 am

Wow, I have so many Feelings right now. I'm thrilled Rory will be gone finally, surprised that I'm not thrilled River will be gone (I wasn't expecting complete indifference to her leaving), and just destroyed that we're losing Amy. AMY! No! Please don't leave me--er, I mean the Doctor!

Also, this business about the Doctor meeting a new friend has me hoping that Matt Smith will be staying on after next season. I don't know why, it's not like Doctors haven't regenerated soon after gaining new Companions before, but I'll take any little scrap of hope to banish the bad Doctor Leaving Soon? thoughts I've been having.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarlettfish on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:32 am

No more River Song! *does the dance of joy*

Scarlettfish

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:14 am

Scarlettfish wrote:No more River Song! *does the dance of joy*

Yeah, the longer I think about this, the happier I'm getting that she's on her way out. I'm really not going to miss her insufferable smugness.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 am

Aw, I'll miss River, she had some great moments. Ditto the Ponds, although I shall grit my teeth and remind myself that the regular change is one of the best things about Doctor Who - although does every exit have to be "heartbreakin"? I want my Ponds to be happy!
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Watch. Rose is coming back *ducks and runs*
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
*gasp*
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Rose is coming back *ducks and runs*

Shhh! They'll hear you. All I ask is that we get a companion who is not a 20-something human female from the 21st century. C'mon, Who writers, change it up! A male companion, an alien companion, an older male or female companion (this is what I'd like best. I loved Wilf's time on the show. And the audios have Evelyn who I adore). A stowaway companion, a reluctant companion, a companion who doesn't want to bone the Doctor. Make my fondest wish come true: Romana somehow survived the Time War and has regenerated and comes back. Okay, that will probably have to stay in my fanfic.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 pm

I'd just gotten into them, too. Oh, well, that's what the show is all about.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Luthien wrote:
Rose is coming back *ducks and runs*
a companion who doesn't want to bone the Doctor.
This. The Doctor is great and all, but not everyone is going to fall in love with him or bone him. I don't understand why writers can't conceive of a companion (except for Donna) who is not romantically interested in him.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:14 pm

With the exception of a couple of one-offs, I liked all of the previous companions of the new series. Donna took me several episodes to warm up to, but I got there, and shed a tear when that arc came to an end. However, you're right that it would be good to see something a little different, though I can see how they'd still want to have an Earth companion to give the audience someone to directly relate to.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 pm

All I want is the Victorian companion they mentioned ages ago. I don't think I'd watch if there was a permanent older companion, or if the only companion was a man. Unless it was someone like Jack. But I would like someone who doesn't come from the 21st century!
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Yeah, I'm totally with you guys who don't want another 21st Century Companion. I've been saying for ages now that not having a Companion from the distant past means a lot of missed comedy opportunities. I'd also love a reluctant/resentful Companion. That would make for a unique dynamic we haven't had on the new series so far. The Eighth Doctor had Lucy Whatsherface in the audios who was in a sort of Time Lord Witness Protection with him and that was interesting. I'd like to see something like that expanded in the TV show.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:13 am

a sort of Time Lord Witness Protection with him

You have the Doctor providing Witness Protection?

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 am

laddical wrote:
a sort of Time Lord Witness Protection with him

You have the Doctor providing Witness Protection?

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Heh. The Time Lords did everything wrong. Wasn't that the point of them?
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 pm

not having a Companion from the distant past means a lot of missed comedy opportunities

This would be great on the new show! Think of the fun they could have. I love the little jokes like that on the classic show.

Jamie's reaction to seeing his first airplane (roaring over them when the Doctor lands the Tardis on the Heathrow runway): "It's a flyin' beastie!"

Or Victoria's reaction to wearing her first mini-skirt: "Don't you think it's a little . . . short?" The Doctor: "Oh, I don't think so: look at Jamie's."

Then there's Erimem from ancient Egypt (audio-only): "Why would someone put glass where a window should be?"

I really want a male companion. That makes me sound like a slash fan, but that's not why I think it would be interesting. Two of my favourite companions have been male and I think it gives the show a different dynamic when there's boys along for the ride. Boys who are there on their own (Jack, Jamie, Turlough, Harry), not attached to the female companion (Rory, Mickey). It's a nice change of pace and it wouldn't have to be for more than a season. An older male companion for the Doctor, as one example, would be a lot of fun, I think. I don't know if the show is reluctant to do it because of the hoyay potential, or because it's more traditional to have a girl along, or what.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I've always been partial to the Five/Teagan/Turlough arc, though that may be because that's when I first discovered the series. I do think Turlough was one of the more interesting companions.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:44 pm

I'd definitely prefer that if they do two companions, they have two who aren't previously involved or attached. I also think they should bring in both of them at the same time. Don't give the audience time to get used to just one companion - especially if that one is a woman - before introducing another, or there will always be people who prefer things without the second person.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 pm

I really like that idea. I just really, really hope there is no more boyfriend/husband stuff with the Companions next time. I just want it to be the Doctor and his BFF(s) having adventures in time and space! No more jealousy and bullshit territory marking please.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:01 am

So being that it's Christmas, I dug out my favourite Christmas specials to watch. I have a beloved old VHS tape of a special I loved growing up called Mole's Christmas, based on The Wind in the Willows. It used to air every year on CBC in Canada; for all I know it still might. Anyway, I popped it in and as it started, the voice credits come up, and I shrieked. Because Peter Davison stars in this as Mole! The Fifth Doctor! It was just cool to think that last Christmas I had no idea who he was. (The special is really sweet if you like the Wind in the Willows).

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top