Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who

+44
LadyGayle
salamandersam
Crackie
Rhilin
Melk
Corvus
MichiSichi
snorf
Mulva
mrinsouciance
Author By Night
dday515
Shalamar
big chicken
jensa
lisaslobe
Wilhelmina
Tabby
Pop'n'Fresh
mandalaya
Evil Lincoln
epudom
Snarker
Red Wolf
Genevieve
RiverThames
nazlan
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
punzy
Cutebutpsycho
Scarlettfish
Esseilte
ActonBell
dionneshea
SarahJanet
QueenSix
bbridges
laddical
tothemax
allochthonous
Raksha
Eris Rising
Luthien
48 posters

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 14 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  Shalamar Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:49 am

I'm going to believe it's true. Even if that specific event never happened, I bet there are thousands of people who had less-than-great childhoods that were made a little better by this show in all its incarnations. (Yes, I'm a sentimental sap.)
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:32 am

The episode made no sense, and yet I still kind of loved it, and I was still an emotional wreck at the end.

Especially with the following line, delivered by the only person who could deliver it:

Spoiler:
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:22 am

They finally explained why some of the Anglicans work with the Doctor and why some of them tried to create a psychopath to kill him, and they finally explained why the TARDIS blew up in "The Big Bang". Even if that's all that happened, it would have been enough to me.

I held it together for the most part in this episode. I was a little worried that I wasn't crying, until I realized that I've pretty much cried myself out on the rewatch. But I did come really really close to losing it at the moment Eris hid above.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:57 am

Agree it was sad with the line Eris mentioned. I didn't love the episode (but maybe because I was watching it live and it was 1am here and I am sleep deprived) but did like all the villains there again and I am waiting to see Capaldi again - I must say I thought that the Doctor getting older was the reason they chose Capaldi and not another younger actor but since he regenerated that theory was not that great.
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:50 pm

MichiSichi wrote:Agree it was sad with the line Eris mentioned. I didn't love the episode (but maybe because I was watching it live and it was 1am here and I am sleep deprived) but did like all the villains there again and I am waiting to see Capaldi again - I must say I thought that the Doctor getting older was the reason they chose Capaldi and not another younger actor but since he regenerated that theory was not that great.

I thought that the reason for the older Doctor was covered in the 50th Anniversary Special.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Oops did I miss that - what was the reason?
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Basically, the Doctor was "ashamed of being a grown up", or at least that's the theory derived from 8.5's question about why the Doctors had such young faces and spoke in such childish manners like "timey-wimey". Now that he's faced and resolved his decision to destroy Gallifrey, it's time to "grow up" again. At least a little.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Ah ok, i did not think of it that way hence I thought they did the old thing again
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:00 am

So, that Tasha Lem, Mother Superius of the Papal Mainframe....

Totally River Song, right?
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:12 am

I think you're spot on with that theory. She seemed a little too flirtatiously connected to the Doctor and to directly heroic to the story. But I think it was probably written as River and then Alex Kingston's schedule didn't allow it, so they re-wrote it, rather than Lem being another regeneration of River or something...
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:32 am

I don't know. I don't think River as we've known her would work in that position in the story. She felt like River, but in the same way that Eleven and Ten feel like the same character but aren't. So I have no explanation for how, beyond the Time Lords interfering again, but I think Tasha is a future River. The line "You've been fighting your inner psychopath all your life" was just too... right there.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:33 pm

She knows how to fly the TARDIS. River.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 pm

I agree. Totally River. No idea how, but it's gotta be. I should've twigged to it before, with Tasha Lem's flirtatious behavior, but as soon as the Doctor said that 'psychopath' line, I was like, whoa.

I loved it, but then I love all the Matt Smith-era Christmas specials, even "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe," which seems to come in for a lot of ridicule.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Managed to hold it together until Amy came down and uttered "Goodbye Raggedy Man". Then sent a text to my best friend saying "I hate 12 and want him to go away." She assures me that in 2 years I won't remember this sentiment.

I'll tell her about the Tasha Lam/ River Song theory. We'll gush together on the re-watch.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:19 pm

snorf wrote:Managed to hold it together until Amy came down and uttered "Goodbye Raggedy Man". Then sent a text to my best friend saying "I hate 12 and want him to go away." She assures me that in 2 years I won't remember this sentiment.

I'll tell her about the Tasha Lam/ River Song theory. We'll gush together on the re-watch.

Yeah, that line just killed me. The bow tie bit might have caused a bit of an emotional reaction, as well.

Two more things that people noticed, but I was not detail-oriented enough to get.

Amy and Clara's grandmother were wearing the same ring.

Clara's apartment complex was also Rose's apartment complex.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:11 pm

One thing that doesn't gel for me is Clara's stepmom. Has to be her stepmom, the death of Clara's mom was a major plotpoint in "The Rings of Akhaten". But she was awfully pushy on the boyfriend issue for a stepmom. Or at least for a stepmom that's only been in the picture a year or two. Clara's been an adult for most of the time this woman's known her, is my point. It's bad enough when a parent who raised you gets in your relationship space like that. It seems beyond the pale for this veritable stranger to be putting together "boy bands" worth of lists of prospects.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:04 am

laddical wrote:One thing that doesn't gel for me is Clara's stepmom. Has to be her stepmom, the death of Clara's mom was a major plotpoint in "The Rings of Akhaten". But she was awfully pushy on the boyfriend issue for a stepmom. Or at least for a stepmom that's only been in the picture a year or two. Clara's been an adult for most of the time this woman's known her, is my point. It's bad enough when a parent who raised you gets in your relationship space like that. It seems beyond the pale for this veritable stranger to be putting together "boy bands" worth of lists of prospects.

Was she established as the stepmom, though, and not some other relative?

Also, she may just be that horrible a person.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:55 am

It's not stated in-episode, but the actress' wiki page (the only place where I could find any information besides the fact that the character's name was Linda) refers to the character as Clara's stepmother.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:28 am

laddical wrote:It's not stated in-episode, but the actress' wiki page (the only place where I could find any information besides the fact that the character's name was Linda) refers to the character as Clara's stepmother.

So she was just that horrible a person. Got it. At least now we know the antagonist in the family.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:34 am

The claim on the Wiki page has been removed now. Was probably just some random fan who added it. I think it most probably was her stepmother (though her mother died eight years ago, so her father may have remarried any time since then) but it could be another relative. Personally I think the character was unnecessary, and especially confusing since they'd re-cast the actor who originally played her father.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:16 am

I'm watching "Vincent and the Doctor," and it's really striking to me how I hardly felt anything approaching that kind of emotional resonance from the second half of Series 7 bar "The Day of the Doctor", which is probably why I can take or leave Clara as a companion (Mr. Crackie really doesn't like Clara-- he feels like she was kind of crammed down our throats as "likeable"/ manic pixie dream girl from the start without much reason for us to like her). I absolutely hated "The Time of the Doctor," but I really hope that 12 presents an opportunity for a creative reset.

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:46 am

(Mr. Crackie really doesn't like Clara-- he feels like she was kind of crammed down our throats as "likeable"/ manic pixie dream girl from the start without much reason for us to like her)

That's my problem with her as well -- I don't think it's Jenna Louise Coleman's fault per se, it's just a failure of imagination on the part of Moffat et al. Hopefully the new series will give everyone a new start.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:55 pm

I think the problem with Clara is that she was introduced as a plot device, not as a character. The "who" of her was never as important as the "how" of her. And it became BLINDINGLY obvious during The Time of the Doctor that the five seconds of screen time with the Doctor and Amy was more emotionally compelling than his entire third act goodbye with Clara. That being said, I think that her adventures with Twelve (Thirteen?) will reboot the character.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:03 am

There's a theory that the Peter Capaldi Doctor's wardrobe resembles a previous one's.

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 am

I think it's a stretch. The red lining may be a nod to Pertwee the way Smith's bowtie was a nod to Troughton, but that's about all Twelve appears to have inherited from Three, sartorially.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 17 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum