Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctor Who

+44
LadyGayle
salamandersam
Crackie
Rhilin
Melk
Corvus
MichiSichi
snorf
Mulva
mrinsouciance
Author By Night
dday515
Shalamar
big chicken
jensa
lisaslobe
Wilhelmina
Tabby
Pop'n'Fresh
mandalaya
Evil Lincoln
epudom
Snarker
Red Wolf
Genevieve
RiverThames
nazlan
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
punzy
Cutebutpsycho
Scarlettfish
Esseilte
ActonBell
dionneshea
SarahJanet
QueenSix
bbridges
laddical
tothemax
allochthonous
Raksha
Eris Rising
Luthien
48 posters

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Doctor Who - Page 15 Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  nazlan Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:36 pm

laddical wrote:I think it's a stretch. The red lining may be a nod to Pertwee the way Smith's bowtie was a nod to Troughton, but that's about all Twelve appears to have inherited from Three, sartorially.

If the reason he doesn't have any neckwear is because he's just taken off a frilly cravat, then we'll talk.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 pm

A very good friend of mine has a birthday coming up and I was going to buy her a coffee mug I saw on some FB fangroup that said "Fish sticks and Custard" but now I can't find it, and all the ones I can find kind of suck. So then I was thinking an Adipose plushy 'cause those little critters are so cute, BUT I went to the local store that stocks Dr. Who paraphernalia and I found a life size cardboard Tardis which I am EXCEEDINGLY tempted to buy but it's like $80, (but oh so worth it). Decisions, decisions.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 pm

$80?!?!? My store sold it for $34.95 when we had it in stock.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm in Australia so the exchange rate works out. That said I might check out Amazon when I get a chance.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Oh. Heh.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 am

To celebrate their 15th anniversary, Big Finish is having several days of specials!  There are a couple free things and apparently each day they're having a 24-hour special on a particular audio play.  Today's special is the first one they ever did, featuring the 5th, 6th, and 7th Doctors.  It's $1 for download!  

I don't know how many days this is going for, but I'm excited!  Also, they do more than just Doctor Who, so I'm really hoping they have some of their Highlander audios on special later on down the line.

Last edited by Raksha on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:59 pm

First episode of new Doctor Who series to get cinema release.

And why not, seeing as how the last cinema screening went so well for them.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:23 pm

What did everyone think of Twelve's first full outing?

I really enjoyed Capaldi's take on The Doctor. It'll be great to see what he's like when he really settles in and The Doctor settles in to his new body. I'll miss Eleven, but I never really enjoyed him and Clara together, so I was ready for a new doctor.

I desperately want to love Clara, but i just don't yet. I liked her a lot more in this episode than I did in any of the Season 7 episodes. I certainly felt for her. And I liked their chemistry together in a partners kind of way.

They need to do a spin-off with the Paternoster gang. They're my favourite part of every episode they're in.

I'm torn on the Matt Smith cameo. I understand, from a storytelling point of view, why they did it, but it troubled me for two reasons. First of all, I think it was there for an emotional tug of the heartstrings, and I know it worked on many people, but to me it felt like a pale imitation of Amy appearing at the end of Eleven's last episode. That tugged on my heartstrings and made me cry many tears, but it was because Amy and Eleven are my favourite Doctor/Companion combo and he deserved to see her one more time. And secondly, and so much more importantly, I really think Clara's decision to stay with The Doctor should have been something she decided on her own. By having her do it because her Doctor begged her to somehow lessens the impact of her choice to stay. I think it was a mistake.

Still, I'm looking forward to the new season. I'm hoping they do discuss why Capaldi chose this face. And I do want to know why Missy calls him her boyfriend and what her deal is. She seems interesting.

Last edited by dionneshea on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I saw someone elsewhere suggest that Missy is the Master. Missy = Mistress = Master. I'm going to be so disappointed when this doesn't turn out to be true!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Raksha wrote:I saw someone elsewhere suggest that Missy is the Master.  Missy = Mistress = Master.  I'm going to be so disappointed when this doesn't turn out to be true!

That was exactly my first thought, which I immediately ran to FB to post about as soon as the credits rolled.

I kind of like that Clara's reaction to the Doctor's new look was a very "vocal fan" sort of reaction - he's *too old*, he has *gray hair*. Even the Doctor himself was put out by the frown lines (though his at least seemed to stem from the fact that he knew the face and didn't know why he knew it).

In that respect, I appreciated the Eleven cameo as Moffat telling the ageists among the fans to relax, stick by him, he's still the Doctor. I agree that it kind of muddied the water narratively with respect to Clara coming to grips with the regeneration on her own, but as a meta-commentary I liked it.

ETA: Not sure what I think of the new opening titles. The Time Vortex has been the key image of the series since the reboot and now it's been replaced with something very esoteric. I *do* like that it's shorter and that the music has been toned down from the increasingly bombastic versions of the last few title redesigns.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 pm

I really like the opening credits. They're fan created, and apparently Moffet liked them so much he had the BBC recreate them. The only difference I noticed was the face not morphing like the fan one.

I was unspoiled for Eleven's cameo, and was all waahhhh! Eleven! ::sniff:: But I thought it was a way of reassuring the audience through Clara that yeah, things are different, but different can still be good.

I swear I missed a lot of the lines, things were moving so quickly, so I'll rewatch later this week. I thought Capaldi did great, and look forward to a non-introduction episode.

Clara is still kinda meh for me. I swear she peaked in her first episode. I had such high hopes!

My favourite line was when the sonic was out of Clara's reach, and Twelve bemoaned not having Amy (and her long legs) there.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:20 pm

This regeneration didn't have the same punch for me.  Like I didn't cry when Matt Smith regenerated like I had with Nine and Ten, so I figured that  the season premiere would pull the heart strings.  It didn't, and I hope I warm up to it more as it goes on.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am

I liked it. I loved the opening credits with the clock movements. I adore the Paternoster gang - and there was a Sherlock Holmes reference in there, heh.

I literally laughed out loud when Twelve was nattering on to the old guy in the street, and saying he needed warm clothes - "A nice thick scarf. No, that would look stupid."

I was thinking Missy = River Song, but I like the "Mistress" explanation a lot better.

This show is not very kind to dinosaurs, is it?
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:27 am

I'm not familiar with Capaldi's work in anything else (other than Prime Suspect years ago), but I love him as Twelve. I really like how they're incorporating his age into his character.

I desperately want to love Clara, but i just don't yet.

Spoiler:
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Here's my theory:

About Missy:
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:09 am

That would definitely be an interesting take on it as well.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:45 pm

I am enjoying Capaldi's Dr, but a little perplexed about why he is insulting Clara so much. Is this meant to solidify that there is no romantic tension?

Also Clara's future boyfriend is hot [/shallow].

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Melk Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 am

I like Twelve. David Tennant and Matt Smith were both absolutely great, but their versions of The Doctor were very similar - manic, kooky and upbeat. In a funny way grumpy and aloof makes for a much needed change of pace. 'I don't think I'm a hugging person anymore' sort of encapsulated it.
Melk
Melk

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:40 pm

"Oh god, I'm bantering."

That was a lot of fun.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm

As I've said in other places, I feel that I've gotten to know and like Clara more over the past three episodes than over the past season (and specials) preceding them.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:32 pm

Eris Rising wrote:As I've said in other places, I feel that I've gotten to know and like Clara more over the past three episodes than over the past season (and specials) preceding them.

Which makes perfect sense. During her tenure with Eleven, she didn't fulfill the usual Companion Role: being the audience viewpoint character. Instead, she was The Mystery for the season. You can't be Viewpoint AND the Mystery. Now that she isn't a mystery, she can be the audience viewpoint, and thus be an actual person.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:49 am

That was great. I loved seeing a more humorous side of Twelve.

"The Sheriff wants to talk to the ringleader!" *guys start to bicker about which one of them is the ringleader* "Not you - her!"
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 am

I haven't watch Doctor Who regularly since I watched all of 9's episodes back in 2006 or so. I've caught a few of Ten's and Eleven's here and there and watched the Day of the Doctor and enjoyed it.

Having said that, I'm really liking the first three episodes of this season and especially this Doctor a lot. I don't know what the history with Eleven and Clara was or the Mystery or whatever she was/is, but I love the byplay between the two and how, while it seems that Twelve is taking her down a peg from whatever their relationship was, she's still a strong, fully-formed character. And I loved this Robin Hood episode a lot and some of the deeper, meta-ness of it. "I'm just as real as you are, Doctor."

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilhelmina Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Speaking of mystery: can anyone point me towards fan theories regarding the calculations the Doctor does? It might be a Pavlovian reaction instilled by watching too much Community but I would really like to know a bit more about his calculations. Unfortunately I haven't managed to track down anything so far...
Wilhelmina
Wilhelmina

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 am

That was a GREAT episode. I'm still catching my breath.

I admit to melting just a little when the Doctor said "Clara ... my Clara ..."
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum