Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Doctor Who

Post  Raksha on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:13 am

Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15 pm

I thought the Christmas special was a letdown. It wasn't bad, exactly, but I guess I wanted more since new eps aren't coming until next fall. This was a run of the mill episode, just a little longer. At least the ending was sweet. I kept expecting the Doctor to run away, and he seemed to surprise himself by staying. I wasn't surprised that Amy always set a place for the Doctor which, if nothing else, shows how well that character was developed. Poor Amelia Pond, always waiting for her Doctor.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 pm

I wasn't surprised that Amy always set a place for the Doctor which, if nothing else, shows how well that character was developed. Poor Amelia Pond, always waiting for her Doctor.

I really enjoyed the interaction between them at the end, it was the best part of the episode.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Yeah, this wasn't as good as last year's special. Like Tothemax said, it wasn't bad, but it could have been better. The scene with Amy at the end really was the best. They're both so good together! And her shooting him with the squirt gun was funny.

Also funny: "Who needs beds when you've got...HAMMOCKS!"
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:27 pm

ActonBell wrote:
I wasn't surprised that Amy always set a place for the Doctor which, if nothing else, shows how well that character was developed. Poor Amelia Pond, always waiting for her Doctor.

I really enjoyed the interaction between them at the end, it was the best part of the episode.

I liked the episode. It wasn't what I thought it would be, but it had some nice moments and if there's a time where you're going to allow heartwarming moments, it's Christmas.

And I don't see her as Poor Amelia Pond, to be honest with you. The Doctor is a part of Amy's life, a part of her family so there's always a place for him whether he chooses to take it or not. She's not really waiting for him, she's just acknowledging the way things are.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Pfft. You're clearly wrong and you can tell how wrong you are because I AM WRITING IN ALL CAPS. YOU ARE WRONG.

I'm glad we could share this moment.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:58 pm

I suppose that comparisons to other Christmas specials are inevitable, but it works very well taken as a standalone episode. All the right bits of funny, suspenseful, and heartwarming, and in the right order and measurements.

The Amy bit at the end was a pleasant surprise. Their interaction really is one of the best things about the current run.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:02 pm

tothemax wrote:Pfft. You're clearly wrong and you can tell how wrong you are because I AM WRITING IN ALL CAPS. YOU ARE WRONG.

I'm glad we could share this moment.

This moment has truly made my Christmas. God bless us, every one!

Who does he think he is telling me I'm wrong?! He can shut his cakehole, stupid know-nothing-know-it-all!!!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:33 pm

I never shut my hole, especially when cake is involved.

No, wait...

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 am

I thought it was gorgeous and wonderful and I'm not sure whether I think this or last year is my favorite of the Christmas specials.

You know what I love? Besides the obvious answer of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan and their beautiful chemistry? Steven Moffat and his love of happy endings.

But I really really love Matt Smith. And his chemistry with Karen. And Rory. And I'm so not looking forward to a permanent good-bye to the Ponds.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:56 am

laddical wrote:
You know what I love? Besides the obvious answer of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan and their beautiful chemistry? Steven Moffat and his love of happy endings.

I completely agree. While discussing the show today, it hit me that this is the most life-affirming show that I'm aware of, and it's at its best when they're totally unapologetic about it. Everybody lives!
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:13 pm

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Well that's just all kinds of disturbing. If, instead of a revived TV show, Fox had decided to try and launch a film franchise, I feel like Will Smith would have been the top of the list for the Doctor. Shudder.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 pm

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:39 am

If that's for real, I stand up and slow-clap that Who fan. I wish we could know what the drunken person on the other end did next; they were so concerned! They'll never be able to walk past a graveyard again. I think I woke the rest of the house up with my uncontrollable laughter.

I got Elisabeth Sladen's autobiography for Christmas, and I'm nearly finished. It's a great read; I'm not one to read celebrity biographies usually, but I was curious. There's a foreword from David Tennant, written after her death which is very sweet. There are great stories, including an awesome one about the cast and crew on a bus heading to a location shoot for "The Seeds of Doom" when Elisabeth realized that for the first time, she was going to miss the first broadcast of an episode she was in (Her father always used to watch her TV appearances and then call her to discuss them). So Tom Baker asks to stop the bus and about six of them get off and Tom waltzes up to a random house and says "I'm the Doctor and this is Sarah. Can we watch ourselves on your TV?" And the lady let them all in! The book is full of fun stories like that.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:08 am

"goodbi doctr. uve liked changgged me life." It seems almost a little too perfect to be real, but I laughed and laughed.
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:25 pm

I've actually been mostly avoiding this thread cos I'm only part way through Season 5. Can't wait to catch up with the rest so that I can leap in with the discussion. I am so, so sad that I can't get into the old Snarkfest 3.0 DW thread, cos I had been reading that thread as I made my way through New Who. It was quite funny to be reading posts from 2007 as if they were current! Some of the links were dead by the time I got to them, but many were still working. But I was very much enjoying reading, and hope the 3.0 will work again so that I can finish. I think I was mid way through season 3 when it stopped working in the fall.

(ETA: Reading the Resolutions thread. It seems everyone can get back into old Snarkfest but me? I'm still getting the same error message since October...)

So...apparently David Tennant got married yesterday! Or it might be today? Rumors vary. Some say they got married yesterday and are having a party today, some say the wedding is today. May it last longer than Russel and Katy!

This is fun - Doctor Who credits done in the style of the Parks & Recreation credits. My fandoms collide!

Also, that 500 miles cast and crew video was just the best. (Though I hadn't finished the specials yet when I first watched it, so I got spoiled as to who was back. I think it was worth it!)

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:20 am

You guys! You guys! There's going to be a comic book crossover with Star Trek: TNG! I'm so insanely excited for this. I really, really can't wait to see Captain Picard react to Eleven! Joy!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:24 am

I think Picard will assume Eleven is a member of the Q - "You're next of kin to chaos."

I'm wondering what Big Bads are going to be dragged in. The most obvious choices would be the Borg and the Cybermen, so I'm kind of hoping they find something else. The Doctor and the Enterprise have to prevent a full scale Klingon-Judoon war? Some wibbley-wobbley timey wimey stuff makes it so that instead of inventing Data, Soongh instead invents the Cybermen? (I'm not opposed to the Cybermen on principle, just to the obvious compare and contrast to the Borg - because I am definitely opposed to the Borg).
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Series seven has started filming and it appears that Rupert "Inspector Lestrade" Graves is going to be in it. So are Mark Williams and David Bradley, who was Argus Filch in the Harry Potter films. It's reported here just so you know I'm not making it up as part of some elaborate revenge scenario against those Amy & Rory Pond haterz!!!

You know, it's been a while since I made a sparkly banner. I should really get working on that.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am

More casting news: Ben Browder is going to appear in an episode!

There's some speculation that he may be the new companion.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 pm

QueenSix wrote:More casting news: Ben Browder is going to appear in an episode!

There's some speculation that he may be the new companion.

Oh my Gods, this makes me so excited I could vomit! As if the wait for new episodes wasn't agonizing enough!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 am

If Ben Browder is the new companion, I may have to do an actual happy dance. Guh.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:30 am

Ahhh, that would make this Farscape fan very happy.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 pm

*geekgasm*
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next