Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costume Dramas for Television

+23
Melk
kanding
mandalaya
Morning Angel
Carrie Ann
epudom
mrinsouciance
sen3
xyzzy
wenchsenior
airisu
Gillian
Fiammetta
bbridges
Cynara
Luthien
Coneycat
Gallifrey Girl
Unlucky Bear
QueenSix
big chicken
The Glen
inversed
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Costume Dramas for Television - Page 3 Empty Re: Costume Dramas for Television

Post  mrinsouciance Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Masterpiece will start airing The Paradise beginning this Sunday. Has anyone seen this, and is it any good?

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

YES!!! I loved that book. Mostly! Except it was also super boring, but somehow awesomely engaging in its boringness. I would watch the shit out of a miniseries.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:18 pm

According to Aidan Turner, the new Poldark series will air in March.

Granted, schedules can change and actors are sometimes the last to know about such things but I am excited for this new Poldark. I really enjoyed the original series, which I caught in a rerun quite by accident on one of the digital drama channels a few years ago and haven't seen since, so I'm hoping this will be as good.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:YES!!! I loved that book. Mostly! Except it was also super boring, but somehow awesomely engaging in its boringness. I would watch the shit out of a miniseries.

I probably would have liked it if it was shorter . . . I think the footnotes killed it for me. In any case, I'm definitely interested in the mini-series.

Here's an old costume drama I've been watching, "the Devil's Crown" about the Angevins

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDevilsCrown1978/playlists

They don't even try to make the sets realistic, but go straight for stage-play style . . . I actually really like it, they are quite creative with it. Brian Cox is wonderful as Henry II, and the John is really good too. It gets boring when it focuses on Richard Lionheart (tries way too hard to be blah blah philosophical), but overall it's very good.

Also another old one, but not nearly as good imo, is "In the Shadow of the Tower", about Henry VII:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2zUIiE_412MDn8FPH9yvOrmRLib4xHTz

They dragged it out way too long imo, but there are some interesting parts, and James Maxwell is great.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:44 am

Masterpiece has been showing the Poldark series, and we are developing a Poldark drinking game.  We've specifically come up with these three, guaranteed to get you good and sauced within the broadcast hour:

1.  Every time Poldark is shown from a distance riding his horse along the cliff's edge, with the ocean in the background;

2.  Every time Poldark takes his shirt off (Mrs. I. noticed this one before I did.  Hm ...);

3.  Every time Cousin Francis engages in passive/aggressive self-loathing (my personal favorite).

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:40 pm

My favorite costume drama drinking game was for Bleak House.

1) Drink when Judy's grandfather tells her to shake him

2) Drink when Richard changes profession

3) Drink whenever the audience is asked to pretend there is a resemblance between Anna Maxwell Martin and Gillian Anderson

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 am

mrinsouciance wrote:Masterpiece has been showing the Poldark series, and we are developing a Poldark drinking game.  We've specifically come up with these three, guaranteed to get you good and sauced within the broadcast hour:

1.  Every time Poldark is shown from a distance riding his horse along the cliff's edge, with the ocean in the background;

2.  Every time Poldark takes his shirt off (Mrs. I. noticed this one before I did.  Hm ...);

3.  Every time Cousin Francis engages in passive/aggressive self-loathing (my personal favorite).

I would add, every time Poldark and Demelza's hair flows picturesquely in the wind.

Speaking of, the ending cracked me up. "Hey, hey, sorry to interrupt you looking really good, hair flowing with the breeze and everything, but, we kinda have to arrest you? WE HATE IT, but we have to kinda do it. Sorry! Sorry!"

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:46 am

big chicken wrote:My favorite costume drama drinking game was for Bleak House.

1) Drink when Judy's grandfather tells her to shake him

2) Drink when Richard changes profession

3) Drink whenever the audience is asked to pretend there is a resemblance between Anna Maxwell Martin and Gillian Anderson

Hah, yes to the non-resemblance. Until it became obvious where they were going with their supposed relationship, it just looked like Esther was attracting oddballs staring at her in the street.

After Bleak House aired, anytime I'd have to help Momo move on the couch or on her chair, I used to say "Shake me up, Judy!" just for the hell of it. I dunno, sometimes you have to make your own fun.

Whatever about the ending of Poldark, the tragic event in that episode near destroyed me. I knew it was coming but it was so well done, so poignant. I cried a little.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 am

I was worried that the Poldark/Demelza storyline was going to be all about the righteous man deigning to cast is affections on his second best wife out of pity, but I thought the development of his affection for her seemed pretty solid.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 pm

bookworm wrote:I was worried that the Poldark/Demelza storyline was going to be all about the righteous man deigning to cast is affections on his second best wife out of pity, but I thought the development of his affection for her seemed pretty solid.

I'm also impressed that all three of the main female characters (Demelza, Verity--yay Verity!-- and Elizabeth) are all good eggs and decent people. I mean, I feel sorry for Francis but Elizabeth is much too good for him. And Ross had JUST BETTER be aware he's damned lucky to have Demelza, too.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Not coincidentally, I've been watching the original Poldark series on DVD, which I got as a gift on Mother's Day. I'm planning to watch the remake after I finish. The original has aged well, as costume dramas tend to do, but I had truly forgotten
Spoiler:

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:01 pm

[quote="QueenSix"]
big chicken wrote:Whatever about the ending of Poldark, the tragic event in that episode near destroyed me. I knew it was coming but it was so well done, so poignant. I cried a little.

Woudl he really be
Spoiler:
That's not sarcasm, genuine question. It kinda distracted me a bit because it felt like they were trying to make it as melodramatic as possible.

Not coincidentally, I've been watching the original Poldark series on DVD, which I got as a gift on Mother's Day. I'm planning to watch the remake after I finish. The original has aged well, as costume dramas tend to do, but I had truly forgotten

Yeah, I started skimming the books a little (well I read the first two, and the the rest of them started having kindle errors, so warning for any of you who might want to get it off of amazon us, anywaay) and

Spoiler:
Does that happen in the 1975 series? And if they
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes, that's exactly what happens, ulkis. I had completely forgotten that part of the storyline (which isn't surprising, given how long ago I watched it the first time), and I'm so disgusted I don't even feel like watching the rest. I have no idea how they'll handle something like that in the current incarnation.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Jude wrote:Yes, that's exactly what happens, ulkis. I had completely forgotten that part of the storyline (which isn't surprising, given how long ago I watched it the first time), and I'm so disgusted I don't even feel like watching the rest. I have no idea how they'll handle something like that in the current incarnation.

Thanks. I hoping they make it
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:11 pm

[quote="ulkis"]
QueenSix wrote:
big chicken wrote:Whatever about the ending of Poldark, the tragic event in that episode near destroyed me. I knew it was coming but it was so well done, so poignant. I cried a little.

Woudl he really be
Spoiler:
That's not sarcasm, genuine question. It kinda distracted me a bit because it felt like they were trying to make it as melodramatic as possible.

I think he would be because there was nobody else to do it and it was small. (sniffle). Plus having worked in the mines, he'd be strong enough to manage. (sniffle).

I watched the original series on one of the (since rebranded) UK digital channels about 10 years ago and they mustn't have shown the series in its entirety because I don't recall what you're mentioning and I haven't read the later books. But yes, that would have to be altered somewhat, I'm thinking, otherwise they've sold us Ross Poldark as an romantic hero of sorts who does the right thing regardless of personal cost and what you've mentioned, that ain't anything like that!

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:22 pm

I've decided to try to watch some of the original series . . . everyone's hair is horrible, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 pm

I know, right? Given the size of the hair, I'm amazed the actresses managed to stay upright.

I spent several episodes trying to figure out why George Warleggan looks so familiar, and then I finally realized I think he may look a bit like Colin Firth.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Jude wrote:I know, right? Given the size of the hair, I'm amazed the actresses managed to stay upright.

I spent several episodes trying to figure out why George Warleggan looks so familiar, and then I finally realized I think he may look a bit like Colin Firth.

He does.

They went to town on people's teeth too. There were a couple of close-ups on Jud's teeth . . . iiiiiiiiick.

I am enjoying it though, despite the hair and the teeth.

Elizabeth in this version is unbelievably annoying.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3