Literary Crushes

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Literary Crushes

Post  Lis on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

I am very unoriginal, I know, but YES! to Atticus Finch and, as someone said, in all likelihood his grown-up son. Also Lord Peter Wimsey as well as his ingenious butler Bunter (it is possible to love more than one person at the same time, TV-crush Patch Abbott taught me); then there's Remus Lupin -oh! And very importantly: Gunnar, a.k.a. "John" form Lars Saabye Christensen's Beatles (the German, as it were, title is Yesterday, which is even more fitting, I think), which I wish more people had read, so I could talk to them about it!; and finally Gunvald Larsson. Yeah. That should be it. For now.

Lis

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:19 am

Almanzo is hot like fire. Good work, Laura.

Both Jim (Honey's adopted redheaded brother with the tragic past) and Brian (Trixie's older brother, not Mart the annoying brother) from the Trixie Belden books. Also Ned Nickerson from the Nancy Drew books. HAHA PSYCH.

And I loved Sam Beaver from The Trumpet of the Swan.

Yes to Atticus Finch, obviously, though Gregory Peck certainly didn't hurt there.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  roseland on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm another one with a crush on Atticus Finch. It doesn't hurt that he looks like Gregory Peck.

I also have a crush on Jamie Fraser from the Outlander series and Roarke from the In Death series. Both of these men are gorgeous, devoted and great in a knife fight.

roseland

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm in the minority of Outlander fans by not having a crush on Jamie. Roger Wakefield/MacKenzie and Lord John Grey, on the other hand? Wonderful. I'd marry either one in a hot second, even though Lord John is gay.

Another Jem who I bet is awesome all grown up - Jem Blythe. Oh, and Kent Ford.

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:17 am

Too many crushes to enumerate all. But I have to mention the biggest of all my literary crushes (from my teen years, naturally)--Matt McKendrick, from the Truth Trap series by Frances A. Miller--I never wrote any actual fanfic, but I definitely spent much time in boring classes daydreaming fanfic stories. Also, I loved, loved, loved Howl from Howl's Moving Castle. And I liked Michael from the Echo Company series/Road Home books by Ellen Emerson White quite a bit.

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:37 am

I liked Michael a lot, too. One of my thrift store treasures is finding a copy of the Echo Company book where he meets Rebecca. They need to rerelease that series along with The Road Home.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:12 am

I thought I was the only one who ever read the Echo Company books! I agree Michael was hot, and Snoopy was adorable. The same author wrote another Vietnam book in the Dear America series, and the girl protagonist turns out to know Finnegan, who I also liked.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:05 am

True, the other guys were also pretty crushworthy. Since we're anyway on the topic of EEW books, I also really liked Derek from Life Without Friends--a teenage girl's dream boyfriend, right?

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 am

Patrick from Friends For Life was pretty damn awesome, too. As is the DA from her adult mystery. I read somewhere that the childhood doctor Dana calls in All Emergecies, Ring Super is Rebecca from Echo Company and The Road Home and that she is married to Michael.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:24 am

stargirl wrote:True, the other guys were also pretty crushworthy. Since we're anyway on the topic of EEW books, I also really liked Derek from Life Without Friends--a teenage girl's dream boyfriend, right?

Looooove Derek, oh man. Also, if you haven't read Long May She Reign (the 4th book in the President's Daughter series, it came out just a few years ago) some of the characters from the Friends for Life/Life Without Friends books pop up.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am

I just discovered the joy of Rosemary Sutcliff's books, and after reading The Eagle of the Ninth I've got a terrible crush on Marcus Flavius Aquila.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue May 01, 2012 12:29 am

I read her Sword at Sunset for Arthurian Lit in college, and LOVED it. I had a hell of a time finding a copy, so I will treasure it now.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am

I was rereading The Prize in the Game for the jillionth time and finally realized that if Conal were a real person, I would probably be as in love with him as Emer is.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 am

Luthien wrote:I just discovered the joy of Rosemary Sutcliff's books, and after reading The Eagle of the Ninth I've got a terrible crush on Marcus Flavius Aquila.
You may or may not want to check out the movie version from last year, depending on your tolerance for a) Channing Tatum Channing in general and b) him attempting a period piece, complete with actual emotions, in particular. It's pretty hilarious, especially since the settings and scenery are uncannily effective and documentary-like and the movie could have been AMAZING--and then he's all "durrrr" in the middle of it. Although, double bonus (bonii?): He and Jamie Bell are both shirtless often enough to dull the pain, and there is grade-A barely-even-subtext hoyay to an extent that almost boggles the mind.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte on Wed May 02, 2012 10:21 am

I loved 'The Eagle' - Jamie Bell isn't exactly over-burdened with dialogue, but his screen presence is off the charts, and he's looking good (though I still feel like I shouldn't say that about Billy Elliot). Totally agree about the subtext-as-text though, it's verging on canon.

I thought Channing Tatum did okay, and overall it was a really enjoyable film - mind, it's years since I read the book so I could be missing some awful thing they did.
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Wed May 02, 2012 2:55 pm

I watched it and Tatum was actually pretty good--pretty good by his standards, anyway. I think he's improved from what he was. He'll never be a great actor, but I can now rank him ahead of Sam Worthington on my list of "actors who get cast because they're pretty". Jamie Bell and Donald Sutherland doing such great work around him in The Eagle probably helped a lot. The movie was quite different from the book, especially the second half, and yet very much like it in terms of the atmosphere, which the director got perfectly. And it could have been worse: they could have cast Zac Efron as Marcus or something.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top