Movies at Home

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movies at Home

Post  Binky on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 pm

Huh, I thought Buried was boring and kind of predictable (in a predict the twist) way. I did think Ryan was good in it, though. But I've always thought he was a good actor. It's the fact that he ends up in very shitty movies that is the issue.

Speaking of shitty movies: I netflixed Predators. Mostly because it had Topher Grace in it, as well as Walton Goggins. I love both of them. However, you know who is NOT an action star and should not star in a movie offspring of Predator, which might be one of the best action movies ever? Adrien Brody. Yeah, just no. No.

So, there was lots wrong with Predators, but the issue besides Brody is, can I not have an actual HERO in my action movies anymore? The people being hunted by the Predators in this movie are: a rapist on death row, a serial killer, a Yakuza gangmember (PURELY for the samurai-sword fight scene, I bet), a Somali warlord, a Chechen terrorist, a special forces soldier, and a black ops mercenary. I might be forgetting someone. But all of these people think killing is awesome. Hardy har har, predators killing human predators.

I am sick and tired of GrimDark. I want a damn hero. I don't need freaking superman, but Adrien Brody's character doesn't even appear to have a conscience for most of the movie. I kind of wanted the Predator to win. Maybe I'm old and cranky, but can I get a hero I can root for?

Grouch. I will applaud some of the more subtle callbacks to Predator, but they also made me remember exactly why this movie failed all over the place.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:56 pm

While I see your point about unsympathetic characters, I still love Predators. For that matter, Predator 2. I don't like the original.

Yes, I have terrible taste in movies.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:35 am

Fast Five, which is quite possibly the most RIDICULOUS movie I've ever seen. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker realistically should have died, like, ten times during the opening thirty minutes. But overall, it was really fun! I'm anxious to see how this franchise tops itself with the next installment.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:35 am

Fast Five, which is quite possibly the most RIDICULOUS movie I've ever seen. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker realistically should have died, like, ten times during the opening thirty minutes. But overall, it was really fun! I'm anxious to see how this franchise tops itself with the next installment.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 am

jcpdiesel21 wrote:Fast Five, which is quite possibly the most RIDICULOUS movie I've ever seen. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker realistically should have died, like, ten times during the opening thirty minutes. But overall, it was really fun! I'm anxious to see how this franchise tops itself with the next installment.

Fast Five is ridiculously fun. There's some review out there that so totally embraces its cinematic aesthetic using only variations of the words "butt" and "jump" ah...Cracked

The big movie that kicks off the summer blockbuster season is just cars, punches, jump-punches, butts, one-liners, jumping, butt-jumps, leaping-quips, butt-carring and punch-punches.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  caltrask55 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 am

Does anyone know the final production costs of that movie?

According to Ebert's review of the movie it was 3M.

caltrask55

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:22 am

Thank you, caltrask55. That is incredibly low, and yet the movie seems, for the most part, to have exceeded what most might expect from such a small production. I really need to watch that movie already! Is it billed as a horror movie, by any chance? I know it should be unnerving, but I'm a total wimp so if it's outright scream-inducing, I might have to reconsider because I get frightened for days on end whenever I read or watch something chilling.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 am

No; it really is old-fashioned Hitchcockian thriller - Strangers on a Train or Notorious, where the screws keep getting twisted tighter and tighter on a tense situation. But it's not horror - not even as much as Psycho or The Birds.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:54 am

Okay, that I can deal with, so thank you!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 am

Captain America was fun but man I am tired of superhero movies being obviously set up for a sequel. I can't think of one I've seen lately that could be a stand-alone.

Terri was very sweet. And I am glad that it didn't turn into some teenage melodrama.
Spoiler:
Nobody OD'ed, the assistant principal wasn't a pedophile, Uncle James didn't die.
Just a nice little movie with some strong performances.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:11 am

I get so sad at the thought that if there's a Captain America sequel greenlighted after the upcoming Avengers movie, it won't include Peggy.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:12 am

Peggy was awesome, what with her red, red lipstick and punching-out of douchebags.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:22 am

If not for Peggy and her dynamics with Steve, the movie would have been so much less grounded and sincere. It was refreshing that the character wasn't just some love interest making moon eyes at the hero. She was intelligent and confident and a tremendously valuable asset to Steve's development and to the military.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 am

There's actually been a lot of talk that a Captain America sequel would, at least in part, fit into that great big montage sequence in the middle. So Peggy's still a possibility.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Watched Biutiful last night - the "Feel Bad" movie of 2010. I learned two things:

1. Javier Bardem has a magnificent profile.
2. I have nothing to complain about in my life ever again.

Good movie, great performance, but seriously - it made Requiem for a Dream look like a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Wow. That really must be depressing because I remember watching Requiem for a Dream in college and thinking, "This is the most harrowing movie I've ever seen. It's like Scared Straight for drug addicts."

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:07 pm

I got Mysterious Skin from Netflix this week, based on the fact that it had Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a starring role. I didn't know anything else about it besides that his character was a gay prostitute from the netflix blurb. I should have done a little more research, folks, since the entire movie was about child molestation, and a good 60% of the scenes depicted that, and then there's a scene where JGL gets raped as an adult.

JGL's performance is very powerful, as is that of a teenager (Brady Corbet) I've never heard of. But the movie is about horrifying child abuse and it's very tough to watch. You want to reach through the screen and pull those children through it and save them. I think it dealt well with the subject matter over all, supported enormously by the performances, but the main plot line: Brady Corbet's character is convinced that he was abducted by aliens as a child, when these memories are actually of
Spoiler:
being molested with JGL by their baseball coach
is too weak and obvious. The final revelation is well acted but not particularly cathartic.

In conclusion, do your research before you end up watching a movie about child sexual abuse when you're just expecting a drama. I was comforted a bit by the commentary that explained how they filmed the child molestation scenes without the child actors knowing or occasionally even being present through a lot of camera angle trickery.
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:44 pm

That movie left me a mess when I watched it. I knew the plot but it was just so depressing to watch. There are very few movies where they are actually good and I'll never watch them again but that is one of them.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Horrible Bosses started out pretty strong, and I thought the first half was very funny. However, I was disappointed at the unsatisfying way that everything wrapped up at the end.
Spoiler:
I was genuinely surprised when Harken shot Pellitt, and wish that the movie had gone in a direction where Julia had gotten caught up with these two and all of the bosses had, in effect, taken care of each other in some manner. What happened with Julia at the end didn't seem like enough to make up for all of her previous nasty behavior. I really enjoyed how much Colin Farrell transformed himself so much to play Pellitt, so was sad to see him exit the movie so early.
I did have to laugh at the fact that there was a character named Motherfucker Jones, and loved seeing former Donkey Kong world champion Steve Wiebe in a brief cameo in the beginning and learning that Pellitt was inspired by the nefarious Billy Mitchell!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I love Mysterious Skin and think it's actually about as cathartic and uplifting a take on child abuse as you could get. Obviously mileage varies.

I finally watched Crazy Stupid Love and pretty much loved it. Emma Stone is SO funny, and I loved her chemistry with Gosling. My only real complaint is it could have been shorter by ditching the largely ooky subplot with the babysitter (played by an actress I found aggravating since she neither looked nor behaved the part of a 17 year old girl undermining a great deal of that subplot). I think all that screen time would better have gone to seeing more of Stone/Gosling fall in love. OH and I love Steve Carrell for getting Beth Littleford cast in this, yes Virginia there as a funny Daily Show before Jon Stewart showed up.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:57 pm

My only real complaint is it could have been shorter by ditching the largely ooky subplot with the babysitter (played by an actress I found aggravating since she neither looked nor behaved the part of a 17 year old girl undermining a great deal of that subplot). I think all that screen time would better have gone to seeing more of Stone/Gosling fall in love.

Yes, yes, yes. The babysitter is played by an actress three days younger than Emma Stone, which is why the trailers that put her, Stone, and Moore as "three different generations" just cracked me up. I did like the actor who played the son, though.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:01 am

queenofdenile wrote:
My only real complaint is it could have been shorter by ditching the largely ooky subplot with the babysitter (played by an actress I found aggravating since she neither looked nor behaved the part of a 17 year old girl undermining a great deal of that subplot). I think all that screen time would better have gone to seeing more of Stone/Gosling fall in love.

Yes, yes, yes. The babysitter is played by an actress three days younger than Emma Stone, which is why the trailers that put her, Stone, and Moore as "three different generations" just cracked me up. I did like the actor who played the son, though.

The part where she
Spoiler:
actually gave the kid naked pictures of herself was so, so wrong.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 am

So true! I would have liked to see more of Emma/Ryan or Emma and her best friend (who was hilarious) in general. I did not care about the babysitter girl at all, and the spoiler inversed mentioned was just not right.

I finally watched Serenity last night. It was good, although there were some giant plot holes. And Josh Whendon's penchant for killing people, but I knew about that. I was still mad. Inara remains a boring plot device character and I don't believe her and Mal's "relationship". The trap scene was pretty funny, especially the outtake. Also, the actor who plays Simon Tam has a nice back.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 pm

We watched Scream 4 last night and it was okay. Several things were immediately obvious though: Courtney Cox needs to stop messing with her face because it's making her look weird and old, which I'm guessing is the exact opposite of what she is trying to achieve (and she was perfectly beautiful as she was!), people in horror movies need to SHUT THEIR DAMN CURTAINS at night and their survival chances would go up, like, 1000%, and Hayden Panettiere does not look good with super short hair and was trying waaaay too hard to be the tough girl.

I found it less snarky and amusing than the first and second one, and we guessed the killer fairly quickly. Also there were a couple of scenes that seemed like a blatant copy of stuff from the first film. Still, it was nice to see Neve Campbell in a film again - I hope she enjoys a bit of a career revival as a result.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:53 pm

We watched Pirates of the Carribbean: On Stranger Tides and Source Code. Pirates was such a disappointment. I had read reviews that said it wasn't great which is why I waited for it come out on DVD but even then, it was not good. There were at least four fight set pieces in the first forty minutes alone! As for the missionary and the mermaid, it was very hard to get invested in either of them. I'm not even sure what happened to them in the end, to be honest. I expected a bit more closure. Unless there was a scene at the end of the credit and I didn't watch that long.

Source Code was interesting. My mother declared in the first ten minutes that Jake Gyllenhaal's character
Spoiler:
was dead
. She's uncanny that way. I got a bit confused about the ending.
Spoiler:
Does this mean that Jake G. has taken over the Pete guy's life in the real world or have they just extended the alternate universe within the source code?
Other than that bit of fridge logic (a term I only recently came to know thanks to Cleo's Breaking Dawn review) taking over my brain, it was very enjoyable and entertaining.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top