Movies at Home

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movies at Home

Post  killershrew on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:06 pm

We watched several very different movies recently. Here they are, in descending order of how much we liked them:

Machete -- lots of fun. Big over-the-top action movie. Danny Trejo is awesome.

Julie and Julia -- my favorite part was the relationship between Julia Child and her husband. They seemed to have a great love. My mom has a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking that dates from the 1960s or 1970s and looks just like the one that Julia takes out at the end of the movie.

Limitless -- apart from the bit where
Spoiler:
Bradley Cooper's character drinks the guy's blood at the end
, we thought it was entertaining. We were especially interested in it because of its connection to that whole stupid "you only use 10% of your brain" myth (though in the movie they upped it to 20%).

Black Swan -- maybe I had just heard too much hype beforehand, but I was seriously underwhelmed. Natalie Portman did a nice job, and it was overall a well-made movie, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I did, however, get to explain to Mr. Shrew the concept of "body horror", which he was not terribly interested in but responded to politely.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:18 pm

I too saw Black Swan recently and was quite disappointed. I didn't enjoy it at all.

I watched Buried last night, and thought that was great. I felt claustrophobic just at the idea of filming it, let alone the actual scenario!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:38 pm

I watched Morning Glory on Netflix last night, due to Roger Ebert's recent Facebook recommendation. I liked it! Wasn't really expecting to. What I liked most was
Spoiler:
how the movie really focused on Becky and her job, and not a romantic prospect. Of course it was sort of there, but it was like the C or D storyline. And I liked that they showed she was really good at her job too, and that by being thrown into a network morning news show, she could still hold her own.
I appreciated that a lot.

What I didn't appreciate was Harrison Ford. I've never really gotten the appeal (not a Star Wars fan (I know, I know, blasphemy) and have never seen the Indiana Jones movies), but his choices were really weird in this movie. He was gruffer than normal, and his voice was like three registers lower than normal. Not sure about that.

I also thought
Spoiler:
the pairing of him and Diane Keaton as anchors was implausible. No disrespect, but there's no WAY a floundering network would have not one, but TWO of its anchors over the age of 50.

But it was still pretty good. I'm a huge McAdams fangirl though, so. Love her. She's luminous.

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:00 pm

I liked McAdams a lot but Ford was actually my favorite part. Huh.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:00 pm

UGH. I really really wanted to watch this today - I Redboxed it when I was on maternity leave and remember liking it, but that's about it. I tried adding it to my Instant queue and it's there when I look at the queue online, but isn't showing up on the queue through my Tivo. Everything else on the queue is, including other stuff I added today. I tried moving it to #1, deleting and re-adding, even restarting the Tivo, and nothing. It is PISSING ME OFF.

</rant that belongs in a different thread>

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:40 am

I finally saw the original Fright Night, which was extremely dated but silly, gross and fun. I'm anxious to see the recent remake and compare. Was it meant to be a comedy? If not, it was often unintentionally hilarious, but this could be the dated special effects coming into play. However, I thought the actor who played "Evil" Ed was TERRIBLE; he had many goofy or horribly bad line readings.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:24 am

I have so much love for that movie and Chris Sarandon in it, and his sexy disco dance seduction. Yes it is wonderfully campy and dated. I think it was meant to be half and half. Only the comedy parts hold up. But the serious parts become comedy! Like how I can never tell the difference between the leads girlfriend and mother in certain scenes.

The remake is actually quite good. All the actors are very good. And its a comedy but the frightening elements are actually frightening, because Colin Farrell really plays the character as an animal. Like I said I loved Chris Sarandon and Roddy McDowell, but the rest of the cast was meh in the original Fright Night so the remake actually really improves on that. And Colin Farrell and David Tennant live up to the originals.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 am

Watching The Fugitive right now. Scary to think that this iconic 90s film of my childhood is almost 20 years old. I was in love with Harrison Ford at the time, but this film is all about Tommy Lee Jones. And he's so funny. I whined about brilliant performances by Ralph Fiennes and Leonardo DiCaprio being shafted by the Academy, but I kind of understand why the entirely less dramatic and more everyman/stock character by TLJ received such acclaim. It really is a masterful example of a performance advancing the film, rather than exposition.

I totally wish they would have made another US Marshals movie, as the camaraderie between the team (Joey Pants!) was perfect.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:52 pm

The parents are well and truly addicted to Battlestar Galactica and we've run out of episodes, so I have been clearing my Netflix slate so we can get Season 3. This is a good thing anyway since I've been out of the movie-watching habit lately and that is a waste of money. So this weekend I watched Ten Canoes, which is a story about Australian aboriginal people, shot mostly in their language. It's narrated by a guy telling a story set in the past, which is of someone telling a story set in the even further past. It was actually pretty funny and lighthearted. The special features included a one-hour documentary on the making of it, which was possibly even more interesting than the movie. The filmmaker got the idea from photos taken by this guy, and although the people in the movie were enthusiastic about making it -- they were happy that it was showing their culture to the world, and bringing back past traditions for those who had forgotten them -- there were still a lot of complications: from the fact that they had to worry about crocodiles in the swamp where they were shooting to the customs about kinship that required very specific conditions for two people to even pretend to be married in a movie. Quite cool.

Then last night I watched Ma Vie en Rose, which is about a little Belgian 7-year-old who was born a boy but thinks (nay, knows) that he is a girl, thus causing all kinds of upheaval in the family/neighborhood. Netflix with its usual not-quite-ness lists it as a "comedy," but it was really a drama even if it did have light funny moments. The little boy who was the main character was adorable. The movie is from 1997 so it was interesting to ponder if it would be any different today now that there's been a bit more publicity about transgender kids. I thought it was pretty realistic in that the parents were alternately horrible/shitty, and loving/defensive of the kid. The non-linearity of their flailing seemed fairly accurate. Many of the Netflix reviews are of people saying "I thought this was the Edith Piaf movie."
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:38 am

Forgotten Silver, a Peter Jackson project about a forgotten Kiwi movie pioneer. It's really well done, just on the right side of absurd, apart from one moment. Computer enhancement does not work that way!

I even spotted a LOTR location! The road where the hobbits first dodge the Nazgul, I'm sure it was part of the trail to the city.

Anyone else seen this?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 pm

We watched Trust on Friday night with Clive Owen and Catherine Keener. I knew nothing about it going in and thought it was really well done. It's about a 14 year old girl who falls prey to an online predator and it certainly gave us a lot to think about in terms of kids and technologly and monitoring what they do online.

Then Saturday night we watched Limitless, which was okay. I would have like to have seen a bit more about the journey he took in the last twelve months to get to where he was in the end, but it was entertaining enough.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Scrooged, which somehow I had never seen until now. It was silly and a lot of fun. I particularly enjoyed the scenes with Bill Murray and Carol Kane, they were so funny together!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:42 am

All I can think of through that entire scene is that she ripped the connective tissue between his gum and lower lip during that scene. Owie.

The movie doesn't quite gel for me. I think Frank takes too long to start coming around on the "message" and then flips way too quickly at the end. Scrooge, typically, begins to feel a gnawing at his soul during his time with the first spirit, but I didn't get the feeling that Frank started paying any attention until the third.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  jaraga on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 am

Watch Gambit last night. It's 1960 something movie starring Michael Caine and Shirley MacClaine. I sought it out because it is being remade by the Coen Brothers and will star Colin Firth and Cameron Diaz.

It's a heist comedy and a movie very much of its time (Shirley MacClaine plays a half-Chinese woman). It was not bad.

I can see why it would appeal to the Coens since there's a lot of "things are not quite what they seem".

jaraga

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah, I enjoyed it but that is one of those movies I don't mind being seen remade. Its got an interesting premise but it isn't quite all it could be.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:07 pm

I watched One Day, which was better than I expected, but not great. To be fair, though, my expectations weren't all that high. Anne Hathaway's weird accent was distracting. I'd read the book (and threw it across the room when I finished), so I thought I was prepared, but I actually got the Claire-Danes-Ugly-Cry going at the end. I kind of felt about it like I did The Time Traveler's Wife* - this movie is not great, but when I want a sappy, girly movie, I will totally watch it.

*which I saw on a plane, and SOBBED at for like the last 20 minutes, because I knew what was coming. THAT was embarrassing.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:02 pm

I saw Thor and totally fell in love with Natalie Portman. Which was entirely unexpected given my previous non-opinion of her. She was very funny.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:00 pm

While knitting Christmas presents, I put on Babe, which I haven't seen in ages. I love that movie; it is so cute, and I love the scenery. This movie just makes me so happy.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:30 am

Attack the Block was violent, gross and scary yet ultimately smart and enjoyable. If you're thinking about renting this, keep in mind that despite the presence of Nick Frost and the fact that Edgar Wright is one of the executive producers, this isn't in the vein of the Pegg/Frost/Wright humorous takes on genres; it's pretty much a straight-up monster movie with occasional humor. And it does focus on a group of thugs that immediately come across as complete assholes at first, but kind of grow on you as you get to know them throughout the rest of the movie.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 am

I loved parts of Tree of Life. but other parts just gave me the giggles something fierce. Brad Pitt was quite good and some of it was beautifully evocative of a certain era, bringing back memories of my childhood (the DDT trucks, just how horrible young, unsupervised boys in packs can be), but overall it struck me as the ultimate stereotypical art house film with its breathy, rhetorical God-questioning voice-overs, endless waving kelp shots and, of course, the dinosaurs.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:28 am

Our Idiot Brother was really cute. Paul Rudd seemed to be having a great time (doesn't he always?). Some of the subplots were underdeveloped, but it wasn't a terribly serious movie. The only thing I couldn't stand was Rashida Jones' glasses.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:50 pm

I watched Rango last night - that is one odd, odd movie. Enjoyable. But odd.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Went to a movie/potluck last night and watched The Hudsucker Proxy (seen it before, always enjoyable, Tim Robbins is VERY tall) and Troll Hunter, which was fucking awesome and I loved it.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Putli Bai wrote:I watched Rango last night - that is one odd, odd movie. Enjoyable. But odd.

Exactly. I enjoyed it greatly, but it was not at all what I expected it to be. Fortunately, it was better.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:07 am

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil which was hilarious. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine play a pair of hillbillies who just want to enjoy their cabin for the weekend except this group of college kids camping in the woods nearby think that they are crazed killers. Things get more and more insane as the kids start to die in more ludicrous ways. So funny and uses knowledge of the various "crazed mountain folk" type movies for lots of humor without just being a spoof.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top