Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+95
Shadowlass
draco vulgaris
ariadne
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
PineappleGirl
Coneycat
Poubelle
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
Raised by wolves
wenchsenior
sen3
puddingcup
PrincessCleo
Never Enough
Bad Username
dreago
Escape
mandalaya
UmaOprah
chibimanda
Fiammetta
Carrie Ann
jensa
Swarley
Luthien
darthtall
pamchenko
ActonBell
FiggyPudding
Agent Sculder
Jamie
Tabby
Raksha
ulkis
epudom
mrinsouciance
The Dude
Menshevixen
Snarryfan
swsa
Matinee
MaddyCat
Jude
Gillian
Miss Moneypenny
xyzzy
TiffanyNichelle
Cutebutpsycho
biakbiak
themis
truecrystal
Corellderaan
RiverThames
tothemax
Eris Rising
laurelin_kit
rivki8699
mokey75
jaraga
Instant Monkeys
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
killershrew
QueenSix
punzy
bbridges
caltrask55
sagitare
Red Wolf
laddical
nikita
Algae
Rhilin
Binky
choubetcha
naughty zoot
mayram
inversed
Unlucky Bear
curryalley
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Morning Angel
Cynara
eventide82
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
blixie
katesti
Putli Bai
99 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 36 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  MaddyCat Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 pm

I have no excuse for why I watched Wrath of the Titans, but I did. And I essentially rolled my eyes the entire time. Even the combined hot factor of Sam Worthington (whose hair was...not good) and Edgar Ramirez (who was mustache-twirling evil) was not enough. I did invent a drinking game for every time someone shouted "BROTHERRRRR" and that made things better.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Saw I Love You, Man and I loved it. It's not a movie I would normally see, but it was on a list of movies to see when you need cheering up, or some such, so I tried it. Funny and relatable, and the acting was great. Great scenes: Paul Rudd getting nervous about calling Jason Segel for a man-date; Jason Segel's toast apology; Jon Favreau in just about every scene. I was surprised to see that Paul Rudd is 11 years older than Jason Segel. If anything, Segel looks older than Rudd (is it the alcohol? See Blind Items thread). And J.K. Simmons, who plays Rudd's dad, is only 14 yrs older than him. Rudd looks like a baby.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 pm

It's been... 18 years?... since Clueless and a decade since Friends. That's hard for me to believe. Or handle.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm

puddingcup wrote:Saw I Love You, Man and I loved it. It's not a movie I would normally see, but it was on a list of movies to see when you need cheering up, or some such, so I tried it. Funny and relatable, and the acting was great. Great scenes: Paul Rudd getting nervous about calling Jason Segel for a man-date; Jason Segel's toast apology; Jon Favreau in just about every scene. I was surprised to see that Paul Rudd is 11 years older than Jason Segel. If anything, Segel looks older than Rudd (is it the alcohol? See Blind Items thread). And J.K. Simmons, who plays Rudd's dad, is only 14 yrs older than him. Rudd looks like a baby.

My brother's girlfriend loaned me that movie and I was surprised how much I liked it, too. It was just so damned good-natured. And no, I would not have picked Segel as younger than Rudd, in a million years.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Coneycat wrote:My brother's girlfriend loaned me that movie and I was surprised how much I liked it, too. It was just so damned good-natured.

Good-natured is a great way to describe it! I really enjoyed it too. I also really liked that his fiancee wanted this friendship for him and didn't end up being a bad guy at all.

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I LOVE that movie. And Paul Rudd. And yeah, I had NO idea he and Jason Segel were that far apart in age. Then again, Paul Rudd basically looks the same as he did in Wet Hot American Summer.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:55 pm

UmaOprah wrote:
Coneycat wrote:My brother's girlfriend loaned me that movie and I was surprised how much I liked it, too. It was just so damned good-natured.

Good-natured is a great way to describe it! I really enjoyed it too. I also really liked that his fiancee wanted this friendship for him and didn't end up being a bad guy at all.

Yes! The fact the fiancee was a nice reasonable person we were also supposed to like was unexpected and enjoyable. It was one of those movies that just avoided all sorts of traps that would have been easy to fall into.

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:02 pm

It was one of those movies that just avoided all sorts of traps that would have been easy to fall into.

That's why I appreciated the Segel apology scene, where he apologizes for his inappropriate toast, instead of some bs "hey, that's the way I roll, I'm honest and real, take it or leave it" hooey. Made him seem human, and not some charismatic in movies, jerk in real life, character. Loved Lou Ferrigno's involvement too.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Coneycat wrote:
UmaOprah wrote:I also really liked that his fiancee wanted this friendship for him and didn't end up being a bad guy at all.
Yes! The fact the fiancee was a nice reasonable person we were also supposed to like was unexpected and enjoyable. It was one of those movies that just avoided all sorts of traps that would have been easy to fall into.
AGREED. That's one thing I really liked about it, and that's exactly how I'd put it: it avoided a lot of pitfalls that a lesser movie would not have. Rashida Jones's character being a cool, reasonable person being the biggest example. Because! Sometimes you can have conflict in a relationship and it doesn't mean one of the two people is a shrewish fun-killer!

I feel like a lot of times movies (coughApatowcough) feel like they HAVE to go to these crazy, outrageous, obnoxious, gross, mean heights to be funny, like they don't even want to necessarily but they feel that that is how you make a movie like that. And it was so refreshing to see this one just...not do that, but still be funny. And not in a "oh ho ho, that Mr. Rudd did a merry tap-dance while piping upon a pipe, how amusing!" way. They just carved some slightly atypical paths to get to the humor.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Awww, Paul Rudd's character is just so doofy and naive and loveable in I Love You, Man! You cringe when he first starts hanging out with Segel's character because his jokes are so lame and awkward, but then he starts getting more comfy with him, and then you just feel all happy that he finally has a guy friend!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 am

AND THEN THEY GO TO RUSH TOGETHER!

Although I was very disappointed that neither of them offered to lift the girlfriend up on their shoulders. I hate it when people do that at shows I'm at in real life, but it would have been fun in the movie. (And she would have felt less left out!)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 pm

I was just able to see Flight and Argo now that they're both available on Netflix. And this is probably acting heresy, but I thought Denzel Washington's performance in Flight was better than DDL's in Lincoln. He was just ridiculously good. It's so hard to play an alcoholic without being crazy over the top, and he wasn't at all. It was so very real and grounded and heartbreakingly sad.

Argo was really good too. The suspense was killer. But mostly I am amazed at how much more attractive I find Ben Affleck rocking the late 70s era fashion and hair. I always thought he was good looking, but something about that particular look just suited him. Even the gold chain was perfect! While I'm not quite convinced it should have won Best Picture, it was a thoroughly entertaining movie with great performances so I can't complain too much.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 pm

I don't know about Denzel being better than DDL, but it was criminal how little attention he got for that performance, which was amazing. I couldn't help but think in a weaker year for that category, he might have won.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 am

I just watched a documentary online called Huldufólk (Icelandic for "hidden folk"), which is about the deep belief in the elves in modern Iceland. It was really amazing to hear all those stories and see how those beliefs can have such a huge impact on things. Like, they regularly re-route roads around certain rocks where the huldufólk live, or they'll very carefully move these rocks (like, massive boulders) and reassemble them somewhere nearby. It's really fascinating.

Also, most of the people in this speak in English, but there are some subtitles.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 am

That sounds AWESOME. I will be checking it out. Thanks!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm

I am so excited to see this! When I was in Iceland, most of the folks I talked to didn't say they believed in elves but also didn't say they DIDN'T believe in them. Lots of homes had little houses outside for elves and there were a few rock formations that were described in the brochure as "Yup, elves live here." Amusingly, at one point my husband and I stopped for a rest on a hike, and my husband started pitching stones at a large rock not too far away. NONE of them hit the rock, even though it was an easy shot. We decided that it was probably because it was an elf house. Interestingly, we never saw a drawing or image of what an elf might look like.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 am

We watched Perks of Being a Wallflower yesterday and liked it a lot. I'd read the book ages ago, when it first came out, and I remembered almost nothing other than Things Are Going to Go Horribly Wrong Here.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Friends With Kids, which was okay. I was really distracted by Jennifer Westfeldt. I couldn't tell if her character was just really poorly defined or if her immobile face prevented her from emoting. She needs to lay off the fillers, especially in her cheeks. I know she directed but I would have liked the movie better with someone else in that role. I also kind of wish that the movie had strayed from the
Spoiler:
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 am

Tree of Life. I'm not saying you have to be stoned to get the most out of it, but my husband who was on painkillers from dental work seemed to be enjoying it much more than I was. We didn't finish it, but I don't think that matters, because nothing was really happening and I don't think anything really would have happened. Pretty to look at, though.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 pm

I couldn't finish that one either. I last about an hour and then hit the fast forward button. It appeared to me that nothing continued to happen. I just...didn't get it.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I have never ever seen so many walk-outs as when I went to see The Tree of Life so I know you guys are not alone. I personally liked it, and it was truly stunning on the big screen, though I feel it could have benefited from slightly tighter editing.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:53 pm

You missed A LOT of whispering people. So much whispering, as much whispering in ToL as there were references to fields of wheat in Gladiator.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:54 pm

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Ow, my heart.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 am

I have no excuse for not having seen that movie yet. I thought the book was very thoughtful, relatable, and moving and had been looking forward to the film adaptation yet never got around to seeing it even when it hit the cheap theater.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Cold Mountain was on tv and it was the first time I've watched it since it came out probably. I forgot that a) everyone in the world was in it. I remembered Giovanni Ribisi but not Natalie Portman or Cillian Murphy. b) I find Jude Law super hot in this (for some reason usually I can take him or leave him and c) Renee Zellweger won an Oscar for this. It was a "sorry we didn't give you an Oscar for some other movie" win right? Because she is pretty bad in this movie, imo. I was thinking to myself, "I know this character is supposed to be salt-of-the-earth and stuff but she's doing her weird face scrunching ten times over except also baring her teeth like a squirrel" and then it hit me that she won an Oscar for the movie.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next