Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies at Home

+95
Shadowlass
draco vulgaris
ariadne
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
PineappleGirl
Coneycat
Poubelle
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
Raised by wolves
wenchsenior
sen3
puddingcup
PrincessCleo
Never Enough
Bad Username
dreago
Escape
mandalaya
UmaOprah
chibimanda
Fiammetta
Carrie Ann
jensa
Swarley
Luthien
darthtall
pamchenko
ActonBell
FiggyPudding
Agent Sculder
Jamie
Tabby
Raksha
ulkis
epudom
mrinsouciance
The Dude
Menshevixen
Snarryfan
swsa
Matinee
MaddyCat
Jude
Gillian
Miss Moneypenny
xyzzy
TiffanyNichelle
Cutebutpsycho
biakbiak
themis
truecrystal
Corellderaan
RiverThames
tothemax
Eris Rising
laurelin_kit
rivki8699
mokey75
jaraga
Instant Monkeys
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Auroura76
Gallifrey Girl
killershrew
QueenSix
punzy
bbridges
caltrask55
sagitare
Red Wolf
laddical
nikita
Algae
Rhilin
Binky
choubetcha
naughty zoot
mayram
inversed
Unlucky Bear
curryalley
whatthedeuce
BreezyK
Morning Angel
Cynara
eventide82
jcpdiesel21
queenofdenile
blixie
katesti
Putli Bai
99 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Movies at Home - Page 38 Empty Re: Movies at Home

Post  Agent Sculder Sun May 26, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm having a Netflix weekend, and I really liked the two of the three, very different films I've watched so far. Dirty Girl is a sweet coming of age story set in 80s Oklahoma about a teenage tramp (played by Juno Temple) taking off with gay buddy to find her real dad. Milla Jovovich plays her mom (nice to see her in a movie where she isn't required to kick ass), and William H Macy pops up as the nice guy she wants to marry. In a lots of ways the movie is super-cliched, but I liked it anyway. Maybe it was the FABULOUS 80s soundtrack. Or maybe it was the hot drifter.

I didn't like From Prada to Nada nearly as much (despite the presence of the guy who played the hot drifter in the previous movie), but it was kinda cute. It's just a modern, re-worked version of Sense & Sensibility set in LA with the two sisters being Mexican-American. My biggest problem with the movie was the character of Mary who is so much shallower than the character she's supposed to resemble in the novel. Marianne wasn't stupid which is often how the character comes off. I liked the parts of the story with Nora and her attraction to her boss much better. Oh, and Wilmer Valderama plays the Colonel Brandon character. Still, it wasn't terrible. Honestly, the thing that pissed me off the most was the truly awful makeup on the two lead characters most of the time.

The other movie I liked was Deadfall which I watched pretty much because Eric Bana is in it. In a lot of ways it reminded me of an old-fashioned Hollywood thriller, just with a lot more violence and sex. I don't want to say too much about the plot because that would spoil it, but it's a really good Thanksgiving from hell movie. Olivia Wilde is good, and Sissy Spacek and Kris Kristofferson are awesome. Eric Bana is super creepy as the bad guy. The movie is just about a hour and a half long and it goes by FAST. There's a really cool snow mobile chase, and the cinematography of the snowy landscape is first rate.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 am

Amazon Prime, I learned, has Empire of the Sun streaming for free.

I may have watched it twice already this weekend.

P-51!! CADILLAC OF THE SKY!
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon May 27, 2013 10:25 am

Ugh that movie guts me every time. Thanks for the heads-up on Amazon Prime!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon May 27, 2013 8:10 pm

There was a BAFTA award or something created specifically for young children in breakout roles because of Bale's performance in that movie, right?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm

AFI created their breakthrough performance award specifically for him, I think.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon May 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Ahhh, it was AFI. I knew there was some institution that created an award because of him. Thanks, Kiran!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter on Netflix (Canada) today. But...all the text that appears onscreen (quote at the beginning, place names, not subtitles) was in Russian. I looked afterwards to see if there was some setting that had got turned on accidently, but I didn't see anything. Weird.

I thought the movie was quite good. There's a horse stampede scene that was amazingly well done. Proof that it wasn't too scary: I didn't have to bail on it half way through.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 am

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Cloud Atlas, and...I still have no idea what's going on. So now I feel stupid. Hate when that happens.

I also brought home The Impossible, which I hear could be hard to watch so I've been putting off watching it. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth putting myself through that?

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 am

The performances are excellent. The special effects are also great. It is extremely difficult to watch, and I did have some issues with the white washing (although the family them self approved the cast) and the focusing on a white family, I was overall glad I watched it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Just streamed End of Watch, which I think was out last year or something and I assumed it was a typical cop/action flick. But it is not. It is so much more than that and way, way better.

Even though I called the ending a mile away, I still really enjoyed it. Nice performance by Jake Gyllenhaal and I was happy to see Anna Kendrick in it too.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:53 pm

The Impossible turns an Asian tsunami into a "white people get their vacation ruined" story. But if I pretend it's just a disaster movie and not based on real-life events, it's a solid tearjerker and all the acting is good.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:24 pm

I watched The Bride of Frankenstein the other night on TCM. I normally don't watch classic movies but this one caught and held my attention. It is a very different style of acting. Movies back then seem to be much shorter than the ones from today!
I wonder if that was the first sequel ever made by Hollywood? It had its amusing scenes and touching scenes.

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 am

Buckaroo Banzai great for the casting of every great weirdo actor of a generation. John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, Vincent Schiaveli, Dan Hedaya... the only one missing is Walken.

John Bigbooty is certainly an exception to the funny name rule.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 am

The Dictator, now streaming on Netflix. SBC definitely pushes some gross boundaries, but I mostly enjoyed it (the central romance was dull). My favorite scene was when the Dictator and one of his men are on a helicopter tour of Manhattan with a (presumably) American couple.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:05 pm

I watched that half-drunk two weeks ago and was amazed at how many times I laughed out loud. Anna Faris has done something awful to her face in recent years, but man, she is so funny and charming! I didn't even know who else was supposed to be in that film and was pleasantly surprised by how well she and SBC played off each other!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Watched Pitch Perfect on demand. I am way behind, I know. But what a fun film! I really enjoyed it, it was very entertaining and I do enjoy a good musical song & dance routine in the middle of any film I'm watching. So it was doubly enjoyable.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 pm

I also just watched Pitch Perfect and it was a delight.

"I'm going to finish him like a CHEESECAKE" might be the best line in the film.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Warm Bodies was pretty good. It *almost* got to being really good but didn't quite make it somehow. The actress playing Jules reminded me a lot of Kristen Stewart, only with more than one facial expression.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Was Nick Hoult completely adorable as a zombie like he seems to be in the film's trailer?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 am

Yes. Yes he was.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:00 am

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, parts 1 and 2. It's pretty intense; nuclear explosions, Superman as a government weapon and willing to kill Batman, etc. I kind of loved that Batman just accepted new Robin and took her under his wing (heh) straight away.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Hit and Run (streaming on netflix) which is a very weird, not good vanity project by Dax Sheppard. It's very sketchy, like characters randomly disappear and show up again. It has some weird not-quite-funny-also-kinda-preachy race and sexuality-based humor. But the cast is very pretty.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 pm

That's been in my instant queue for a while now. I could never really get myself to watch it, and now I won't feel bad about deleting it.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 am

The trailer for that one was one of those I saw in front of every movie last summer and I hated it every single time.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:36 am

I watched The Thomas Crown Affair on PBS (the original one). I loved the cinematography. Very beautifully shot. The outfits and makeup were beautiful! The sexual tension in the chess game was excellently captured! I liked that the ending was not a neatly packed, resolved one. I thought that Thomas Crown fit the description of a psychopath.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next