Celebrity Good Quotes

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Celebrity Good Quotes

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Miss Moneypenny wrote:From the amazing Maurice Sendak:

“Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children’s letters — sometimes very hastily — but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, “Dear Jim: I loved your card.” Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said, “Jim loved your card so much he ate it.” That to me was one of the highest compliments I’ve ever received. He didn’t care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it.”
That is fantastic.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:51 pm

bloomtoperish wrote:
bbridges wrote:As a person who also reacts to most strong emotions with tears I completely understood where she was coming from. Also she was so cute telling the story. I think Kristen Bell is a really good talk show guest. Have you guys seen her on the Late Late Show?

I saw her most recent appearance where she brought out her little bag of trinkets to put on Craig's desk (because she's been on the show so many times she figured she should have her own little corner of the desk.) The only thing I know her from is Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but I always watch her on talk shows. She's adorable.

Oh my god, you guys. I had no idea about the Kristen/Craig Ferguson thing, but I have now watched every clip of them I can find and I am OBSESSED. They're so cute together! She should totally be his sidekick. The shows in Paris? My god. Adorable.

(Note to people who have not seen them: DON'T DO IT. I lost HOURS of my life watching YouTube clips.)

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Kristen Bell's sloth love got autotuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggq6wFUw2FU

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 pm

That was hilarious! And sweet!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  schwa on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Yeah, I never really had much of an opinion about her, but her shows with Craig in Paris made me really like her.

schwa

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 pm

From John Scalzi:
A watched cell phone never completely charges.
That's annoyingly true.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Okay, this is petty and personal, but I love the fact that "My Heart Will Go On" makes Kate Winslet want to throw up every time that she hears it.

"I do feel like throwing up. I wish I could say 'Oh listen, everybody! It's the Celine Dion song!' But I don't," says Winslet. "I just have to sit there, you know, kind of straight-faced with a massive internal eye roll. Every time I go into a bar in a hotel where there's a live pianist, or into a restaurant where they're changing their music according to who walks into the door, it's thrilling for people to 'surprise me' with that song."
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:29 pm

It must be odd to be so closely associated to a song. Considering what a cheesy song it is, I can understand why she's not fond of it. But of course, it could be the greatest song of all time, and anyone would be tired of it if they had to hear it relentlessly for years and years.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Ashley Judd being awesome.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/09/ashley-judd-slaps-media-in-the-face-for-speculation-over-her-puffy-appearance.html

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:23 am

Dude, that sorta piece is long overdue. A woman has either "had work" because she looks too good to be naturally beautiful, or she needs to have work done because she's too fat or too wrinkled or something else equally trivial and shallow. I can't imagine having your physical appearance discussed (and often savaged) in the media. Even if you love how you look, you'd probably start to feel self-conscious when media outlets print stories about your weight gain as if it's headline news that actually matters. Good on Ashley Judd for speaking her mind loudly and clearly.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:23 am

She went to grad school here a couple of years ago, and I used to see her around occasionally. She was so pretty in person, (even when trying to blend in as a typical grad student with jeans/sweats and no make-up), so I confess, I was really taken aback by the recent photos. But good for her for reminding us all that women can't win.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 pm

I swear 99% of all "has this celebrity had PLASTIC SURGERY???" stories in tabloids basically involve using two picture taken in completely different lighting with completely different angles and completely different makeup, and using the fact that they look slightly different in totally different photos to insist they've had work done.

I'm amazed it's taken this long to get a piece like that. Good on her for calling out the bullshit.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:03 pm

You know, I tweeted that article and then someone on my feed came back with this:
I do have some counter points to Judd, mainly that I think she is lying about plastic surgery, which I think is lame.

But that essay as a whole is top notch.
I think that melted my irony bar.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:27 pm

basically involve using two picture taken in completely different lighting with completely different angles and completely different makeup,

My favorite is when they use a finished professional photo shoot versus a candid photo.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Wildog27 wrote:Ashley Judd being awesome.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/09/ashley-judd-slaps-media-in-the-face-for-speculation-over-her-puffy-appearance.html

Wow. I've always been anti-Judd (mostly because of the other members of her family), but now I think I have a girl crush.

And she ain't wrong. I'll probably rant about this elsewhere, but I've just unsubscribed from my last Kevin Smith podcast - Hollywood Babble-On, for this very reason. The misogeny has bothered me for a while, but today, after the second round of "ZOMG, Christina Aguilera is soooo fat," I decided I was done with them. It's a shame, because the show is frequently funny, but I just can't, not any more.

PS: Hey Kev, I'm pretty sure Christina hasn't been tossed off a plane for being too heavy.....
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:35 pm

“All I can say is that Scarlett gets to do a lot more than be hot in “Avengers”. It’s definitely dispiriting to have a woman play an heroic role and then be reduced to body parts by fan commentary, but that can only change slowly. And is.”

- Joss Whedon

I like it when Joss talks.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu May 10, 2012 9:46 pm

More from Joss.
RDA: I've seen a lot of a talk about "the Avengers" vs "the Dark Knight Rises". How will you feel if you're eclipsed by Nolan?

JW: I'm glad I made you ask that. I will feel sad. But let's look at the bigger picture, and I can't say this enough: THIS IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME. Our successes, whoever has the mostest, are a boon to each other. We're in the business of proving that superhero movies aren't just eye-candy (they're eye-TRUFFLES!). People seem intent on setting us against each other, and though I'm proud to be Woody Strode to Nolan's Kirk Douglas, I think they're missing the point. Whatever TDKR does on its first weekend, the only stat that matters to me is the ticket I'M definitely buying. Nolan and Raimi INVENTED the true superhero flick, yo. (Special mention to Jon Favreau and James Gunn.) Happy to be in the mix.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I hope that this isn't too political, but Clay Aiken was on Face The Nation. To Family Research Council President Tony Perkins:

“Between the time of 2003 and today, we’ve seen — as we’ve seen with gay marriage polling — we’ve seen minds changing,” Aiken explained. “We’ve seen people become more open and understanding of homosexuality.”

“I want to address the fact of what you just said here,” the country star said, turning to Perkins. “When my mother married my stepfather, she went to a church — a Baptist church — and since she had been divorced, they wouldn’t let her get married there. So, churches are able to decide who gets married in a church regardless.”

“Obviously, you’ve got people who make the argument that interracial relationships — back in the 70s, people made the same arguments against interracial relationships as they are making against same sex marriages today. So, I feel — I really strongly believe in the next 20 years, we’re going to look back on this and be sort of ashamed of the fact that we’re against this, just as we are ashamed today that we didn’t let people of different races get married.”

Heh. He's awesome.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed May 23, 2012 2:00 am

John Legend responding to tweets after his girlfriend Chrissy Teigen, started receiving death/rape threats and other amazingly vile shit after she tweeted a critique of Chris Brown's performance (who in that story proves he is and always will be a punk ass):

And don't ever tell me to put my "bitch on a leash". She's a grown woman with her own mind and her own opinions and this is not 1950.

Chrissy's tweets should also be in here but I had literally never heard of her before, so I don't know if she counts.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 am

I think I might be even more disturbed by Chris Brown fans than by Chris Brown. Though he doesn't help reign them in with his ridiculous "Guys, stop it! You're just letting her be a victim!" nonsense.

John Legend on the other hand, is so quality. I don't really know who Christine Teigen is, but based on her response to this I like her.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed May 23, 2012 9:42 am

She's a model who's best known for being in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, I think. Her Twitter is really entertaining and she and John Legend are adorable together.
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 am

I only know her from The Cooking Channel's Christmas Cocktails/Cookies party thingy. It's amazing how Chris Brown and his all his base can consistently find lower places, but good for Jon/Chrissy for not being bullied.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 am

I think I might be even more disturbed by Chris Brown fans than by Chris Brown.

True and disturbing. I can't even click on that link.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Thu May 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Will Smith on his daughter's sometimes wacky hair.

Like, Willow for example, we’re getting flack for letting Willow cut her hair. It’s so obvious to me that you have a little girl, and how best can you teach her that you’re in control of her body? If I teach her that I’m in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she’s going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world. Now, she can’t cut my hair. You know what I mean? But that’s her hair. She has got to have command of her body. You know, so to me there are things like that. So when she goes out into the world she’s going out with a command that is hers, and you can’t just touch her body if she doesn’t want you to touch it because she’s used to it being hers and she’s used to making that decision for herself. So it’s more about lumping the responsibility on them for their lives, as much weight as they can hold without breaking. As many decisions as they can make without breaking. That’s what we try to keep giving them until they can hold the full weight of their lives.”

He and Jada get a lot of flak for pushing their kids on the public, but this makes me think he's a really good dad.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 pm

That sounds kinda Scientology-y to me. It reminds me of vaguely remembered quotes from Tom Cruise about kids and responsibilities. Though he phrases things better than Tom.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top