Celebrity Good Quotes

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Celebrity Good Quotes

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Yes, I would find the quote a lot less...odd if Will had just said how Willow wears her hair isn't a big deal to them.

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm

I thought of that, too. However, the specific way he phrased it: making note of the fact that she's a girl, and so as she grows up she's going to have a lot of men trying to tell her what to do with her body, and he wanted to teach her early that certain things are up to her...I don't know. I liked it.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Me too. And I know black hair for women is even more rife with mines regarding a statement on looks than with other people. It's not just men that will tell her what to do, but women, society, etc. And having some control over how you looks for a kid is pretty empowering.
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve on Fri May 25, 2012 12:53 am

For some it is kind of a wild idea to empower a child with a sense of free agency fairly early on. Hair can be one of those weird control battles. Good on him for his enlightened ways.
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 pm

I don't think it's any harm that a girl learns from an early age that it's not a mad idea for her to be in charge of herself and not to have check with anyone else about things that are about her and good on Will Smith for encouraging that in his daughter, and yes, that whole thing about responsibility does remind me of Scientology speak, which makes me grimace because what other odd ideas* are they preaching in that household.
(I've always thought that Scientology had some interesting ideas about improving the self and I can see how some people would feel that this was filling a gap in their lives, but I've also always thought that Scientology is a self-help group that has trumped itself up into a religion (which it so isn't) just so it can take peoples money and sell them notions that it can't possibly deliver on).

*I find them odd anyway. Other people might not agree.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I feel like, yeah, it's kind of Scientology babble, but I don't have a problem with the underlying principle. He's right. He's teaching her to own whoever she decides to be. I kinda like that dude.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Decca on Fri May 25, 2012 5:06 pm

QueenSix: Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. If Scientology just sold itself as self-help, I wouldn't give it nearly so much side-eye. It's...weird, and not for me, but if people think it helps them, fine. It's what the organization does as an organization which gives me the serious creeps.

I always understood the Scieno child-responsibility thing to be about letting the kid make ALL decisions for themselves, and just reasoning with the kid if you disagree, because they believe children are basically miniature adults. Will Smith in this case seems to be talking about gradually giving his kids more responsibility and control over their lives, and I can't really find fault with that.

Decca

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 am

Scarlett Johansson:

Reporter: I have a question to Robert and to Scarlett. Firstly to Robert, throughout Iron Man 1 and 2, Tony Stark started off as a very egotistical character but learns how to fight as a team. And so how did you approach this role, bearing in mind that kind of maturity as a human being when it comes to the Tony Stark character, and did you learn anything throughout the three movies that you made?

And to Scarlett, to get into shape for Black Widow did you have anything special to do in terms of the diet, like did you have to eat any specific food, or that sort of thing?

Scarlett: How come you get the really interesting existential question, and I get the like, “rabbit food” question?

Video is here and the exchange begins at around 3:06. ScarJo's WTF face is pretty amusing, too.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:04 pm

She's winning me over with these quotes about food, health, and body. And let me just say, the journos are asking really boring and dopey questions.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 pm

That's awesome. Go ScarJo! Between her and Renner being adorable, her calling out a reporter for obsessing over what she was wearing under her costume, and a lot of the things she's said about female superheros, I've been really enjoying a lot of her press for The Avengers.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:33 pm

This is the most I've liked ScarJo in years. I'm beginning to think there is some sort of likability fairy around the Marvel movies because people I used to not think much of appear in a Marvel movie and then I love them.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am

A long and good apology from Jason Alexander for calling cricket "gay."

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:32 pm

An excellent apology to be sure, but once again, don't read the comments after the post. Some people are bound and determined to be offended about anything. *sigh*
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:26 am

Aussies! From Alan Brough's Facebook page: "Dingo finally found responsible for hiring prostitutes using Craig Thomson's credit card."

Charming. But funny!

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 am

Natalia Tena.

On nudity:
‘I was a bit upset about the fact that they showed my minge without hair because I think my character would have a massive bush. I would have muff, like a muff coming down the thighs.’

There's more, she's great.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Ha, Natalia Tena sounds like a fun person to hang around. And she's right, her character should have had major muffage.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:03 pm

LOL, I had forgotten she was on GoT and for a second thought she was talking about Tonks.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:41 pm

big chicken wrote:LOL, I had forgotten she was on GoT and for a second thought she was talking about Tonks.
Yeah it's like the 70's down there in Harry Potter.

I heard fromsome Starconners that she's a lot of fun and mixes well with fans taking smoking breaks.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:28 pm

It's such a shame she's apparently got a personality, when they made Tonks so TERRIBLE and BLAND. I know people didn't all love Tonks in the books, but I liked her, and like or or hate her she was certainly never dull.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Shirley Manson. This interview is from back in February, but I loved this quote:

"...But I don't want to pretend I'm young. I'm not going to play that game. I'm not going to freeze my face to sell a record. That's a trap set for women."

Madonna, she says, is the most obvious example: "The tabloids complain about her looking old, and people laugh at her for that. Then Madonna goes and fixes her face, and they laugh at her for that. Even thought they begrudgingly say she looks amazing, they'll still laugh at her for trying to look young. Then she steps out, looking amazing, and the tabloids go and blow up a picture of her aging hand. Nobody's doing that to George Clooney, blowing up pictures of his hands! I look at these magazines, and I want to say to them, What's your point? That she's aged? Does that surprise you? Or is your 'point' an attempt to undercut what she's achieved? I think it is, even if it's on a subconscious level. And you probably wouldn't turn down those hands if they were grabbing you under the table, you fucking idiots."
(Not posting this, BTW, in response to the recent Madonna boob-flashing situation; I just like the sentiment in general.)
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Shirley really is just too fuckin' awesome for words.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Okay, absolute respect to Shirley Manson on that kickass quote. That last statement is one hell of a stunner!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

I love her.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Right now, I feel like doing the Wayne and Garth "I'M NOT WORTHY" thing, because Shirley Manson? Is THE FREAKING BEST.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  themis on Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 pm

I just thought I'd post this as the antithesis to the foolishness JGL has propagated recently, it's from the very end Q&A session of Mindy Kaling's book "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" which made me cry from laughing three times.
Why didn't you talk about whether women are funny or not?
I just felt that by commenting on it in any real way, it would be tacit approval of it as legitimate debate, which it isn't. It would be the same as addressing the issue of 'Should dogs and cats be able to care for our children? They're in the house anyway.' I try not to make it a habit to seriously discuss nonsensical hot-button issues.
[quote]

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top