Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen Colbert

+4
jcpdiesel21
sagitare
Luthien
particle_person
8 posters

Go down

Stephen Colbert Empty Stephen Colbert

Post  particle_person Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 am

How Many Stephen Colberts Are There? asks the New York Times. I think this is a case of Colbert playing his version of Monopoly with real money, and the Times getting a little uptight because SRS POLITICS R SRS.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Stephen Colbert Empty Re: Stephen Colbert

Post  Luthien Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:35 am

Ever since the SuperPac stuff started, I figured it was just another way for the show to point out the flaws in the political system. It's funny, and a little scary, that a comedy show can go as far as they have in the political system.

I've always liked the brief glimpses we sometimes get of the "real" Stephen Colbert. He's so different when he takes that persona down: his face and eyes relax, his voice sounds a little different. I remember seeing him in the crowd at the Vancouver Olympics cheering the speed skaters, and it was actually "him" cheering, not the "whoooo!" fakey way his persona does. He looks a lot happier when he's the real him.

If you've ever wondered what it would be like if Stephen Colbert taught at Hogwarts, I present Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Luthien wrote:If you've ever wondered what it would be like if Stephen Colbert taught at Hogwarts, I present Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness.
I adore the idea of Colbert teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Dumbledore cleared his throat, but Professor Colbert was not finished. "You can forget your werewolves, your publicity hounds, your one-eyed imposters. I've got something they didn't have. Something that this school has, no offense to the Headmaster here, been lacking. You know what it is? I'll tell you. Balls."
This made me laugh. A lot.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 am

I love Stephen Colbert and his multiple personas, and found that article to be interesting and hugely informative.

The Colbert Report was a huge TV highlight of 2011 for me. My favorite parts of the show are when he breaks character and is trying desperately not to laugh. I am still upset that he was off shooting episodes in Iraq when I was in New York City two summers ago and wanted to see a live taping!
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 am

I seriously laughed my ass off the entire time I read I Am America and So Can You two years ago! Colbert is just so witty, no matter what persona he's taking on.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 pm

particle_person wrote:How Many Stephen Colberts Are There? asks the New York Times. I think this is a case of Colbert playing his version of Monopoly with real money, and the Times getting a little uptight because SRS POLITICS R SRS.

Very interesting article. :)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm

The Grim Colberty Tales interview segments that Stephen did with author Maurice Sendak this week were among the most hilarious, awesome things that I've ever seen on The Colbert Report. If you haven't seen them, watch them NOW and prepare to laugh a lot.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:27 pm

jcpdiesel21 wrote:The Grim Colberty Tales interview segments that Stephen did with author Maurice Sendak this week were among the most hilarious, awesome things that I've ever seen on The Colbert Report. If you haven't seen them, watch them NOW and prepare to laugh a lot.

I. Love. Maurice Sendak. He is my cranky, old spirit animal. I literally kicked my feet in the air in glee when I realized he was on Colbert. I read my daughter many of his books and adore them all. He is entirely correct that most children's books are crap.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 pm

I laughed so hard at those segments; they are priceless. I agree with Sendak: sadly, I kind of like Stephen's picture book, too. It's on par with a lot of the published children's books out there, which are mostly crap. Not unlike books for adults, which also have a high ratio of junk to good, but children's books suffer from this notion that because not as many words are required, anyone can do it. Like talk show hosts and actors and singers who should know better. I loved Sendak's opinion on e-books! I'm sure "I Am A Pole (and So Can You!)" will find a publisher. And there will be a lot of people who think it's for real.

I wonder how far Stephen takes the persona in those interviews he does. Sendak appeared to be having a lot of fun. Does Stephen break character at all? I remember reading on Neil Gaiman's blog something to the effect that when he appeared on the Colbert Report that there was a brief meeting beforehand with the "real" Colbert and then everything else was in-character. It must be hard for some guests.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Last night, he clearly just wanted to make Drew Barrymore laugh. It was cute. I like how his persona get tweaked more nowadays according to his guest.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:29 pm

That was truly excellent. His rant about e-books was a thing of beauty (and I like e-books).
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down